Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

The logging shows that EOF lost the foreground focus and regained it twice before the logging stopped (ie. program crashed). It only indicated it detected the ALT+Tab combination once though, did you use ALT+Tab once to change out of EOF and then again to change back in? Dos the crash occur as EOF leaves the foreground, as it re-enters the foreground or both?

r1353 added some logic so that when EOF re-enters the foreground, it polls the keyboard and waits until Tab is not held down before handling input normally. If you use the base RC10 release (no hotfixes applied), does the crash still happen?

I used [ALT+Tab] only two times : 1 to leave EOF and 1 more to come back in.

The crash always occurs when EOF re-enters the foreground.

If I use [Alt+Tab] to leave EOF and [mouse click] to re-enter, the crash also occurs.

I tried with v1.8RC10 (r1337) and everything works fine (no crash).

If I use [Alt+Tab] to leave EOF and [mouse click] to re-enter, the crash also occurs.

That's very odd, I'm going to add more logging to the code that runs when EOF re-enters the foreground to try to pinpoint the exact cause. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the loop that polls the keyboard and waits until Tab is not held down. I can't imagine why this would cause a problem in Windows 8 and no other version of Windows, but I may be able to alter it a bit as a bandaid. After the next EOF hotfix, please post the log again after it crashes.

Does it happen if you use the mouse to have EOF leave the foreground, and then use ALT+Tab to have it re-enter the foreground?

That's very odd, I'm going to add more logging to the code that runs when EOF re-enters the foreground to try to pinpoint the exact cause. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the loop that polls the keyboard and waits until Tab is not held down. I can't imagine why this would cause a problem in Windows 8 and no other version of Windows, but I may be able to alter it a bit as a bandaid. After the next EOF hotfix, please post the log again after it crashes.

Does it happen if you use the mouse to have EOF leave the foreground, and then use ALT+Tab to have it re-enter the foreground?

When I use the mouse to switch the context from EOF to another app and come back in EOF with ALT+Tab, there is no crash (repeated many times).

So the problem is only when EOF loses the foreground context.

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (r1371) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Adds some more debug logging to track down the cause of an ALT+Tab related crash when running EOF in Windows 8.

*Improved RS import to load capo placement and tone changes.

*Improved RS import to load linknext, accent, string mute, pinch harmonic, unpitched slide, tap and vibrato single note techniques.

*Improved RS import to load bend tech notes.

RS2 import is improved a bit. It's nowhere close to done, but it's a start. If anybody still gets that crash when using ALT+Tab and running EOF in Windows 8, please send me an updated log.

• Like 2

Hi raynebc,

Here is my new EOF log file : eof_log.txt

I used several times [click] & [Alt+Tab] without crash and [Alt+Tab] & [Alt+Tab] for the last action with hang (as expected).

When EOF hangs, it seems to enter in an infinite loop, I have to kill the process myself ...

Wow, looks like some awesome improvements, gonna check it out!

In the meantime, here is another ALT-Tab crash log.

The behaviour is still the same. And to be more precise, for me it only seems when using ALT-Tab while EOF is in the foreground. ALT-Tabbing back to EOF (when highlighted another window with the mouse before) does not cause crashes!

535: Logging started during program initialization at 02/08/15 12:48:51
535: EOF v1.8RC10 (r1371)
535: eof_load_config() entered
535: set_default_config() entered
535: eof_controller_read_button_names() entered
535: eof_controller_load_config() entered
535: eof_controller_load_config() entered
535: Importing chord shape definitions
535: eof_load_chord_shape_definitions() entered
535: Processing line #1
535: Processing line #2
535: Chord shape definition loaded
535: Processing line #3
535: Processing line #4
535: Processing line #5
535: Processing line #6
535: Processing line #7
535: Processing line #8
535: Processing line #9
535: Processing line #10
535: Processing line #11
535: Processing line #12
535: Processing line #13
535: Processing line #14
535: Processing line #15
535: Processing line #16
535: Processing line #17
535: Processing line #18
535: Processing line #19
535: Processing line #20
535: Processing line #21
535: Processing line #22
535: Processing line #23
535: Processing line #24
535: Processing line #25
535: Processing line #26
535: Processing line #27
535: Processing line #28
535: Processing line #29
535: Processing line #30
535: Processing line #31
535: Processing line #32
535: Processing line #33
535: Processing line #34
535: Processing line #35
535: Processing line #36
535: Processing line #37
535: Processing line #38
535: Processing line #39
535: Processing line #40
535: Processing line #41
535: Processing line #42
535: Processing line #43
535: Processing line #44
535: Processing line #45
535: Processing line #46
535: Processing line #47
535: Processing line #48
535: Processing line #49
535: Processing line #50
535: Processing line #51
535: Processing line #52
535: Processing line #53
535: eof_set_display_mode() entered
535: eof_window_create() entered
535: eof_scale_fretboard() entered
535: eof_load_data() entered
535: eof_init_colors() entered
535: eof_undo_reset() entered
535: Initializing audio
535: eof_mix_init() entered
535: Checking for crash recovery files
535: Entering main program loop
535: eof_emergency_stop_music() entered
535: eof_switch_out_callback() entered
535: eof_switch_in_callback() entered
535: Looping until Tab is released.
535: Tab is released.
535: eof_switch_in_callback() completed
535: Tab is released.
535: eof_switch_in_callback() completed

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Hey, Raynebc, can you correct EOF thing about RS export? It's important to set "hopo" on note if previous note is "tap" and  current is "PullOff", just working on techs generator for toolkit, it'll add techs overview like in Officials, but mine supports only basic techs for now..

Just so we're all on the same page, is the ALT+Tab issue actually a crash (Windows says the program stopped working) or is it a hang (the program just stops responding until you close it manually, such as with the Task Manager)?

Hey, Raynebc, can you correct EOF thing about RS export? It's important to set "hopo" on note if previous note is "tap" and current is "PullOff"

I don't think I understand what you're asking for. If a note is authored as a pull off, EOF should be encoding it in the XML with the hopo attribute regardless of what the previous note was. Are you wanting EOF to automatically assign the hopo attribute if the previous note (or perhaps only the previous note on the same string) was a tapped note?

Just so we're all on the same page, is the ALT+Tab issue actually a crash (Windows says the program stopped working) or is it a hang (the program just stops responding until you close it manually, such as with the Task Manager)?

By that definition it is probably a hang. In Windows 8 a "hanging program window" becomes greyish after a couple of seconds and if you click into it a popup appears, telling you the "program is not reacting" and giving you the option to terminate it or keep waiting for a response of the program. This is what happens with EOF.

While hanging, the task manager shows EOF as "inactive", with a extremely high CPU load (35%).

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

By that definition it is probably a hang. In Windows 8 a "hanging program window" becomes greyish after a couple of seconds and if you click into it a popup appears, telling you the "program is not reacting" and giving you the option to terminate it or keep waiting for a response of the program. This is what happens with EOF.

While hanging, the task manager shows EOF as "inactive", with a extremely high CPU load (35%).

As I said before, looks like an infinite loop ... Just need to detect which one ... You may add more debug information in the log file (in a specific patch)

As I said before, looks like an infinite loop ... Just need to detect which one ... You may add more debug information in the log file (in a specific patch)

there is one infinite loop:

void eof_switch_in_callback(void)
{
	eof_log("eof_switch_in_callback() entered", 1);

eof_use_key();
	eof_read_keyboard_input(1);	//Update the keyboard input variables when EOF regains focus
	eof_has_focus = 1;
	eof_log("\tLooping until Tab is released.", 1);
	while(key[KEY_TAB])//HERE
	{	//Wait until the tab key is not being held down, it often gets stuck when alt-tabbing EOF in and out of the foreground
		poll_keyboard();
	}
	eof_log("\tTab is released.", 1);
	gametime_reset();

eof_log("eof_switch_in_callback() completed", 1);
}

it's bad that we're at allegro4.4.x, I love events(ty C#).

there is one infinite loop:

while(key[KEY_TAB])//HERE
	{	//Wait until the tab key is not being held down, it often gets stuck when alt-tabbing EOF in and out of the foreground
		poll_keyboard();
	}

That's just it: That's not an infinite loop. It polls the keyboard (which updates the key[] array statuses) until the tab key is not held. In all likelihood it's a bug with Allegro that is only seen in Windows 8. I'm asking on the Allegro forum for suggestions. I'd rather have that logic still there, but not if it causes the program to not function correctly in Windows 8.

@@raynebc, It seems that it's hopo=1 if any ho\po present so yup set it 1 if any, not related to tap at all

That should be how it is set up already. Let me know if you find otherwise.

I have a problem in EOF, when i change a note to an opened string note, it will show up as a different note in rocksmith? , can someone plz tell me what i can do to fix this

I just did a song with lots of open notes and it worked perfect.

Does it do weird things when you import, like linknext hammer ons and extra bass notes for chords?

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (r1372) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Improved UltraStar import to skip the Byte Order Mark (BOM, a Unicode encoding mechanism) if one is present at the beginning of the imported file. Previously the presence of the BOM would cause the import to fail.

*Changed the logic that is used when EOF re-enters the foreground to avoid a hang that could occur in Windows 8.

*Changed the input fields for some dialogs to not automatically take focus when the mouse moves over it, requiring a click.

*Improved Guitar Pro import to offer to change the active track's arrangement type from bass to non-bass or vice-versa if that would be appropriate for the GP track being imported.

Hopefully this eliminates that Windows 8 ALT+Tab hang, let me know if that's not the case.

• Like 2

*Changed the input fields for some dialogs to not automatically take focus when the mouse moves over it, requiring a click.

Nice!

*Changed the logic that is used when EOF re-enters the foreground to avoid a hang that could occur in Windows 8.

Hopefully this eliminates that Windows 8 ALT+Tab hang, let me know if that's not the case.

The hang is gone, indeed! A major step forward, but...

when I Alt+TAB back into EOF, it seems like it behaves as if TAB is kept beeing pressed: It will skip through the difficulties rapidly in an endless loop. And if you navigate to the exit prompt for example, it will toggle between "yes" and "no" the whole time.

I have a problem in EOF, when i change a note to an opened string note, it will show up as a different note in rocksmith? , can someone plz tell me what i can do to fix this

Does it do weird things when you import, like linknext hammer ons and extra bass notes for chords?

no doesnt do weird things like that lol, i have taken a snapshot but dont know how to upload a snapshot on here as ive tried lol.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/49kmxa

The best i can do for you atm  is for you to click on this link to download the snapshot of the notes im having problems with, they are highlighted :)

no doesnt do weird things like that lol, i have taken a snapshot but dont know how to upload a snapshot on here as ive tried lol.

Not a huge issue, but if it's not much effort I'd like some modification to the Ctrl+X and dead notes in general. I'd like:

-Ctrl+X to retain the fret information when used on a note

--(currently turns the note into an X fret as well as turning on the 'muted' toggle marking it as a dead note, Rocksmith reads these as open notes)

-Ctrl+X to be a toggle, just toggling the 'muted' toggle that marks them as dead notes

-Dead note chords with the same chord shape as a non-dead note chord to copy the fingering from normal versions of the chord

--(currently have no fingering information, which has them display as a new chord box in Rocksmith rather than X boxes in the same chord shape)

I used to work around these, but coming back in I kinda forgot about these and ran into them, so I figure I'd mention them here and see if they can just be easily implemented.

I've always got the multitracks.