Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

I might make a Beat>BPM submenu as you suggested. I still haven't decided whether I want to make separate halve/double BPM functions that also adjust notes, or if I want to add a toggle-option in the submenu that specifies whether the halve/double operations will adjust notes.

Oh thats a tough choice. The question is, is the access to the operations with toggle as fast as without toggle. I have been trying to think about a few examples but its quite difficult to decide.

I think a version without toggle is more straight forward with direct access but the toggle is maybe the better design choice. But i dont know.

If you dont want to put too much thought in it just do the version without toggle that should be fine for everybody  i think hehe.

I want to poll other authors in here for the following (@@raynebc if this is even possible, I hope so):

Currently, there's an option to truncate short notes to 1 ms. Lovely feature, great way to get rid of the annoying sustain on single notes. However, lately I've been making sure that chord sustains are more accurate by forcing chords that come after a rest to draw their handshape (well, force eof to draw them :) ) if it is an identical chord to the one before it. Anyway, this sometimes leaves me with single chords that have a length of 1 ms. Playing this is kinda awkward and does not sound nice. I'd propose making an exception to this function in eof where only single notes have their duration truncated to 1 ms, but chords retain their original length. This could possibly be another user preference, so authors can choose what they like. Not truncating short chords does not clutter the screen with unnecessary sustains like single notes do, and makes for a more accurate chart.

What do you guys think?

• Administrator

Work with the selection option in EOF you can select note shorter than a certain duration then deselect all chords for exemple. There's already a lot of possibilities in there

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

It seems like something specific enough that I'm not sure if it's something many people would use as a preference. Even then, there'd probably have to be exceptions like sustains are still removed from palm muted chords since they do not ring out.

Work with the selection option in EOF you can select note shorter than a certain duration then deselect all chords for exemple. There's already a lot of possibilities in there

Never thought about that. Not as accurate, since eight notes and "faster" notes all get truncated to 0 ms, but I guess that'll work in a pinch. Thanks.

Raynebc, I just noticed that when using GP import, artificial harmonics are not imported (because RS2014 does not support A.H.s). However, pinch harmonics are essentially the same thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_harmonic : To guitar players, one variety of this technique is known as a pinch harmonic.). Would it be possible for EoF to import notes with an artificial harmonic as a pinch harmonic?

It was intended for artificial harmonic notes to import as regular harmonic notes unless the "GP import nat. harmonics only" preference was enabled, but it seems I programmed it backwards and they would only import as natural harmonics if the preference WAS enabled. I'll get that corrected for the next hotfix.

I'm not sure if it's better for artificial harmonics as a whole to import as regular harmonics (might be too broad) or as pinch harmonics (might be too specific), maybe we can get some more community input on this.

The "problem" with regular harmonics (aka natural harmonics) is that these can only be played at certain frets, like fret 5, 7, 12, 19, 24. Artificial harmonics can be played at any fret. Having said that, a pinch harmonic IS an artificial harmonic. It's just a synonym. Just one way to play an artificial harmonic.

Anything shorter than a quarter note, regardless of time signature. If a note is tied to another, or has a technique where the duration is important to keep (slide, bend, vibrato) it is not truncated no matter how short the combined length is. If you ever needed to know specifics about any menu functions or preferences, check out the manual (Help>Manual). The preferences are described in the "Configuration EOF>Preferences" section.

If a note is tied to another, or has a technique where the duration is important to keep (slide, bend, vibrato) it is not truncated no matter how short the combined length is.

Is it possible to select every single note that does not have such a technique (or any technique at all) applied to it?

Oh, and I found a bug with the way different keyboard layouts are handled ( at least, that's what I think it it): shortcuts that require two modifiers (e.g. Ctrl + Shift), do not work in my layout (a slightly modified Workman layout, found here: http://www.workmanlayout.com/. Shortcuts that require only one modifier do work. The shortcuts require the key that is in that particular physical spot to be pressed (e.g. if I switch the G and T around, I now have to press Ctrl+T instead of Ctrl+G to get the same action). Not sure if this is intended or not.

Sidenote: Had a quick convo with firekorn, who uses the azerty layout. It all works just fine for him.

I'm not sure if third party keyboard layouts will work really reliably with Allegro. Does the keyboard input in the information panel correctly reflect when you're pressing modifier keys otherwise? Depending on the keyboard, it may not be physically capable to perform certain key press combinations.

Does the keyboard input in the information panel correctly reflect when you're pressing modifier keys otherwise?

Yup. It shows when I'm pressing Ctrl, Alt, Shift, a combination of those or all of those. It also sees the input as if I'm still in QWERTY.

Finger and Frethand positions :As I'm involved in how to improve the learning process in RS,I believe that Hand and Finger positions are essential.Finger positions :can only be done when you have at least 2 notes.But how show finger position for a single note to move easy to the next note ?A typical example is to slide with the third finger on string 1 from 7 to 9to have the 1st finger ready to play the 7th fret on a higher string.I tried adding a ghost note, but RS still doesn't show which finger to use.The only way seems to define an arpeggio, though being not a real one, can be confusing.I could imagine a more ergonomic way to make finger inputs in EOF,by clicking on numbers which is 1 stepinstead of clicking in a field, delete the 0, enter the number with the keyboardwhich is 3steps and more if you missed a field or made a wrong input.It can be a very tedious repetitive procedure, I hate to do.I suppose there is no way of showing the technique of the Thumb on the E string,which is used when higher strings are combined with the low E string.Fret Handpositions :Generating them does some stupid things,and if not defined, RS does stupid things too,and I found my self ignoring them when playing.Which is an even more stupid thing to do when they are correct.It would be more ergonomic to edit Fred hand Positionin the window with the seek and generate button,rather then jumping between this window and the shortcut shift+F(I've seen the limit is fret 19, even for 24 fret notes)In EOF you can't see the Fret Handposition in the 3D view,where odd positions would become obvious at oncerather than imagining the position of a number on top of the chart.Having a real RS preview would make charters life easier.

Moving Windows:One more question : Why can't the windows be moved?Or could they be positioned the lowest possible to be able toview red notes, symbols and time.Changing Tempo :Final Question :Am I wrong in stating that EOF, selecting GP file's time signatures (which means 4/4 3/4 ...)doesn't import GP tempo changes, nor tempo decel- or accelerations ?

can I suggest that one be able to set handshapes in EOF like setting arpeggios, like an have an option to show the arpeggio chord pane or not?

Probably at some point, I just haven't decided how I wanted to implement it. A separate phrase type that behaves similarly to arpeggio phrases is kind of what I was leaning toward. 

Finger positions :can only be done when you have at least 2 notes.But how show finger position for a single note to move easy to the next note ?

I don't think Rocksmith will display fingering for any single note, only notes within a chord box. Your only other option may be to set the fret hand position to a lower fret than the note in question. For example, set the fret hand position to 5, so when they reach the note on fret 7, the note is on the 3rd highlighted lane and it implies the user should use their ring finger to play it. 

I tried adding a ghost note, but RS still doesn't show which finger to use.

Ghost notes are not supported in Rocksmith, so EOF doesn't export them to XML. 

I could imagine a more ergonomic way to make finger inputs in EOF,by clicking on numbers which is 1 step

This would be complicated to achieve based on how EOF is designed. The middle mouse button (ie. scroll wheel click) brings up the edit pro guitar note dialog, but if you think it would be convenient, I could make a user preference for it to bring up the edit frets/fingering dialog instead. This would take a step out of the process (just hover the mouse over the note, middle click, type the finger numbering in). 

instead of clicking in a field, delete the 0, enter the number with the keyboard which is 3steps and more if you missed a field or made a wrong input.It can be a very tedious repetitive procedure, I hate to do.

EOF doesn't put a 0 as a default value for fingerings, by default it's blank. For fret numbering, you don't even have to delete the 0, just type after it (it will consider "015" and "15" to be the same number). 

I suppose there is no way of showing the technique of the Thumb on the E string, which is used when higher strings are combined with the low E string.

You can enter either the letter T or the number 0 to specify the use of the thumb in a chord fingering. 

Generating them does some stupid things

EOF can't guess what the author's intention is, it only provides usable automated fingerings if none are manually defined. 

It would be more ergonomic to edit Fred hand Positionin the window with the seek and generate button,rather then jumping between this window and the shortcut shift+F

I can look into adding an edit button to that dialog. 

(I've seen the limit is fret 19, even for 24 fret notes)

I don't know if Rocksmith 2 supports setting a fret hand position higher than 19. It is guaranteed to crash Rocksmith 1, and Rocksmith 2 doesn't score notes on frets higher than 22 from what I recall. 

In EOF you can't see the Fret Handposition in the 3D view,where odd positions would become obvious at oncerather than imagining the position of a number on top of the chart.

I don't think it would be any more obvious if they were displayed in the 3D view. If you set the "top of 2D pane shows" preference to "hand pos", it will display exactly where all fret hand position changes are, including a vertical line showing how they line up with notes. This is the most accurate way they could possibly be displayed. 

Having a real RS preview would make charters life easier.

It would, but that would take a very large amount of work. It's something I've previously added to a wish list of features. 

One more question : Why can't the windows be moved?Or could they be positioned the lowest possible to be able toview red notes, symbols and time.

This is mostly a limitation of the graphics library EOF is using (Allegro). 

Am I wrong in stating that EOF, selecting GP file's time signatures (which means 4/4 3/4 ...)doesn't import GP tempo changes, nor tempo decel- or accelerations ?

By design, GP import does not import any tempo changes. The best results are generally always achieved by manually syncing the beat markers, although some people also use tools like Go PlayAlong as another means of syncing the tablature, and then importing that timing data into EOF. If you really wanted to use a GP file's tempos as a starting point, you can have GP export a MIDI, and then import that MIDI in EOF as a new project. Just keep in mind that if you're using an audio recording instead of a synthesized performance, you'll still have to sync the chart to the audio.
  • Like 1

• Administrator

RS2014 goes to 24 on the fret number, never seen more tho but i supposed nobody tried to chart a 30 fret songs because we're assuming RS doesn't support it in the first place, so it might actually worth a try.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity