Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

I recently noticed that GP import ignored tremolo (not a big deal in that case but I might want to do some surf stuff), also I think something called ghost notes was not imported (or maybe just not exported in any way to RS XML, but also looked fine, so no big deal too).

Are you aware of it? Is there a list of techniques not supported in import/export? Is there a plan to add support for them?

I've spotted bug on last EOF builds, when I hit ctrl+X EOF creates string mutes, but on 0 fret instead of setuped frets, can you  implement logic that would fill fret values from previous chord, dunno if its ok to left original shord fret number so use base fret for all used strings... its annoying to check it each time hit that hotkey :)

I recently noticed that GP import ignored tremolo (not a big deal in that case but I might want to do some surf stuff), also I think something called ghost notes was not imported (or maybe just not exported in any way to RS XML, but also looked fine, so no big deal too).Are you aware of it? Is there a list of techniques not supported in import/export? Is there a plan to add support for them?

Tremolo strumming imports fine for me. Ghost notes also imports (though they are mostly used for arepggios)... unless this is something fairly new and those are now ignored?

My CDLC Workshop

Feedback is always appreciated! :)

I recently noticed that GP import ignored tremolo

EOF is actually importing that as a difficulty-specific phrase, ie. it won't show up when the difficulty limit is in effect (ie. the difficulties are named instead of numbered), but if you remove the difficulty limit, it should show up. I'm not sure if it would be better or worse to change this behavior, it depends entirely on how the author is using GP files, some author each difficulty in Guitar Pro, some author only the full transcription.

also I think something called ghost notes was not imported (or maybe just not exported in any way to RS XML, but also looked fine, so no big deal too).

Ghost notes should import from GP files, but they will not export to XML because it's not a supported technique. Grace notes don't import from GP files, but that's not a supported technique in RS either. Without checking all of them right now, I'm pretty sure just about every technique that Rocksmith supports is imported from GP files.

I've spotted bug on last EOF builds, when I hit ctrl+X EOF creates string mutes, but on 0 fret instead of setuped frets

That is expected behavior. CTRL+X indicates all strings are muted and have no specific fret value. You can use the "Toggle string mute" function (SHIFT+X) to preserve the fret values of the note.

can you implement logic that would fill fret values from previous chord, dunno if its ok to left original shord fret number so use base fret for all used strings... its annoying to check it each time hit that hotkey :)

It probably isn't something I'd be able to get around to doing for a while. The to do list is pretty huge.

EOF is actually importing that as a difficulty-specific phrase, ie. it won't show up when the difficulty limit is in effect (ie. the difficulties are named instead of numbered), but if you remove the difficulty limit, it should show up. I'm not sure if it would be better or worse to change this behavior, it depends entirely on how the author is using GP files, some author each difficulty in Guitar Pro, some author only the full transcription.

I do only full transcription in EOF, I don't modify anything. I import into "Amazing" I guess, EOF starts like that by default, if that's what you mean by named. I'll look around for the tremolo.Do you know about techniques that could be downgraded into something else? Or is there already such conversion?As for more techniques I was not sure about:- "trill" which sounds in MIDI same as tremolo but goes to higher picking frequencies (tremolo 3 levels starting with 1/8 picking, trill has also 3 starting with 1/16 picking so two levels are translatable into tremolo)- slide that goes nowhere, I'm not sure what is that supposed (I think it's exported as 1 fret slide)So additional question is what are RS1/RS2 techniques which can't be imported from GP and do you see a way to do it?For example unpitched slides (I didn't find a way to do that in tab). I can imagine having some technique descriptions for such techniques in text notes and at some point I may write a code to do it (need to think about the format though, how long it can be and there can be a need for having both section name and technique description at single note).

I do only full transcription in EOF, I don't modify anything. I import into "Amazing" I guess, EOF starts like that by default, if that's what you mean by named. I'll look around for the tremolo.

"Named" is whenever the difficulty limit has not been removed. If you remove the difficulty limit, "Amazing" difficulty becomes difficulty number 3, and the imported tremolo phrase will be visible. I had to make this phrase type able to applied to an individual difficulty instead of the entire track because that's how Rocksmith allows it to be used. In Rock Band, phrases like that apply to the same time range of all difficulties in the track.

Do you know about techniques that could be downgraded into something else? Or is there already such conversion?

I don't understand the question.

- "trill" which sounds in MIDI same as tremolo but goes to higher picking frequencies (tremolo 3 levels starting with 1/8 picking, trill has also 3 starting with 1/16 picking so two levels are translatable into tremolo)

Rocksmith doesn't support that as a specific techniq, you'd have to author all of the hammer ons and pull offs manually.

- slide that goes nowhere, I'm not sure what is that supposed (I think it's exported as 1 fret slide)

Guitar Pro allows you to author these as slides into or out of a note. However, since Rocksmith requires more information than that (ie. the end position of the slide), EOF has to put something in there so it will default to one fret in the appropriate direction if the position is not given.

So additional question is what are RS1/RS2 techniques which can't be imported from GP and do you see a way to do it?

I'm not aware of any. If anybody identifies a relevant technique EOF has missed, let me know.

For example unpitched slides (I didn't find a way to do that in tab).

In Guitar Pro, you can select a note/chord and use the Effects>Slide menu to specify that the note/chord slides in from above/below or to slide out and upwards/downwards. This is the equivalent of unpitched slides in Rocksmith. However since Rocksmith doesn't support an unpitched slide in, EOF converts that as a slide from a lower note.

Thanks for the answers, I will let you know if I bump into more technique import/export issues.I think I saw you mention limitations with chord slides (slide all notes only by same offset?). I am also not aware of a way to add RS-style arpeggios to tab (might be the use case for special text marker description I was talking about). Are there any known chord and chordNotes related limitations? 

Do you know about techniques that could be downgraded into something else? Or is there already such conversion?

I don't understand the question.

I don't have any example but I meant that techniques not supported in RS would be converted into something that makes sense instead of being ignored. 

In Guitar Pro, you can select a note/chord and use the Effects>Slide menu to specify that the note/chord slides in from above/below or to slide out and upwards/downwards. This is the equivalent of unpitched slides in Rocksmith. However since Rocksmith doesn't support an unpitched slide in, EOF converts that as a slide from a lower note.

Not supported in TuxGuitar, I guess...BTW I started making notes about supported/unsupported techniques and issues in my tutorial (if anyone has some input on current state of import, how to tab various techniques or how to replace them with something similar, I will update it accordingly)

Hey rayne, is there some sort of guide or manual for utilizing the capo feature yet? I'm kinda confused as to how I'm supposed to author capo arrangements mainly because the chord names and midi tones stay the same, regardless of whether I put a value other than 0 into the "set capo" field..

I'm also getting errors recently trying to import unpacked cdlc arrangements (the log says: "error reading tuning values from XML. Aborting"

I spent most of yesterday starting to learn to work with EOF... (yes, I read the manual!). Amazing program!

I have a couple questions about the interface:

Is there a way to maximize the app to fit my screen? The maximize button is grayed out. Are you planning to add this? Not only are my eyes 'older' but I'm also colorblind -- the larger I can make the image, the easier it will be to work with. I've changed the display width, of course, but why not just maximize it? (Also, when I tried the 2X option, it crashed the program.)

Also, do you have ways to break out the different panels? I work on two screens, it'd be nice to be able to rearrange elements. Or have one screen for the piano roll and the second for the tech notes piano roll.

I think it would be interesting to have breakout tool panels (like Photoshop, for example), for some of the actions.

Another thing I noticed is that playback stops if EOF is no longer the active screen -- I was trying to compare the song in EOF to another version of the same song. Is this a feature?

Lastly, is there a manual/how-to for working with notes? The tutorial only covers placing gems, but these aren't actually notes.

I think I saw you mention limitations with chord slides (slide all notes only by same offset?).

The standard behavior for chords with slide technique in EOF is for all of the fretted notes to slide the same number of frets. You would have to use tech notes to manually set the end slide position of strings if you wanted to override this. 

I am also not aware of a way to add RS-style arpeggios to tab (might be the use case for special text marker description I was talking about).

I'm not sure if there's a good way to "fake" authoring something like this in Guitar Pro or TuxGuitar, it would probably be more complicated than just adding the arpeggio notation in EOF. 

Are there any known chord and chordNotes related limitations?

Like what? The biggest one I can think of right now is that as of the current revision, EOF won't allow you to define a chord where the strings have different sustain lengths. I'm working on another status that will allow you to place tech notes to define the stop position of individual strings in a chord. 

I don't have any example but I meant that techniques not supported in RS would be converted into something that makes sense instead of being ignored.

I suppose with things like grace notes or trills, Guitar Pro doens't define the notes you hear during playback in the tab, they're just techniques that are applied. I'd prefer not to have EOF add notes that aren't explicitly defined. 

Hey rayne, is there some sort of guide or manual for utilizing the capo feature yet?

Just what's in the EOF manual. You set the capo position and then EOF handles the rest. 

I'm kinda confused as to how I'm supposed to author capo arrangements mainly because the chord names and midi tones stay the same, regardless of whether I put a value other than 0 into the "set capo" field..

This is most likely the option to ignore the tuning/capo setting that forces chords to be named as if the guitar was in standard tuning with no capo. Some musicians prefer this. If you see the C=# indication at the left edge of the piano roll, then the capo is in effect. 

I'm also getting errors recently trying to import unpacked cdlc arrangements (the log says: "error reading tuning values from XML. Aborting"

I'd probably have to see the XML file, it may not be correct.

Double post because the forum didn't seem to allow me to make a big post with this included with the previous one:

Is there a way to maximize the app to fit my screen? The maximize button is grayed out. Are you planning to add this? Not only are my eyes 'older' but I'm also colorblind -- the larger I can make the image, the easier it will be to work with. I've changed the display width, of course, but why not just maximize it? (Also, when I tried the 2X option, it crashed the program.)
There is no good way to make that maximize button work, complications involved with the Allegro game library that EOF uses. I haven't seen a way to have the x2 feature crash. Are you sure the program crashes or EOF just says that it couldn't set the display size and it reverts back? Your computer's screen resolution will have to actually be big enough to fit the entire EOF window or else EOF won't be able to set the window size and will revert to the previous size. You may have to set the default screen size of 640x480 and go from there, trying to set the x2 zoom, then trying to set a custom window width to use up more room on your screen. 

Also, do you have ways to break out the different panels? I work on two screens, it'd be nice to be able to rearrange elements. Or have one screen for the piano roll and the second for the tech notes piano roll.
There's also no easy way to do this. EOF isn't developed with graphical libraries that make this sort of thing easy. That said, you can enable the secondary piano roll, which would allow you to display the regular notes in the bottom piano roll and the tech notes in the top one. 

Another thing I noticed is that playback stops if EOF is no longer the active screen -- I was trying to compare the song in EOF to another version of the same song. Is this a feature?
This is intentional behavior. You won't be able to play back the audio in two different EOF instances at the same time, unless you're using multiple computers or something. If you wanted though, you could load a different OGG file as the chart audio (File>Load OGG) and play the chart back, so you can see what the tablature would look like with that audio. 

Lastly, is there a manual/how-to for working with notes? The tutorial only covers placing gems, but these aren't actually notes.
The tutorial covers the foundational concepts of working with and manipulating notes, and the pro guitar tutorial covers the jump into real guitar arrangements. Those two should get you started.

I bumped into GPA sync import bug (maybe not a bug but something EOF didn't complain loudly about). I found out it happens when start of first measure comes at -N seconds because there is steady BPM between 0 and first link but too little actual time. The result was that measures started shifted and by measure 15/16 it got to where they were supposed to be.

I tried to fix that by setting first measure at 0 and actualy placed it at slightly before 0 which caused EOF to complain about malformed XML (negative time), that's another bug. When I placed it slightly after 0, EOF set delay to 6 and everything matches. I've never seen delay after GPA import so probably all of my customs are affected?

So EOF should not import when this happens or fix it automatically (I was actually thinking if negative delay would be possible, that could be useful in some cases too and also would fix this).

update: it seems that not allowing to convert the delay caused riff repeater section weirdness, I am not able to select first section... (actually the second section appears to be first section, just weird) never mind, it was caused by blank phrase names again

I can't make any guarantees, but if you can send me an example GPA file that has a negative timestamp, I'll see if there's a good way for EOF to handle that.  If not, I can ensure EOF complains about it more overtly.

That was not a point. The point is when start of first measure falls before zero (there is no actual link there), EOF will silently shift it to 0 and I don't really understand what happens because between measure 1 and 16 this shift is slowly corrected.  I'm sending you an example, you can compare sync times with actual EOF measure times and see and hear for yourself.

BTW you have yet to push the blank phrase fix

Thanks raynebc! You were right I for some reason had the "ignore capo/tuning" option checked so after unchecking it the chord names changed. I never looked for/noticed it, but I got the "C=" thingy at the beginning of the song as well so I know for sure it works now

However, the midi tones still stay the same... I don't really need it but wanted to point it out anyway

Here is a zip of some arrangements that I can't import as of eof r1299: http://www.sendspace.com/file/o4gtqd

In eof it says "Failure. Check log for details" And in the log it's always that tuning value error

That was not a point. The point is when start of first measure falls before zero (there is no actual link there), EOF will silently shift it to 0 and I don't really understand what happens because between measure 1 and 16 this shift is slowly corrected.  I'm sending you an example, you can compare sync times with actual EOF measure times and see and hear for yourself.

I'll take a look at it. The way EOF calculates the beat timings makes the negative timestamps a bit troublesome, but I'll see what can be done. The timing is probably corrected at the first non negative sync point. 

BTW you have yet to push the blank phrase fix

I often work on several things before I commit the changes, but the next revision will probably be up very soon. I wanted to get the stop tech note status implemented first. 

However, the midi tones still stay the same... I don't really need it but wanted to point it out anyway

I'll have to try it myself to see. 

Here is a zip of some arrangements that I can't import as of eof r1299: http://www.sendspace.com/file/o4gtqdIn eof it says "Failure. Check log for details" And in the log it's always that tuning value error

I'll look into it.

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (r1300) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Improved GP import to ignore section markers with no name instead of importing them as text events.

*Improved handling of linkNext tech notes so that they will cause a chord that follows to be exported as single notes, just as when normal notes have linkNext status applied.

*Changed GP import logic so that whether a tremolo phrase imports to be specific to the active track difficulty depends on if the "GP import replaces active track" preference is disabled or if the track's difficulty limit has been removed. If either of those conditions is true, the tremolo phrase is made difficulty specific (Rocksmith style tremolo authoring) and will only be visible when the track difficulty limit is not in effect. Otherwise the phrase applies to all track difficulties (Rock Band 3 style tremolo authoring).

*Added a new "stop" status that can be applied to tech notes. A stop tech note defines the end position of the affected string of the note it overlaps, allowing you to author chords with notes that have different lengths. If the stop tech note is at the start position of the note it affects, that note is exported with no sustain.

I'll take a look at it. The way EOF calculates the beat timings makes the negative timestamps a bit troublesome, but I'll see what can be done. The timing is probably corrected at the first non negative sync point.

It was getting late but I think I figured it out, the reason I described was correct but I know how to prevent it now (will try it out when I get home). Basically the EOF's assumption that first measure starts at 0:00 is different to GPA which seems to use steady BPM of the first link before it and therefore first measure will fall before or after 0:00.I placed first link on measure 19 and the tab starts earlier, I have to place the first one on/before the actual first note of any of the arrangements I care about. Because of the electronic backbeat it was properly synced but EOF shift of measure 1 to 0:00 threw it off.Unfortunately this is something you maybe won't be able to prevent because you need to know which GP track is to be imported and then check if the first note comes before first link. Or can you tell where the first link was after you import sync? 

I often work on several things before I commit the changes, but the next revision will probably be up very soon. I wanted to get the stop tech note status implemented first.

So you don't push commits until you do release? Damned SVN, you could be doing minor fixes with git branches easily...

I can push as many code commits as I want, it's completely simple. Sometimes there are several commits between hotfixes. My making fewer, larger commits is a personal preference to keep the revision number from bloating up too quickly instead of a reflection on how easy or difficult SVN is to use.

I can push as many code commits as I want, it's completely simple. Sometimes there are several commits between hotfixes. My making fewer, larger commits is a personal preference to keep the revision number from bloating up too quickly instead of a reflection on how easy or difficult SVN is to use.

Well, if it's your preference... I just hope you don't lose any code when your drive fails.

BTW do you see a way to author tone changes in GP tab?  (Maybe another use case for text marker descriptions along with arpeggio chord name and vibrato frequency).  I guess this one is not so important as they stay even if I clear events but entering it manually is not much fun.

Yesterday I got an error never seen before with toolkit. When I had to save package to create dlc and when I tried to generate it...I got this error:

"the file ....REAL PART GUITAR RS2showlight does not extist...."

But...In arrangements I Imported correct xml REAL PART GUITAR RS2

Why that message??? Why add showlight to my xml? I don't understand... :(

Yesterday I got an error never seen before with toolkit. When I had to save package to create dlc and when I tried to generate it...I got this error:"the file ....REAL PART GUITAR RS2showlight does not extist...." But...In arrangements I Imported correct xml REAL PART GUITAR RS2 Why that message??? Why add showlight to my xml? I don't understand... :(

Do you have the latest version of the toolkit? The last version generates the showlight file.

My CDLC Workshop

Feedback is always appreciated! :)