Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (2-20-2019) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Fixes bugs with audio handling introduced by the previous hotfix.

*Improved Feedback import to allow the selected audio file to be named bass.ogg, keys.ogg or crowd.ogg instead of creating a copy named guitar.ogg.

*Added an "Enable open strum by default" preference that will take effect for new projects.

*Improved the new chart wizard so that if Rocksmith export is enabled, and neither FoF nor Rock Band exports are enabled, pro guitar tracks have their difficulty limits removed by default to suit Rocksmith authoring.

*Fixed a bug where clicking the "Auto-Adjust sections/FHPs", "Auto-Adjust tech notes" or "EOF leaving focus stops playback" checkbox immediately after clicking the Default button in the Preferences dialog causes the dialog to be closed.

*Improved the "Validate tempo map" function to correct the first beat's position if it doesn't match the delay value defined in Song>Properties.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!

I am trying to design a custom GH like game based on the Montreux Jazz archives. I work in Unity3D and use the Chartloader asset:

This asset, to my understanding, only loads .chart files.

I understood that EOF was much better than feedback, that produces the .chart files, but I cannot read anywhere how to generate the .chart files with EOF. Did I miss something?

Otherwise, is there any trick to load the exports of EOF into Feedback and get the .chart files out of it?

Thanks in advance

EOF doesn't write .chart files. You could try one of the converters that can translate between a chart and MIDI file. You could also try Moonscraper, which is a chart editor for the game Clone Hero that can import a MIDI and save in its native .chart format.

@@raynebc A bug in the latest version (2-20-2019) I would say....when in EOF going over "Track" -> "Rocksmith" the selection options open on the left so if I go to "Fret Hand Positions" (for example) and want to move with my mouse to "Set" it closes before I can reach it.

Same problem with "Song" -> "Seek" -> "Note".

It's more of an Allegro bug than anything else, as it doesn't handle drawing multiple submenus on top of each other well. There are some workarounds:

1. Use keyboard accelerators: When a menu item has an underline, you can activate it by pressing that key on the keyboard, ie. use ALT+T to open the track menu, then press R to select the Rocksmith submenu, then press H to select the "Fret hand positions" submenu and then press S to select the Set function.

2. Use keyboard shortcuts: Some menu functions have a function key or key sequence listed to the right edge of the menu to indicate a way you can use the function without even having to open the menu. The shortcut for the set fret hand position function is SHIFT+F.

3. Increase the width of the program window. You can make EOF's window larger by using File>Display>Display and picking a pre-set window size or setting a custom size. You can also simply enable the Notes panel (File>Display>Notes panel>Enable or simply CTRL+P) to make the window 50% wider than any of the pre-set sizes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the past day or so, Mediafire counted dozens of new downloads for RC12. If it's still not working for you, try restarting your browser and possibly clearing its cache and cookies in case it's trying to use a retired Mediafire server or something. If it still doesn't work, let me know and I can contact Mediafire support to ask why their servers are having problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (5-2-2019) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Implements an eof_lyric_gap_multiplier config file setting (can be manually edited while EOF isn't running) that will affect lyrics when they are placed or have their lengths altered with the [ or ] keys or the scroll wheel, by enforcing a gap around affected lyrics. This gap is equal to the current grid snap setting multiplied by the eof_lyric_gap_multiplier value, which is meant to be a number greater than 0 and less than 1, ie. 0.5.

*Fixed a RS import bug that could prevent tech notes from being parsed correctly.

*Adds a minor efficiency improvement to pro guitar MIDI export by omitting repeated root notes when the same chord is authored repeatedly, as suggested by Ruggy.

*Changed the Feedback import menu function name to include "(.chart)" to clarify the file type in question.

*Added a "File>Default INI settings" function where you can define song.ini entries to be automatically added to new charts.

*Changed the "Load OGG" dialog to initialize itself to the current project's folder, since EOF doesn't allow loading an OGG file from someplace else.

*Fixed a bug where drum rolls wouldn't import correctly for QB format Guitar Hero files (ie. Guitar Hero Smash Hits).

*Changed the length threshold for drum rolls in GH import to 140ms, since some official charts used drum lengths as long as 138ms even though they don't display as drum fills in-game. Drum notes that meet this length threshold are given crazy status so that they will also export to MIDI with sustain.

*Allowed disjointed and crazy statuses to be applied to drum notes, since some Guitar Hero charts author this (ie. drum swells overlapping bass drum notes). A "Disjointed" submenu was added to Note>Drums.

*Updated GH import to read accent notes and disjointed chords. When accent status is found during GH import, EOF will prompt whether it's from one of a list of specific games, which define accent notes in a different lane order. Some types of ghost notes (ie. from Warriors of Rock) are read and interpreted as snare notes and will be highlighted during import, but the definition of drum chords that include ghost notes on red/orange is unknown.

*Changed MIDI export to allow drum notes to export with sustain if they have crazy status (which disjointed notes are given automatically during GH import).

*Changed the accent status behavior so that a note can have different accent status for a given gem than that of the note at that position in another difficulty, as is done in some Guitar Hero charts.

*Removed the logic that tracks the chart's MIDI delay separately per OGG file, since this isn't handled well by the undo/redo logic and is probably more harmful than helpful to most people.

*Changed MIDI export and import to use a velocity of 127 to define accented drum notes, for future use in Phase Shift. When accented drum notes are present, "drum_accent_threshold = 127" is written to the project's song.ini file.

*Added a prompt to the Mac build suggesting the default song folder (for new projects) to be defined if it isn't already, since the default location is the program's parent folder, which in OS X is inside the application bundle and is more awkward to access.

*Fixed a bug with QB GH file import where the section events would be deleted after the prompt about whether they were in the desired language.

*Improved GH import so that if the "song_aux" instrument sections are reached and there were no notes imported from the "song_rhythmcoop" sections, EOF prompts whether to import the aux notes into PART RHYTHM instead of PART KEYS.

*Added a "Don't write INI file" export preference that will prevent EOF from writing a song.ini file during save even if MIDI files are written.

*Allowed open notes to have crazy status so they can overlap other notes, since this is used in at least one GHWT chart and is supported by Clone Hero.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your hard work on this. I have a request if possible. I'm an old dude and things ain't what they used to be. Any way we may be able to get the ability to adjust the resolution of the screen? If there is a way how in the blazes do you do it cause i'm going blind working on charts. You may have, and probably have, answered this before but I cant find it.

Thanks,

NetRngr 

You can use the "File>Display>x2 zoom" feature if you don't mind the main menu displaying kind of glitchy until the menu is opened. Otherwise you'd need to lower the resolution in the operating system itself, which has the effect of making everything appear larger inside EOF and outside.

Hello everyone.

Why not make it possible to enlarge the screen automatically with a button to click like any software for Windows?

I guess this is due to the programming complexity.

The graphics library EOF is using doesn't seem to offer a simple, multi-platform way of using the maximize window control. I could add a different button to click on but that would be counter-intuitive. It also doesn't make the content larger as was requested, it just makes the program window larger.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (6-12-2019) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Removed the creation of the ghwt_drum.array.txt file written during save (if. GH file export is enabled) and instead updated EOF to write a proper array.txt file that should have correct expert drum note data that can be used with QueenBee.

*Fixed a crash that would occur during MIDI import if the chart being imported had more than 1000 slider phrases.

*Improved the detection of open strum text events in Feedback import.

*Corrected the application of HOPO status to chords during Feedback import so that even if a toggle HOPO or slider marker is defined in between the chord's gems, those gems are recognized to be a chord.

*Corrected Feedback import to ensure notes that start at the end of a star power phrase do not have star power applied to them, regardless of whether the phrase ends on a beat marker.

*Corrected Feedback import to not apply disjointed status to a chord when it has a slider marker with a different length than the chord.

*Fixed a bug with MIDI import where section names for slider markers (which are not currently used) weren't made into empty strings and could save to project or track clone to clipboard with junk data.

*Updated the piano roll comparison function to also compare notes' accent statuses.

*Added a "File>Import>Queen Bee" function that imports an array.txt formatted file, as is how Queen Bee exports the raw notes for a track difficulty (ie. SONGNAME_song_Expert) or the beat positions (SONGNAME_fretbars section).

*Made the tempo map validation logic less susceptible to number rounding errors, which can be introduced by very specific tempo maps and even compiler optimizations.

*Updated the save logic to not write a WAV format copy of the chart audio (used for Rocksmith authoring) if there are no pro guitar notes or tech notes.

*Updated Guitar Hero and Queen Bee imports to detect GH3/GHA note format, which defines each note with 12 bytes instead of 8 bytes as with newer formats, allowing earlier GH charts to be imported properly. Since this GH format uses a distance threshold to determine HOPO status, EOF will ask you to choose whether to use 66/192 or 100/192 as the HOPO threshold, since it can supposedly vary from chart to chart even within the same game.

*Updated the leading silence failure message to suggest using the re-encode option if the stream copy option was being attempted when the process failed.

*Improved the GH import logic to offer to import the aux guitar notes into PART BASS if the rhythm track is populated but the bass track is empty.

*Improved QB format Guitar Hero import to handle star battle mode phrases. If a track has both normal and battle SP phrases, EOF will prompt which of the two types to import or both. Any track that has only one kind of SP phrase will have those phrases imported regardless of the prompt.

*Improved GH import to shorten SP phrases as needed to ensure they don't include notes that start at the end position of an SP phrase, as it is done in Guitar Hero.

*Added the ability to display a background.pcx image from EOF's "resources" folder in place of the normal solid gray coloring.

*Renamed the "Save FoF/Phase Shift files" export preference to "Save FoF/CH/Phase Shift files" to reflect that this saves appropriate files for Clone Hero as well.

*Updated 3D render logic so that its optimization logic (to stop drawing notes that would all be off-screen) doesn't prevent crazy notes' tails from rendering appropriately when the seek position is past a note but the prior note extends beyond it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm new to use EOF.

I'm having problems with changing the BPM of the song. It won't allow me to change it from the default 120.

The cursor shows in the window, but I try backspace and deleting the number but it's like the program is not responding to my keyboard.

I can't use the shortcut keys either. (I'm using a laptop.)

I've have the most recent hotfix installed.

Do ANY other input fields in other dialogs (ie. Song>Properties) accept input? Does keyboard input work outside of the menus (ie. left and right arrow keys to seek)? There may be something unusual about the laptop, but if you had a cheap USB keyboard around you could give that a try.

Do ANY other input fields in other dialogs (ie. Song>Properties) accept input? Does keyboard input work outside of the menus (ie. left and right arrow keys to seek)? There may be something unusual about the laptop, but if you had a cheap USB keyboard around you could give that a try.

No other input fields accept input and keyboard input outside of menus also does not work.

Then there's something exotic about your keyboard or the software that it runs with, just how high polling resolution mice don't work well in programs that use Allegro (a game development library EOF uses).

When you press keys, do you see any activity on the line int he Information Panel that says:

CTRL: ALT: SHIFT: CODE: ASCII:

If you try a cheap USB keyboard, let me know if it works differently. Otherwise there's probably not much else I can suggest.

Then there's something exotic about your keyboard or the software that it runs with, just how high polling resolution mice don't work well in programs that use Allegro (a game development library EOF uses).

When you press keys, do you see any activity on the line int he Information Panel that says:

CTRL: ALT: SHIFT: CODE: ASCII:

If you try a cheap USB keyboard, let me know if it works differently. Otherwise there's probably not much else I can suggest.

There is no activity in the information panel.

I'll see if I can find another keyboard and let you know.