Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

• Developer

Any developers opposed to me relaxing EOF's restrictions to allow (printable) extended ASCII characters for Rocksmith lyrics?

I'd say, show me an ODLC that uses extended characters before considering adding them to lyrics.  Toolkit and EOF have been rock solid since we adopted ODLC character standards.  :plus1:

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

I think that's a reasonable threshold.  I skimmed through the list of artist and song names, but didn't really find much:

Accented e characters in artist name in-game

Umlauts in artist name in-game

Umlaut in song name in-game, but not in the displayed lyrics when "Uberlin" is sung (at about 5:23).  I couldn't immediately find any official Rocksmith songs with accented characters in the lyrics.

The problem is that unless it can be shown that official songs use these characters, it's not a safe assumption that the game is designed to use them properly, and crashes (in the past deemed to be associated with using special characters) may be harder to diagnose.  Even though the font set posted above includes capital U with an umlaut, official DLC authors avoided using that character in the lyrics of the song Uberlin when it would have been appropriate.  This may have been a mistake or there may have been a reason for it.

Sounds like the official chart authors are inconsistent.  I know your screen capture showed that the custom was able to have lyrics with special characters, but I thought that the toolkit was also filtering out such characters in some instances?  I want to check if this is the case, because otherwise it could cancel out any new preference in EOF to allow extended ASCII.

• Developer

The problem is that unless it can be shown that official songs use these characters, it's not a safe assumption that the game is designed to use them properly, and crashes (in the past deemed to be associated with using special characters) may be harder to diagnose.  Even though the font set posted above includes capital U with an umlaut, official DLC authors avoided using that character in the lyrics of the song Uberlin when it would have been appropriate.  This may have been a mistake or there may have been a reason for it.

@raynebc  I could not agree more.  If it is not in ODLC it does not belong in CDLC.  @Chlipoini  why would you want to introduce CDLC that are not compliant with ODLC standards (rhetorical)? 

Oh, and if someone says, "because I can" they owe me $10 bucks.  Ok.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

The above posts have some limited examples of accented characters (in artist names, song names and lyrics) in official charts.  If there were more ODLC in foreign languages we'd probably see more examples, but at this point it's hard to tell exactly how supported extended ASCII is by the game before the breaking point is reached and the game crashes.

@Chlipoini  why would you want to introduce CDLC that are not compliant with ODLC standards (rhetorical)? 

I want to use extended characters because Ubisoft uses them in their DLCs (artist name, song title and lyrics).

The evidences of such use by Ubisoft have been given in the previous posts ...

If I follow your rule, I would forbid the existence of CDLCs that :

- doesn't have a correct BPM and Time Signature

- doesn't well sync the notes with the rhythm

- doesn't use DD

- ... and so on ...

simply because these bad usages are not in ODLCs

• Like 1

• Developer

@Chlipoini "The evidences of such use by Ubisoft have been given in the previous posts"  Please provide the links.

Thanks to @@iminashi and others, the ODLC character standards were studied ad nauseam and implemented here.  I  don't really care to revisit this, but I am more than willing to if someone can pull together and provide a summary list of the ODLC (see format below) along with the special characters that are used in those ODLC so that the character standard used by the toolkit and EOF can be revised as needed.  Since ODLC character standards and validation have been implemented by toolkit and EOF, we have seen a significant decrease in CDLC crashers and jammers.

Song artist, title and album names already allow some special character usage based on the previous study of ODLC.  I support allowing new special characters if there is evidence of usage in ODLC.

ODLC Name:

Special Characters Used in Lyrics:

Special Characters Used in Artist, Title, Album Name:

Special Characters Used in Sortable Artist, Title, Album Name: 

ODLC Name : Megadeth - À Tout le Monde

Special Characters Used in Lyrics : À

Special Characters Used in TitleÀ

ODLC Name : Sigur Rós - Gobbledigook

Special Characters Used in LyricsÞ ú æ í á Ó ó ö ð

ODLC Name : Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil

Special Characters Used in Artist Name : ö ü

ODLC Name : R.E.M. - Überlin

Special Characters Used in Title : Ü

• Developer

Found a couple more.

ODLC Name: Ritchie Valens - La Bamba

Special Characters Used in Lyrics: í é

ODLC Name: Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Piña Colada Song)

Special Characters Used in Title: ñ

Special Characters Used in Lyrics: ñ

ODLC Name: U2 - Vertigo

Special Characters Used in Lyrics: ó á

ODLC Name: The White Stripes - Icky Thump

Special Characters Used in Lyrics: ñ

I confirm that accented characters from french are working well. I do spend a lot of time adding it to th xml files since EoF "removed" them... 

If you could add them back this would be amazing !

• Like 2

Take a look at my Workshop. You'll find which song I plan to create someday.

Please leave constructive feedback, it helps me creating better customs !

Please don't thanks with comment but with the button !

@@cozy1, @@Alex360,

Here is the link to the Google Sheet : Extended ASCII Characters in ODLCs

RSToolkit is already able to manage these extended characters.

Just need to allow EOF to write these characters in the XML file.

The only restriction about these characters is that we can't use them in the file paths (name of folders and name of files)

Does the name/path of the original XML file itself affect anything in the game, or does it just affect the toolkit?  Are there any XML tags that should be allowed to have extended ASCII apart from:

<p><artistname></artistname></p><p><albumname></albumname></p><p><vocal></vocal></p><p> </p><p>If <artistname> is allowed to have extended ASCII, should <artistnamesort> also be allowed it or would it be better to leave them out so it will sort more predictably with the other songs in the user's library?</artistnamesort></artistname></p>

@@raynebc path is for toolkit only sake
title > goes to RS title ingame and in sort field, which filtered by toolkit
artist name > does same filtering in toolkit and should be visible under title in RS
album name > filtered too but used only for sorting, right? you can't really see album stuff in RS directly?
vocals > xml file that probably could utilize xml filtering schema, but @@cozy1 knows if it's written in profile or not so we won't mess thigs up

main goal in filtering for me was sections\phrases part and leave no special characters that not allowed in xml specifications like 0x07 char or whatever may fall there like 0x0A 
Cozy did all that filtering magic so he may give advanced help on what filtering in use right now withing toolkit side, sorry.

• Developer

Does the name/path of the original XML file itself affect anything in the game, or does it just affect the toolkit?

Just effects the toolkit.  No impact in game.

Are there any XML tags that should be allowed to have extended ASCII apart from:

<p><artistname></artistname></p><p><albumname></albumname></p><p><vocal></vocal></p>

No.

If is allowed to have extended ASCII, should also be allowed it or would it be better to leave them out so it will sort more predictably with the other songs in the user's library?

Are you aware of ODLC sortable fields that have extended characters?    I think for sorting consistency it is better to not allow the use of extended characters in sortable fields.

So the only change from this discussion is to allow extended characters to be used in lyric arrangements.  All other song info validation is handled by the toolkit.  I added a new lyric editor to the toolkit which will handle character validation if the user makes minor changes to lyrics from inside the toolkit.

• Developer

To start with, should I make a preference to allow extended ASCII to be exportable for lyrics only?  Are there any limitations, or should all extended ASCII characters be allowed?

Sounds like a plan.  If ODLC uses an extended character in lyrics then it is most likely safe to allow use in CDLC.  If we get new reports of in-game hangs and crashes again then we can tighten up restrictions again. 

Sections and Phrases should never be allowed to contain any special characters as this was/is a major source of in-game hangs and crashes found in old CDLC.

@@raynebc,

Some extended characters are not supported in the game.

The following list of ASCII characters seems to be a good start for lyrics (I have tested all of them in RS2014) :

from 32 to 33
from 39 to 41
from 44 to 46
from 48 to 59
from 65 to 90
from 97 to 122
from 158 to 159
from 192 to 214
from 216 to 246
from 248 to 255
  • Like 1