Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

@@Alex360 I couldn't immediately reproduce the crash. Is there a particular set of steps I can use (ie. select all notes in a particular track difficulty, copy, seek to a particular position in another particular track difficulty and paste)?

There have been some changes to the clipboard format somewhat recently, so going back or forward very far with the same clipboard files can cause unexpected behavior.

I have a couple of questions regarding warnings in EoF:

1) Can there be an option for disabling the DD-related warnings? I know there are a decent number of charters who don't bother with making DD, and getting warnings every time you save for things that aren't ever relevant to your project might be annoying.

2) This one is also a question for other charters, regarding the warning for slides above the 22nd fret. I get warnings for this quite a lot, but I've pretty much always ignored them and have never had any problems with these slides in game, or had any people complain about my CDLC crashing their game or anything like that. Am I an exception for some reason, or is this an outdated warning? I could have seen this causing problems if FHP weren't restricted to be 21st fret or below, but I don't think I've ever seen auto-generated FHP go above 21 for these cases (at least recently).

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

@@raynebc I think you should copy solo to another diff, save, paste it here again, then paste it back to supereasy, I think message about it is here, maybe another clipboard issue?
https://github.com/raynebc/editor-on-fire/blob/3fb55cc61121ee9d7e34dcfaa0bec0255d94c7c6/src/menu/edit.c#L1485

• Administrator

I just notice something really painful when trying to create DD inside EOF.

FHP aren't common to all difficulty the same way event are yet they should be cause FHP should never vary between two difficulty level. The only discrepancy you can have is when there's no note on one given FHP but that's the only case where FHP should be different from one level to another.

I understand that if i create correct FHP before i start working on the different level that issue shouldn't appear as FHP copy when adding a level to a specific phrase but i still don't see any reason for different FHP on different level to be possible.

I also noticed a bug concerning DD creation in EOF :

EOF allows for 2 different difficulty level for the same phrase but RS will display an empty phrase when he reached a higher difficulty level for that phrases that is activated via the level up of the same phrase with more difficulty level.

It would be nice if EOF warn the user about it (even if i'm the only one using it...).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@albatross213 I can at least confirm that notes and slides up to the 24th work just fine in-game. I came across this in testing a forthcoming custom, and according to PC Plum, you can also find evidence of this in his Pink Floyd - Echoes (Pompei) custom.

This means I'll need to go back and fix my Layla custom :D

Perhaps it is time to update the warnings related to this? Was/is this a problem in RS1?

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

4-24 has a bug at copy\paste

Thanks, I've fixed this. It appears to only happen if the "Paste erases overlap" preference is enabled.

1) Can there be an option for disabling the DD-related warnings? I know there are a decent number of charters who don't bother with making DD, and getting warnings every time you save for things that aren't ever relevant to your project might be annoying.

Quick save doesn't display any warnings, it's probably the best option to use until you want EOF to go full nag mode to complain about issues it perceives are there. I might be able to make it so that DD related warnings can be suppressed on a per-session basis (some prompts are set up for this), but I don't think I'd want to go as far as making specific types of warnings permanently enable-able or disable-able as that would complicate things. Let me know if this is close enough to what you want.

2) This one is also a question for other charters, regarding the warning for slides above the 22nd fret.

I can at least confirm that notes and slides up to the 24th work just fine in-game.

The last I remember hearing about it, the limitation applied to Rocksmith 2014 as well as the original Rocksmith. If several people can confirm the game supports slides up to a specific higher fret number before crashing, I can change EOF's checking for it.

FHP aren't common to all difficulty the same way event are yet they should be cause FHP should never vary between two difficulty level. The only discrepancy you can have is when there's no note on one given FHP but that's the only case where FHP should be different from one level to another.

To allow FHPs to be manually authored the way official charts have them, they have to be able to be defined on a per-difficulty basis. Additionally, there were some special cases in Rock Band 3 authoring where it was desirable to be able to have dislike FHPs between two difficulties of the same track. Pending whether multiple people think this could be useful, maybe I could add an option for EOF to share the same set of FHPs for all difficulties in a track.

EOF allows for 2 different difficulty level for the same phrase but RS will display an empty phrase when he reached a higher difficulty level for that phrases that is activated via the level up of the same phrase with more difficulty level. It would be nice if EOF warn the user about it (even if i'm the only one using it...).

This isn't a bug so much as a pitfall that authors have to watch for since each difficulty of a phrase has to be authored manually. I could see where a warning could be helpful if one instance of a phrase had more difficulties defined than another instance, is that basically what you had in mind?
  • Like 2

Regarding slides >22

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oZs0ta32KyczBOcEgyVWtGc1U/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oZs0ta32Kyd05PLXIwMjQ3UmM/view?usp=sharing

I dunno if any combination crashes the game, I've never had trouble.  I guess EoF knows if you are trying to slide over the set fret limit e.g. 17 then you really need to set the fret limit higher anyway.  Or EoF sets the fret limit from the GP import?

I don't mind all the warnings, they are very handy for when you make a boo boo.  I'd rather catch it when it happens than trouble shoot later.

Admittedly I haven't read the the entire list of DD-related messages that EoF can kick back recently, but given DD requirements are normally synonymous with good charting habits and given the onus is on the charter of a good custom to make a chart upon which a user may elect to pass said charter's custom into DDC, it seems to me charters should see DD-related messages and act upon them. Perhaps I am in the minority here with this line of thinking?

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

@@raynebc - Here are working examples of a pitched slide to 24 and a pitched slide from 23 to 21. I could probably find examples of a more dramatic slide in, and an unpitched slide out if necessary, but as far as I know all slides to and from frets 24 are safe. I guess you could also make a test file going through all kinds of slides to and from the high frets and see if anything causes any crashes.

@@Berneer - I agree to some extent, but my beef is mainly with the most recent change to it, in which it appears EoF will give warnings if any note crosses a section or phrase boundary. Sometimes this is unavoidable if the rhythm of the song is somewhat syncopated (e.g. Tornado of Souls bassline. See how many sustains across the beginning of the measure there are. Even with sections specific to the bass part, it would be quite hard to find a sectioning of the song that's both sensible and avoids any notes going across section boundaries). For something like that I'd much rather see a solution on the side of DD (something like having all notes that cross phrase boundaries either entirely left out or left untouched, though it's somewhat against the spirit of DD) than have warnings in practically every song even if you use good charting practices.

• Administrator

To allow FHPs to be manually authored the way official charts have them, they have to be able to be defined on a per-difficulty basis. Additionally, there were some special cases in Rock Band 3 authoring where it was desirable to be able to have dislike FHPs between two difficulties of the same track. Pending whether multiple people think this could be useful, maybe I could add an option for EOF to share the same set of FHPs for all difficulties in a track.

Well official chart always keep the same FHP for all difficulty except when a FHP has no note but even then it's not always the case and since change in FHP with no note isn't an issue, i'm sure i would benefit greatly from this option though i would have less issue if i had generated FHP before starting working on DD but at this point i'm still experimentating so the process is still a bit messy.

I'm not sure many other user would work with DD inside EOF anyway so if you don't want to bother, that's fine since i can generate FHP before creating DD and it will be copied over when adding level via the phrase management panel if i remember correctly.

This isn't a bug so much as a pitfall that authors have to watch for since each difficulty of a phrase has to be authored manually. I could see where a warning could be helpful if one instance of a phrase had more difficulties defined than another instance, is that basically what you had in mind?

Yes it's exactly what i had in mind, just a warning to make sure user don't make the mistake i did when playing around. I'm not expecting EOF to block me to create weird stuff but it's nice to be warn when known issue will be encountered :)

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Here are working examples of a pitched slide to 24

Thanks, I'll update the RS2 check to only warn if a slide at or above fret 25 is encountered.

I agree to some extent, but my beef is mainly with the most recent change to it, in which it appears EoF will give warnings if any note crosses a section or phrase boundary.

The following warnings are the ones that EOF can generate that are dynamic difficulty related:

"Beat ### contains an END phrase, but there's at least one more phrase or section after it.  This will cause dynamic difficulty and/or riff repeater to not work correctly."
"At least one arpeggio/handshape crosses over into another RS phrase.  This can behave strangely in Rocksmith if the chart has dynamic difficulty."
"At least one note crosses an RS phrase or section boundary.  This can behave strangely in Rocksmith if the chart has dynamic difficulty."
I don't want to make it easy to turn off the warnings permanently, but it probably would be an OK compromise to make it a per-chart setting. This way the author can disable it for songs where it's appropriate, but still get warned for new charts in general. Let me know if this is agreeable.

Well official chart always keep the same FHP for all difficulty except when a FHP has no note but even then it's not always the case and since change in FHP with no note isn't an issue, i'm sure i would benefit greatly from this option

It would make it easier to just export the full set of FHPs for every difficulty level. Adds a little bloat to the XML, but less error prone than EOF trying to filter out un-needed FHPs. Does anybody else have thoughts on a shared FHP system? I tend to agree that for the rare few who manually author DD, it would likely be easier to not have to micro-manage them for each difficulty level.

Yes it's exactly what i had in mind

OK, I'll put some thought into how to implement it.

• Administrator

You perfectly understand.

IF you generate them first, they will be the same if you follow a good protocol by using the phrase management panel and adding difficulty this way.

The thing is that if you forget to create the FHP before starting creating DD (or any modification on FHP after starting creating DD), you then have to create FHP for ALL difficulty level by hand or you'll have different FHP over different difficulty level (no i don't want the player to play the root note for a bare chord with his pinky...).

It's more a demand for making FHP creation less painful and more coherent with ODLC practice than a bug of some sort and i can understand if raynebc doesn't want to put time into this as i doubt there's many user doing DD by hand.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

I thought that the quick save function eliminates all warnings?

Can this not be used instead of eliminating other warnings or making matters more complex with extra settings?

I'm not trying to be anal and I bearly read the warnings from EoF I just get used to (on a per project basis) the order in which they come up - it's kinda rhythmic tbh.  It has saved my ass countless times when either a warning I was expecting does not appear, or a new warning does appear - I have a think about why its has appeared or went away, then amend anything I have changed by mistake or have not changed.

It's pointless trying to type out all possible examples but for the sake of argument I will produce 1

I have went through my newly imported GP and eliminated all the slides with no end position.  EoF warnes me about a slide with no end position.  I think "crap I missed one".

Whereas I have come across songs where its impossible not to cross a boundary with sustain or a phrase boundary with an arpeggio, it does not happen that often tbh.  And the warning is a reminder to look out for possible glitches in game.  Trouble shooting why there's a gfx glitch or missing notes in your DD is far easier if EoF has been warning you that you crossed boundaries.  I don;t like crossing section boundaries at all, and most songs I have no intention of making DD.  But, someone else might and it reduces the chances of glitched charts and/or hanging customs (omg I'm so old - hanging customs is so 2014 :lol: )

I know it's user preference and most EoF users will probably not want all warnings all the time, I'm just fighting the case for what I see as very minor inconvenience that can actually be extremely helpful and a great time saver in the long run.

And, if I've just invested an hour or more of my life into making a chart look nice, I damn well appreciate a robust saving system.  If I've just popped in to change a note or two I still appreciate a robust saving system :D

• Like 2

@@raynebc - I think what you've proposed would work.

Regarding the quick save function, some of the warnings (like the slide one) say that they modify the XML export depending on whether you ignore it or not. Does the quick save function automatically act as an "ignore", or does the XML export get modified for these cases?

@@PC Plum - I agree that warnings like that can help catch charting errors, but I don't think the ones I'm talking about are going to be helping make charts that better, but instead mostly be nuisances for those who aren't obsessive perfectionists.

And if everyone agrees that there should be warnings for common issues that would improve charting immensely, we should have had a warning for notes that aren't grid snapped a long time ago.

Quick save basically does just skip displaying warnings, and if a slide had no defined end position EOF will set a default end position for you because otherwise it couldn't export as a slide at all.

Plum does make a point though, even if you publish a chart without DD another person may end up using the toolkit to add it later on.

@@raynebc - That's true, but just made me think of another thing. It definitely will not catch anything that may cause a problem when DD is added. People often have DD phrases that are much shorter than the sections defined in EoF (provided such sections are defined at all), and consequently any notes that cross a phrase boundary that is introduced in the DD creation process could end up mangled but won't have any warnings regarding them. Not sure what the best way to handle this would be, though.

And thanks for the quick answer on Quick Save. Wasn't sure exactly how it treated the warnings.

@@Chlipouni - Do we only know of problems when the notes have linknext status? If so, @@raynebc, why is the warning for every note that crosses a section or phrase boundary? I imagine you can check for linknext status pretty easily.

• Administrator

Handshape that goes through a phrase/section will be cut leaving only the boxes for chord with no fingering. Sustain might also just be cut off but it's not as noticeable as the handshape one.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

I take the stance that the author should be alerted if any note crosses a phrase boundary because the introduction of dynamic difficulties can very easily disrupt the note. That check was pretty broken though, it will be much more correct (and mutable with the other DD warnings) in the next hotfix.

Quick save basically does just skip displaying warnings, and if a slide had no defined end position EOF will set a default end position for you because otherwise it couldn't export as a slide at all.Plum does make a point though, even if you publish a chart without DD another person may end up using the toolkit to add it later on.

Glad I read this. I thought quick save just saved the notes.eof and didn't export. If it makes assumptions and exports an XML I think I'll avoid this function or else find myself with unwanted changes to the charting.

You guys are prolific today. :)

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

It's not a change to the chart though, EOF's default interpretation of any slide missing its end position definition is that it's a 1 fret slide and it exports the same whether you use normal or quick save. The difference is that normal save allows you to cancel the save (instead of write the XML with the default slide ending position) when this condition is detected.