Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

@@raynebc - It looks like palm muted tremolo picks still get truncated. Would it be possible to make it so that tremolo picked palm mutes still export with sustain?

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Is it possible with the new hotfix to make handshapes with chord tags? like the intro of this song:

Also, i still can't make a handshape with full ghost gems work in RS. It doesn't appear. I'm using the last hotfix

My Custom Songs (Workshop)                                              YouTube Videos

80C651DEE.png

@@SmellsLikeMonkey, I've discovered that placing chords in 1ms long handshape tags which themselves can be nested in overall handshapes tags will author chord labels.

I don't remember if @@Chlipouni came to the same conclusion when testing nested handshapes, but while robustness testing dummy chords I noticed this works, assuming the chord in the 1ms handshape tag has high density = "0".

Both 1ms and overall handshape can be associated to the same chord template.

I'll be posting all my results of testing this week. Look out for Test #10 results when I post.

[actually my test reporting images are ready, so here: Folder with all PNG files. Later this week I will finish by writing a summary since the testing is quite long.]

For now this requires manual XML adjustment.

• Like 1

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

I might have gotten a bit confused. I thought I remembered handshape markings not displaying chord labels, but I just authored a little sequence in a handshape as a test and it seems the chord label appears for a chord in a handshape, but just not at the beginning of the handshape beginning with a single note, contrary to an arpeggio marking that would author a label from the beginning. See image below:

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Handshapes%20and%20labels/Handshape%20label_zpsftwaqinw.png

I therefore tried putting a 1ms handshape in the XML manually, as shown below, but it didn't succeed in putting a label at the beginning of the handshape. So though this 1ms handshape construct is helpful for dummy chords (per my upcoming Test 10, which incidentally I just updated with 2 additional tests 10h and 10i) it is apparently of no use for regular chords...

<handShape chordId="0" endTime="7.25" startTime="5" />
        <handShape chordId="0" endTime="5.001" startTime="5" />

Note: In case it matters, I am still on Hotfix January 27, 2016 since I had to make sure all my dummy chord testing is using the same Hotfix....

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Sorry double post since my PC seemed not to post my last comment.

The chord name showing up on the left of the screen is triggered by chord tags. EOF does not export note or chord tags for fully ghosted notes, and this is intentional.

The chord fingering at the bottom is indeed only triggered by handshape tags, and EOF was supposed to allow a fully ghosted note at the base of a handshape and export that, but this logic was broken. I've fixed it.

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (3-4-2016) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Altered RS exports to try to filter out non-ASCII characters from exported XML files to prevent invalidly named phrases/lyrics from crashing the game.

*Improved "Track>Rename" so that it will disallow a track to be given a name that is already in use by another track.

*Added a "Delete w/ lower diffs" function that deletes the selected notes as well as those in lower difficulties that are at the same timestamps as any of the selected notes. This function has been assigned the CTRL+SHIFT+Del shortcut and both it and Note>Delete have been moved into a Note>Delete> submenu.

*Updated the save function to write a simplified lyrics file (lyrics.txt) if the Lyrics option in Song>Properties is checked.

*Improved Feedback import to support the unofficial "E *" toggle HOPO notation.

*Improved Feedback import to convert 5 lane chords to open strum notes.

*Corrected RS2 export so that tremolo notes keep their sustain if they are also muted.

*Fixed an RS2 export bug where handshape wouldn't export if its base chord was fully ghosted.

*Added a "Beat>Events>Place section" function, which has been assigned the SHIFT+E keyboard shortcut, to simplify adding/editing section markers for use in FoF and Phase Shift. This function automatically inserts the specified name into a "[section NAME]" formatted text event. A few event related functions in the Beat menu have been moved into the "Events" submenu.

*Added a "Beat>Copy events" function (which has been assigned the CTRL+SHIFT+C shortcut) that copies the selected beat's visible events (ie. those not assigned to a track other than the active track) to the event clipboard. The "Beat>Rocksmith>Paste phrase/section" function is now "Beat>Paste events" and can be used with both "Beat>Copy events" and "Beat>Rocksmith>Copy phrase/section".

*Fixed a bug where performing undo would delete auto-recovery information.

*Improved the organization of temporary files (undo/redo states, clipboard files, auto-recovery files, etc) to be in a "temp" subfolder of EOF's program folder.

• Like 5

Maybe I'm off a bit, but how we could chart fingerprints and ghost handshapes through tech notes mode? I think it way more better and cleaner way than adding ghost chords at real track so am I missing something?
or is there way to auto-generate fingerprints based on some scheme or else for marked notes? I'd like to know how to  do a dynamically changed fingers like every 3 notes :D (in TOTTG i'd like to state all that hand action at lead, since not everybody could figure it out themselves

Maybe I'm off a bit, but how we could chart fingerprints and ghost handshapes through tech notes mode? I think it way more better and cleaner way than adding ghost chords at real track so am I missing something?

or is there way to auto-generate fingerprints based on some scheme or else for marked notes? I'd like to know how to do a dynamically changed fingers like every 3 notes :D (in TOTTG i'd like to state all that hand action at lead, since not everybody could figure it out themselves

Tech notes weren't programmed to be able to have fret values or finger definitions, so this would be very problematic to try to add. I don't understand your question about the auto-generated finger definitions, can you provide an example screenshot?

Quick request - can a prefs option be added to switch between turning 5-note chords into open strums or keeping them as 5-note chords during dB import?

Doing this would generally make the tablature wrong. Since I also can't see this being something used by very many people, I hesitate to add a preference for it. You could probably manually alter the tab after importing it into EOF by using "Select like" (or "Select all" followed by "Conditional deselect") to select all instances of a particular 5 note chord and then use "Edit note frets/fingering" to change the fret values of the selected notes to 0.

@@Alex360,

I think I was tinkering with your idea yesterday while testing dummy chords (almost done, been sick all week). I tweaked the XML to author 4 successive handshapes with 1ms between handshapes so as to show dynamic fingering since EoF automatically authored as 1 handshape with fixed fingering due to chord templates finger definitions. See video below. Is this what you mean? If so then yeah I'd love to be able to author that in EoF with 1ms separating handshapes. Doing it in EoF in my Blaze custom I can manage getting two successive handshapes as close as 30-40ms apart leaving a visible gap in the lane handshape markings.

Doing this would generally make the tablature wrong. Since I also can't see this being something used by very many people, I hesitate to add a preference for it. You could probably manually alter the tab after importing it into EOF by using "Select like" (or "Select all" followed by "Conditional deselect") to select all instances of a particular 5 note chord and then use "Edit note frets/fingering" to change the fret values of the selected notes to 0.

Fair enough. I mainly would be using EoF in this case if I acquire a GH3 chart with 5-note chords, and need to edit it before importing to GH2, as I prefer EoF to dB. I don't actually work with RS, lol.

@@Berneer, yeah it has alternate picking and one finger at low E while other has a bit dynamic hand shape, it would be great to have generator for fingerprints that set manually and region marked as ghost handshape region :P I always wondered where is fingerprints for chords in cdlc so now i know where it is)

Fair enough. I mainly would be using EoF in this case if I acquire a GH3 chart with 5-note chords, and need to edit it before importing to GH2, as I prefer EoF to dB. I don't actually work with RS, lol.

Looks like I misread it earlier, I thought you were talking about GP (Guitar Pro) import. It seems like the most typical use of 5 note chords would be for open notes. In order to convert open notes back to 5 note chords after importing a Feedback chart, you can do the following for each track difficulty that has open notes:

1. Select All (CTRL+A)

2. Deselect notes that aren't open strums (Edit>Selection>Conditional deselect, and pick "Do not" "contain any of" "lane 6")

3. Toggle lanes 1-5 on (Use Note>Toggle commands: SHIFT+1, SHIFT+2, SHIFT+3, SHIFT+4, SHIFT+5)

4. Toggle lane 6 off (SHIFT+6)

This should only take a few seconds per track difficulty.

It might be just the late hour, but I'm not immediately sure I'm fully understanding @@Alex360 's request. Based on Berneer's example, since the fingering is changing in what appears to be a single handshape, it looks like multiple handshape phrases that are back to back. If you set the minimum note distance (in File>Preferences) to 1ms, it makes it easier to author notes/phrases closer together than the default 3ms (which still shouldn't make a very big noticeable gap in-game).

• Like 2

Yes, I made back-to-back handshapes.

Yes, the minimum note distance set to 1ms helped! Is there any reason why it is better to leave it to 3ms?

The remaining issue is that I guess it is the linkNext Tech Notes, but EoF won't let me select just 1 sustained note at a time and create a handshape in efforts to make 4 back-to-back handshapes. Instead the menus say "re-mark" and it erases the marking on a previous sustained note. See pic below. Setting the fingering  with the Hotkey F worked fine for each sustained note and exported properly in the chord templates. Note, setting "split" status on the first e0/B12 note pair didn't help with the disappearing marking.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Back-to-back%20Handshapes%20for%20dyn%20fingering/Attempting%20back%20to%20back%20handshape%20marking_zpsge7gsng2.png

It seems @@Alex360 is making a request not unlike the one I had made here, that is asking about a handshape (I was asking for partial handshapes at the time... to which raynebc recommended back-to-back handshapes) that changes by virtue of 1 string being fixed fretting but other strings being different frettings. Though you lose me at "ghost handshape" so I am not sure if I fully understood you. If I didn't, sorry for piggy-backing my info/questions on yours.

From what I recall, the minimum note distance was just to prevent issues where two notes that were meant to not be overlapping could end up starting/ending on the same millisecond because conversion between timing formats (at least for MIDI based chart formats like Rock Band) can cause note positions to skew by up to 0.5ms or so.

Defining linked notes to have different handshape phrases (or certain other start/end type techniques like tremolo) in EOF is something it doesn't immediately support since the linked notes overlap, hence why you get the option to "re-mark" the phrase when trying to add one note into a different handshape than the other. I can try to improve this to enforce 1ms of gap between even linked notes as far as marking these types of features are concerned.

A summary of the "ghost handshape" feature is here:

http://customsforge.com/topic/22596-handshapearpeggio-for-multiple-notes-at-a-time/page-2?do=findComment&comment=183033

Dummy Chords & Robustness Testing Results

Hi all,

To follow-up on my last post on the subject of Dummy chords, and summarized in the earlier post, after significant initial testing carried out after this post I provide below the results of robustness testing of dummy chords,  in order to allow confident implementation in EoF, if deemed worthy.

USAGE  OF DUMMY CHORDS

• Place a chord box around split chords.
  • Place a chord box around a chord with one or some of the notes having different sustains (ex: HOPO on some strings of a chord while other strings sustain)

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Dummy%20Chords%20Robustness%20Testing/Initial%20inspiration%20case_zpsuuq60x3s.png

• This was the initial motivation for dummy chords because the following is not currently authorable in EoF as of this writing.
  • This Guitar World link shows some nuanced examples of this and includes Sound Cloud audio samples.
  • Putting a box around notes that start/reside at time stamps that are nearly but not all equal
    • Not sure but might grace notes benefit from this?
  • Others? Please share your thoughts.

PRELIMINARY COMMENTS

This testing took on a life of its own in that every test I made had unexpected findings, so I knew I had to continue until there were no more surprise findings. Unfortunately the “no more surprises” point happened after a very large amount of testing. I was tempted to just give up, but I have this quirky birth defect, such that when the going gets tough, it’s like I take it personally and become aggressive and determined. Enjoy my nerdy determination below…. J One thing that kept me going is thinking, “I can’t possibly let raynebc have to figure all this out on his own.”

First the Summary then the robustness testing results in the form of large PNG image files to which I'll link. Each summary conclusion points to the specific detailed robustness test where the said point was examined.

This detailed PNG image file reporting of my incremental findings show the order in which I tested things and they mostly have a logical progression. However, whenever a conclusion in the PNG files was made and then later superseded by new findings, I didn’t erase the initial findings, but rather I wrote in bold blue where to find the superseding conclusions. The following is the Robustness Tests basic outline:  (“Handshape ChordId=-1 dummy chords”& “Dummy ChordId Dummy Chord” are defined in the next section).

1. Can dummy chords make use of accents and chord labels?
  2. Can a dummy chord box appear around a single note?
  3. Examination of consecutive and varying “Handshape ChordId=-1 dummy chords”.
  4. Authoring HOPO on select sustained strings of a chord.
  5. Can a “Dummy ChordId Dummy Chord” exist without a chord template or piggy-back on other chord templates?
  6. Miscellaneous “Dummy ChordId Dummy Chord” tests examining handshapes, high density, scoring, box shape.
  7. Examining behaviours of “Handshape ChordId=-1 Dummy Chords” including scoring this constructs uniqueness.
  8. Examining DDC behavior with Dummy Chords
  9. Examining various guitar techniques applied to Dummy Chords
  10. Examining whether one can have control of dummy chord box shape as well as authoring chord labels/fingering
  11. Various tests repeated based on more recent findings.

All tests have been conducted with EoF Hotfix 01-27-2016 & RocksmithToolkitGUI-b942ce6e-win (09January2016 nightly build)

Please do let me know if there are any holes in the logic expressed or shown. Given there are so many tests, it is certainly possible I may have overlooked something.

Definitions of Dummy Chords types and their Constructs

Here is a brief description of both types of dummy chords examined in the robustness tests:

1. Dummy ChordId dummy Chord:  The authoring of a chord box in-game, be it shaped like a box or goal posts ( |_| ), be it with single notes superimposed upon it or not. The basic idea is to have the XML contain <chord time> tags without <chord note> tags and ensuring that the <chord time> tag points to a chord template (chordId=… ) whose fretting is aligned with the intended chord to be played at the time stamp of this said dummy chord.

Basic Construct example:

<chordTemplate displayName="D5" chordName="D5" fret0="-1" fret1="5" fret2="7" fret3="-1" fret4="-1" fret5="-1" finger0="-1" finger1="1" finger2="3" finger3="-1" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" /> 
!This being the chordId=0 referred to below
<chord time="2.000" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="0" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down" /> 
!No <chord notes> tag.

• Note: initially the construct was for the chord template to contain only -1’s but Test 6B showed why this should not be the case. The -1’s template is where the name “Dummy ChordId” came from in the term “Dummy ChordId Dummy Chord”
  • Note:  Later the basic construct will be expanded for sustained dummy chords and use of handshapes  with the help of the high density attribute and superimposing of single notes.

2. Handshape ChordId=-1 dummy chord: The authoring of a chord box in-game, be it shaped like a box or goal posts (|_| ), be it with  single notes superimposed upon it or not. The basic idea is to have the XML contain <chord note> tags within <chord time> tags associated to a chord template that gets normally authored with chords, but to also have a <handshape chordId=”-1” …. /> tag. The handshape tag  displays as an empty chord box in-game despite the authoring of the chord notes, essentially erasing them.

• Note:  Later the basic construct will be expanded for sustained dummy chords and use of handshapes  with the help of the high density attribute and superimposing of single notes.

Basic Construct example:

<chordTemplate displayName="G5" chordName="G5" fret0="-1" fret1="-1" fret2="5" fret3="7" fret4="-1" fret5="-1" finger0="-1" finger1="-1" finger2="1" finger3="3" finger4="-1" finger5="-1" />
<chord time="3" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="1" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
   <chordNote time="3" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="5" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0" />
   <chordNote time="3" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="7" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="3" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0" />
</chord>
<handShape chordId="-1" endTime="3.056" startTime="3" />

“Dummy ChordId Dummy Chord” –vs– “Handshape ChordId=-1 Dummy Chords”

It was determined in Tests 7D Cases C to H as well as in Test 11g that, although “Handshape ChordId =-1 Dummy Chords” were shown to author various dummy chord sequences, by virtue of the handshape tag erasing authored chord notes from a chord box, it was determined that the <chord note> tags are unnecessary to achieve the same results and therefore showing that the “Handshape ChordId=-1 Dummy Chord” construct boils down to a “Dummy ChordId Dummy Chord” construct. Furthermore nested inside overall handshapes consisting of other single notes, or chords or even other dummy chords, the overall handshape tag renders the nested <handshape chordId=-1 … > tag as redundant, and again boiling down to a “Dummy ChordId Dummy Chord”.

As such, for simplicity, though all “Handshape ChordId =-1 Dummy Chord” testing carried out is presented in the large test results PNG image files, the summary that follows will only focus on the “Dummy ChordId Dummy Chord” and therefore it will generically be referred to as “Dummy chord”, despite the PNG files always maintaining a distinction between both dummy chord types.

In fact, test 6B determined that a chord template of all -1’s is not the best construct for a “Dummy ChordId Dummy Chord” so it is actually a misnomer and is better served just being called a “Dummy Chord”

Summary of Test Results

1. General features of dummy chords:
    1. Dummy chords essentially author a chord pane where it would be intuitive for one to exist but currently does not by virtue of conventional CDLC XML authoring.  (See Tests 1-11 PNG image files for various examples)
    2. No chord name or fingering displays in-game (see Test  1) unless the dummy chord occurs inside a handshape tag and the dummy chord’s <chord time> tag is not high density, however fingering will also display when the dummy chord’s <chord time> tag is high density (see Tests 4b, 4c, 4e, 4f, 6aCase1, 6aCase2, 10, 11).
    3. Accent status (see Tests 1 and 10j), bends (See Test 7), Pitched Slides, Unpitched slides, vibrato, palm muting, fret hand muting, harmonics,  linkNext, arpeggios (see Test 9 for these  8 listed items) and handshapes (see Tests 4,6,7,8,10,11) have been demonstrated to display a dummy chord box. See the section on scoring below for some caveats.
    4. Dummy chord boxes can appear as short (high density) or tall (not high density) boxes or even short or tall goal posts ( |_| ) with some possibility of control over box height (as shown in Test 10; see also Tests 4b,4c and 11 for difference in Goal-post height, see tests 4c/4e,7,10j,11m for the difference between box and goal posts). Goal posts can only be displayed around 2-stringed chords as long  the <chord note> tag associated chord template is proper (i.e. defines the intended fretting for the dummy chord to be played), otherwise a <chord time> associated with a chord template of all -1’s displays a box.

1. Authoring of various dummy chord scenarios (See “Sample” section for visuals and video footage)
    1. Not in an overall handshape
      1. With sustain
        • Low Density chord box/goal posts(See Test #11b – screenshot 1, chord 1)
          1. Need proper chord template
          2. Need <chord time> tag with high density = “0”
          3. No <chord note> tags
          4. Need <note time>  tags
          5. Optional:  Handshape around duration of dummy chord to author fingering and chord label

– Issue: superimposed single and chord notes (cross-shaped gems). Acceptable?

• High Density shorter chord box/goal posts (See Test #11b – screenshot 2, chord 1)
    2. Need <chord time> tag with high density = “1”
    3. No <chord note> tags
    5. Optional:  Handshape around duration of dummy chord to author fingering only

– Cannot display chord label on high density (dummy) chord

– Can choose to not author single notes if want appearance of repeat boxes/goal posts

– Issue: chord box shortens and might shorten below some of its notes. Acceptable?

(Ex: Test 1, 2Case2, 4f , 6ACase1&6&7, 6C, 7C, 7D, 8, 10)

1. Without sustain
    • Low Density chord box/goal posts (See Test #11b – screenshot 3, chord 1)
      3. No <chord note> tags
      4. No <note time>  tags
      5. Must have a 1ms Handshape around dummy chord to display unauthored chord notes and display fingering and chord label

– Note: When EoF exports a regular chord it exports a 56ms handshape.

Nothing wrong with dummy chords following suit.

• High Density shorter chord box/goal posts (See Test #11b – screenshot 3, chords 2&3)
    3. No <chord note> tags
    5. Optional:  1ms Handshape around dummy chord to author fingering only

– Can choose to not author single notes if want appearance of repeat boxes/goal posts

– Issue: chord box shortens and might shorten below some of its notes. Acceptable?

1. Inside an overall handshape (“overall” or “global” are words I use to signify that other single notes, chords or even dummy chords can also be in the handshape)
    1. With sustain
      • Low Density chord box/goal posts (See Test #11C, Screenshot 1, chord 1)
        3. No <chord note> tag
        5. Fingering and chord label are automatically displayed due to being inside an overall handshape.

– Issue with superimposed single and chord notes (cross-shaped gems). Acceptable?

– On-screen artifacts (aka visual glitches) occur when a dummy chord (i.e. no <chord notes> tags) exists in an overall handshape and has it’s <chord time> tag set to high density = “0”, manifesting the artifacts only for chords containing open strings. The artifacts appear as thick horizontal, vertical or diagonal bars of the same colours as the open strings as seen in Tests 5c; 7D Cases B,D,E; 11i. Setting high density=”1” rectifies the issue, but then requires the superimposing of <note time> tags and fails to author chord labels. As long there are no open strings in the dummy chords being authored, there are no artifacts.

• High Density shorter chord box/goal posts (See Test #11C, Screenshot 3, chord 1)
    3. No <chord note> tag
    5. Fingering and chord label are automatically displayed due to being inside an overall handshape.

1. Without sustain
    • Low Density chord box/goal posts (See Test #11C, Screenshot 4, chord 1)
      3. No <chord note> tag
      4. No <note time>  tags

– On-screen artifacts (aka visual glitches) occur when a dummy chord (i.e. no <chord

notes> tags) exists in an overall handshape and has it’s <chord time> tag set to high

density = “0”, manifesting the artifacts only for chords containing open strings. The

artifacts appear as thick horizontal, vertical or diagonal bars of the same colours as the

open strings as seen in Tests 5c; 7D Cases B,D,E; 11i. Setting high density=”1” rectifies

the issue, but then requires the superimposing of <note time> tags and fails to author

chord labels. As long there are no open strings in the dummy chords being authored,

there are no artifacts.

• High Density chord box/goal posts (See Test #11C, Screenshot 4, chord 2&3)
    3. No <chord note> tag

1. Scoring
    1. A dummy chord’s Chord template must have proper intended fretting to be played in order for it to score properly (see Test 6B). A dummy chord’s associated chord template filled with -1’s will score in-game when successfully playing the intended notes, but the problem is that it will also score successfully when playing incorrect notes, hence the importance of associating the dummy chord to a proper chord template.
    2. Slides, bends, etc.  techniques inside dummy chords score with simply beginning notes’ success as opposed to scoring if the technique is accomplished. (See Test 9)
    3. When authoring superimposing single notes ( <note time>  tag) those <note time> tags must be authored  with ignore=1 in order to avoid a 2-string power chord, say, scoring as 3 successes or misses (chord + each single note). As such with single notes set to ignore = “1”, the frets around the single notes will blink showing success even if the wrong chord is played. This is a necessary evil of dummy chords with sustains which require the use of superimposing single notes.

1. DDC
    1. DDC is not broken by dummy chords but see Test 8, based on DDC 2.8 (I only noticed 2.9 was out later on) to examine its behavior while ramping up and down the difficulty. @@Chlipouni, some minor changes might be preferable to DDC if Dummy chords are introduced.
    2. See the
      1. DDC 2.8 Pre and Post DDC XML’s  and log file.
      2. DDC 2.9 Pre and Post DDC XML’s  and log file.

1. EoF Implementation considerations:
  1. Perhaps like the authoring of any new chord in EoF which creates a new unique chord template, so will the defining of a dummy chord also need to author an XML chord template for the intended chord to be played. It is alright to piggy-back a dummy chord on an identical template than was used for a regular chord.
  2. As it is best to allow the user to author dummy chords with as few selections as possible (hi dens, split, etc) I was imagining defining in EoF, a chord, setting it to “split” status, and then applying a status or marking called, say, “chordify” or “chord box”. Since handshape tags with duration equal to the dummy chords sustain (or 1ms if no sustain) is, at worst, redundant when nested in an overall handshape, it might be a good streamlining in EoF Allegro coding/ EoF user-authoring if all dummy chords come with a handshape tag associated with the same chord template as the <chord time> tag.  Then all that remains to determine by the user is whether they want a high density or low density chord box and then if they want single notes superimposed or not (to mimick a repeat line) but I’m not sure if there is any use for that in practice. If a noteless  repeat dummy chord is not deemed practical, then perhaps the “hi dens” status can be used to toggle the default low density dummy chord to a high density one.  Just some preliminary thoughts for consideration or for you to improve upon - you know best @@raynebc.
  3. If you do want to have a dummy chord around single notes at different but close time stamps then EoF will have to recognize the cluster of notes and create a chord template with all the intended notes in the marking. So EoF might have to be coded with a new marking, not unlike handshape marking, and then a status such as “Chordify” (hopefully all dummy chords can be authorable with 1 new marking/status) to give the appearance of a chord with all notes at the same time stamp.
  4. It’s probably best to find a way to avoid users getting confused as to the reason for visual glitches when a dummy chord with high density =”0” inside a handshape tag and consisting of open strings. The allure of low density chords, with unrotating notes, and chord labels, is such that perhaps EoF could detect chords consisting of open strings, and only then, force the authoring of a high density dummy chord. Perhaps this can be a save message warning of an “automatic conversion from low density to high density dummy chord due to…” .

Other Remarks

• @@raynebc, please see Test 4g,conclusion 3. When authoring the HOPO on select strings of a chord, the split status and linkNext tech note sets the following <notes count="8"> but it should be <notes count="5"> after your January 2016 new clean-up of single notes logic upon Linknext Tech notes are defined on a split chord.
  • @@raynebc, I remember you were trying to minimize repeated identical chord templates a while ago so I’ve noticed that if chords in handshapes (and maybe not in handshapes too) have split status, then multiple identical chord templates are exported. This occurred when authoring as per Tests 11a,b,c. I also noticed lots of redundant FHP’s in repeated <anchor time> tags.
  • If one really wanted to author a box around a 2-stringed chord, it is possible. One need only create a dummy chord with a chord template of all -1’s (See Tests 4e, 4f, 5d, 6aCases 1-8). The issue with this is that anything played will register as successful.
  • Possible to place a dummy chord box around 1 note (See Test 2 for explanations)
  • The Tech Notes Tutorial would eventually be updated once the @@mrmaton example of HOPO on select strings becomes authorable in EoF.
    • Note that a further refinement to the authoring of HOPO on some strings is shown in Test 11l whereby fingerings are defined at each note pair’s time stamps in EoF and each with unique back-to-back handshapes. See video below. @@raynebc stated in this post that he’ll see if he can allow for these back-to-back handshapes on a sequence of linked notes can be authorable in EoF.

https://youtu.be/0eblx5LiexI

• If needed, once dummy chord implementation is made in EoF, I can put together a quick tutorial  on dummy chords.
  • Do any of you have any other ideas of circumstances when authoring a chord box (aka a dummy chord) would be useful? I’d like to be able to list all scenarios in such a tutorial.

Sample: All Dummy Chord Authorings from Section 2 in one XML/PSARC

See this video for all the following screenshots in motion.

https://youtu.be/ICryo4HPKCQ

Here is the modded final XML that generated the screenshots below. Here is the corresponding psarc file.

Part 1: Dummy Chords --> No overall handshape - No sustained notes

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Dummy%20Chords%20Robustness%20Testing/Final%20Sample%20-%20NoHS%20No%20Sust%20Lo%20and%20Hi%20Dens%20-%20RS2014%20screenshot_zpscbu1i86m.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Dummy%20Chords%20Robustness%20Testing/Final%20Sample%20-%20NoHS%20No%20Sust%20Lo%20and%20Hi%20Dens%20-%20EoF%20screenshot_zpss5kip2wy.png

Plus the following adjustments:

• Add proper chord templates for A5, C3 chords
  • Chords 1 & 3 (No Overall HS; No sustain, Low Density):
    • Remove <note time> tags @ 2s&3s
    • Add <chord time> tags with HD=0 @ 2s&3s
    • Add 1ms <handShape> tags @ 2s&3s
  • Chords 2 & 4: (No Overall HS; No sustain, High Density):
    • Set <note time> tags to ignore=”1” @ 2.5s&3.5s
    • Add <chord time> tags with HD=1 @ 2.5s&3.5s
    • Add 1ms <handShape> tags @ 2.5s&3.5s

Part 2: Dummy Chords --> No overall handshape - Sustained notes

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Dummy%20Chords%20Robustness%20Testing/Final%20Sample%20-%20NoHS%20Sust%20Lo%20and%20Hi%20Dens%20-%20RS2014%20screenshot_zpsmcae7ith.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Dummy%20Chords%20Robustness%20Testing/Final%20Sample%20-%20NoHS%20Sust%20Lo%20and%20Hi%20Dens%20-%20EoF%20screenshot_zpsiz0letjb.png

Plus following adjustments:

• Chords 1 & 3 (No Overall HS; Sustain, Low Density):
    • Set <note time> tags to ignore=”1” @ 5s&7s
    • Add <chord time> tags with HD=0 @ 5s&7s
    • Add 750ms <handShape> tags @ 5s&7s
  • Chords 2 & 4: (No Overall HS; Sustain, High Density):
    • Set <note time> tags to ignore=”1” @ 6s&8s
    • Add <chord time> tags with HD=1 @ 6s&8s
    • Add 750ms <handShape> tags @ 6s&8s

*750ms being the duration of these specific sustains.

Part 3 - Regular Chords (added for comparison purposes inside the XML/psarc)

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Dummy%20Chords%20Robustness%20Testing/Final%20Sample%20-%20Regular%20chords%20-%20RS2014%20screenshot_zps7qghlm9e.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Dummy%20Chords%20Robustness%20Testing/Final%20Sample%20-%20Regular%20chords%20-%20EoF%20screenshot_zpsrgoouwxb.png

None

Part 4: Dummy Chords --> Overall handshape - No sustained notes

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Dummy%20Chords%20Robustness%20Testing/Final%20Sample%20-%20HS%20No%20Sust%20Lo%20and%20Hi%20Dens%20-%20RS2014%20screenshot-Take2_zpsjwlwqtpr.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Dummy%20Chords%20Robustness%20Testing/Final%20Sample%20-%20HS%20No%20Sust%20Lo%20and%20Hi%20Dens%20-%20EoF%20screenshot_zpsjwpzxi5k.png

• Chords 1 & 3 (Overall HS; No sustain, Low Density):
    • Remove <note time> tags @ 13s&14s
    • Add <chord time> tags with HD=0 @ 13s&14s
  • Chords 2 & 4: (Overall HS; No sustain, High Density):
    • Set <note time> tags to ignore=”1” @ 13.5s&14.5s
    • Add <chord time> tags with HD=1 @ 13.5s&14.5s

Part 5: Dummy Chords --> Overall handshape - Sustained notes

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Dummy%20Chords%20Robustness%20Testing/Final%20Sample%20-%20HS%20Sust%20Lo%20and%20Hi%20Dens%20-%20RS2014%20screenshot_zpsg0gejorx.png

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Questions%20for%20CF/Dummy%20Chords%20Robustness%20Testing/Final%20Sample%20-%20HS%20Sust%20Lo%20and%20Hi%20Dens%20-%20EoF%20screenshot_zpstorsy5su.png

• Chords 1 & 3 (Overall HS; Sustain, Low Density):
    • Set <note time> tags to ignore=”1” @ 16s&18s
    • Add <chord time> tags with HD=0 @ 16s&18s
  • Chords 2 & 4: (Overall HS; Sustain, High Density):
    • Set <note time> tags to ignore=”1” @ 17s&19s
    • Add <chord time> tags with HD=1 @ 17s&19s

…So that was the summary …. LOL

Dummy Chords Robustness Testing  - Detailed Results

The following Google Drive link contains the 11 large images, alluded to in the Preliminary Comments and they contain screenshots, both in-game and in-EoF, XML manual tweaks and test-by-test conclusions. It would be too large to post here so when you want more details from a given summary point, simply refer to the stated corresponding test result in the link below.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B63pbIBRC6HQU1NhY2ZUZU1GTTA&usp=sharing

Final Comments

Lots of tests carried out, the details of which I didn’t want to complicate this summary with, so please go ahead and ask away if you have questions. It’s likely that I tested your question and can point you to the exact test.

Again, please let me know if I’ve forgotten or misrepresented anything.

Cheers,

Berneer

• Like 3

@@Berneer,

As usual, you have done a great testing job !  :D

1) Overlaped handShapes

In your XML example, there are several overlaped handshapes :

<handShape chordId="4" endTime="7.75" startTime="6"/>
  <handShape chordId="-1" endTime="6.001" startTime="6"/>

What is the purpose of the "dummy chordId handShape" when another handShape starts at the same time position ?

2) Non elimination of single notes

About the non elimination issue of the surimposed single notes in DDC, it is because the associated handShape has a dummy chordId.

I can modify this by deducting the chordId from the chord tag at the same time position ...

3) Phrases start time

Your are using phrases which don't start on the main beat of a measure. Is it intentional for testing purposes ?

For your information I had to add a logic in DDC in order to modify the start time position of the first handShape of a phrase (same time position as the one of the phrase) to avoid a display issue in RS2014.

Thank you