Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

Well, @@SmellyOrc seems to be saying he has the same issue with the fret hand positions. (Who'd have ever thought I'd be typing the word SmellyOrc? Thanks, internet!)

In my file, the fret hand positions are linked to a specific time -- not to the beat markers or their grid positions -- so it makes sense they won't move. Maybe I did something wrong? (Well, I probably did something wrong :wink: ) Is there a way to link the fret hand positions to specific beat markers?

Edit: Not only that, but I just spent the last hour or so remapping the fret hand positions. Except for some reason, EOF didn't complete the save (it's possible this is because I once again became confused by the multiple warning messages during the save process -- I still believe there should be a QUICK SAVE option to save just the inputted data).

I was able to save part of my work by using the backup file, but not all of it. (Glad that backup file exists though!)

EOF is designed so that fret hand positions are supposed to automatically move when you click and drag beat markers, in the same way that the notes do. It shouldn't matter whether or not the fret hand positions are defined on beat marker positions. If you have a project where clicking and dragging a particular beat doesn't cause the fret hand positions to move, please send it my way with instructions for reproducing the problem and I'll try to fix it.

The prompts usually offer to cancel save so you can address a particular problem, so it's generally OK to answer no to those questions in order to carry out the save. If the save actually fails, EOF should give an error message to that effect. I could consider a quick save function, but there might not be a good keyboard shortcut to assign to it. Due to most user preferences, both CTRL+S and F2 perform the save function, as they have for years, and if I re-assign one of them to a different save function it might annoy some long time users.

Actually, what I figured out is that the automatic backup function IS basically a quick-save. I noticed that one of them (pretty sure it's notes_backup.eof ) had a later date-stamp than the others. I loaded that one and was able to recover pretty much all the work I'd done -- except for the last five minutes or so.

And since it managed to save all the inputting I'd done without the prompts for fret-hands etc., it seems to me that it's exactly what I'm looking for.

So is there a way to trigger this save? What kind of timing is it on? Every five minutes? 10? Is this user-configurable? Is there a key command for it?

Also, about the fret-hand prompts - they're definitely a great help for spotting errors at the end of a long and bleary-eyed session. As long as there's the quick-save function, I don't need to do a full save until the end anyway.

I really enjoy how, the more I work with EOF, the more it reveals its secrets.

Something new popped up. As I said, last night, I was able to recover lost work using the notes_backup file. I finished working and saved the file again.

Today I noticed that, instead of overwriting the notes.eof file, EOF is now using the notes_backup file as the main notes file -- and created new backups (named notes_backup_backup and saves_notes_backup, or something like this).

Today I noticed that, instead of overwriting the notes.eof file, EOF is now using the notes_backup file as the main notes file -- and created new backups (named notes_backup_backup and saves_notes_backup, or something like this).

That is ok especially if you need more than the 4 arrangements and need to use a second .eof file in the same folder.

That is ok especially if you need more than the 4 arrangements and need to use a second .eof file in the same folder.

Ah, interesting workaround. I was wondering how that's supposed to work. I'd been wanting to make a bonus arrangement but couldn't figure out how.

So is there a way to trigger this save? What kind of timing is it on?

It's created something along the lines of every 10 undo states. There's no way to trigger this backup save manually except by continuing to edit the project. If you're fine with accessing a "quick save" function from the File menu, I could probably add that to my to do list. It would even have a keyboard shortcut so you'd be able to activate it in a few keystrokes (ie. ALT+F, Q).

Something new popped up. As I said, last night, I was able to recover lost work using the notes_backup file. I finished working and saved the file again.Today I noticed that, instead of overwriting the notes.eof file, EOF is now using the notes_backup file as the main notes file -- and created new backups (named notes_backup_backup and saves_notes_backup, or something like this).

This is expected behavior. If you open any project file, all changes are saved to that project file and any backups that are made of it reflect the base file's name (ie. notes_backup.eof). If you want to replace your original project with the backup, you could use "File>Save as" to save over the other project file, or just rename the old project to something like notes_old.eof and the backup project file to notes.eof. As MadMaxx indicates, you can work on multiple project files in the same folder (ie. to author more than 4 arrangements for a song), although you need to be careful because one project will overwrite the other project's XML files without warning if the tracks have all of their default names. If you use Track>Rename you can set a unique name for each track and the XML files that are created will reflect this name so saving one project won't overwrite the XML files from the other project.

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (r1308) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Fixed a bug where clicking and dragging beats so that notes go over what was the previously the end of the chart would cause the notes to be deleted, now the chart's length is extended to retain the notes at their new positions.

*Improved error handling with Rocksmith lyric import.

*Updated Guitar Pro import to recognize when the selected XML file is a Rocksmith XML file rebuilt by the toolkit, which omits the XML declaration tag.

*Improved GP import by allowing two consecutive bend points of the same strength to be imported instead of just the first of them.

*Fixed a bug where the "Track>Rocksmith>Fret hand positions>Generate all diffs" function didn't correctly create undo states.

*Fixed bugs that would occur if tech view was enabled for a track: Manually or automatically generated fret hand positions would be incorrect, the exported MIDI wouldn't contain the right notes.

*Added a quick save function to the File menu. This saves the project without all of the prompts and warnings that the Save and Save as functions present.

*Added a function (Track>Rocksmith>Fret hand positions>Delete effective) that deletes the fret hand position in effect at the current seek position, if there is any. This function is assigned the SHIFT+Del shortcut.

*Improved the fret hand positions display preference by having it also draw a red line across the fret board to indicate its position, so it's easier to tell whether or not they line up exactly with notes.

*Changed the "Track>Pro guitar>Ignore tuning/capo" option to be enabled by default for pro guitar/bass tracks in new projects.

*Improved the labeling of difficulty tabs to display (*) if tech notes are present in the track difficulty but are hidden from display because tech view is not enabled.

*Improved the populated indicator for the tracks in Song>Track, which will now display an asterisk when the track has no normal notes but has one or more tech notes.

*Added a function (Note>Rocksmith>Generate FHPs) that generates fret hand positions for the selected notes, removing only the existing fret hand positions that already exist anywhere within that range of notes in the active track difficulty.

I'm giving the Mediafire account a try, hopefully the download stats work this time around.

• Like 5

As always thanks for your work with EOF , getting better and better everyday.

I´ been working with tech notes that are imported directly from a GP file. The results are great . I have some questions about it. 

Assuming that when importing GP files there´s always to change where the track starts ..To make the imported tech notes work properly you have to move first the notes and then the tech notes . Is there some way to copy paste both tracks ( normal and tech notes )at the same time ?

Edit: Now I see that you already answered that question and are working on that,  but in the meantime ,which would be the more adequate way of work .? Right now first I copy and paste regular notes and then copy and paste the tech notes . as the marker must be in the same place you want to copy the fist note  , the problem I find is with tech notes . You must search also where the first tech note stars and then copy there.

When importing the two layers are imported without problems , why when copying this not work ?

Excuse my ignorance ...

Something I should note about quick save is that it doesn't create the backup save project file or write any files besides the project file itself (ie. no XML files). I'll probably have to have it use the more thorough save function's code, except switching the prompts off.

Assuming that when importing GP files there´s always to change where the track starts ..To make the imported tech notes work properly you have to move first the notes and then the tech notes . Is there some way to copy paste both tracks ( normal and tech notes )at the same time ?

There's no way to copy and paste both types of notes at once, that would take somewhat elaborate changes and I probably won't get to it for a while. I always recommend against clicking and dragging notes after a Guitar Pro import, you should click and drag beat markers to sync the tablature to the audio. If you do this, the tech notes and regular notes will both be moved together.

Hmm, is that what I've been doing wrong? I've been preparing the beatmap, then locking it, then importing the Guitar Pro tab.

Are you saying that the first thing to do is import the Gpro tab and then line up the beats to the audio?

I like the quick save -- when I do that, all I'm looking for is to save the inputting work of I've been doing -- an old habit I have of saving every few seconds (I started on computers a LONG time ago). This way, I don't have to worry about losing work when there's a power cut or the cat jumps on my keyboard. Saving to the .xml files is, to me, a final step before packaging the CDLC.

I gave a more elaborate explanation here:

http://customsforge.com/topic/841-how-to-make-cdlc-full-in-depth-tut-completed/page-5?p=18796&do=findComment&comment=18796

I tested the changes to the quick save function and it works nice, in the next hotfix, all project related files (MIDI, XMLs, WAV, etc) will be created when using the quick save function, will rotate out the ".backup.eof" save of the previous saved copy of the project, will do the strong verifications to ensure the project save succeeded, etc.

Okay, I understand what I've been doing wrong, thanks again, as always!

Edit: I tried it out this morning, works much better now! But I have a question: Is it normal that EOF doesn't interpret the triplets properly? It also seems to have trouble with the shuffle beat.

Edit: I found an old thread on Smithy's that talks about the triplets issue. For the moment, I just turned off the grid snap and arranged them by ear. I'll try changing the grid to 1/12 for the triplets.

But considering the importance of the shuffle beat in rock music, and triplets in music in general, it seems odd the EOF isn't able to deal with these automatically.

Thanks raynebc and MadMaxx ..

I will apply your tips for new songs . Now I´m updating with tech notes and the only way to apply the imported ones from a gp file is to import the gp file , copy only the tech notes and then search where the first tech note fails and paste.

It´s a easy way to update old charts and revamp some songs. Thanks again raynebc for adding this feature.

Is it normal that EOF doesn't interpret the triplets properly?

There are no known problems with triplets no importing correctly, please send me the file so I can check it out.

It also seems to have trouble with the shuffle beat.

"Triplet feel" notation as it is called in Guitar Pro isn't supported yet. The reason for this is because Guitar Pro doesn't actually notate the notes as triplets, it notates them normally and they have to be interpreted differently.

EOF interpreted the triplets as 16th notes (I had grid snap on 1/32 when I imported/pasted the track, not sure if that makes a difference). But it did get some of the triplets right -- at the end of the song, they were fine. It's an old rockabilly song, so the tempo varies a lot, don't know if that changes anything. I'll experiment some more with it tomorrow. 

I can see where the shuffle beat can be a problem, since they're notated as 8th notes -- they just give the little "shuffle feel" indicator at the top to tell you how to play.

It doesn't matter what grid snap is in effect when you import, EOF only uses the note positioning in the GP file and the timing of the beat map.

No, I was wrong (as usual). I experimented a bit this morning, and EOF does indeed import the triplets and seemed to get the shuffle beat right too.

This was hard to see (possibly because of the zoom level I was in) and I'd made the mistake of resnapping to 1/32. But when I renapped again to 1/12, the triplets and shuffle beat fell into place.

I think others have asked this before, but is it possible to add in additional grid lines according to the grid snap setting?

As it turns out, the dotted note I was mentioning was another kind of dot:

diff --git a/src/gp_import.c b/src/gp_import.cindex 017d976..777f9a0 100644--- a/src/gp_import.c+++ b/src/gp_import.c@@ -3611,6 +3611,7 @@ struct eof_guitar_pro_struct *eof_load_gp(const char * fn, char *undo_made)                                                                }                                                                if(byte2 & 1)                                                                {       //Note played staccato+                                                                       note_is_short = 1;                                                                }                                                                if(byte2 & 2)                                                                {       //Palm mute