Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

The XML generated during save shows that the handshape phrase does actually overlap the ghost handshape chord at 45.480 seconds:

<handShape chordId="19" endTime="45.480" startTime="44.988"/>
When you re-mark you must make sure that ghost handshape chord is not selected. You can temporarily increase the length of the single note immediately before the ghost handshape chord to make the handshape phrase longer when you mark it, but that single note is marked with "crazy" status (from the handshape behavior in slightly older versions of EOF), so EOF will allow that note to overlap the ghost handshape chord and cause this problem. The easiest fix is to select that single note and press T to remove the crazy status (the fret number box will change back to the normal black text on white background color) and then you can lengthen the note as far as it will go and EOF will automatically shorten it to end before the ghost handshape chord (this is the "min. note distance" setting in File>Preferences). Then you can re-mark the handshape tag, optionally shorten the length of the single note and save the project. After this, the handshape phrase will end slightly before the ghost handshape takes effect:

<handShape chordId="19" endTime="45.477" startTime="44.988"/>
<handShape chordId="4" endTime="45.726" startTime="45.480"/>
  • Like 1

The XML generated during save shows that the handshape phrase does actually overlap the ghost handshape chord at 45.480 seconds:

<handShape chordId="19" endTime="45.480" startTime="44.988"/>
When you re-mark you must make sure that ghost handshape chord is not selected. You can temporarily increase the length of the single note immediately before the ghost handshape chord to make the handshape phrase longer when you mark it, but that single note is marked with "crazy" status (from the handshape behavior in slightly older versions of EOF), so EOF will allow that note to overlap the ghost handshape chord and cause this problem. The easiest fix is to select that single note and press T to remove the crazy status (the fret number box will change back to the normal black text on white background color) and then you can lengthen the note as far as it will go and EOF will automatically shorten it to end before the ghost handshape chord (this is the "min. note distance" setting in File>Preferences). Then you can re-mark the handshape tag, optionally shorten the length of the single note and save the project. After this, the handshape phrase will end slightly before the ghost handshape takes effect:

<handShape chordId="19" endTime="45.477" startTime="44.988"/>
<handShape chordId="4" endTime="45.726" startTime="45.480"/>

You're totally right, thanks!

My Custom Songs (Workshop)                                              YouTube Videos

80C651DEE.png

I think it's necessary to incorporate the ghost handshape to the DD creator because when i make the psarc file without DD there's no problems, but with DD the chords with this new function appear only its boxes

My Custom Songs (Workshop)                                              YouTube Videos

80C651DEE.png

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but if you have multiple handshapes/arpeggios throughout an entire arrangement, it can get really frustrating re-marking them all again.  I have to say that the lack of a copy function for handshape/arpeggio markings has caused me to omit them completely on a few occasions.

An example would be where the lead/rhythm are similar except a few places (like guitar solos).  I spend some time tidying up the rhythm arrangement (sustain lengths, adding handshapes etc) and want to just copy over from the rhythm to lead, and it copies over everything except the handshape/arpeggio markings.

Things are further complicated as it copies over the crazy status and artificial ghost notes that the original handshape marking created (in the other arrangement), and I am pretty sure that this causes "new" handshape markings problems.

I am not really fussed for the functionality to be added (I still rarely use handshape/arpeggio markings as I think in most cases that charts are clearer without them), just wanted to point out that it can end up being far more than a few keystrokes and that it is a function that I have thought would be handy in the past.

Maybe not a separate copy function, just include marking as part and parcel of the normal copy/paste?  The h/a markings cannot be imported from GP files, so if they ever appear in EoF then they have been created manually and copy/pasting them would seem natural to the user.

• Like 2

I agree with @@PC Plum here, and I think this is something I brought up a while ago.

There were other examples, but the one that stands out most vividly is Reign in Madness, which has a 24 measure acoustic break that repeats a cycle of four (or five - one of them is really two, but I just left the latter part of it unmarked due to laziness) arpeggios that each last around a measure, and is on both the lead and rhythm tracks.

With this as they are, this means I have to mark 48 arpeggios, where each marking consists of 

-Seeking to a place where I can see both the starting and ending notes

-Clicking on the first note

-Shift-clicking on the last note

-Hitting Ctrl+Shift+G to mark the arpeggio

So let's call that 192 operations.

Then, if we had a copy and paste function, I'd first mark the first four arpeggios as above, then to paste I have to (only once) seek to the beginning note, click, seek to the end note, shift click, then control+C, then seek to the first and last notes of the section I'm going to replace (the whole thing, not just the corresponding measures of each paste), and delete it all. Then for each paste I

-Seek to somewhere I can see the starting beat

-Right-click on the starting beat

-Hit Ctrl+V

and do this 5 times for one track. Then I copy the whole thing, go over to the other track, delete the corresponding section, then paste it in.

Thus, in total I have 4 arpeggio markings (4 ops each), two copies (5 ops), two deletes (5 ops), and six pastes (3 ops), for a total of 54 operations.

Ok, so each operation doesn't necessarily take a long time, but that's still a huge savings, and when you're doing something repetitive like this the computer should be able to handle, it feels like the worst kind of drudgery.

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

• Administrator

In a way, i'm for it as it can in some occasion means less works (less tedious work) but i'll admit i would have had the used of it maybe 2 or 3 times over 20 or so custom and even if at the time it was a bit of a pain, i'm not sure it's exactly worth that much time to make this option available.

And i like to think that there some clear element that allow me to see which charter actually took the time to make his chart look good and wasn't too lazy (no offense intended here) and this is one of them (with the FHP) at the moment so i kinda like that some stuff still require some tedious work on the charter ends.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

And i like to think that there some clear element that allow me to see which charter actually took the time to make his chart look good and wasn't too lazy (no offense intended here) and this is one of them (with the FHP) at the moment so i kinda like that some stuff still require some tedious work on the charter ends.

That seems like a pretty silly reason to make things harder to chart. Why should it stop with arpeggios? Why not get rid of the option to select like notes so that to fix slides that repeat often (think Blood and Thunder) you'd have to select every single instance of the slide in the song in order to fix it?

If it's not too much trouble for @@raynebc to incorporate handshapes or arpeggios into copy and pasting (potentially a big if), I don't see any real reason it shouldn't be included, but maybe I'm missing out on one of the ramifications.

As for things to judge quality by, my first thing to look for is slides, as there are many common problems there, some of which you get reminded of when you save an EoF project. Fretboard logic is probably the next thing I look for (between that and slides, this covers many issues related to whether what's on screen is playable and whether it actually sounds right), then other more minor stuff that makes playing it easier (which is where I'd put FHP and arpeggios unless they are a major part of the song and it's hard to figure out what to do without them).

• Like 1

I think it's necessary to incorporate the ghost handshape to the DD creator because when i make the psarc file without DD there's no problems, but with DD the chords with this new function appear only its boxes

Yes- I noticed this as well on my Experiment custom, which was edited manually before the ghost handshape was added to EOF. 

• Administrator

@@albatross213 then read again the beginning of my message (the part that you actually took time to get rid of when you quoted me :D ).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (11-22-2015) is in the first post for both Mac and Windows. Changes are as follows:

*Changed RS exports so that chord names are allowed to have forward slashes once again, since this isn't expected to cause any problems in-game.

*Fixed bugs where clicking and dragging a beat containing a time signature change with a different denominator than the previous change would corrupt the tempo map if the accurate TS chart property was enabled.

*Improved the logic that marks notes with crazy status after MIDI and GP imports to avoid applying the status to notes that don't overlap others by at least two milliseconds.

• Like 6

I noticed that on some songs the auto-generated FHP were glitching. Not the stuff like with tapping where it goes crazy because of the four fret range, but that it sets the FHP higher than the notes played, resulting in the noteway actually being off of the notes.

A folder with (hopefully) all of the necessary files is here. This happens on both of the bass tracks (one is 5-string, one is adjusted to 4-string) after the arpeggios about 5:07 or 5:10 into the song, where it's set a FHP of 10 for some time despite notes being played well below that.

Since this occurs after an arpeggio, I also noticed that sometimes notes after arpeggios were handled a little (but not as alarmingly so) strangely in other cases. For example, one song I worked on had an arpeggio on the 10th fret that's occasionally interrupted by a note "outside" of the arpeggio on the 11th fret, and when FHP were generated it had the FHP shift to the 11th fret for that note. I could whip up a folder for that if you'd like to see that as well.

Lastly, I just wanted to thank you for the fix to the tempo map when switching denominators. Given the type of music I chart there are sometimes lots of those switches, and they always made syncing even harder than it should have been. Not sure if I ever whined about it here, but this is a tremendously helpful fix for myself and (I'm sure anyone else who charts more progressive stuff).

• Like 2

Sure, here is the folder for the other one. Freshly generated FHPs, and the arpeggios are on lead guitar (PART REAL_GUITAR_22) from 1:55 to 2:21 and 2:37 to 3:03. Both have the unnecessary FHP shifts I noted above on some of the single notes interspersed in there, but the first also has a high FHP set coming out of it (fret 12 when playing 3-5 stuff). I hope it's helpful for testing the fix!

Leading Silence does not work for me.  Is there a fix or a way to get a similar result without using the add 3000 milliseconds function?

You can use audacity tool to add yourself the leading silence at the beginning of the song.

Audacity can also be used to convert the audio file (from mp3 or flac to ogg and wav).

I do this for all my CDLCs ... 

Sure, here is the folder for the other one. Freshly generated FHPs, and the arpeggios are on lead guitar (PART REAL_GUITAR_22) from 1:55 to 2:21 and 2:37 to 3:03. Both have the unnecessary FHP shifts I noted above on some of the single notes interspersed in there, but the first also has a high FHP set coming out of it (fret 12 when playing 3-5 stuff). I hope it's helpful for testing the fix!

I think I've got this fixed.

Leading Silence does not work for me.

This is almost always just the "steam copy" option that is malfunctioning, as it doesn't work with some OGG files. If you try the re-encode option, it will probably work. Let me know if that's not the case.
  • Like 1

@@raynebc I think I've come across a wrinkle in the tempo map fix present in the latest hotfix (11-22).

When working with a 12/8 tempo map, I'm still experiencing a similar type of "corruption" issue as before. The problem occurs when moving the first beat of every other measure in 12/8. Moving the first beat of each measure works just fine, but moving every other down beat causes the first measure to become corrupt.

It's happened in 3 12/8 projects that I've started new under the 11-22 hotfix, so I doubt you'd need a project file from (but certainly let me know if it'd help). To reproduce it, just start with a blank 12/8 tempo map, anchor the first beat somewhere and then move the downbeat of measure 3.

The good news is that (using the above example) you're at least able to successfully adjust measure 2 again. :)

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

I made a chart to your specifications, but couldn't trigger a glitch. Could you provide a simple test project file with a minimum set of steps (ie. click and drag beat ###)?

It's my fault. Looks like I was wrong about the steps that would cause it. For me, it occurs when moving a beat that is between other anchored beats.

Here's a test project for you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vaeubtcfb09qbjt/notes.eof?dl=0

The glitch can be triggered by clicking and dragging the first beat of either the second or third measure.

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs