Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

If it's any consolation, the menu system has hotkeys so you can access Song>Catalog>Add and >Delete with 4 key strokes each (ALT+S, C, A or D).

I consolated myself with these hotkeys, but if the mouse happens to point at the opened menu, the keys don't work. 

Q opens Catalag, W E seek forward/backward, so why should it be a problem to use A to add and D to delete a Catalog.

(Catalog doesn't interfere with the notes, so there is no danger in changing sth. by mistake.)

A & D are not used as a stand alone shortkey, as far as I know.

That's the one limitation with menu hotkeys, the mouse is still able to override your keyboard navigation. You'd have to move the mouse somewhere out of the way first. I could look into hiding the mouse when the menu is opened with the keyboard, to prevent this problem. The A key is used to toggle the anchor status for the selected beat.

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (r1376) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Re-organized the Rocksmith sections into a more sensible order.

*Improved GP import to drop the final bend point in a bend if it was the same height as the previous one, since such bend points just add clutter and too many close bend points can cause Rocksmith to crash.

*Improved GP import dialog to automatically close after a track is imported.

*Improved GPA import to support fractional numbers that are defined with as many as 40 characters.

*Added functions to the Note>Rocksmith menu to remove or toggle linknext status. The toggle function can be invoked with the SHIFT+N keyboard shortcut.

• Like 1

I always thought there already was a shortcut for LinkNext and I just didn't knew it. Guess, I was wrong. :lol:

Thanks, raynebc. Great update.

One question: What does the GPA import improvement change in practice? Does it place the anchorpoints more accurately now or is that just to avoid any possible errors on import?

Is there any way EoF could convert grace notes? It's a pain in the ass when a song has a bunch of grace notes and i have to manually replace grace notes throughout the song. Maybe convert them into a regular note with a slide or hammer/pull off?

This has been discussed here a year ago, and the problem seems grace notes are attached to the following note, without a timing of their own. I don't know if GPalong handles these notes to make it easier to import. Same goes for Ghost notes that aren't a sustain of previous notes.

Their importance to music is underrated, but when I play "Ween - A tear for Eddie", without ghost or grace notes, people say "nice", but when I play with these "decorations" they say "WOW". It's not important for Headbangers though. ;)

• Like 2

@@raynebc, i've got message from google code guys, well where I can find sources in near future?

Most likely on GitHub:

https://github.com/NewCreature/editor-on-fire

Is there any way EoF could convert grace notes? It's a pain in the ass when a song has a bunch of grace notes and i have to manually replace grace notes throughout the song. Maybe convert them into a regular note with a slide or hammer/pull off?

I can think about it some more, but I can't make any guarantees due to the way these are defined in the GP file.
  • Like 1

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (r1377) is in the first post. This hotfix improves GP import to handle grace notes. Slide and hammer grace note techniques are imported based on my understanding on what they're supposed to mean. The special logic for bending grace notes isn't implemented yet. I need feedback about how such grace notes are supposed to import. Should the grace note and the note it leads into import as separate notes, and the grace note given linknext status? Should the grace note and the note it leads into combine into one long note and tech notes are added to simulate the bend and hold (bending grace note that begins on a lower fret than the note it precedes) or the bend and release (bending grace note that begins on a higher fret than the note it precedes)? Shoudl they import some other way?

• Like 3

About Import issues from GP5 tabs :

Grace notes fall in the Category "Ornaments" because they don't influence the melody/pitch

For E-Guitars, I would say 90%, are placed one or two frets lower than their principle note. 

I use a short timed slide with nextlink, they can be chords too, not only single notes.

I make no difference between a Slide in and Grace note.

Sometimes it's preferable to play them as hammer on/offs depending on Fret hand position required of what to play next .

The Grace note maybe played as a full note after the principal note, so sliding up doesn't make sense.

but maybe that requires too much logic, and falls in the domain of defining Fret hand positions.

Ghost notes, another ornament, are the opposite of accented notes, 

I make no difference between a finger Muted note and a ghost note. 

Notations use ghost notes also as "let ring" of a sustained note along/beyond a next note (Crazy note in EOF) 

which may make it harder to program an import logic.

Muted strings in a chord, most often a kind of 6x9 would better not to import in EOF, 

Detection of such chords often fails in RS14, they are better accepted as 6_9

Another Ornament rarely used in GP are Staccatoes, cutoff's, the notes are not sustained the whole duration. 

Most often they are interrupted by a pause / rest after the note, so they should be imported correctly.

They may not be imported when they are correctly shown with a dot under/above the classic notation.

A final Ornament are Strums, where chords are not played together, but very shortly one after another

Eric Johnson's Manhatten uses Slide ins, Grace notes, Staccatoes, Strums up and down. 

Even a downslide from fret 14 to 2 on the lower string.

The GP5 is in the download folder of Pollo_28's cDLC.

I wanted to resume these import issues, because they are often overlooked in releases.

• Like 2

In GP grace notes can have techniques applied to them, so ideally the imported notes should have those techniques applied to them if they can be read; if not it would suffice to import them as regular notes without any special techniques applied but it seems you already handled that.

Grace notes in GP are also equal to 32nd notes, so that should be their ideal length on import. Depending on the type of grace note it should fall on the connected note or come shortly before that.

Bended grace notes should probably be separate notes connected with LinkNext so they are easier to handle or delete if wanted.

• Like 1

Can anyone link a GP file with bended grace notes, I don't think I've ever seen them?  I've seen a lot of hammer on/pull off grace notes but never any with a bend technique on it.

Maybe if I can see it written down and hear it in a file then I can imagine how I would approach it in EoF.

As a rule I wouldn't connect anything with linknext on import, just makes things messy.

A lot of tab books have tabs where grace notes are used when bends are starting quickly. I'll look for an example and post it here. When I put them into GP myself however I always put the bend on the regular note and I've never really seen them in GP files, tbh.

Grace notes fall in the Category "Ornaments" because they don't influence the melody/pitch

For E-Guitars, I would say 90%, are placed one or two frets lower than their principle note. 

I use a short timed slide with nextlink, they can be chords too, not only single notes.

I make no difference between a Slide in and Grace note.

Since EOF imports sliding grace notes as slides leading into the note, should it just mark the grace note with linknext then?

Sometimes it's preferable to play them as hammer on/offs depending on Fret hand position required of what to play next .

The Grace note maybe played as a full note after the principal note, so sliding up doesn't make sense.

but maybe that requires too much logic, and falls in the domain of defining Fret hand positions.

Guitar Pro allows the author to define whether a grace note's transition is a slide, bend, hammer/pull or nothing in particular. EOF is generally only going to import it as it is authored.

Ghost notes, another ornament, are the opposite of accented notes, 

I make no difference between a finger Muted note and a ghost note. 

Notations use ghost notes also as "let ring" of a sustained note along/beyond a next note (Crazy note in EOF) 

which may make it harder to program an import logic.

Ghost notes mean entirely different things than with Rocksmith/Rock Band authoring. If people want a ringing note playing on top of other notes, there are explicit ways to author that in sheet music/tab. I'd probably want a majority user opinion before changing how these import because some people author Rocksmith charts in GP and may expect it to work a particular way.

Muted strings in a chord, most often a kind of 6x9 would better not to import in EOF, 

Detection of such chords often fails in RS14, they are better accepted as 6_9

Do official charts usually prefer leaving the string unused or do they usually author them as muted strings? I'd rather stick with the official method as a default, but I can always add a function to remove string muted notes in chords if people would find that useful.

Another Ornament rarely used in GP are Staccatoes, cutoff's, the notes are not sustained the whole duration. 

Most often they are interrupted by a pause / rest after the note, so they should be imported correctly.

They may not be imported when they are correctly shown with a dot under/above the classic notation.

Unless the GP file explicitly defines where the note is stopped/interrupted I probably won't add any logic for this since it would only be guesswork on EOF's part. The chart author can always touch up the imported tab to correct deficiencies of the original GP file.

A final Ornament are Strums, where chords are not played together, but very shortly one after another

Eric Johnson's Manhatten uses Slide ins, Grace notes, Staccatoes, Strums up and down. 

Even a downslide from fret 14 to 2 on the lower string.

I'll need more examples I guess, such as a direct link to a GP file and citations of which measures of which tracks you're referring to. Unless it's something that can be displayed in-game, there's not much point for EOF to support anything particularly exotic.

In GP grace notes can have techniques applied to them, so ideally the imported notes should have those techniques applied to them if they can be read; if not it would suffice to import them as regular notes without any special techniques applied but it seems you already handled that.

Grace notes in GP are also equal to 32nd notes, so that should be their ideal length on import. Depending on the type of grace note it should fall on the connected note or come shortly before that.

Bended grace notes should probably be separate notes connected with LinkNext so they are easier to handle or delete if wanted.

I'd need a sample GP file. In Guitar Pro 5, I cannot find that the grace note itself can be individually selected to have the same range of techniques normal notes can. The grace note dialog only allows the grace note to be specified as a slide/bend or that the note following it is played as a hammer on or pull off. Also, GP allows the grace note to be defined as a 16th, 32nd or even a 64th note, it's not limited to 32nd (that's only the default duration). Regarding linknext status with bend grace notes, does anybody have any thoughts on whether tech notes need to be involved?

As a rule I wouldn't connect anything with linknext on import, just makes things messy.

Not even a slide grace note (basically a slide-into technique)?

• Administrator

Just to add my little point of view on some part.

ghost notes in cases of let ring like function and such are mostly a specific notation for music sheet and are generally there to also indicate change in the technique change during sustain (exemple : ghost note are created when adding a vibrato in the middle of the sustain to indicate where the vibrato is supposed to happen).

Most of the time, ghost notes are automatically created by GP during authoring because of music sheet related standard than for specifics techniques. I even seen ghost notes authored for indicating an echo effect on GP which makes me think than importing it would not be really usefull in my opinion. But on a second thought we already did have a big discussion about ghost notes for slides out at the end of a sustain for exemple. So i don't know what to think about it.

Muted strings are never shown in chords (especially octaves) as far as i can recall on any official songs. Moreover it can causes recognition issue in some case so if EOF can clean up this during import, why not!

Staccatoes aren't really display in any kind of specific format in official (said a tracker during a stream) so apart from the no sustain part (obviously) EOF should not change anything. I'll admit that it would be a bit cleaner on import if EOF could not create sustain on note with the staccato indication but nothing more.

Strum is a bit complex technique since official can display them really differently depending on many criteria. A strum with muted note first will always be display each note separatly but strums on chord can sometimes be either a normal chords or a series of note depending on speed, how clean it would look and such. I don't think EOF should do anything about it since the logic behind it seems a bit of a personnal appreciation.

For me Linknext status could be used on import but only if the actual slides indication does indicate to not pick again.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Since EOF imports sliding grace notes as slides leading into the note, should it just mark the grace note with linknext then?
Yes, must be a nextlink, in case of a slide, I've never seen a 2nd pick, because logically a grace note belongs to his principle note.

Such a slide is in EJ-Manhattan Tab (Guitar1) at bar 10

No slide in GP should logically be imported as Hammer on/ Pull off

EJ-Manhattan Tab bar 26,27,39, 40 ...

Ghost notes mean entirely different things than with Rocksmith/Rock Band authoring.

Agreed, and Ghost notes sustaining a same previous notes must not be imported, as this tends to make the tabs less readable.

EJ-Manhattan Tab bar 39, 87 (6) 

Ghost notes different in pitch from a previous note are played slightly touched, almost as a muted noted, they are interesting to import. 

In The Patrolman Tab (lead) bar 41 (17) they are audible, but well hidden among many sustained ghost notes.

Do official charts usually prefer leaving the string unused or do they usually author them as muted strings? I'd rather stick with the official method as a default, but I can always add a function to remove string muted notes in chords if people would find that useful.

A charter raised my attention, and I was really surprised, how badly RS14 recognized some 3 finger chords with a muted string in-between. In the official Eric Johnson - Cliff of Dover, a chord has no green muted string.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/61ec/3i0nx30190bxk9uzg.jpg

In Eric Johnson Manhattan cdlc, the Tab starts with a muted string in chords. Never can I get the 6x8 detected. 

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/e115/0vdb9gn91fv29b7zg.jpg

Strums are not exotic, I get them regularly. The duration to play them is defined in GP.

if played really slow, I define a Chord Fret Handposition and split up a chord in individual notes, if they are not split in GP.

They may appear like this : The 3 ways in GP sound more or less the same.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/59a6/91efvk0au087wz7zg.jpg

• Like 2

Muted strings are never shown in chords (especially octaves) as far as i can recall on any official songs. Moreover it can causes recognition issue in some case so if EOF can clean up this during import, why not!

It seems like multiple people here agree Rocksmith sucks at detecting muted strings, I can look into changing GP import to ignore string mutes inside of chords.

Staccatoes aren't really display in any kind of specific format in official (said a tracker during a stream) so apart from the no sustain part (obviously) EOF should not change anything. I'll admit that it would be a bit cleaner on import if EOF could not create sustain on note with the staccato indication but nothing more.

That makes sense. Is anybody opposed to me making this change?

For me Linknext status could be used on import but only if the actual slides indication does indicate to not pick again.

EOF's GP import does take this into account for the difference between legato and shift slides. However with grace notes Guitar Pro doesn't seem to offer that kind of distinction, I agree with TomSawyer2112 that it's most likely meant to be a slide into (ie. a legato slide).

Strums are not exotic, I get them regularly. The duration to play them is defined in GP.

if played really slow, I define a Chord Fret Handposition and split up a chord in individual notes, if they are not split in GP.

They may appear like this : The 3 ways in GP sound more or less the same.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/59a6/91efvk0au087wz7zg.jpg

Playing a chord slowly is closer to being an arpeggio, so using the arpeggio or handshape feature like you indicated is probably the best way to handle it. From the screen capture it looks like it was just authored as overlapping tied notes. EOF should be importing them that way already, you should just have to add a handshape if that's how you want it to display in-game.

Can anyone link a GP file with bended grace notes, I don't think I've ever seen them?  I've seen a lot of hammer on/pull off grace notes but never any with a bend technique on it.

Maybe if I can see it written down and hear it in a file then I can imagine how I would approach it in EoF.

Here's an example you can find in practically any song book:

http://i.imgur.com/PEK2O1H.jpg

They are less common in GP files however but can be made to look that way (at least in GP 6).

I'd need a sample GP file. In Guitar Pro 5, I cannot find that the grace note itself can be individually selected to have the same range of techniques normal notes can. The grace note dialog only allows the grace note to be specified as a slide/bend or that the note following it is played as a hammer on or pull off. Also, GP allows the grace note to be defined as a 16th, 32nd or even a 64th note, it's not limited to 32nd (that's only the default duration). Regarding linknext status with bend grace notes, does anybody have any thoughts on whether tech notes need to be involved?

At least in GP 6 it is possible to apply every technique to a grace note that a regular note can have as well and I also can't see any way to change the duration of a grace note, so that must have changed drastically from GP 5 to 6. I've produce a test file where I applied every relevant technique that EoF can handle to grace notes but it doesn't seem to export to the GP 5 format because it's not supported.

Here's picture of all the techniques when applied to grace notes in GP 6:

http://i.imgur.com/2QKkE8s.jpg

And here are the test files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e2otzhp1k7l1coy/AADCoqptEGJoeVk8X3yHQBfHa?dl=0

One is in gpx and one in gp5 format.

I'm surprised standard music notation doesn't have a better way to notate bends. In any case, Guitar Pro has an actual guitar-centric way to define bends so I think it's best to focus on supporting that as it's the way the majority of them are authored and the way they should be authored in a tablature-centric program.

As far as grace note techniques, GP5 simply doesn't offer them. And the file specification I put together based on TuxGuitar's source code doesn't show a possibility for it either.

Edit: None of the grace notes in your sample GP5 file had any techniques. Not even the grace note techniques that we know GP5 supports.

Edit: None of the grace notes in your sample GP5 file had any techniques. Not even the grace note techniques that we know GP5 supports.

Yeah, I thought so. Well, I would just stick to what GP 5 supports then. Most techniques are not relevant for grace notes anyway.