Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

Raynebc, I encountered another bug (or intended behaviour, I don't know, but it just doesn't look right): EoF doesn't write (or at least not always) a handshape tag on new chords if that chord starts out as a string muted chord.

In the game it shows up like this:

http://thumbnails110.imagebam.com/31287/2c24ab312864151.jpg

It's the string muted repeat after the 3x C5 power chords. In EoF it looks like this:

http://thumbnails110.imagebam.com/31287/a2e314312864505.jpg

So my question: Is this intended or is it a bug? If it's intended, can/will you change it?

One more bug I've encountered: When the lyrics are already in place and I change the bpm on a beat marker with Adjust notes enabled, the lyrics are deleted. Lyric markers are still there, but there's no lyrics. Example project file here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ohvp5b

The lyrics don't get deleted when "Adjust Notes" is not enabled.

Here's a couple of weirdnesses I encountered:

1) When copying/pasting, the Grid Snap gets lost -- unless I use the Seek-->Next Snap command to place the cursor before pasting. It took me a while to figure this out -- even though I'd line up the pasted notes to the beat marker, most of the notes end up slightly off the beat. (I believe this explains the sync issues I've found in a lot of customs.)  When using the Next Snap command to place the cursor, everything snaps to the grip the way it should.

But I think pasting should default to the grid. Just as I really wish the default behavior of the cursor would be to forward/rewind according to the grid, not to the time.

2) I'm convinced there's a bug in the Note editing function. I believe it's not always accepting the changes I've made -- in fact, I'm certain of this. This morning I decided to remove a number of slides -- I decided they weren't necessary and just cluttered up the screen -- so I selected all of them (using the Like function) and replaced all them in the same way. I then verified that these changes were made throughout the entire piece.

The second example I'm even more certain: I'd changed my mind about a particular chord configuration and had to make the change throughout the entire file. I know I changed each and every instance. When I went to save, I was prompted to correct the hand position for a number of chords -- the exact same chords I thought I just changed! I had to go back through all of them again, this time have to change each one at a time (because of the way the save prompted works).

But this evening when I went to test the package, I discovered that all of these changes hadn't been made at all!

Very discouraging!

I was making these changes using the N function -- alternating between the keyboard and the mouse wheel, depending on which was closer.

I think I'm going to roll back to a previous version : I didn't have this behavior a couple of days ago.

Raynebc, I encountered another bug (or intended behaviour, I don't know, but it just doesn't look right): EoF doesn't write (or at least not always) a handshape tag on new chords if that chord starts out as a string muted chord.

It's intentional. Fully string muted chords are appended to the previous chord's handshape tag as long as there aren't any single notes separating them. You can force a string muted chord to start its own handshape by applying "crazy" status (ie. select the note and hit the 'T' key).

One more bug I've encountered: When the lyrics are already in place and I change the bpm on a beat marker with Adjust notes enabled, the lyrics are deleted. Lyric markers are still there, but there's no lyrics.

Thanks, I'll check this out.

1) When copying/pasting, the Grid Snap gets lost -- unless I use the Seek-->Next Snap command to place the cursor before pasting.

This is expected behavior, although the grid snap setting isn't being lost, it just isn't lining up with the grid snap positions if the seek position isn't grid snapped when you perform the paste. The first note is pasted starting at where the seek position currently is, like with copying and pasting text into a document.

But I think pasting should default to the grid. Just as I really wish the default behavior of the cursor would be to forward/rewind according to the grid, not to the time.

Feedback input mode seeks based on the current grid snap, but the other input modes do not. Even then, that's why I made those seek controls available via the Pg Up and Pg Dn keys. This is the best way to provide the most flexibility to everybody.

2) I'm convinced there's a bug in the Note editing function.

If you can verify a problem and reproduce it on demand, let me know.

The second example I'm even more certain: I'd changed my mind about a particular chord configuration and had to make the change throughout the entire file. I know I changed each and every instance. When I went to save, I was prompted to correct the hand position for a number of chords

Fret hand positions aren't something that you can manipulate this way. Fret hand position errors would only be given if the track had some permanently stored into the project but the position wasn't considered suitable based on a chord's fretting or fingering. You would either need to delete the hand positions so they get regenerated automatically during save, or edit/generate the positions manually after changing the chords.

But this evening when I went to test the package, I discovered that all of these changes hadn't been made at all!

There could be all sorts of reasons such as the toolkit not being given the updated XML files, or the new song package not replacing the old one in your Rocksmith song folder. Only if the XML file doesn't contain your changes would it be considered a bug in EOF. If you have time to spot check the XML file to see if it doesn't reflect the project, let me know if you find any discrepancies.

I think I'm going to roll back to a previous version : I didn't have this behavior a couple of days ago.

The edit pro guitar note dialog behavior hasn't changed recently. However if you find that the XML files between the two different versions don't match even though the project file is the same, let me know.

One more bug I've encountered: When the lyrics are already in place and I change the bpm on a beat marker with Adjust notes enabled, the lyrics are deleted. Lyric markers are still there, but there's no lyrics.

Thanks, I'll check this out.

I've had this happen to me too recently. Just wanted to confirm this.Thank you for your great work as always

Well, I had a chance to look it over this morning -- I think it's probably just (new) user error. I had tried the "select precise like" function for a specific recurring slide note and changing that note, but instead of only changing the slide notes, it changed ALL of the notes on that string!

It's possible (probable) I only used the "select like" function, which I'm guessing only looks at the fret numbers, not at any attributes.

Anyway, while fixing the mess I made, I discovered a number of new errors I'd overlooked, so it's all good.

Meanwhile, for the Pasting thing -- even though it pastes to the cursor, when I drag it to the appropriate grid snap point on the beatmap, shouldn't ALL of the notes snap to the grid? This isn't what was happening -- and from other customs I've seen, a lot of people haven't noticed this either.

Is there a "Re-snap" command?

Last thing: I noted that you put the key list in the help menu. Could you make it open like the other help files? That way I can keep it up and running while I'm working (until I get things memorized -- if ever).

"Select like" only compares the fret values and strings used, so "fret 8 on the E string" and "fret 8 on the E string that also slides" would both be considered a match. "Precise select like" requires the techniques to be the same, so "fret 8 on the E string" and "fret 8 on the E string that also slides" would be considered different.

The paste issue you're talking about isn't a problem with paste, it's the behavior of clicking and dragging multiple notes across tempo changes. All notes are moved the same number of milliseconds instead of each one being grid snapped, so notes will fall out of grid snap when you do this. That's why you need to seek to the appropriate position before pasting in order to avoid this. There's a resnap command in the Note menu (and a shortcut is given), but this function can be destructive and should be used carefully: If two notes are moved to the same grid snap position during resnapping, they are merged (EOF will warn you if this happens, so you can undo the operation). Or if the grid snap value you have is too large (small denominator value), notes may snap to a position that you don't want simply because they're closer to that grid snap based on the current grid snap value.

About the key list, it's a text file that EOF displays in a simple text box. You can open it up in a text editor or program of your choosing though, it's the keys.txt file in EOF's bin folder. If I ever have enough spare time to come up with a master list of all keyboard shortcuts, I'll probably make it an HTML help file that launches in your default web browser, and that would allow the best formatting.

hm I think you should globally mark a diff (*Medium) even if only tech notes are inside it.

The problem is that if i have for example notes and tech notes inside Medium and i use Paste From into Amazing and delete the notes in Medium using ctrl+a the tech notes still stay there but i can only see that something is left in Medium if tech mode is activated.

The alternative would be to throw a warning stating that there are tech note without use/with red status.

Besides that tech mode sometimes cant be deactivated and the tech notes disappear. This have happened when using Paste From Medium (includes tech notes) to Amazing and then deleting the notes in Medium. Maybe the tech notes with red status  in Medium create an issue with the ones in Amazing.

The overall question is if it would be best to just delete tech notes when the user does also delete the notes in the normal mode.

hm I think you should globally mark a diff (*Medium) even if only tech notes are inside it.

I could probably do something like that, but maybe only if the difficulty limit for the track has been removed and the difficulties are displayed by number instead of by name. The difficulty tabs themselves aren't wide enough (ie. "(*Supaeasy)" would go over the edge of the tab). If I went with just displaying this for the numbered difficulties, it could go something like "*1(*)" for a difficulty that had both regular and normal notes or "1(*)" for a difficulty that only had tech notes. How does that sound? 

Besides that tech mode sometimes cant be deactivated and the tech notes disappear. This have happened when using Paste From Medium (includes tech notes) to Amazing and then deleting the notes in Medium. Maybe the tech notes with red status  in Medium create an issue with the ones in Amazing.

I couldn't reproduce this. If you find a way to do so, please let me know.

The overall question is if it would be best to just delete tech notes when the user does also delete the notes in the normal mode.

I don't know if I'd want to implement this, at least not without making it a user preference. If you wanted to remove everything in a track difficulty, the "Erase track difficulty" function is more suitable.

That's expected behavior at this time. Having copy examine the tech notes affecting the copied notes is kind of like having the delete function remove both, or clicking and dragging a note move both. There are several functions that would have to be changed to allow all of that to happen.

Here is a zip of some arrangements that I can't import as of eof r1299: http://www.sendspace.com/file/o4gtqdIn eof it says "Failure. Check log for details" And in the log it's always that tuning value error

The error message was wrong (I've fixed it), it's actually about the tag. The "count" attribute is not there even though it's required. Do you find that ALL custom songs you unpack with the toolkit have this defect? If so, it's probably a bug with the toolkit, in which case would you please open a new issue about it here?https://github.com/rscustom/rocksmith-custom-song-toolkit/issues

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (r1304) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Fixed a bug that could cause alternate endings to not import.

*Improved the "Edit bend strength" dialog to start with the input focus on the bend strength field.

*Improved the "Seek to beat/measure" dialog to empty the number field when launched and fixed a minor issue where escape may have to be pressed multiple times to cancel the dialog.

*Fixed a bug where tempo changes that lead to some of the chart running past the end of the chart audio caused such content to get removed from the project.

*Fixed a bug with RS2 export where linknext status didn't force chordnotes to keep their chord's defined sustain length unless the chordnote also had bend or slide status.

*Fixed a bug where keyboard input from various dialog windows or prompts could leak and activate other keyboard shortcuts after the dialog was closed.

*Fixed a crash that would occur if a track had more tech notes than regular notes.

*Fixed a bug where auto-adjust would lose the manually defined name of affected notes and the text of lyric entries. As a side effect, this would cause pitchless lyrics to be deleted because a lyric with both no text and no pitch is discarded.

*Fixed bugs with Feedback input mode where the "edit pro guitar note" and "edit frets/fingering" dialogs couldn't be launched for the note at the seek position without explicitly selecting the note first.

*Fixed a bug with Feedback import where if a note began at the same position as a star power phrase, it could combine with the previous note instead of being imported as a separate note.

• Like 1

Here is a zip of some arrangements that I can't import as of eof r1299: http://www.sendspace.com/file/o4gtqdIn eof it says "Failure. Check log for details" And in the log it's always that tuning value error

fabianosan asked in another thread (http://customsforge.com/topic/2533-unpacked-xml-missing-count-attribute-unable-to-import-in-eof/?do=findComment&comment=13642) if you could provide the original XML files before they were packed into a custom with the toolkit?

I could probably do something like that, but maybe only if the difficulty limit for the track has been removed and the difficulties are displayed by number instead of by name. The difficulty tabs themselves aren't wide enough (ie. "(*Supaeasy)" would go over the edge of the tab). If I went with just displaying this for the numbered difficulties, it could go something like "*1(*)" for a difficulty that had both regular and normal notes or "1(*)" for a difficulty that only had tech notes. How does that sound?

hm it sounds actually very good but the downside is that the diff limit remove seems to be needed to be activated for every track manually and that for every project, in this case a global option in preferences would be better. But im not familiar with using the diff limit remove therefore i have no clue if a global setting would make the idea behind the diff limit remove worse.

Making it a preference instead of a per track option would severely disrupt the ability to author for Rocksmith and other pro guitar capable games (Rock Band 3, Phase Shift) at the same time. I guess we can put up with it running off the edge of the difficulty tab a little.