Latest EOF releases (9-26-2020)

raynebc

BTW do you see a way to author tone changes in GP tab?  (Maybe another use case for text marker descriptions along with arpeggio chord name and vibrato frequency).  I guess this one is not so important as they stay even if I clear events but entering it manually is not much fun.

Adding special GP text notations for stuff that is easy to add in EOF seems like it would be more complicated than it has to be, and it would make the GP import code a little messier than it already is. I'd rather improve EOF's internal functionality by making it easier to author tone changes. What would you suggest to improve that, would adding a "copy" button (which copies the selected tone change to the selected beat) to the tone change list and names dialogs help? I still plan to add functionity that copies all tone changes from one track to another, I haven't forgotten about that one.

Can I ask you Raynebc?I'd like to suggest you pack all eof in .7z archives and throw away .exe from archive filenameas example:eof(r1300).7zis it possible?

It's possible, but that changes my workflow for posting a hotfix. The 7zip format overall is better than zip, but the number of bytes saved is probably negligible. Is there a functional reason you don't want .exe in the filename (ie. virus scanners flagging it more easily)? Most of the time a hotfix includes just an updated exe file, it only has other ones if I've changed them since the last release candidate. I prefer zip for EOF releases because all modern operating systems pretty much support that compression format out of the box without having to install third party software.

The computer I work on is getting pretty old - still running XP, so that might explain why the display crashed when I tried the X2 button. Otherwise the program has been really stable. Impressive!

After a couple of days of working with it, I'm starting to get used to it. I kind of wish entering notes was easier -- I keep getting confused between what the left-click button does and what the right-click button does.

And I kept wishing the right-click button would call up the Fret number/Finger number dialogue  -- partly because I'm mostly working with the mouse, so having to go to the keyboard all the time is difficult. And THAT's partly because I had a guitar in my lap the whole while so I could verify the notes I was tabbing in, so my fretting hand was usually holding the guitar.

If any of that makes sense. .

Adding special GP text notations for stuff that is easy to add in EOF seems like it would be more complicated than it has to be, and it would make the GP import code a little messier than it already is. I'd rather improve EOF's internal functionality by making it easier to author tone changes. What would you suggest to improve that, would adding a "copy" button (which copies the selected tone change to the selected beat) to the tone change list and names dialogs help? I still plan to add functionity that copies all tone changes from one track to another, I haven't forgotten about that one.

I would like to put measure+beat+tone (first one can be just base tone name) to some text file and it would be processed when RS XML is exported. It can be in song.ini for all I care, but timing by measure+beat would be as convenient as it gets.

After a couple of days of working with it, I'm starting to get used to it. I kind of wish entering notes was easier -- I keep getting confused between what the left-click button does and what the right-click button does.

Try "Rex Mundi" input mode (you can set this in File>Preferences). Then you just mouse over where you want to place a note and then press the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 number key to add a note to that lane (lane 1 is the bottom-most string). Right click will bring up a context menu, but the edit pro guitar note function is a couple levels deep into that.

And I kept wishing the right-click button would call up the Fret number/Finger number dialogue  -- partly because I'm mostly working with the mouse, so having to go to the keyboard all the time is difficult. And THAT's partly because I had a guitar in my lap the whole while so I could verify the notes I was tabbing in, so my fretting hand was usually holding the guitar.

I'll see if I can make middle click (ie. clicking down on the scroll wheel) can bring up the edit pro guitar note dialog for selected or moused over notes. But that will only work if your mouse has a scroll wheel and Allegro can reliably detect it.

I would like to put measure+beat+tone (first one can be just base tone name) to some text file and it would be processed when RS XML is exported. It can be in song.ini for all I care, but timing by measure+beat would be as convenient as it gets.

I probably won't add support for an external text file just for this, but I may reconsider beat text, but it would have to be formatted pretty specifically (ie. "tone:[tone name here]").

Just noticed something. I just went through and marked all lyrics section in a song, but then remembered I didn't have leading silence yet. So after I added that the lyrics/markings didn't move with the chart and I have to redo all that again (not the end of the world, but a bit annoying). Any chance this will get fixed in the near future?

Adding leading silence will move all chart content, including lyric sections. If you mean you added leading silence and then made lyrics using audio that didn't have the leading silence, you may be better off re-syncing your lyrics in whatever external lyric authoring program you used.

Weird. I imported the lyrics from my RS1 file, tweaked it a bit and added the section markers. Then I added leading silence and I had to move the lyrics back pretty much exactly how much I added to the leading silence (8 beats). Most of the lyrics markers could still be used fortunately, it was missing like 5 of them throughout the song but it seemed like they did move. Just not the lyrics.

Yesterday I got an error never seen before with toolkit. When I had to save package to create dlc and when I tried to generate it...I got this error:"the file ....REAL PART GUITAR RS2showlight does not extist...." But...In arrangements I Imported correct xml REAL PART GUITAR RS2 Why that message??? Why add showlight to my xml? I don't understand... :(

Do you have the latest version of the toolkit? The last version generates the showlight file.

Ok with last version of toolkit works great!!! Thank you! :)

I probably won't add support for an external text file just for this, but I may reconsider beat text, but it would have to be formatted pretty specifically (ie. "tone:[tone name here]").

It can't be just that, you need to be able to declare section along with that.  I would implement it myself but I just don't know the code that well to start right away.

I'm not sure why you think that processing external file upon RS export would be harder, I would think otherwise based on the way it is stored in RS XML and that could be done with piece of code dependent only by identifying time of particular beat.  If you can point me to relevant functions to calculate beat time I might just do that myself.

I had a very strange 'event' today -- I accidentally hit Ctrl-F and it completely screwed up the display -- looked like the 3D preview panel took over. But I couldn't figure out how to back out of it. I had to exit in order to recover -- and lost a ton of work in the process.

Weird. I imported the lyrics from my RS1 file, tweaked it a bit and added the section markers. Then I added leading silence and I had to move the lyrics back pretty much exactly how much I added to the leading silence (8 beats). Most of the lyrics markers could still be used fortunately, it was missing like 5 of them throughout the song but it seemed like they did move. Just not the lyrics.

I just fixed a bug that causes this, it should work correctly in the next hotfix.

It can't be just that, you need to be able to declare section along with that. I would implement it myself but I just don't know the code that well to start right away.

Why not just declare the section with a section marker instead of beat text? The more elaborate a beat text system gets, ie. "tone:songname_distortion:section:intro:phrase:intro1", the harder it would be for people to use.

I'm not sure why you think that processing external file upon RS export would be harder, I would think otherwise based on the way it is stored in RS XML and that could be done with piece of code dependent only by identifying time of particular beat. If you can point me to relevant functions to calculate beat time I might just do that myself.

I don't see why this would be considered easier or faster than just defining the sections in EOF. As you said, an external text file defining sections would have to have timestamps in it, and then EOF would have to look for errors in the file and handle that gracefully, such as by fixing timestamps by finding the closest beat marker, etc. Doing something like this right would be a fair amount of programming work but I can't see what the benefit would be.

I had a very strange 'event' today -- I accidentally hit Ctrl-F and it completely screwed up the display -- looked like the 3D preview panel took over. But I couldn't figure out how to back out of it. I had to exit in order to recover -- and lost a ton of work in the process.

That keyboard shortcut changes to a full screen style 3D view. Doing the same will return to normal, or alternatively, right clicking on the screen gives that option. Exiting out would have still prompted you whether or not to save changes, so there's no reason you couldn't have done that.

I just fixed a bug that causes this, it should work correctly in the next hotfix.

Nice, thanks.

That keyboard shortcut changes to a full screen style 3D view. Doing the same will return to normal, or alternatively, right clicking on the screen gives that option. Exiting out would have still prompted you whether or not to save changes, so there's no reason you couldn't have done that.

First thing I tried was CTRL-F again, but it didn't work. I didn't think about right-clicking. When I exited, I chose not to save, in case whatever I'd done would be remembered... It wasn't a huge loss, it only took a couple of minutes to redo what I'd been working on.

One thing though: hitting CTRL-F also changed my display width setting (I have it set to fill the width of the screen, it defaulted back to the maximum resolution in the display list).

Is there a complete list of keyboard commands? I know there's a .txt file with some of them. Maybe you can add this to the Help section?

If you can find a way to reproduce CTRL+F not changing back or activating another function, let me know, I can't cause such problems to happen. There's not a list of ALL keyboard commands, but eventually when keyboard shortcuts become user-definable, they'll probably be listed in one place.

Hi, folks. The latest hotfix (r1302) is in the first post. Changes are as follows:

*Updated MIDI tones to take the track's capo placement into account.

*Added the ability to open the "Edit pro guitar note" dialog by clicking the middle mouse button (ie. scroll wheel). If no notes are selected, the dialog is opened for the currently moused-over note if any.

*Fixed a bug where operations that move all notes (ie. add leading silence, changing the midi delay or first beat position) would cause non pro guitar notes and lyrics to move twice as far as they should.

*Fixed a bug where notes with linknext status couldn't extend beyond the next note even when crazy status was in use.

*Fixed some problems with how linknext and crazy statuses interact with each other and with tech notes.

• Like 1

If you can find a way to reproduce CTRL+F not changing back or activating another function, let me know, I can't cause such problems to happen. There's not a list of ALL keyboard commands, but eventually when keyboard shortcuts become user-definable, they'll probably be listed in one place.

Okay, I'll try... but not in my current project! :eek:

Why not just declare the section with a section marker instead of beat text? The more elaborate a beat text system gets, ie."tone:songname_distortion:section:intro:phrase:intro1", the harder it would be for people to use.

Because there's already phrase name and you can put "section marker" only on measure boundary. 

I don't see why this would be considered easier or faster than just defining the sections in EOF. As you said, an external text file defining sections would have to have timestamps in it, and then EOF would have to look for errors in the file and handle that gracefully, such as by fixing timestamps by finding the closest beat marker, etc. Doing something like this right would be a fair amount of programming work but I can't see what the benefit would be.

Maybe you just don't understand what I mean. Forget it, I'll just make a script that applies it directly to RS XML, I can script that in an hour or less with measure+beat support.edit: I doubt anyone will want it but I made the script (I guess it's not going to work as expected with stock toolkit GUI anyway). I might add another optional field to add offset (positive or negative number) to beat time if it's going to switch tone too late. Switch by phrase or section name would be easy too.

@@raynebc,

I just need a confirmation about sustains on standard chords (without tech notes) :
  - the "chordNote" tag has a sustain defaulted to "0.000" except when the "sustain" checkbox is checked
  - if the "sustain" checkbox is not checked, the chord duration is based on its "handShape"
  - for the majority of chords without tech notes, the "sustain" checkbox doesn't need to be checked

So if I need to compute a sustain for the fundamental note of a chord, I need now to reuse the handShape length (as for RS1) ?

Thanks

Repost from SA:

There's probably not a better way to do it, but the handshape isn't always the length of a chord. As I understand it, all chords in close proximity to each other are meant to be in the same handshape so that the chord repeat lines are drawn. For this reason, it's not always a good indicator for a chord's length, that's not something that RS1 era charts notate. For RS2, it's probably OK to assume no chords have sustain unless the chordNote tags indicate they do.

Chrome is acting stupidly. It flags it as malicious even though it contains no viruses, for no reason other than it's not a file with a largely-known reputation. If you use a less paranoid web browser like Firefox, it should let you download it more easily. You can then scan it with an antivirus program that works properly.

Scan results from 50 different antivirus solutions:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/d7b8741568f5b0b0484edcd2906e29a23ac2673b0e8505987e03ac2ce628bbc4/analysis/1394236179/