Any word or rumblings on the next version of Rocksmith?

kring

Question

Curious if anyone heard anything on the next version of the game? I had heard way back that they were not planning on doing regular releases and gave the impression it could be years before we see the next game.  Anything new?

Curious what others would look for in the new game? I personally would love to see the following in a new version of the game

1. Introduce Keyboards - the more I learn about music, the more I find keyboards are spread throughout every song. and keyboards by default have a digital midi/USB connection and would easily be able to be incorporated into the existing game.
  2. I'd like them to actually have an entire section dedicated to learning music theory and doing real musical education. I think they nailed teaching you the mechanics/technicals... but fall really short on any music education... In order to really learn guitar at some point you have to start learning the theory and the names of the notes. without this you can never really expand beyond playing the game by yourself in the basement, the musical world all speaks in terms of Key's, Notes, progressions, etc.. and Rocksmith isn't friendly to that speak.
  3. With the above, you should be able to switch to having the ability to play with notes instead of finger positions, e.g. G, D, G, C similar to chords, but show me the actual note name coming down the highway
  4. Riff Repeater needs to be improved, It  should let you set the loop points A & B and they should be settable note to note and not sections, it should be easier to pause & continue, and slow down and speed up. I still think it's 10 fold better than original, but it has a lot of room for improvement. and they absolutely still have the keys backwards on the keyboard. left goes right, right goes left... makes no sense how they arranged the keys when doing riff repeater.
  5. Lastly, I think a huge addition would be to incorporate music composition and creation and build out some songs myself, or have a suite of tools to easily make tabs in the game by maybe laying a drum track, playing some chords (which it can recognize) and then going back through and adding a solo, or additional fill tracks and stuff.. it should be able to do it all by simply recording what I play and turning that into a new CDLC, it would need some way to edit or fix notes.  

Just some thoughts - would really love to see them take it to the next level.

• Like 3

Good thread, but really no answers on a new game.  This game was released October, 2013!!  That is almost 2 years ago.  I have to assume when they (IF they ever) announce a new game it will not come out for 6-12 months after the announcement.  Assume they announce soon that means the earliest we will see another version is mid 2016 (or almost 3 years after the last game).  Outta sight, then you are outta mind.

• Administrator

They already said that this IP won't be like 1 game every year and the studio is actaully working on the next South Park.

At best we can expect a new game for the end of 2017.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

We must admit that guitarists are strange people, I remember talking to some real show guys years ago. WEIRD.

RS 2014 apparently sold up to 2,43 mio while

Just Dance 2014 sold over 6mio, 

So which music teaching game gets an new update every year since 2009

and I really have no idea what this music game is about, except it probably can be played with no guitar. :D

Luckily I hope we won't get a Rocksmith Disney Party :lol:

• Administrator

Dan already said we won't have a Rocksmith each year and Just Dance is not a teaching tool but more of a old arcade dance game revisited with the new technologie of the moment.

Comparing both seems weird since Just Dance never was marketed as a teaching tool.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

This was discussed in a thread awhile back on the official rocksmith forums. There will not be a new rocksmith until they make a significant breakthrough with detection and what can be taught in the game. In other words... don't expect another rocksmith for a few more years.. until they can re-innovate the genre yet again. This came from Dan.

Silly post indeed.A new RS isn't going to make players to learn better or learn at all, actually ther's no bad teachers,but bad students,a lot of bad students. So stop deceiving yourself dudes you only want o play videogames online ,leave and let the really enthusiastics go for what they really want: to play guitar.

Although there are many things that are pretty annoying, I have to agree with what hellohello said. The main feature o the program which is note detection and playing along to all kinds of songs, is very solid, I don't think a new Rocksmith would improve anything when it comes to the main features of this kind of program. Speaking for myself, I will try to appreciate what the programers already accomplished instead of bragging about minor bugs..

@firekorn: Gonna try that, thanks for the hint. Would be an easy solution of a very annoying issue.. but since I am not the only person that experiences this bug one has to ask why these kinds of bugs that seem to be extremely easy to fix are not sorted out already.. they care so much about weakly dlc but do not add anything new to the game.. seems like they want to come up with something better for the next edition of Rocksmith instead of improving the currenct edition..

• Administrator

@@Weezer : This "bug" could also come from the dll use for CDLC which is not for ubisoft to fix and it's also because people actually bypass the function to resume the song inside the RR that the bug appear.

I'm not sure how many bug do you encounter but i can assure you that on a clean version without the dll for CDLC, the game is quite bug free for what i've seen so i'm not sure what you would want them to correct.

At one point improving on a base can be way more difficult than reworking on a new base from a devellopement point of view which can be why they are waiting to come up with a better version instead of trying to add stuff that could break what's already working very well.

Of course there's also the money point of view. They are still a company that need to gain money and song DLC is probably the most efficient way for them to do so.

We need to keep in mind that as CDLC user we are facing "bug" that aren't due to Ubisoft but the modification we made.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

With Rock Band dropping their guitar support, there's no real competition(Bandfuse maybe) for this type of game. And to be honest, I'm okay with this version being here awhile. Everything is clear, easy to see. I just wish the "band" experience was more prevalent. Like actually seeing your fake singer or looking back to keep time with your fake drummer. Not just shredding to the crowd...or even giving us that crowd in score attack.

Once a new engine comes out(give or take a couple of years) they'll release a new Rocksmith. But no need to make one right now

Many nice scores on all songs :)

I dont think there's much wrong with the current game - and I am NOT paying for my customs again (because 'insert crappy developer excuse here' blah blah compatibility etc)..

Maybe a few fixes and improvements to the Riff Repeater and easier selection of parts of songs - within the game - to RiffRepeat. Surely much better than the fixed sections we have at present.

A small upgrade pack (for a small charge) with some updates, community feedback suggested improvements and fixes - maybe a few free songs - would keep most people happy, I'd say.. For now..  :)

Well after seeing that for some reason the topic is still alive, I want to mention what I said since the topic was made. It seems very improbable for us to see an new RS any time soon,or to be more realistic, a new RS ever again.

Myself have a love/hate feeling for it since it's release but after all this time I have respect for it.

With all this amazing community and a lot of cdlc interesting enough for everybody and for all kinds of tastes, i think that hardly someone would put it away without even try. And add to that the tools which you can create your own customs or tools to remove unecessary garbage like the RS roadie that came like a bless in a dark stormy night.

Furthermore I find the program still young and still as useful like when was released.

Me like everybody would like to dream ( a most apropriate word for the situation) a new RS with all the significant missing stuff from the first like a replay, a career like mode (I really miss that crap), a crowd, and significant aditions like a metronome, not much to ask taking in consideration of the program limits.

Just in case, but what it seems very unlikely (the release of a new game or maybe another competence version like the failed Bandfuse), I have to mention that I don't aprove at all the slightliest introduction to music theory, that's nerd daunting stuff completely unnecessary for new enthusiastics that probably discourage more than helping out. Like being constant at playing an instrument wasn't hard enough to achieve already... :rolleyes:

Returning to the main point,the reason why I don't see a new RS are:

RS isn't one of the most important titles in Ubisoft repertory,yeah we like it but doen't necessary mean that most people do just because the ammount of guitar/bass are limmited somehow.

And even with Ubisoft most important titles is in some issues : Assassins Creed Unity was terrible according to everybody and Watchdogs wasn't a jewel either so right now Ubi seem to have a hard time satsfiying their main needs,even they put high stakes at The Division but after what happend with the other two, oh well.

Did somebody have call you stupid slacker or something even knowing that you practice bass/guitar only on RS? First you are not alone, second that words will have a new perfectly fit meaning. Doesn't ring a bell? Guitar Hero Live!!!! :D LOL.  The perfect stupid slacker would want to spend most of their hours playing a crappy stupid toy than even bothering to know how it feels to hold a real guitar in their hands, and worst of all most people aim for the first choice.

There's a gaming industry crash going on all related to all the console area. And RS was born to be a seller for consoles,ironically their best version was the mighty race however console gaming supplies are threatned by the most horrible pathetic and vile suplement ever existed: the mobile market. :(

So I'm sorry to ruin your dreams of the perfect complementary guitar learning tool, a mighty virtual reality Santa Claus that would teach you the whole stuff in a single night: How to be one of the greatest guitar/bass players of the world right away , just by getting the third release of RS. Whooray!, but that would definitively, is not going to happen, not next year not in other two or three. :unsure:Sorry.

@@hellohello you just crushed my silly dreams [emoji38] of a new RS 20XX with new features, online multiplayer, RS14 DLC import etc.

Well anyways, i kinda don't get it what Guitar Hero Live or was it Rock Band Live is all about.

Guitar Hero Series is kinda flashy and stuff, but why would anyone buy this instead of buying Rocksmith ?

I would understand if someone doesn't know about RS or plays both. I saw some Dude on youtube playing RS14, Guitar Hero Series and Rock Band... Well there was one weird Guitar Hero Arcade Style Machine, where you hit some weird flashy Buttons to get the Notes right....

Well that was a Hardcore dude, so i won't ask why.

I know there was a hype about Guitar Hero and stuff, but why would anyone choose to play on that plastic mini Guitar-ish Toy? That's just silly.

Because there is no connection to a real guitar in which you could practice and then "hopefully" translate to a real guitar.

I played once Guitar Hero 2 i think... Or maybe it was 3, anyways a friend of mine had the game at that time and 2 Guitar-ish Controller. So i thought i try it out once....

Yeah once was enough for me to laugh my ass of because the controller was so small.

It was fun sure, not the game tho.

At that time i didn't even hear anything about RS or even touched a real guitar and wasn't really interested in it. But now since i play RS14 and see that the Live Game will be released, i was asking myself all the time when i hear about the game... Why the heck would anyone buy that crap ? It's just that i'm curious why anyone would pla that in the first place [emoji53]

I don't get it but i want to know why. Sure no one would buy it if it wasn't fun to play. But who the hell came up with the idea to create something like that ? Why would you put so much effort in this when you had the chance or let's say they had probably the idea of making a game with a real guitar once probably...

I'm getting Headache just thinking about it.

I'll stop before i start hating and bugging you guys about that heavily [emoji28]

• Administrator

Rock Band or Guitar Hero are aiming to a complete different audience than RSs', it's like comparing Arma and COD or Flight simulator and War of THunder.

One is more of a simulation that can teach you a lot of the "real" stuff while the other is an acardish kinda game that is only here to give you some fun by doing something no matter what the reality is behind.

So yes one player, can play both because it's a complete different goal, GH or RB never said they will teach people how to play guitar or any instrument (RB3 tried a bit but sadly failed to it).

About Ubisoft IP, well some have issue like AC but other works pretty well like FC or Just Dance and they have multiple indie-like game (Child of Light or Soldats Inconnus) that seems to work well enough to keep doing those from time to time. I won't make any assumption looking at how complicated it might be to manage and take decision for Ubisoft and as long as the studio behind RS is still alive and well, i don't see the IP going under any time soon and making a new version is always a good strategy to help an IP regain value (and Ubisoft is known to abuse of their IP too).

I really doubt that we could already announce that there won't be any new RS game even thought it's quite certain that there won't be anything before 2017/2018 since South Park is already taken it's toll on UbiSF till mid 2016 at least.

And we can already be happy with the fact that we have 3 to 5 new song every single week which will certainly help to get a new RS game one day :)

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

@@firekorn well i can live with that.

What do you mean by 3-5 Songs a week ? Official DCL's ?

If i look into the CF database it's amazing how many cdlc's were put up every day. The Database is growing like crazy while i know maybe 1% of all Bands CDLC's. That's insane of how many Bands i didn't even heard of.

Even tho i currently listen to about 100 Bands more or less [emoji53] .

It's just mind blowing

• Administrator

Yes Ubi is releasing 3 to 5 official DLC every week which is quite a lot all things considered and seems to indicate that Ubi care about that IP at the moment.

The CF database won't give much information about how Ubisoft care about this IP.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

back to the original thread topic: "next version of Rocksmith?"

1. New fully supported instruments - keyboard, violin, cello, saxaphone - if you have a chord that can accurately detect the tone then lets support loads of instruments.  Imagine the CDLC content then!

2. Mini-games - add more and test end level content as some are unbeatable due to bugs (Dawn of the Chordead, Star Chords)

3. Multiplayer

4. Recording

The CDLC community here is huge, its too bad we can't figure out how to add all those items with a patch of your own.  I love the Violin project a user posted here, amazing.   Hopefully the future holds promise!

the more I use Rocksmith, the more I think going the game route was a bad idea. I think the next version should focus on being more of a professional training tool and less game. They should develop a CDLC studio where you can write your own songs or import tabs and compete with applications like Guitar Pro 6, Garage band, etc... but still keep it focused for now around "Rock" but expand to drum (digital) and keyboard to complete  a standard set of instruments.  I've found I only use Rocksmith as a way to learn a new song as it's 10x easier and faster than reading music and tabs (at least based on my stage of learning) but once I have the basics down for that song I need to take it offline and start practicing from memory and learning the transitions.

I wouldn't mind if this is the last version of Rocksmith as a game - and they move on, I'd be willing to pay a substantial amount more for a real learning tool, still crank out CDLC, still have a session like mode, bake in the above I mentioned and then expand the education to teach you about music theory, scales, patterns, alternate chords, etc...  it cost me thousands a year to send my daughter for lessons, I'd be willing to buy training/lesson modules or if they would integrate with say a site like JamPlay and do a subscription model they would end up making more than selling... e.g. $9.99/mo gets you 2 lessons, 3 CDLC per month... or you can buy, $29.99/mo gets you all-access.

• Like 1