I could try to move all customs here

poltergeist

Question

Hello,

good to be here. I wrote a crawler for the original smithy anvil RS14 packages that mike used to maintain his sticky before the new sortings were available. Now I could TRY to program a crawler that will read all first posts of the smithy anvil RS 2014 board and automatically post them here (with contributes of the original creator). I can not promise anything because I don't know if some settings might prevent reading or posting hundreds of topics, but I would look into it if this is desired.

Any official feedback on this?

18 answers to this question

I am fairly sure work to move the customs is already being worked on, Unleashed2k will be able to tell you better.

The work is being done and that is on the slate for today. 

\m/(><)\m/

'99 Fender Stratocaster / '12 Gibson SG (Nothing special but they are mine)

"If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you're fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn't eat him."

The only thing that I can do is automate what I in theory could do by hand. That means reading all topics in the SA board and post them here with a contributing link to the original author on the SA board. We later could manually update, transfer or delete topics as necessary or requested by the original author. It's not perfect but surely better than losing all work.

The customs are still not here so I can only renew my offer. Let me know if you need help with this.

Interesting - yesterday there were 2400 topics in the 2014 Submitted folder at SA.  Today there are 2398.  Not sure what disappeared...

Anyone that got banned .. their posts disappeared.

Wonder how you will assign the CDLC to the contributor. Some of the CDLC contributors from SA have not registered here yet. Some will maybe have a different username here then on SA. If you don't assign the CDLC to the contributor how will he be able to update his CDLC's then?

This is one of the many hurdles we are working on over coming at the moment. We will do everything in our power to make sure the proper credit gets where it goes though.

How will this work with the charters that are deleting their customs from sendspace?  I saw that PC_Plum was pulling all his customs.  I've pulled all my 2012 customs.

I like the idea though but there are problems with it.

Anyone that deletes their customs can't have them on here. They would have to be re-posted. With a move like this we (the community) are likely going to lose some of the work but that can't be avoided. As the developers, (charters), in my mind own their time and work, if they choose to share it with us that's great. If they don't, that's ok too. We still owe them our thanks for allowing us to see it at some point.

The only thing that I can do is automate what I in theory could do by hand. That means reading all topics in the SA board and post them here with a contributing link to the original author on the SA board. We later could manually update, transfer or delete topics as necessary or requested by the original author. It's not perfect but surely better than losing all work.

The customs are still not here so I can only renew my offer. Let me know if you need help with this.

We still appreciate the offer. The number of man hours already into this site is astounding. It's barely 48 hours old. The direction of how to sort and display the customs changed slightly which meant a little more programming time. Rest assured they will be here. Unleashed knows of your offer and if it turns out he and the team need another hand, you are at the top of the list to be contacted. I know it's rough to sit and wait when you could be doing it but I assure you that had you been the first one to speak up it would be you rather than the person that we currently have doing it.

\m/(><)\m/

"If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you're fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn't eat him."

As the developers, (charters), in my mind own their time and work, if they choose to share it with us that's great. If they don't, that's ok too. We still owe them our thanks for allowing us to see it at some point.

All of this pious respect to "ownership rights" is comical given the nature of what we're talking about here.

• Like 2

I have nothing but the greatest admiration for anyone who puts forth the effort to bring great music a little closer to the people who appreciate it. Everything I listen to and like, I have probably purchased multiple times, through albums, CD's, and iTunes. And I seriously doubt anyone is downloading CDLC to pirate the music onto their iPods or sell it to some schlub who could get it for free.

My point is, if someone's gone to the trouble to create CDLC, and they no longer have it linked on another site, I'd think they'd have enough pride in their efforts to get it posted here. The clock is ticking, and eventually UbiSoft will likely create DLC to match any popular CDLC that gets created. I'll probably end up buying the songs I like yet another way, through yet another medium!

If all the tabs from Ultimate-Guitar were taken down, and a replacement tab site sprang up, I think we would all find it kind of silly if the new site took a stance that only the original tabber could upload the tab to the new site.  We would all just assume that someone would take care of a mass import to the new site.

I don't really care...I actually don't play customs that often (hard enough to keep up with the official DLC)...I just find this whole walking on eggshells thing around the precious creative talents of our original charters a little odd.  I'm not saying it's not hard work and that I don't appreciate their efforts, because it is and I do.  But come on.  The content is out there.  Why not just get it into this site so it can be better organized?

I think that if the original poster doesn't upload his/her work, someone else could build a new version and share it. Finders keepers.

At no point did we ever say that you can't create your own versions of work that is out there and not on this site. You are more than welcome to do so. We encourage you to do so. Not all charters are still out there and so there is no reason for those songs to never be created again. We just said that we don't intend to link to someone's work who hasn't given us permission to do so. (Notice I said "work" .. by "work" I mean their work charting said song. This is in no way intended to take away the creativity from the original artists)

\m/(><)\m/