bold for new listings

dpslikeits1999

Question

Something I liked about the previous CDLC search page was that it would highlight in bold all the new postings since I last visited the page.  Now, that feature seems to be absent in ignition.  This feature was especially nice for when I was gone for a few days and knew when to stop perusing the listings when the bold stopped.  Now, I'll have to have some idea when I was last visiting the search page.

• Like 11

22 answers to this question

I second this request - this feature on the old page makes it easy to see what's new.

Edit: seems like this may be implemented, I went back to the page and saw some bold listings.

Hmmm... The new listing still are not showing up in bold for me.  Perhaps it's a Firefox issue, my preferred browser. 

Nope, checked on Explorer, no bold there either.   Are you using Chrome?

I second this request - this feature on the old page makes it easy to see what's new.

Edit: seems like this may be implemented, I went back to the page and saw some bold listings.

Hmmm... The new listing still are not showing up in bold for me.  Perhaps it's a Firefox issue, my preferred browser. 

Yes I'm using chrome.  Try using the green refresh button on the page next to the search box instead of refreshing via the browser.  Though, it seems that to clear the bold entries I have to refresh via the browser.

Yes I'm using chrome.  Try using the green refresh button on the page next to the search box instead of refreshing via the browser.  Though, it seems that to clear the bold entries I have to refresh via the browser.

Yes, that worked with Firefox.  The new listings are in bold with the page refresher rather than the browser refresher.  In the old version, I would use the browser refresher to get the new listings in bold and use the browser refresher again to convert to nonbold.  With Ignition, the browser refresher loads new listing but not in bold, just as you said. 

Ok, this is a bit annoying.  In order to get the new listings in bold, I use the Ignition's webpage refresher (next to search button) as stated above.  The new listings are in bold but they are no longer at the top.  The order of the listings is reset to the default (same order when I connect via the Ignition link on the old version of the search page).  Audioslave is first followed by Mr. Big, can't make sense of the order.  I have to hit the updated tab twice, first to get it sorted by updated (oldest at the top) and second to get the most recent at the top.  The reordering occurs even if I refresh after I've ordered the listing by most recently updated.

Then, as if to mock me, I can use the browser refresher (instead of the Ignition page refresher) and get an updated listing in the correct order, only with no bold.  In one case, I get the bold just out of order.  In the other, I get the correct order just no bold.

In order to get the bold at the top updated listings, a single button click is replaced by three with a mouse translation in between.  This is a step backwards.  I hate to complain about something so trivial, especially in an otherwise great product.  But unfortunately I know I'm going to be going through the process of refreshing and reordering just to get those bolds at the top.   I'll be the annoying guy talking about how great the old version was, shaking my head, and scoffing at progress.  I don't want to be that guy.  

I also use Chrome and if the new entries are in bold I can't see it.  

Just to clear this up: bold listings are still a feature. It won't work the first time you visit Ignition, because it can't determine your last visit. Come back after 24 hours and new and updated songs will be bold again. 

This is completely independent from the column you chose to order the list, though. Just check your Search Settings (cogwheel button) and choose

Sort By: Updated

Sort Order: Descending

to get the same default list as in the old version. After that, no extra clicks are necessary. 

Allow me to explain why I think that's not necessary, though. I assume you're interested in getting the most up-to-date versions for the songs you already downloaded and that's why you want to order by "Updated" as a default. In this scenario you would still have to scroll through the list of bold songs in order to find the ones that you already downloaded that have an update. 

Well, there's a much easier way to get updates to the songs you downloaded (if you added them to your Collection). Whenever there's an update to a song in your Collection you will get an e-mail telling you so (if you enabled it in your notification settings) and you'll get a notification on customsforge.com. This will be indicated in Ignition too, by the little red square in your avatar picture. Any time you click here it'll show you the updates you have unread notifications for. So, if you haven't visited in a week  you can display just the songs you have updates for and download those. Does that make sense? 

• Like 1

Small stakes leave you with the minimal blues

Just to clear this up: bold listings are still a feature. It won't work the first time you visit Ignition, because it can't determine your last visit. Come back after 24 hours and new and updated songs will be bold again. 

This is completely independent from the column you chose to order the list, though. Just check your Search Settings (cogwheel button) and choose

to get the same default list as in the old version. After that, no extra clicks are necessary. 

Allow me to explain why I think that's not necessary, though. I assume you're interested in getting the most up-to-date versions for the songs you already downloaded and that's why you want to order by "Updated" as a default. In this scenario you would still have to scroll through the list of bold songs in order to find the ones that you already downloaded that have an update. 

Well, there's a much easier way to get updates to the songs you downloaded (if you added them to your Collection). Whenever there's an update to a song in your Collection you will get an e-mail telling you so (if you enabled it in your notification settings) and you'll get a notification on customsforge.com. This will be indicated in Ignition too, by the little red square in your avatar picture. Any time you click here it'll show you the updates you have unread notifications for. So, if you haven't visited in a week  you can display just the songs you have updates for and download those. Does that make sense? 

New listings aren't showing up in bold when using Safari 8.0.2 (latest version) on Mac.  Either that, or they are always bold.  It's hard to tell exactly since it never changes.  I've been using the new system since it was made live, so it's not the first time I've visited.  I even scrolled through all 103 pages to make sure Ignition new I had viewed all of the listings.

As a suggestion, would it be possible to use highlighting instead of bold text?  What I mean is, my preferred artists are highlighted in blue, and all official songs are highlighted in red/maroon.  Could new listings/updates be highlighted in their own colour (green for example)?

Also (and this is off topic for the thread), but since you mentioned it, is there a bug with the notification system?  I've disabled email notifications for almost everything but I keep getting emails any time somebody comments on the record page for a custom that I've added to my collection (and therefor are following).

Also (and this is off topic for the thread), but since you mentioned it, is there a bug with the notification system?  I've disabled email notifications for almost everything but I keep getting emails any time somebody comments on the record page for a custom that I've added to my collection (and therefor are following).

Same problem here. I'm getting notifications when a comment is added to the thread, rather than when the record is updated.

All my customs can be found here :)

Great.  Works as you said.  However, I prefer to see the latest updates not for just the updates on the songs that I've already downloaded but also to see the new/latest listings.   Not that this is particularly important detail but it might help the creators of Ignition with the user's thoughts.  Thanks.

It is like a week ago i started using Ignition but i still got no Bold for new CDLC why is that ? and this on differents computer (work and home)

I did clear my cache browser

Take a look at my Workshop. You'll find which song I plan to create someday.

Please leave constructive feedback, it helps me creating better customs !

Please don't thanks with comment but with the button !

I'm also getting the same issue. I'm not sure if the things are bolded or not. I like the idea of a different highlight color though. But of course I'll give it time for everything to be ironed out, so to speak.

edit: nevermind, I'm not sure if it's cause I hit the refresh button thingy but I can see the bold now. Very noticable and pretty much couldn't be missed this time.

Ok refreshing with CTRL+F5 is actually too much.

I tried like you did @@allstarsniper32 just refreshing with the browser button and later (2 hours after) i came back to it and Bold appeared

Take a look at my Workshop. You'll find which song I plan to create someday.

Please leave constructive feedback, it helps me creating better customs !

Please don't thanks with comment but with the button !

Just wanted to say that "bold" finally started showing for me when I bring up Ignition.  I use Chrome and for a while I could not figure out what I had previously viewed or not.  Now when I bring up Ignition new listings since my last search are clearly shown in bold.  This feature is extremely helpful.  Now if we could see in advance of downloading how many difficulty levels are in a song.

So, I get the songs to appear in the order I want (most recently updated/uploaded first) with new entries in bold.  However, the bold is not removed from all of the old entries.  For example, before I refresh (using the webpages refresh, not the browsers), there might be 10 songs in bold since I last refreshed the page earlier in the day (the page was left open since my last refreshing).  I hit refresh to get the new listings.  They appear in bold but not all the previous 10 listings are de-bolded.  Sure, some of them might have been updated since their original posting as is often the case when typos or minor errors are brought to the posters attention.  These should appear in bold.  But there's no way that many are being updated. 

Just to check, I'll refresh again just a few seconds after the first refresh.  In the old search page, all the bold would be gone except for the lone updated one that just happened to get updated between my two refreshes spaced 10 sec apart.  Now, when I hit refresh 10 sec later, all 10 of the bold listings are still in bold and still in the exact same order.  For that to happen, all 10 listings would have to been updated/reposted in those 10 sec and in the exact same order as before.  As this is unlikely, it seems that what ever mechanism that is used to determine what are 'old' postings and should not be in bold isn't working properly. 

Yet, sometimes the bold is removed from some of the older postings.  I generally keep the search page open continuously for days at a time.  Currently, I have 21 bold listings.  If I hit refresh, I still have 21 bold listings.  I'm sure there have been more than 21 new updates in the last couple of days.  So some of the bolded listings are being debolded.  It's not obvious to me how it's decided where to cut off the bold/unbolded line.  (Only the more recent postings are in bold.  I haven't seen bold listings occurring after a plain txt listing.)

If I close the Ignition search page and return, I go from the 21 bold listings to 17 bold listings without any actually being new (they're all appearing in the exact same order as before).  Something is clearly not working in deciding what to bold and what not to bold.

I'm using Firefox.

Also, the bold isn't all that distinguishable from the not bold.  That kind of defeats the whole purpose of having bold in the first place. 

I'm having an intermittent problem here as well. I'm using Chrome. The bold/non-bold only seems to work occasionally. Right now, everything from April 1st forward is appearing bold even though I've been to the site many times since. I have closed and refreshed to no avail. 

Chrome here - it does seem sporadic.  Last night I perused, it was working, logged in today, it was actually still at the same point in time which defined old/new.  It does appear to be an issue with passing the information to the site that "I've read this far" from Chrome, anyway.

On a related note, any possibility for the boldness to be more obvious?  On the old page you could not possibly mistake bold/not bold, no matter what the context or location.  I understand you're working with fonts and colours that behave certain ways and you can't override that - but I guess I'm asking if there could be another theme which displayed this better.  I'm personally not a fan of the blue context and that font myself, but really this is just about readability.

Thanks

DT

It's been over a year since the issue of new listings not being highlighted in bold came up.  Currently, the 100 some latest listings are bold no matter how often I refresh or open/close the page.  Is this issue considered fixed now that Ignition is the official search mechanism?  Is anyone else still having issues with bold highlights for new listings?