Question: CDLC for transposed Official DLC?

ice9

Before anyone goes nuts about official DLC not being in the DB (i'm not talking about repeating DLC), read my thought:

My wife was kind enough to get me a 5-string bass for the holidays, and there are several official DLC that I would love to see transposed for 5-string support (tuning it as BEAD, ignoring the G string) - Hanger 18 comes to mind, possible doing a A329 tuning?  Not even sure that will work. Thoughts?

Would it be useful/acceptable to post ONLY the transposed song.eof or song.xml or even the whole CDLC (with synced beat track to a specific version and offset of the song), just with a silent sound track - no music, and leave it up to the downloader to replace the sound file with one they own?

In this incarnation, it wouldn't be any different than a TAB file, no?  Esp if I didn't use the offical DLC's song.xml file as a starting point, but a tab/gp5 file?

Just thinking out loud.

• Administrator

Short answer. No.

To not invoke the wrath of ubisoft we do not allow any for of an official dlc. 

The only exception is a cover by a different band.

Community Admin | Send me a message if you are having trouble with something | Teinashu's Hall of Glory
Steam -

ok - wasn't sure if it was a music thing, or a song choice thing.... I could say it's a cover by John Cage :)  

(that only makes sense if you are familiar with Cage's song: 4'33")

Oh well - I guess I might just do the bass part for myself and not distribute it :(

Here's hoping for Ubisoft supporting 5-string basses in the future.

• 1 month later...

ok - wasn't sure if it was a music thing, or a song choice thing.... I could say it's a cover by John Cage :)

(that only makes sense if you are familiar with Cage's song: 4'33")

Oh well - I guess I might just do the bass part for myself and not distribute it :(

Here's hoping for Ubisoft supporting 5-string basses in the future.

I've done some work recently with converting customs that are in down tunings into B Standard so I can play them on my 5 string without having to retune my 4 to stuff like D Drop C, etc.  A lot of bass arrangements work fine to play in B Standard instead of stuff like Eb Drop Db, Drop C, D Standard, etc. because they focus on playing root notes on that low string, and have little if any notes actually up on the G.

So basically, if you have the psarc, it is quite easy to load it up in the toolkit, unpack (decode audio and sng to xml both checked), then open the audio file for the song (not the preview) in EOF (might have to convert it to MP3 first?  I forget.  You can use the wem files when you pack it back up again, so don't trash them) and then import the bass arrangement.  in EOF, change the tuning to BEAD instead of whatever it was, and it will ask if you want to auto transcribe.  You do -- let it adjust the notes to match pitch.  From there, you can tweak if you think it would make more sense to move notes from high frets on B down to a more sensible location on E, etc.  But depending on the song, that might be completely unnecessary.  Save.

At that point, you can import the song from the original psarc again in the toolkit (probably choose a different directory than where you unpacked to just in case it overwrites stuff).  Delete or edit the bass arrangement, and replace it with the xml from where you unpacked and retuned.  Or, you can add it as a bonus bass arrangement and leave the original intact -- but keep in mind that you can't play bonus arrangements in Score Attack.

Generate the psarc, and then go back to the packer tab and "Fix Low Bass Tuning" so that the game will let you tune the B.  Or, if you followed some of the steps in the manual low tuning fix, you might not have to do that...  But it is easier to just keep everything as B Standard A440 and then let the toolkit do it automagically.  Probably a good idea to keep both files just in case, and test to make sure that you can tune in game.

About a song that isn't in A440, I think it should work pretty much the same way.  BUT, you might have to do the bass fix manually -- not sure.  If it was A444, you'd want to set it to A222, I believe.  Not sure if the automatic tuning fix is clever about that.

...I'm not an admin or affiliated with the CustomsForge brass in any way, but for my 2 cents, following those steps and getting yourself an edited custom (or official DLC song that you own) for your own use should be fine.  I've done it myself with several customs already, but haven't tried with any official DLC songs.  Should work the same though.

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

Just tested it out on an official DLC song.  Works fine.

I figured that this is useful enough that I should make a new post with a more thorough guide.  Information above in my previous post is mostly correct, but this is more complete:   http://customsforge.com/topic/16665-guide-to-converting-down-tuned-songs-into-b-standard-for-a-5-string-bass/

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

yeah, I have no problem doing it myself... I was just hoping to share my work with others :)

I've already done Hanger 18 for myself (SO much easier to play on a 5 string).... I read up a bit on why he didn't just Drop D it, and it turn out Ellefson DID drop D in the studio for the 1st half, then E Standard for the 2nd half (that riff is much easier in standard).  But on tour that obviously isn't possible to switch in the middle of the song, so he switched to 5 string arraignment.