Band Fuse?

Drift

Anyone else get suckered into that bad boy?  Or better yet anyone like it?

My girl got it for me for xmas.  I played it for 20 minutes and haven't touched it since.  They force you to play Jesse's girl for bass right off the bat.  I was like sweet I shall crush this knowing i have a 99% on RS.... bah ha ha was I wrong.

The way the colors change on the notes just crushed my brain.  So you can have 2 "3"s right next to each other and they can be a completely different color based on which finger you are supposed to using to fret it.  Just makes a mish mash of skittles in my head anytime there are multiple position moves

Thanks for the info. Haven't bought it yet.

The only thing that interests me about BandFuse is somehow getting the charting from the Incubus songs and some others to make for here. What kind of files are the songs?

Always check and use -> The latest Toolkit builds

To disable dynamic difficulty and not get the 100% accuracy bug don't use the override to max option, but instead disable DD and set sight reading level to Max. With this configuration the 100% bug does not surface.

I like Bandfuse a lot, I consider it an excellent complement to Rocksmith.  The only reason it isn't a complete replacement is because there is no known way to hack customs into it.  The songs use instrument stems so you can be certain they use a strong encryption.  Sure, people could break it, but the people that can do it don't want to get sued (threat of legal action was why the latest RB3 songs' encryption was not publicly broken).

I think Rockband helped prepare me for what Rocksmith did with the notes coming down vertically.  I've seen some of the bandfuse videos and it just seems more difficult mentally registering the notes coming horizontally.  Even though I've learned to read music and tab horizontally.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, bad news. 

It seems that Bandfuse...or Realta(?) is done. It sounds like the company or its assets will be up for sale or something, but the point is I believe this means no more support for now...which means no dlc, patches, etc. 

I recently ordered it for $29 from Gamestop....I suspect the price drop was for this very reason. I haven't gotten it yet, but I think having another music game/tool for real guitar isn't a bad thing, maybe it can help me get even better.

If not...it's only $29.

Never bought it although I have thought about it.  I really hope that its demise will not further discourage bands from getting involved or releasing their songs to "games"/learning programs, but I fear that it will.  They had some pretty heavy duty players in their stable but it seems that was not enough to overcome the poor interface and playing features.

Well t wasn't available on PC so I didn't really miss anything I guess.  What were the central differences between that and Rocksmith? I can't imagine the tools could be much better than what we have on Rocksmith.

It's too bad, but they at least hint that more DLC can come out so it doesn't sound like the entire staff are being laid off or anything. I hope it can recover because it had the capability of giving Rocksmith a run for its money.

Don't think so otherwise there would be no staff cut.

I will tell you what's wrong and you will accept this information.

It's too bad, but they at least hint that more DLC can come out so it doesn't sound like the entire staff are being laid off or anything. I hope it can recover because it had the capability of giving Rocksmith a run for its money.

Hmm, suspending operations sounds *exactly* like the entire staff was laid off to me.

Never considered buying it but a lot of people hyped it on SA. Maybe they blew all their money on paying Slash to market it. Rocksmith's marketing is piss poor by any standards but I guess theirs was even worse. If Rocksmith had some solid marketing strategy, they could attract soo many new player to guitar it's not even funny.

Hmm, suspending operations sounds *exactly* like the entire staff was laid off to me.

First party information so far has implied that they are still working toward getting this cleared up and more DLC out. Only one person has acknowledged he is no longer employeed, making it sound more like the other staff are on furlough instead of actually being laid off. But time will tell.

• Administrator

Never considered buying it but a lot of people hyped it on SA. Maybe they blew all their money on paying Slash to market it. Rocksmith's marketing is piss poor by any standards but I guess theirs was even worse. If Rocksmith had some solid marketing strategy, they could attract soo many new player to guitar it's not even funny.

>piss poor

Yeah, maybe you don't watch TV or look at YouTube?

I got a chance to play BandFuse and 2014 back to back and gave them both a serious try.  (I still don't have 2014, I'm more happy with 2012, YMMV). I played it enough to get get 5 stars on a song, 100 note streak, 100% a song on medium, and tried to be open minded about it.

My problem with BandFuse as compared to Rocksmith is that it emphasizes the picking hand instead of the fretting hand.  Their notation is about the timing of things like bends, and the right strings to hit.  The notation for the fret hand is possibly OK for people really into Tab, but I found it impossible to play something that I did not already know or understand. After a little while for example, a 1/3 notation on the top string is clearly a power chord, but when I was playing a new song, and I'd get a 2/4 on the A string, it would blow my mind. 

With Rocksmith by contrast, I can know practically nothing about the song, and still be able to get my fret hand in position, because it's showing me exactly where to be.  This is why I say Rocksmith emphasizes the fret hand, and I think that's the right emphasis.  At least for me, I have waaay more trouble with where I am on the neck, and what string, than I do with picking.

So for me at least, I found BandFuse to be a nice novelty, but way to close to being a Rockband 4 with their awful notation.  I even have that stupid plastic Mustang guitar, and could never get their notation, even after studying a song.

Now for 2014 vs. 2012, for anyone who might be curious: I like 2012 better because it's more 'fun'.  The emphasis is different.  2014 is a more serious tool, and more polished and definitely better at actually learning a song.  But I'm a dilettante, and don't actually care about all that, I just want to play music and have fun and learn as I have fun.  2012 meets that goal better for me, because I really enjoy playing to that stupid animated crowd. Dunno why.

• Like 4

bo3bber I never thought of it that way with 2012.  The crowd members always freaked me out and I always visioned the girls and guys being idiots lol.  To me I get much more out of 2014, since it is easier for me to play what I want when I want.With bandfuse, I was interested in it. But when it slapped things on like "Rock Legends", I just felt it was too gimmicky.  I wanted something fun but also serious.  I heard they had good things in learning licks and such, I would like that as licks are my weakest part.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the tuning system in bandfuse.  Also, the music videos playing while you play along was really cool but I didn't like the points scoring system.  I was excited about Zakk Wylde and Alexi Laiho but none of it was really lessons just more of the same stuff you see in interviews all over YouTube and the fan sites.

It also had to much noticeable delay between the guitar and the sounds coming out of the Xbox even with the Component cable setup.

The lessons kinda made me feel stupid.  "This is called a 'string'." "This is called a 'pick'." 

It did, however, had some heavier tunes from bands like FFDP and Children of Bodom.  Rocksmith seems to be missing that kinda stuff.  Not counting CDLC of course.  But, I'm a sucker for Overlord by Black Label Society and probably played it 10 or 15 times before putting the game neatly back into the box.

>piss poor

Yeah, maybe you don't watch TV or look at YouTube?

Sorry bro, I didn't realise you did their marketing. Congrats on the job though.

They sold 1.4M copies of 2012, and about 1M copies of 2014.  They also said they were disappointed in the sales, which I find rather surprising.  "Rhythm" games were supposed to be all but dead.  I don't think you can reasonably expect to sell 10M copies of Rocksmith when worldwide guitar sales are on the order of 1.5M/year.

Plus as I noted earlier, 2014 is more of a teaching tool, and it's good at it. Only problem is I just wanna have fun, not take lessons, so I didn't buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

b03bber - I like your description of RS focusing on the fret hand vs. BS focusing on the pick hand.  Never thought of it quite like that.  I had hopes for both, initially, but the RS interface was so much more intuitive for me.  Probably due to all the RB I played.

BTW, two major reasons for upgrading to RS2014 (if you don't want/need all the lessons or session mode) are the ability to set the difficulty level of the song wherever you want it from the beginning, and all the amazing new cdlc that this site is cranking out.  I hated having to level up a song in RS2012 or forcing a guest to do so when they came over to play.  No crowd to play to, but it's straight to the music - no waiting to level up a song.  That alone was worth the money.