Rocksmith Violin Project

Daikano

• Administrator

1) RS doesn't allow tuning over + or - 12 so that's probably the biggest issue for using guitar to display a full piano part. But we probably could be inspired by the shifting logic used in RB3 for keyboard in some way i guess (use more than only 12 fret)

2) The problem with shifting the A frequency is that it shift EVERYTHING on the tuning, the step here are too big to use that trick.

3) easy with a simple xml modification before making the custom

4) nop and that's probably the second big issue... One thing you could try is to aim for a tuning with pair of strings on the same note but that would limit how many octave you can reach and would only allow for 2 note at the same time on an octave.

5) the cable is able to detect from B0 to E6 without issue for all i know so it seems like a decent enough range.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I haven't spent much time charting in the last 6 months.  I did finish Bach's cello concerto - Prelude and published it for Bass and guitar, but the primary bass part was actually made for cello.  It works perfectly by pitching up the chart to 882.5.

I'm working on Lindsey Stirling's Hallelujah for my wife, and should finish that within a week or so. 

As for the idea of piano on RS...  I'm not sure its worth the effort.  There are other programs already out there for learning piano, that use a piano roll mechanism much like what you'd see in MIDI editors.  They just put the piano at the bottom and the roll comes down from the top of the screen just like Rocksmith.  I'm pretty sure that's where Ubisoft got the idea to make RS in the first place.  I've been using an interface similar to the one pictured below for MIDI editing since the late 90s.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/5ab5/2aw1as4z6opwzs9zg.jpg

• Like 1

Sometimes I use big words that I don't completely understand, just to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

Actually I just did a quick google search and found this video promo, which depicts exactly what I was trying to convey in text.
I'm not saying that exploration of the possibilities with the Rocksmith engine isn't worth-while.  I just don't think it is designed for an instrument like piano, like this one is.

• Like 1

Sometimes I use big words that I don't completely understand, just to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

• Administrator

It's true that synthesia does that in a proper way  that might way more efficient than RS.

About Cello's part i wonder if anyone did a proper custom of the band Apocalyptica as they heavily rely on cello in many of their song.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

1) RS doesn't allow tuning over + or - 12 so that's probably the biggest issue for using guitar to display a full piano part. But we probably could be inspired by the shifting logic used in RB3 for keyboard in some way i guess (use more than only 12 fret)

2) The problem with shifting the A frequency is that it shift EVERYTHING on the tuning, the step here are too big to use that trick.

3) easy with a simple xml modification before making the custom

4) nop and that's probably the second big issue... One thing you could try is to aim for a tuning with pair of strings on the same note but that would limit how many octave you can reach and would only allow for 2 note at the same time on an octave.

5) the cable is able to detect from B0 to E6 without issue for all i know so it seems like a decent enough range.

Well if we cannot go beyond 12 semi-tones for tuning, then maybe a combination of yours and RockZot's ideas would be combined for some degree of success: Multiplayer +  mutiple strings used for 1 octave. I guess you're point 4 is similar to what I am about to say. If we want 6 octaves then it is 2 strings per octave (since we're assuming 12 strings total due to multiplayer). That means if RS cannot accomodate  multiple simultaneous notes on one string then since a chord is a triad of notes we'd need 3 octaves per string. So Player 1 (bass clef)  gets 2 octaves, Octaves 2 and 3 and Player 2 gets octaves 4 and 5.

Then when a chord comes along such as C4-E4-G4 (C Major) it will span the red-yellow-blue strings with the C4 being on the red string, E4 being on the yellow string and the G4 being on the blue string, all neatly  placed in a nice Rocksmith chord box to hammer home visiually the the notes are simultaneous.

Perhaps, 

Player 1 can play with a multiple/fraction of the 440Hz frequency to get the tuning within +/- 12.

Low E string --> -28 -3 = -31 --> Change frequency to reduce the magnitude of this number

A string        --> -20 -3 = -23 --> Ditto

D string        --> -14 -3 = -17 --> Ditto

Player 2 can play with A440 since those tunings are within  +/-12 semi tones

G string        --> -7 -3 = -10

B string        --> +1 -3 = -2

High e string --> -8 -3 = -+5

I'm still curious if I mod an XML manually if the Toolkit and the game will allow simultaneous mutliple notes on a string..... probably not.

I guess I'm curious how you confirmed that the Real Tone Cable goes from B0 to E6 :)

Perhaps I'll test in out in the the coming months if nobody has done it yet.

I haven't spent much time charting in the last 6 months.  I did finish Bach's cello concerto - Prelude and published it for Bass and guitar, but the primary bass part was actually made for cello.  It works perfectly by pitching up the chart to 882.5.

I'm working on Lindsey Stirling's Hallelujah for my wife, and should finish that within a week or so. 

As for the idea of piano on RS...  I'm not sure its worth the effort.  There are other programs already out there for learning piano, that use a piano roll mechanism much like what you'd see in MIDI editors.  They just put the piano at the bottom and the roll comes down from the top of the screen just like Rocksmith.  I'm pretty sure that's where Ubisoft got the idea to make RS in the first place.  I've been using an interface similar to the one pictured below for MIDI editing since the late 90s.

Looking forward to trying Hallelujah on violin.... I think you said she's on violin....

I agree that it is probably just simpler to defer to another software.

Actually I just did a quick google search and found this video promo, which depicts exactly what I was trying to convey in text.

I'm not saying that exploration of the possibilities with the Rocksmith engine isn't worth-while.  I just don't think it is designed for an instrument like piano, like this one is.

I must admit Sythesia is pretty cool and that video compels me more than ever to try it, especially at $30, but I have to admit that though their design is elegant I find it to crowded to try to capture the entire keyboard. That's why I am excited to get it to work in RS since we could divide into Octaves requiring 12 frets. Probably you are are correct that it would be shoe-horned and not elegant, but I would still enjoy see what we could do, especially since many fun pieces don't span more than 4 octaves.

For now I have to go back to my Blaze custom.... it's already taken me too long to complete. :)

• Like 1

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

• Administrator

About the frequency range of the cable, player can play without issue play 5 strings bass part tuned to a B0 and E6 is the highest guitar note RS can register without issue (24th fret of the high E tune in E standard).

It can probably go even lower and higher but C1 is the lowest registering note without messing with the A frequency so if you stay on a A440, C1 is the lowest note that register properly.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I just join you for this Rocksmith's Violin team. I play bass, guitar (beginer) and violin and use guitar pro since 2nd edition so I translated to violin any song but on an old hard drive and I think I lost most of them. But I hope I will have time to begin the work and give you any gifts.

So I have to learn how to translate the .gp files to .psarc with violin part and other (cello and/or viola).

If I found my gp files I am going to send Apocalytica songs: Toreador II, drive etc... or Metallica cover for cello and violin. Ok, no violin in Apocalytica but I love this band and I translated from cello note by note. Maybe I can found Vanessa Mae's music too and perhaps any classical. I can not promise :/

Thank you for your work and RS musics files.

Sorry for my English, I am from France and you know, french with others languages...

Start learning your vibrato ;) because I love that!

• Like 2

Damned, I made Rocksmith done a fatal error lol but my first dlc is comming in version 1. Follow this message in any minutes (or hours or days).

The 1st song. Version 2 without RS' crach  :P

I have some work on it before shar to the forge.

Apocalyptica - Drive v2

http://www.mediafire.com/download/op56e86kzfpca3p/Apocalyptica_Drive_v2_p.psarc

The train is on the way, four hours after here is the second song for violin, easyer but with vibrato.

Apocalyptica - Conclusion v1

http://www.mediafire.com/download/91vb1xcmcumc0fq/Apocalyptica_Conclusion_v1_p.psarc

Now I need to understand how add dynamic difficulty.

Next one

Vanessa Mae - Phantom Of The Opera v2 (Finished)

Violin with Dynamic Difficulty. Take a long time to write for DD but really fun for learn and play in guitarcadewith all levels.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fqbxc06nb3zf3ex/Vanessa-Mae_Phantom-Of-The-Opera_v2_p.psarc

I saw any mistakes (errors) in tab but I think not all so send private message if you see one, thanks

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@@randomas if you mean bandfure piezo pickup then I'd reccomend link it through RTcable then to rs, best option, but if you have no di-box or mixer or even y-splitter you can try using no-cable to use your interface you may find istructions at reddit or here, but I don't have a link c:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

It's probably easier than ever now, with the recent updates to RS2014 for acoustic instruments.  You don't need pickups on your "not a guitar or bass".  There are tracks with violin, cello, and even banjo out there; have a look in Ignition.

• Like 1

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.

Hi @Tysilio

What changes to RS make it easier now?

What are you searching in Ignition to seek out CDLC with arrangements that include non-guitar or non-bass string instruments?

I haven't experimented with this for a long time but I will again eventually.

Thanks

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

• Administrator

@@Berneer I guess the microphone mode makes it easier to pick up a signal (and also allow to avoid tone issue) from a microphone sources, whatever the source actually is.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Yes, thank you, @@firekorn, microphone mode was what I was thinking of.  It allows users to bypass the Realtone cable and simply use a USB microphone.

You're right though, @@Berneer, I thought there was a way to filter for song tag, of which I've used 5-String, violin, of banjo, but I can't remember or figure it out now.  Sorry for that. :unsure:

• Like 1

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.

It's probably easier than ever now, with the recent updates to RS2014 for acoustic instruments.  You don't need pickups on your "not a guitar or bass".  There are tracks with violin, cello, and even banjo out there; have a look in Ignition.

Any for ukulele?  :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I was getting ready to try to figure out how to do this for mandolin (same tuning as violin), but it looks like someone has already invented this particular wheel. Can anybody point me toward a tutorial to set this up? I assume I'm just setting it to A440 x3?

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

I was getting ready to try to figure out how to do this for mandolin (same tuning as violin), but it looks like someone has already invented this particular wheel. Can anybody point me toward a tutorial to set this up? I assume I'm just setting it to A440 x3?

You double the core frequency then double it again. If the starting frequency is 440, cello would be 880 and violin is 1760. Don't emulate bass as you'll break strings while tuning.

I did make an overview video a couple years ago. Setup, charting and tuning offset is all in there.

https://youtu.be/lLEnhwi2cv0

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Plum.  I reported the thread as you suggested.

I've already worked it out for cello.  I just lack any music that is written for the instrument.

Tuning:  

E-4=C

A-2=G

D-0=D

G+2=A

Set the core frequency to 880 in the RSCT track and it should be ready to go, assuming the tuning was set correctly in the EOF Chart.

For Viola, use the exact same tuning modifications, and set the core frequency to 1760.

Finally We can try to get APOCALYPTICA - CLDC happening :)   ---  For Example :)

Apocalyptica is a Finnish cello metal band from Helsinki, Finland, formed in 1993. The band is composed of classically trained cellists Eicca ToppinenPaavo Lötjönen, and Perttu Kivilaakso (all three of whom are graduates of the Sibelius Academy in Helsinki)[5], drummer Mikko Sirén, and vocalist Franky Perez. Originally a Metallica classicaltribute band, the band eventually adopted a neoclassical metal style without the use of conventional guitars.[4] They have sold over four million albums to date.[6]

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

• Like 1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...

After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

Technically yes it could be doable, not sure how easy it would be to read it though

But in a more simpler way, i would write one hand on the 2 lowest string and the other one of the 2 highest string of the guitar and by using a weird tuning you could easily get something with at least 6 octaves or so. Not sure how a piano part would actually look like on the highway though but it's always worth a try :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_a7F9ysP0

A Test I Did a while back when I realised my 80s Yamaha Synth Works perfect in "Bass Guitar" mode in-game...

Played using 80s Yamaha PortaSound Synthesiser (PSS 290)

Using dual Tones : BASS PICKED + BASS SYNTH for most realistic sound + Same In-game Tone as i like to use with my Yamaha RBX270 4-String BASS...

Curious for more... Ideally all Charted to a single String / Color / Colour...

You know there's an edit button and multi quote, right? I got 4 emails this morning. :p

• Like 1

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

You know there's an edit button and multi quote, right? I got 4 emails this morning. :P

Oh No! 4 Emails... Hope your In-box still had room left :P

• Like 1