Rocksmith Violin Project

Daikano

Thanks very much for starting this project!

I used to play violin at school and when I left school the 60s scene started and lots of people started playing guitar, so I stopped playing violin and began learning guitar.

About ten years ago I had the urge to start playing violin again so went and bought an electric violin.

Played for a few months and haven't touched it since

When I saw your project it has encouraged me to start playing violin again.

As I've posted several CDLCs for guitar and bass and watched your video about tuning etc. I think I'll be able to do some customs for violin.

I've been working today on a violin part for Eleanor Rigby and I'm pleased with the results.

Update - after playing this several times I decided to make this better by tweaking the chart.

I've also done a playthrough video -  

download new version here -

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rdr50mjrgb9c081/Beatles-The_Eleanor-Rigby_v1_p.psarc

• Like 11

Dude that is awesome!  I was actually considering making a violin and cello custom of Eleanor Rigby since I've dropped the violin (mostly) and moved to cello.  I'll definitely put the wife onto this custom!

Edit:  I had to try it out myself.  I missed the first note on the score attack run. :(

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/ff43/3qcmyqelcl0e5bpzg.jpg

• Like 2

Sometimes I use big words that I don't completely understand, just to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

I'm transcribing the cello for Eleanor Rigby now.  Maybe we can combine our efforts into one custom?

• Like 2

Sometimes I use big words that I don't completely understand, just to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

If you can put the notes.eof file up on a share, and the tone file you used (which sounded great, btw) I can sync it up with the chart I've finished for Cello.  The timing on the song is quite erratic, so i think I spent more time synchronizing the beats than transcribing.

If you can put the notes.eof file up on a share, and the tone file you used (which sounded great, btw) I can sync it up with the chart I've finished for Cello.  The timing on the song is quite erratic, so i think I spent more time synchronizing the beats than transcribing.

Here's the link to the files you need - https://www.mediafire.com/folder/09nk555qd5lxd/Confortable_Numb

Good luck!

Awesome.  I have to head to work, but I'll package this up when I get home in about 9 hours!

• Like 1

@@vinegarv I spent the last two hours working on this.  There were some oddities in the process because for some reason your notes.eof and xml file had the song in excess of 6 minutes long, and it wasn't synced to a beat map.  I hadn't come across that before.  Also, the version of the song I have is the extended version, and there are some differences so I couldn't use the actual data you sent me.  However, I did use the notation you used for most of the song by referencing your video.

Given I had already started transcribing the song a month ago, I went ahead and combined what I had and what you had.

One big difference between your transcription and mine, is that the chromatic walk-down starting on the D and ending on the B is on the cello.  Maybe I'm incorrect, but the timbre of the instrument sounds more like a cello than a violin, to me.

I'll have the song packaged up soon.

I'll publish a play-through video when I finish compiling it.  Here's the two part custom.

Standard bass is the violin (GDAE) 1764 and the bass bonus arrangement is the cello (CGDA) 882

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4cd2rrgvhnh3dgg/The-Beatles_Eleanor-Rigby_Violin_Cello_v1_p.psarc

• Like 10

Assuming you are tuning a violin and not a guitar, be sure you have emulated bass turned OFF. The tuning interface has no way to designate violin vs cello so if the custom tuning shows GDAE 1760ish (low to high) then it is violin. If it it CGDA with core frequency around 881 it is cello.

• Like 2

After a little digging: a guitar is E2, A2, D3, G3, B3, E4, whereas I find that the banjo in my song is tuned to G4, C3, G3, B3, D4, which is not too far off.  I believe A440 should work.  Does anyone play a banjo?  Let me know, I'd love for you to test this out for me once I'm done.

Edit: Nope, I don't believe A440 will work after all.  The 5th string is an issue with the limitation of +/- 11 steps in EoF.  Maybe A880 using the top 5 strings?  I'm not sure how you get past the tuning of the low E string though... maybe by swapping instruments?

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.

I'll be adding a fiddle track when I update "Dirty Old Town" by the Pogues.  I only have some of the tab though - there are fills after the initial solo, if anyone can tab them out for me I will most surely add them with gratitude!

Watch for Dirty Old Town v2.0 in the next few days.   :)

• Like 1

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Still interested in this of course. Just busy with other stuff. I know we're a small subset of the community but I hope we'll see more customs.

I even wanted to create a guitar inlay of a piano with each fret getting 1 key, so basically you only get two octaves in-game but it is probably good enough for some pieces. 1octave for the left hand and one for the right hand , or two for the right hand.

• Like 1

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

• Administrator

Technically yes it could be doable, not sure how easy it would be to read it though

But in a more simpler way, i would write one hand on the 2 lowest string and the other one of the 2 highest string of the guitar and by using a weird tuning you could easily get something with at least 6 octaves or so. Not sure how a piano part would actually look like on the highway though but it's always worth a try :)

• Like 2

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

So to my wife's delight I was eating supper at Pizza Hut with her and I was a conversational delight while envisioning in my head how Painosmith would operate. :)

Here are a few thoughts regarding how we can try to go about using the piano  in Rocksmith 2014.

So given @@firekorn and @@RockZot there seems to be 3 interesting possibilities:

1. RockZot's clever idea of having the bass clef as one player and the treble clef as a 2nd player and then the microphone detecting both piano clefs being played by the player.

2. firekorn's idea of defining the two thickest strings as the bass clef and the two top strings as the treble clef

3. I wondered if we might as well not even consider getting the majority of the piano's 88-keys by using all six guitar strings in game as follows:

e string, 3rd  fret = C6 (C note of 6th concert pitch octave) ...... B6 (15th fret)

B string, 3rd  fret = C5 (C note of 6th concert pitch octave) ...... B5 (15th fret)

G string, 3rd  fret = C4 (C note of 6th concert pitch octave) ...... B4 (15th fret)

D string, 3rd  fret = C3 (C note of 6th concert pitch octave) ...... B3 (15th fret)

A string, 3rd  fret = C2 (C note of 6th concert pitch octave) ...... B2 (15th fret)

E string, 3rd  fret = C1 (C note of 6th concert pitch octave) ...... B1 (15th fret)

We wouldn't used frets 0 to 2 since, those are custom inlay dead zones according to cozy1 upon which the inlay will not be able to show piano keys.

Also we wouldn't need frets 15 and above since each octave (in western music) contains 12 notes in the chromatic scale (C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B )

I used one of the template inlays to create this inlay:

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Pianosmith/Piano%20Inlay%201%20octave%20per%20guitar%20string_zpsn5wis4bk.png

Sadly, in-game it doesn't align in my 1st attempt but I'll post the image anyway so you get the idea of what I'm envisioning:

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForgeStuff/Pianosmith/In-game%201st%20iteration%20of%20a%20piano%20inlay_zpsujfzpz0w.png

Yes I'd have to optimize the transparency of the keys so that we could see the notes properly just before they cross the strings.

As firekorn said, using a funky but appropriate tuning  we could define each string such that the 3rd fret is the C note of the octave being represted on that string.

GUITAR and BASS GUITAR are what are known as OCTAVE TRANSPOSING INSTRUMENTS. This means that the written note is an octave below the note that they sound.

Example: To play middle C (C4) on a guitar play 1st fret of the B string. When reading piano, the C4 appears on the first ledger line below the staff. On guitar the  1st ledger line below the staff is C3. So to play guitar with piano music sheets requires to play guitar an octave above what the piano music sheet says to play.

Here is my special tuning math, please verify my calculations:

So let me do this in steps to get to the final tuning in EoF.

Step 1: Tuning if Guitar were not an octave transposing instrument & assuming piano C notes are played at guitar fret 0 (open string)

So E Standard Guitar Tuning is: E2-A2-D3-G3-B3-E4

Therefore,

E2 to C1 =-16 (red string in Rocksmith)

A2 to C2 = - 8 (yellow string in Rocksmith)

D3 to C3 = -2 (blue string in Rocksmith)

G3 to C4 = +5 (orange string in Rocksmith)

B3 to C5 = +13 (green string in Rocksmith)

E4 to C6 = +20 (purple string in Rocksmith)

Step 2: Tuning if Guitar is transposed to concert pitch (piano notation), yet still assuming piano C notes are played at guitar fret 0

Consider from the above example that Guitar C4 to piano C4 = -12 semi-tones (aka half-steps), then:

Guitar E2 to piano C1 =-16 -12= -28 (amount of semi-tones between E3 and C1)

Guitar A2 to piano C2 = - 8-12= -20 (amount of semi-tones between A3 and C2)

Guitar D3 to pianoC3 = -2-12= -14 (amount of semi-tones between D4 and C3)

Guitar G3 to piano C4 = +5-12 = -7 (amount of semi-tones between G4 and C4)

Guitar B3 to piano C5 = +13-12 = +1 (amount of semi-tones between B4 and C5)

Guitar E4 to piano C6 = +20-12 = +8 (amount of semi-tones between E5 and C6)

Step 3: Tuning if Guitar is transposed to concert pitch (piano notation) & Piano C notes are played at fret 3

Consider that for the 3rd fret to be considered an 0th fret due to the inlay deadzones in frets 1 and 2, we'd need to reduce the tuning  from step 2 by 3 semi-tones. Therefore the final tuning that would render the 3rd fret to have a C note, from each respective octave on each Rocksmith string would require the following tuning:

Low E string --> -28 -3 = -31

A string        --> -20 -3 = -23

D string        --> -14 -3 = -17

G string        --> -7 -3 = -10

B string        --> +1 -3 = -2

High e string --> -8 -3 = -+5

Issues to overcome:

1. Will Rocksmith allow tunings so many semi-tones away from the standard?
  2. Core frequency in the Rocksmith toolkit for piano as described here is A440, right? Probably, since tuning above is relative to guitar tuning. However if RS doesn't like the big numbers, perhaps halving (not doubling is it?) the frequency to A220 will fall within a tuning RS will accept.
  3. FHP = 3 and Width =12 in order to keep in-game camera in a fixed place.
  4. Will Rocksmith (and EoF, and the Toolkit) allow multiple notes on one string in order to simulate piano chords. Example C Major being C4-E4-G4, in the case of the chord being played in the 4th octave. If it won't accept multiple simultaneous notes on the same string, then we'd be limited with  only single note piano pieces, which is far less attractive.
  5. For a given Real Tone Cable gain, will a microphone transmit all octaves equally well to the game?

What do you guys think? I can't really take the time in the next few months to develop this but if no one does it, I may try to make it work in the future at some time. Honestly, if anyone wants to develop on these ideas, I'd be more than happy to see it developed since I would take forever to get this off the ground and operational.

• Like 1

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.