Rocksmith Violin Project

Daikano

After receiving numerous requests from people to post the customs that I have been using for experimentation with Violin on Rocksmith, I have uploaded them.  If others have created customs for violin, feel free to post links on this thread.  Video links might be useful too, if available.

WARNING:  The BASS chart on these songs is for a REAL VIOLIN!
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TUNE A BASS TO MATCH THE REQUIRED TUNING

Tuning instructions:  Do NOT use emulated bass.  The custom is already coded to expect an instrument tuned to G,D,A,E in the 4th-6th octave, which equates to guitar notes on the 10th fret of A, 12th fret of D, 14th fret of G, and 17th fret of B (12th of E).

Customs currently available (PC only):

Practice track:  Beethoven's Ode to Joy
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ghch7t79l3gp93d/Beethoven_Ode-to-Joy_Violin_Only_v1_p.psarc

Video Demo (queue to 13:25):

Lindsey Stirling:  My Immortal (Evanescence Cover)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cfp37a56z4ooa6d/Lindsey-Stirling_My-Immortal-Violin-Only_v2_p.psarc

Video Demo (queue to 5:36):  

Gil Shaham:  Paganini's Sonata Concertato in A Major (1st movement)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c2cr9x9pu8491rm/Paganini_Sonata-Concertato-in-A-major-MS-2_I_-Allegro-Spiritoso_v1_p.psarc

Video Demo:  
  • Like 27

Sometimes I use big words that I don't completely understand, just to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

Thanks Plum.  I reported the thread as you suggested.

I've already worked it out for cello.  I just lack any music that is written for the instrument.

Tuning:  

E-4=C

A-2=G

D-0=D

G+2=A

Set the core frequency to 880 in the RSCT track and it should be ready to go, assuming the tuning was set correctly in the EOF Chart.

For Viola, use the exact same tuning modifications, and set the core frequency to 1760.

• Like 2

Sometimes I use big words that I don't completely understand, just to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

• 3 weeks later...

As I mentioned to you earlier: amazing. I am attempting to get my violin set up like you did. Just experiencing some tuning issues. I PM'd ... you about it. I think you are the pioneer of a whole new movement: bass, cello, viola, violin, ukelele. Perhaps we don't even need to limit ourselves to string instruments. Maybe wind instruments are possible. Imagine playing Baker Street on the Saxophone in RS.

As I have shown you I have gotten the acoustic guitar to work in RS. Plays with 100% accuracy!!! Here it is again. Remember I suck at guitar still so the misses are only due to my poor playmanship.

Imagine even a harp. I swear I'd rent or buy a harp just to try that.

The possibilities are endless!

Imagine the piano! Woh, piano, that is huge!!!

Once again brilliant work Daikano!

I see a near future where there is a section on CF dedicated to "Other Instruments in Rocksmith". This is huge!

• Like 10

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

I now wonder how some of those acoustic songs would sound with a real acoustic.  In your video, the clean guitar sounded pretty awesome.  I replied to your query about violin tuning.  I hope that my hypothesis is correct.

Daikano, I have to figure out the details of this still, I'd like to ask your permission to showcase your violin work at the upcoming MagFEST, possibly on a panel. I still have to bug my friend to see if she would be willing to play violin infront of tons of people, but I think this project shows the huge potential of the rocksmith/customsforge modding community.

• Like 1

Daikano, I have to figure out the details of this still, I'd like to ask your permission to showcase your violin work at the upcoming MagFEST, possibly on a panel. I still have to bug my friend to see if she would be willing to play violin infront of tons of people, but I think this project shows the huge potential of the rocksmith/customsforge modding community.

Zerkz, I have no problem with you showcasing any of my work at MagFEST if you think people will find it useful.  Heck, I may even be able to produce a video if you were showing it at a booth.  As I stated on my videos, my real name is Robb Nichols and I have been working on this project for my wife and myself.  I share the knowledge freely as I have no rights to produce the content for profit, as Ubisoft owns the content.  The educational copyright clause applies only when you're not profiting from it, and even then it is a gray area.

I'd love for Ubisoft to take notice and offer me a job though.  :-D

• Like 5

Hi tron

I tested the Soprano flute with the same setup as violin and Rocksmith detected notes. I did have a caveat that I needed to play differ notes than those charted in order for the game to register them so there is still some testing required to figure out that transposition bing logic but theoretically my guess is that any instrument emitting a discernible note pitch will work with this method. Just need to play near the mic and adjust the RS cable gain setting to cater to how inherently loud or quiet your instrument of choice is. The challenge is making the RS interface helpful to play the wind instrument. The game displays frets but maybe a clever use of a custom inlay may help make the interface helpful for the alternate instrument. I'd love to figure out a convenient piano custom inlay. Have fun!

• Like 3

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

I don't think Rocksmith is a viable medium for learning a wind instrument or piano, because it doesn't show you what note to play, but instead shows you where you to put your fingers on a string relative to the nut.  I do believe that ANY stringed instrument consisting of 4 or 6 strings could be learned with sufficient effort and interest on the part of the person creating the chart.  Anything beyond that would require modifying the game itself to allow for variations on the string counts, like 5 or even 7 strings.

If we want to see the boundaries expand, it'll require effort on the part of people who not only know the technical side of EOF and RS2014, but also have an inherent knowledge of sheet music and transposition.

• Like 1

@@Daikano, I'd like to thank you and the other people involved, @@zerkz, @@firekorn, @, to name a few, and I know there are more, but to all of you who have contributed:

Thank you very much for all of you efforts on this project, this opens up so many possibilities for Rocksmith, and truly demonstrates the creative genius of this community and how Rocksmith is so much more than a game.  Without this kind of 'out of the box' thinking, many people like myself would still only be dreaming of picking up an instrument, or too frustrated with the tedious parts of learning to make that extra effort required to continue on this artistic journey.  Rocksmith made it fun, your contributions make it truly engaging.

Thank you very much!

• Like 5

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.

Thanks for the reply. I'm interested  about the  section played  in this soundtrack by Gheorghe Zamfir with a Pan Flute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqohhowANg0

I didn't find Paint on The Fence tab but instead I've found another Gheorghe Zamfir masterpiece, The Lonely Sepherd, how should I chart to it be able to play with a Pan Flute? ^^ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZD7qhSKY28

This is a nice question. At the moment i don't have a  pan flaute to test it but i think that this is the correct approach to understand if it's possible:

The challenge is making the RS interface helpful to play the wind instrument. The game displays frets but maybe a clever use of a custom inlay may help make the interface helpful for the alternate instrument. I'd love to figure out a convenient piano custom inlay.

The easy way is charted it normally and try to play it with a sort of flaute tone.  I tried to make a sort of flaute tone recently  but is really difficult with the effects available. I reached something similar but is more like an harmonic sound.

If there is a way  to create an external sound from a real instrument and import it on rs as a normal tone file could be possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and yes! :)

• Like 2

A fellow from Brazil sent me 10 violin customs, including three from Lindsey Stirling (Shadows, Crystallize, and Round Table Rival) and asked me to review them for sharing.  They are good, but all of them contained impossible chart moves, like double stops that skip a string, or vibrato on an open string.  I offered to fix these little things for him and repackage but he said he'd rather fix it himself as he's still learning the charting process.

• Like 2

If you're interested to play some cello, i made a custom with a cello chart in the bonus bass arrangement.

The song is Taro by Alt-J. I don't know how to play cello, but I don't think it's very complicated, only long notes. The tuning is CGDA.

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/taro-r12241

• Like 2

Hello! Your project just amazing. I think you can send your idea to Ubisoft and maybe they'll make a new game with strings (cello, violin and viola). So, I learned to play violin for 7 years and I can help you if you want. For example, you can using some guitar techniques for violin (palm mute = staccato, hammer on and pull off = legato, tapping = pizzicato). You can ask me if you have some questions. I'll try to help you with this ambitious project.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I ever make time for it, I will finish revising these other violin pieces.  I've got a few from Lindsey Stirling, and have taken the time to transcribe a couple of parts (violin and cello) of Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles.  I just have to find the time and motivation to get them fit for RS2014.

• Like 2