Steam Beta has broadcast capaibility

eblade

Question

17 answers to this question

Considering that their Xbox/PS4 policy was to only allow recording when not in a song, I'd suspect that if Steam has the ability to block like that, it's probably the same policy.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to actually see what is being sent to the others, without loading up a second PC.

If anyone wants to have a look, I'll be broadcasting again in a few minutes.. feel free to drop in, and if the chat window pops up, tell me what it looks like, if anything?

• Administrator

It's not blocked, it's more like the way RS is working with custom doesn't work with the way the streaming is handle by steam.

This is still a beta though so it might be corrected in the futur and you can always use other alternatives like Open Broadcaster Software if steam doesn't correct it.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• Administrator

It isn't blocked. It's due to the use of the .dll file. The streaming service doesn't recognize it as a game thus doesn't show it.

Community Admin | Send me a message if you are having trouble with something | Teinashu's Hall of Glory
Steam -

• Administrator

Well no, it's not blocked since the streaming is actually streaming something to you (you can perfectly hear what's happening)  but not the video which is just a white screen. It is working the way it is supposed to but not the way we want it too in this particular case.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

The Steam Broadcasting seems like a good idea about time they throw their hat in the ring. It seems to work fine for others connecting to my stream to watch the broadcast but i can't seem to connect to anyone else. So there're still many bugs to work out one in particular would be optimization for better performance and not to be a resource hog. Even with programs like OBS and Shadow Play seem to work fine for broadcasting and don't have a huge impact on system resources. I didn't get a chance to see how much system resources were being used while broadcasting but it must have had quite an impact as I was running at 75 FPS with no problems but as soon someone would start watching my stream it was an instant cut in half in my frame rate so about 30 - 35 FPS.      

Has anyone tried to toggle the option "Record my desktop when not ingame" on?

If the console is recognized by steam as the "game", wouldn't it instead record what is on your desktop... in this case Rocksmith?

Also: Does the microphone-exclusive setting have to be turned off for the broadcasting to record your sound?

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

• Administrator

The desktop option doesn't change a thing even combined when RS is windowed.

Don't know about the audio exclusivity settings since i've always deactivated it since i started streaming RS.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

In case anyone missed it: The latest update for the Steam Broadcasting Beta includes:

"Audio from games that require exclusive access to the sound card can be recorded when using the record only game audio setting."

I've succesfully tried it out myself - and the audio works even with exclusivity on!

In order to capture the video, I had to tick the box "Record video from all applications on this machine" and put Rocksmith into windowed mode.

I don't know what kind of magic they are pulling off to grab that audio, but this is awesome. I could now finally start making playthrough videos if I use a second computer and film the stream there :D

Here's hoping they will integrate the possiblity to save the videos locally, too!

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.