Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 56

Mortalo

Right, so is a "beginner" in the championship someone who's taken guitar lessons, maybe played played some simple songs a few years on their own just now started picking up Rocksmith? Or is a "beginner" someone who's never played guitar at all before Rocksmith and couldn't even pass through the basic lessons in the game?

I guess the difficulty is too high for me in this competition then, that's fine with me.

Herein lies the big problem with Rocksmith. It lets the user decide what path they want to take, which is great for the guitarists who know the basics already but for a true beginner it needs to make them follow the correct path. For true beginners to guitar learning to play songs normally comes after you learn the basics of guitar (IE. How to tune your guitar and your basic Major/minor chords). Rocksmith is awesome as it lets players just jam to any song hitting the notes that come on screen but that is not the best way to learn. You have to have a basic concept of chords and should be able to fret barre chords correctly. Barre chords are the hardest chords to learn as they can be complicated and painful but are something that you must learn. The difficulty levels that are in this competition are assuming that the player has at least a grasp on the basics of guitar. There are no shortcuts as i said before it just requires practice. 

Difficulty is always in the eye of the beholder. Everyone is their own best judge of what they feel is too difficult for them. If this particular song is too difficult for you right now then that just shows you what you need to work on so that it can become easier.

The ratings that are given to these songs every week are just a collection of how difficult people think a song is and are used to give people who aren't sure where they are supposed to be playing a little guidance. Some people who probably have been playing for a month can play this song without a problem and some can't it all just depends on the person and how they practice and how much time and effort they put into it.

An example is @@Smile he started playing guitar with rocksmith if I'm not mistaken and in a year's time of playing I would consider him as and advanced or even MC class now because if you look at his scores that he posts he always has a huge amount of plays. I don't know if he takes lessons outside of rocksmith or if he just plays rocksmith but he has learned a hell of a lot in such a small amount of time. So using him as an example shows that if you put in the time and effort there is no limit to where you can go. Time and practice is key but also dedication to learning helps a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't mean any offense to the chord-challenged concerning Night Fever. Every guitarist has their strengths and weaknesses. Chords were my biggest weakness for my first year of Rocksmith - it takes a long time to build up the strength necessary to bar well on the fly. But in terms of guitar concepts and difficulty to execute, Night Fever is just not very complex.

There's a huge library of chords out there to learn, but the chords every guitarist starts with are major and minor barres. That's all you need in this song! The only exceptions to this rule are the chords that remove one finger from a major or minor barre, which, once you wrap your head around it, is even easier - or at least, takes less energy to do.

If Night Fever is difficult for you at the moment, I would suggest practicing it a lot, because if chords are a weakness of yours, this song is fantastic for working on them. As mentioned, the slow BPM and long rests give you a lot of time to switch your hand position. There's only three riffs, and they repeat with no variation. It's very learning friendly.

@@punchyrumble : I'm really surprised to hear you find it intermediate. Didn't you get a higher score in fewer attempts on Night Fever than The Beautiful People?

• Like 1

Gamut now active again on Youtube!

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Come join us in the Rocksmith Championship!

I unexpectedly that this funny for to play a song, and good sound, and short solo :) Like play it.

http://i.imgur.com/gh6OrK4.jpg

Ps. it seems, if has looked leaderboard score @@then3verend too good for Adv class. I almost sure that you passed easy challenge on Royal Blood - Little Monster (lead), for break your strike 3 week in row. It's not very fair to the others participants, though within the rules.

I didnt intentionally break my streak on little monster, I just legitamitely couldnt get chord recognition on that song, I was seriously bummed out and am trying to get 99% to overcome my sadness

• Like 2

Many nice scores on all songs :)

I'm not offended I know that's a weakness for me. I think the takeaway from this thread and this week is that this "championship" is much more about competition now than having fun. And that the beginner songs are also beyond my personal skill level/dedication. So I'm dropping out and maybe will rejoin sometime later.

I had a good first video + vocals for Beautiful People this week too almost finished up (love that song), though was still practicing for a better score. Ah well.

I don't mean any offense to the chord-challenged concerning Night Fever. Every guitarist has their strengths and weaknesses. Chords were my biggest weakness for my first year of Rocksmith - it takes a long time to build up the strength necessary to bar well on the fly. But in terms of guitar concepts and difficulty to execute, Night Fever is just not very complex.

There's a huge library of chords out there to learn, but the chords every guitarist starts with are major and minor barres. That's all you need in this song! The only exceptions to this rule are the chords that remove one finger from a major or minor barre, which, once you wrap your head around it, is even easier - or at least, takes less energy to do.

If Night Fever is difficult for you at the moment, I would suggest practicing it a lot, because if chords are a weakness of yours, this song is fantastic for working on them. As mentioned, the slow BPM and long rests give you a lot of time to switch your hand position. There's only three riffs, and they repeat with no variation. It's very learning friendly.

@@punchyrumble : I'm really surprised to hear you find it intermediate. Didn't you get a higher score in fewer attempts on Night Fever than The Beautiful People?

I'm not offended I know that's a weakness for me. I think the takeaway from this thread and this week is that this "championship" is much more about competition now than having fun. And that the beginner songs are also beyond my personal skill level/dedication. So I'm dropping out and maybe will rejoin sometime later.

I had a good first video + vocals for Beautiful People this week too almost finished up (love that song), though was still practicing for a better score. Ah well.

I started off playing guitar instead of bass, and I never got any good at chords other than simple power chords -- after 2-3 years of self-teaching with tabs and books.

However, I did get quasi-decent at single note riff stuff, solos, and transitioning between those and power chords "rhythm".  ...Then I transitioned over to bass and most of my (below-par even at their peak) guitar skills have atrophied quite a bit.

To me, the "beginner" level of difficulty should be pretty close to true beginner.  Probably been playing less than a year, but enough time that they know the true basics like shifting around the fretboard, fretting single notes clearly, tuning, and some very basic techniques like hammer ons and slides and stuff.  I'd have still fit in my definition of "beginner" class for lead guitar after my first 2-3 years of teaching myself guitar (almost 20 years ago, so well pre-Rocksmith).

Anyway that's just background so you know where I'm coming from.  My perspective on this is as follows:

I think a true "beginner" level song in a lead guitar path shouldn't have anything more complicated than power chords.  Especially since we've got 4 difficulty classes to work with now.  A "beginner" song in the rhythm path might actually have some chords, but in my opinion as soon as you hit barre chords it should be an Intermediate+, even for rhythm path.

My opinion is, don't drop out of the championship.  If this week's song isn't fun for you (I chose Night Fever, so I'm partly to blame -- I didn't put any thought into how it would be classified for guitar parts, I only knew that the bass part was good, easy-intermedate fun) take a week off and check back next time.  Hopefully the next selection will be more fun and a better fit for the degree that you want to challenge your skills.

To me, the Championship here is much more about having fun than it is about competition -- although that is going to be different for everybody.  The competition aspect of it is fun for me, but if I enjoy a "beginner" or "intermediate" level song more than my designated MC song, I'll play those instead and I am really not fussed about not being eligible to actually "win" on those songs.  This week is a pretty good example of that ... I hate Babymetal (no offense to fans, to each his/her own!), but I like the bass parts of "Night Fever" and "The Thing" so I'm fully happy to just stick with those even though I'm ineligible to "win".

So -- game the system and do whatever you can to have fun.  If that means playing a different song that isn't in your difficulty class, go for it.  If that means taking a week off, that works too.  But I'd encourage you not to drop out entirely!  More the merrier.  :)

• Like 7

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

so many attemps, cause I often tried SA and never survived it :(

http://s14.directupload.net/images/141119/ohuxwbde.jpg

• Like 4
 YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

This competition is whatever the player wants it to be. I for one enjoy watching everyone improve because of this competition. That has always been why I loved this competition. Seeing people who are just starting out and watching them week after week play the songs and at first struggle through them and then as the weeks progress watching you all get better and better had always been my motivation. I don't want you to quit @@punchyrumble as that would be a disservice to you. This competition will help you learn what you want to learn but it is also here to have fun. Don't let anyone or anything stop you from learning and don't take my comments as an attack because it's not. Everyone should do what they consider fun and no one here is going to put anyone down because they can't play something. We all started the same way when learning guitar so we all know how long it can take. Don't be discouraged as that will stop you from wanting to keep learning and use what you don't know as fuel for learning and just attack it head on. That is the best way to go about it. It took me over 20 years to be able to play like I am now and I owe that all to rocksmith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Advanced Bass - 99.37%, 349 streak

Some random misses here and there in simple sections. Only one miss in the "blue string" parts.

Playing on guitar is tough. And guitarist playing in bands are really high level. Even simple songs have something challenging in it. That's why not all songs in Beginner class are Blitzkrieg Bob-like. I'll maybe mention Guitar Hero here. GH is no comparison to real guitar, but let's take a look at difficulty ratings in that game. They work similiar to ours, and sort songs in classes. Though in GH there is Cakewalk (or sth like that) before Beginner. We do not have that class, so we're asking beginning participants to work from day one.

For many (me included) RC is about progress. Getting better. When I pick songs that I played in Beginner class, many months ago, I see great improvement. But it takes time, someone like @@Smile will become great in no time, rest of us will need work hard longer. I myself always struggled with sense of rhythm (timing). Years with GH were beneficial, but I still have some work to do here.

Everyone can take a break from Championship, focusing on not playing songs but going trough Guitarcade or Lessons. There were times when I was playing Dux Redux all the time. When I got to top100 (January/February) I started to do something else. Back then I still couldn't play whole song, but still I had a blast wit my guitar.

Sometimes, a little break can help a lot.

• Like 5

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

So it seems thats it for me this week.

Broke a string on my one guitar, and the other cant handle the C# Tuning, and on top of that 

my pick's are all shredded down, so i need to go shopping first, which i dont think i'll have time this week.

Well heres my babymetal score, sadly still in LAS 

Crappy Babymetal - Akatsuki Score

I really liked the song too...Was fun to play even with all the misses i still get

~So long

• Like 2

Had a couple of really bad rounds with "The Thing That Should Not Be".  Sounded much better than my first playthrough and I felt more in the groove, but the detection was terrible, so I ended up getting lower accuracy ratings.  Tried tweaking the tuning, etc. -- no joy.

I'll try again tomorrow with my 5 string -- just it back from a shop to lock in intonation, truss rod, and action to a better spec than I could manage myself.  Feels really nice now, although I think the main thing was raising the action which was only a problem because I couldn't find any imperial-measure allen wrenches here in Thailand and my metrics weren't cutting it...

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

http://s12.postimg.org/5nar8mr4t/then3verend_lead.jpg

Sorry advanced class you had to deal with one more week of me trying to get into MC, while the competition's been fun my goal was to go from Beginner to MC in every class when I entered this competition. I learned quite a few techniques along the way to give these MC "gods" a run for their money. To be fair, beginner and intermediate both had to endure a week of me trying to advance.

I like how i have to 99% a metallica song to probably play a bunch more metallica songs in MC.

• Like 7

Advanced Bass - 99.37%, 349 streak

Some random misses here and there in simple sections. Only one miss in the "blue string"

In the sense of a fun competition:

YOU BLOODY GEEZER!!!

:)

And i even cant fight back cause 1 note plus means MC and thats a nogo for me ....

Man, dont you dare to escape to mc!!!!

Hahahhahaha, well done!!!

Besides that punchyrumble seems to have been diven away for some misinterpreted statements and thats really making me sad...

Noone did anything wrong i think, things went just wrong...

• Like 1

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

@@then3verend Sorry for suspected you in not fair the play. You really very good player, i sure you give heat @@Nacholede, @ and @Latsh and got fun in challenge with great players.. 

To @@punchyrumble Please don`t break RS week challenge. WC give big motivation for hard work, there very  warm and frenfdly community, always can support you, and give help, tips, video with techniques. If you leave, you very likely can lost enough motivation for practice, and you way in learning guitar can greatly lengthen.

• Like 7

@@then3verend Sorry for suspected you in not fair the play. You really very good player, i sure you give heat @@Nacholede, @ and @Latsh and got fun in challenge with great players.. 

To @@punchyrumble Please don`t break RS week challenge. WC give big motivation for hard work, there very  warm and frenfdly community, always can support you, and give help, tips, video with techniques. If you leave, you very likely can lost enough motivation for practice, and you way in learning guitar can greatly lengthen.

We need more MC players! 

• Like 3

9A7alLl.jpg

We need more MC players!

N.p. Give me 10 years and tell my boss i can well be working from my home ...

;)

• Like 1

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

We need more MC players! 

I think it should be everybodys goal to get into MC one day. I used the competition to push myself to get those 99%'s to advance(which, after looking at the leaderboards, it looks like I'm the first one to advance all 3 classes with a 99(?) and advance into MC(?) as far as the Bee Gee's song, either it is that easy, or you guys are all just getting better on guitar.

I honestly think its the latter, just because we play all of these songs 5-10 times a week(one guy playing a song 100 times). Thats a lot of work on your guitar and your fingers, and that's creating a lot of muscle memory. We all learn at different rates and some of us learn faster than others.

Although with others who want to do well but can't right now, @@punchyrumble might have the right idea with a break for a couple of weeks/months. I did the same in my High School band, and my comeback was so amazing, i shredded the xylophone, and really got me into my love for music. So if and when you come back, lets just say i called it when you start tearing up the leader boards. 

We are all good people on these forums, but the frustration of competition is a given, (I hope @ gets into MC, you're a good rival :P.) So nobody should feel bad and or terrible if somebody feels over/underwhelmed by this competition. Maybe he/she's guitar'd out, too much learning/playing for it to be meaningful anymore.

I do encourage everybody to play for pleasure still, and not just for competing. It ruins the essence of the guitar, and you never have any other outlet for your skills. I've written some sick riffs and vastly improved my songs i've written with what i've learned now. It's fun as always, but i'm always up for another challenge.

• Like 4

We're one 100%  shy from tying Week 54's record. Will we make it? :)

• Like 2

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

I am sure someone else will come in with a 100 in no time. I may try for it on the Metallica or Manson song but no promises. Also damn you babymetal rhythm your screwing up my streak, I may end up playing it just to make sure I keep my weekly streak going in Rhythm as the last two weeks didn't have an MC rhythm to play. Why oh Why does it have to be C# tuning ugh.