Eof bitrate question

Xstatic

Question

When importing a mp3 into eof it asks the bitrate  for example 128, 192, 256, 320.  I have some songs that are at odd bitrates   like I have one that is 249.  Should I be choosing 256 since that is closest or should I choose the closest number that it actually hits like in this case 192?  Does it just go upto the songs max bitrate if I choose a number higher than its real bitrate or does it mess something up?

11 answers to this question

• Administrator

You can choose whatever value higher than the actual one so that the signal isn't altered in any kind of way (you will just have redundant data which will create a bigger file but that's not a problem here).

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

You select an MP3, it converts it to ogg and extracts out a wav file, and uses the ogg to play in EOF (I assume to allow playing at faster and slower speeds without being choppy).

The wav file is the file you import into wwise, and compress using those settings.

So does selecting a lower bitrate make the wav file smaller, or does it just make the sound in EOF lower quality and not have any effect on the final psarc?

edit- just tested and the wav stayed the same at 35MB, and the ogg file was 1.9MB at the lowest setting and 11MB at the highest. So I don't think it matters, the higher quality just makes it easier for you to listen to as you map out the beats and notes of a song.

You are right, it creates the ogg and then creates the wav. Seems like an odd way of doing it, you could convert the mp3 into ogg, and then extract the same mp3 to wav and come from the best quality source for the wav every time.

Leading silence and padding are just silent to could be added to both separately, but maybe that was easier to code through the ogg files and there may not be enough loss to matter.

EOF has special logic to re-use the MP3 file when re-encoding for leading silence, but I didn't put nearly that much effort into the WAV file. The fact that the MP3 may no longer match the chart audio after leading silence was added is a reason it was much easier to just decode the OGG file. For most people, the quality difference should be pretty negligible, and the ones that are most concerned could easily create the WAV file outside of EOF.

• Like 1

That sounds great. I haven't noticed much difference in quality myself but I enjoy seeing how it was implemented and that does make sense.

Awesome work by the way, I never thought making customs would be fun but I've found myself up until 6 am because I just wanted to tweak something a little more before going to bed.