Using Y-split with RS2014 and amp: Any cheap way to remove buzzing?

doctorz

I've been using a Y-split so that I can use my amp and the RS USB cable. It's a 6 dollar Y-split and gets the job done except it creates a lot of unwanted buzz. I can minimize it a bit with adjusting the settings on my amp, but it is still very annoying.

Does anyone know what causes this?

Any cheap solution to fix/minimize it?

I saw on another forum how to use a more expensive splitter to get the job done, but I'm not really willing to spend that much money.

• Like 1

I was using a Y cable for playing through PC laptop to TV via HDMI, as well as to my bass amp.  As I understand it, the buzz is caused by a lack of common grounding for the various devices. 

I later discovered that my Fender Rumble 150 amplifier had a configuration that would eliminate the Y cable and solve the problematic buzz.  I plug the bass directly into the amp with a standard cable.  I then plug the Rocksmith cable into "Send" for the "Effects Loop" (without any return).  The Rocksmith cable connects to the laptop PC and then to the TV, via HDMI cable.  This set-up works great!

• Like 1

I use even cheaper (1.5 $) Y adapter (6.3 male to 2×6.3 female) and I have no buzz. Did you have the buzz from day one?

Yep, from the second I set it up. What amp do you have?

I was using a Y cable for playing through PC laptop to TV via HDMI, as well as to my bass amp.  As I understand it, the buzz is caused by a lack of common grounding for the various devices. 

I later discovered that my Fender Rumble 150 amplifier had a configuration that would eliminate the Y cable and solve the problematic buzz.  I plug the bass directly into the amp with a standard cable.  I then plug the Rocksmith cable into "Send" for the "Effects Loop" (without any return).  The Rocksmith cable connects to the laptop PC and then to the TV, via HDMI cable.  This set-up works great!

I also read something about the grounding thing, but have no idea how to solve it.

I only have a cheap bass amp as I only own it for practice really. It only has bass, mid, treb and presence settings which if I play with I can lessen the buzz, but not completely. For instance if I turn the mid all the way up the buzz goes down a bit, but I don't want to play with that setting.

I'm curious if I can somehow solve the grounding issue cheaply. Does anyone have any ideas?

The electric in your place isn't properly grounded, there's no way around it.

You need to either remove the ground issue from everything plugged in electrically involved or use something like this to lift it from the audio:

http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby.htm

This is what I use, entirely possible there are cheaper options.

• Administrator

When you have a ground issue, connect things one by one in the circuit to see which one create it and to see if you can get rid of this element, it can just be a bad cable.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• 2 weeks later...

When you have a ground issue, connect things one by one in the circuit to see which one create it and to see if you can get rid of this element, it can just be a bad cable.

I've tried every combination imaginable.

The buzz only occurs when I have the y-split connected. My pedals, cables, etc do not cause the buzzing.

It is some combination of the y-split+USB-PC cable (i.e. rocksmith) that is causing the buzzing. The thing fawktastic posted is what I have seen others suggest may fix the issue, but I don't want to buy anything just for the buzz issue. I can stand just using the in game audio. I'd rather invest in a new amp down the line.

Thanks for the help. If I get any progress on this I'll make sure to post, but from what I've read it's just an issue with using the split and can't really be helped if you have it without buying equipment.

You could try galvanic separator something like these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node%3D10981591&field-keywords=noise+filter+rca&rh=n%3A10981591%2Ck%3Anoise+filter+rca

They are a cheap solution that you could try.

The point is to disconnect the ground and make the ground connection with a capacitor instead. This eliminates the humming. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another article for reference with lots of comments in the responses too about dealing with the grounding issues.  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=208747982 I'm doing a bass as well and didn't want to spend the money.  Went with a $25 Behringer Chorus pedal that has dual output and haven't had any buzzing issues at all.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...