Anyway to play songs without tuning?

raybarboni123456

Question

I know the obvious answer to this would be to get a second guitar, but unfortunately my budget doesn't allow that. 

Anyways, is this at all possible? I hate constantly tuning the guitar from Eb to E, not that it's hard or time consuming, but because it's killing my string life. Plus it's annoying to want to only play one song but it's in Eb and I'm tuned for E. So I tune to Eb, play the song then tune back to E to play other songs... not good for the strings.

Would it be at all possible to be able to play an Eb song (or any other tuning) with standard E tuning?

i dont know about a way to skip tuning(id like to know if there is since it could save time when creating cdlc for testing~)

about playing Eb on E - yes it possible(it will sound abit diffrent ofc),but you need to change the tunning 1st on the toolkit and in the xml file.

(if you only change the tuning at the toolkit the game will let you enter the song at E but it wont detect your notes since the notes are in Eb)

1.Download the rocksmith toolkit and import your psarc song(place the folder you get on the desktop or so)

2.go to the song folder>EoF>select the arrangement XML file you wanna change the tuning for(for example lead guitar) and open it in Notepad.

3.look for the tuning line - you'll see somthing like>>> string0="-1" string1="-1" string2="-1" string3="-1" string4="-1" string5="-1

string 0 is the low E and string 5 is the high E.

4.on Eb tuning all the strings gonna be -1(half step below E) so you just change the value -1 to 0 in all the strings to get E standard tuning.

5.save the file

6.back on the toolkit select the arrangement>Click Edit>change the tuning to E standard there aswell>click ok

7.Click Generate and place your new psarc on dlc folder.

7.you are done.repeat the progress for rhythm aswell

hope its clear enough~ have fun

• Like 2

Check out My other CDLC [mostly j-rock] :)

ILoveGazettE's Planned/Requested/in Progress CDLCs

~You Tube Channel~

[i'll try to upload all the cdlc I make there]

GazettE DOGMA ALBUM

You can sort songs by tuning. I tune the snot out of one of my guitars, not sure how string life is affected. D DROP C TO Eb . And no issues, those strings are nearly a year old. Put a little graphite powder in the nut the next time you restring. It's a dry lube used for locks, works great.

• Like 1

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

What kind of strings are you using? I had the same problem as you (couldn't change tunings because of Floyd rose bridge) , except mine does really take hell of a lot of time to retune and adjusting the back, and to play a couple of songs in Eb wasn't worth it.

I did save up eventually for another guitar, my initial plan was to buy a cheap 100€ guitar but it really isn't worth it. 

Especially when you're already used to  certain standard of playing quality. Just save up for a mid range guitar, maybe even a second hand one. Doing all of that work for one song at a time really is a waste of time, and time is money and with that money you can buy new strings.

I use DR black beauties Coated strings, the heavy ones. I retune my guitar regularly and the strings lasts me about 6 months and they're a little more expensive depending where you live. Plus they stay clean and doesn't get gunky.

I have tuned from B standard to E standard multiple times and my strings are somehow still intact lol. If there's a way to skip tuning I'd like to know too since I have multiple guitars with different tunings and it gets annoying that even though I'm tuned I need to do the tuning thing anyways. They should add a "multiple guitars" feature where you choose with which one you are playing on an update or the next RS.

Guitars owned:

Schecter Damien Platinum-6 FR (EMG 85-81) | Ibanez GRG20Z | B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Warbeast (EMG 85-81) | Jackson Pro King V KVT (Duncan SH-6).

Playing since:

November 11, 2013.

Favorite Genre:

Heavy Metal \m/ (specifically Death Metal, Power Metal, etc. and the heavier stuff) 

Both of my guitars have floating bridges so that retuning takes 5 min.  It sounds like you are just going from Eb to E.  You can always tune the guitar to Eb and throw a capo on the first fret and you will be in E.

My solution will be to get a tronical tuner and just program in the odd tunings.

I still dont get why we have to be tuned in only e standard to play session mode

Yeah, that's annoying for me as well. There should be an option to allow other tunings to be used.

You can sort songs by tuning. I tune the snot out of one of my guitars, not sure how string life is affected. D DROP C TO Eb . And no issues, those strings are nearly a year old. Put a little graphite powder in the nut the next time you restring. It's a dry lube used for locks, works great.

I did use a lead pencil the last time I restrung. The strings always break toward the nut, so I figured it couldn't hurt. 

What kind of strings are you using? I had the same problem as you (couldn't change tunings because of Floyd rose bridge) , except mine does really take hell of a lot of time to retune and adjusting the back, and to play a couple of songs in Eb wasn't worth it.

I did save up eventually for another guitar, my initial plan was to buy a cheap 100€ guitar but it really isn't worth it. 

Especially when you're already used to  certain standard of playing quality. Just save up for a mid range guitar, maybe even a second hand one. Doing all of that work for one song at a time really is a waste of time, and time is money and with that money you can buy new strings.

I use DR black beauties Coated strings, the heavy ones. I retune my guitar regularly and the strings lasts me about 6 months and they're a little more expensive depending where you live. Plus they stay clean and doesn't get gunky.

I'm been using ernie ball - regular slinky. It's always the high e string that breaks. I've never actually broken anything but high e strings, lol. 

I'm been using ernie ball - regular slinky. It's always the high e string that breaks. I've never actually broken anything but high e strings, lol.

Yup been there. A lot actually then I decided to invest in a different brand. It really isn't something for everyone but I slinky's costed me about 12$ and DR 20$ in my own currency. 

While the ernies lasted about 1 month the DR would go for 3 months or more. But that was back when I used to live in a place with a different climate. The Ernies were enjoyable for like a week and a half then they start getting gross and eventually High E will break.

The DR's lasts about 3 months and I would change them when the High E broke as well the only difference is that you can't tell when they're about to break

You guys. You're actually TUNING your guitars up and down? HA! HA HA!

I use a Digitech Whammy V pedal to switch between all the tunings without having to touch my actual guitar's tuning. My guitar is tuned to Eb (because I like it, that's why) and I just use the Whammy pedal to "bend" the notes up to E when I need it or down to D/C/B when I play those songs. The only types of tuning it doesn't work for are drop-type tunings, but that's easily fixed by my second guitar (which is tuned to E-drop-D).

Whammy pedal costs about $100 - $150, depending on the seller and which version you get. I recommed the Whammy V; I haven't tried earlier pedals, but they don't sound as great on Youtube clips. YMMV

I suppose any pedal that drops / raises the pitch of the input is also viable, but many MANY such pedals sound like absolute crap. The Whammy V sounds... decent. Especially when you're only tuning up/down a half-step or two.

Best part of this solution: you DON'T need to worry about string gauge/tension, you DON'T need to worry about your guitar's intonation / setup being affected, and you DON'T need to spend more than 10-15 seconds when you're changing tunings.

Highly recommended. Makes everything easier.

Another option if you are on a budget would be Behringer US600 (35 €). It can simulate whammy bar also plus has some other features. Haven't tested it yet though, but I'm thinking about buying one.

• Like 1

I tested the US600 and it works great! Yesterday I played in E, Eb and D with just rotating a knob in the pedal. 

• Developer

I tested the US600 and it works great! Yesterday I played in E, Eb and D with just rotating a knob in the pedal. 

For 35 euros, it seems to be a very good pedal..What do you think, will it break that so easily, as some of reviews say?

And have you tried to play in a lower tunning and does it lag and/or create weird sounds which aren't "understandable" to Rocksmith?

Thanks!

For 35 euros, it seems to be a very good pedal..What do you think, will it break that so easily, as some of reviews say?

And have you tried to play in a lower tunning and does it lag and/or create weird sounds which aren't "understandable" to Rocksmith?

Thanks!

I tested D Drop C and B drop A and they work fine also. For drop tuning, you need to drop the low E-string to D. What I've noticed that there are some "noises" coming occasionally (mainly some echois sounds), but when playing, there are no noises or weird sounds. Rocksmith seems to recognize the playing fine. No noticeable lag noticed.

• Like 1

And what comes to robustness, I bought this used for 15 € and the pedal is like new although it is a few years old. It is plastic you can break it if you want to, but with proper handling I don't see that it should break easily

Tuning is a pain in the rear end :(

I have a spring bridge too, so it is a 5 min job.

I tend to "save up" Eb songs, so when I do tune down I have a few songs to create/play.  Ordering by tuning is great for this, you always notice a song you haven't played for ages :D

I have a few ideas for D standard songs, but they will need to wait.  I'll tune to D with my next set of strings, then when I'm done I'll go through Eb and play/create a few songs and then on to E standard.

And I agree, I'd love to try Session Mode in Eb - play some blues like Jimi Hendrix, SRV, KWS and a million other blues guitarists...

• Like 1

• Administrator

Just trick RS on the tuning screen while for the session mode (play the 1st ret for Eb etc...) and you'll be able to play in session mode in whatever tuning you like.

Then the fretboard just need to be shifted up but playing by ear is way cooler than looking at the RS fretboard.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I definitely wish for an option where the charts would be transposed for the tuning you are in. Also, would be cool if there was a feature which allowed you to transpose notes between strings on the fly in riff repeater maybe. For example, if you don't like playing open strings you could make that a fretted note in the chart, or you could make a note played on a higher string instead of moving on the neck, or vice versa.

Also, if you had a snapped string you could move the notes from that string to the others and keep on playing :P

I know the rocksmith team tries to chart the songs as closely as possible to how they are originally played by the artist, but the game isn't made for those artists right? Couldn't hurt to add in a little flexibility for the user.

• Like 1

i have been playing rock n  roll damnation and whoever did this custom did a fantastic job of getting the pitch spot on - other acdc songs from that era have also been done but they are not flat or 440hz ,

so if i play rock damnation then go to play sin city to get around retuning i just apply a little pressure on the string just past the nut

you only have to hit the pitch for a very small time

I don't mind different tunings (and don't think string life is an issue there), but when you're supposed to tune standard E into just another standard E a couple of hertz off, that's just anal. I wish there was an option to pitch-bend the song to regular E for those of us that aren't "hardcore" enough to care if it's 440Hz or 445Hz.

• Like 1

• Administrator

@e.Rogue you can but that is complicated and limit the number of fret available and you have to mentaly shift every fret number indicated which can be quite complicated to get used to.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity