Can someone give me some insight on low tunings and heavy gauge strings?

drewhark

Question

I dont know much about this and ive only been playing for a year so bare with me haha.

I want to experiment and start playing low tuning songs. preferably C standard.

I currently have a gibson lpj with regular strings and I know not to tune it down that low.

But why is it bad for the guitar?

I'm most likely going to buy another guitar for this so I can have one with regular strings and the other with heavy gauge. If I do get one what kind of range can I tune it to? Example if I keep it in c standard can I tune it up to D standard or even drop d? and how low can I tune it? I really have no idea so some knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

11 answers to this question

But why is it bad for the guitar?

It isn’t. That’s just internet bullshit. Plenty of people play guitars in low tunings without trouble.

I'm most likely going to buy another guitar for this so I can have one with regular strings and the other with heavy gauge. 

That’s a good idea. When you buy it take it to a guitar tech and have the nut replaced with a new nut cut for the heavy strings. Save the original in case you need it later.

Example if I keep it in c standard can I tune it up to D standard or even drop d? 

If you set up the guitar for C standard you’ll be able to play comfortably in B, C, and C#. Tune up to D and you will might find the string tension uncomfortable. 

• Like 3

I Use D'Addario 11-56

They are optimized to D but work well in C, C#,(B, lower rest)  too. I play D more than C so this is just my choice...

012-.(56)to60 should be better C Optimized and works better in B and lower.

Using string like these or "heavier", i wouldn't go to E, D Drop, (eb) , too much tension (i think it might cause some problems)

For E, Drop D to (Eb) you should have lighter stringed guitar like 9-42, or max 10-52 tuned in Eb, but works OK still in E.

You can also buy separate (what u wish) strings from ernies.

Some thinks should be checked if your guitar have been E tuned guitar before...

Neck, nut, initation... you can find more info from internet how to check.

So, keep it short if you really play mostly C and lower i  would choose 12-60.

even if you use 9s and tune down to C standard it's not going

to hurt the guitar.

The strings will be sloppy and nearly unplayable,

but nothing is going to break, so you can experiment with no worries.

if you think of the guitar as a bow and arrow setup,

the tighter the string is the more the bow (or neck) will bend.

lighter gauge stings put less tension on the neck,

as does lower tunings.

the one thing you don't want to do is use a 13/60 set

and set It to standard tuning.

It probably won't break the guitar,

but it will put a lot of stress on the neck.

• Like 2

The truth is.....

I lied about everything.

I have had the same strings on my bass guitar since I bought it about a year and a half ago, and I re-tune it probably 20 times a week MINIMUM going everywhere from B to E (I have alot of songs downloaded from here that I play almost on a daily basis and they are all different tunings cause I gravitate towards metal).

They still perform flawlessly with no issues, keep their tone, etc. They are standard gauge bass strings, and while a C or B makes the string a bit loose, that just means I play it harder and there aint a damn thing wrong with that :D

I don't believe the hype about re-tuning strings being bad for them etc unless you twist the tuning knob like you have a drill for a hand.

That being said, strings are decently cheap anyways for the value you get out of them and I can't say it is worth hampering your jam sessions and enjoyment based on the allegations that it is bad for your strings.

By the time these break I will likely be eyeballing new strings for replacement anyways (some say every 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc. I think 2 years is the longest I'd ever go personally, and that is only if they remain in great working condition and keep their tone etc)

I have a 7 string so i can play shit that are on 7 and 6 so thats also a bit helpful. I had to get used do playing 6 strings song on a  7 because i had to shift up a string to play them

I also have a 7 string, which pretty much removes the hassle of changing the tuning as I mainly play songs in B or E. I agree that it takes some time getting used to it. I have another guitar lying around, to which I might change the strings so that I could play C/C#. But first I'll test Behringer US600 to see how well it changes the pitch. 

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

Had the same issue - low tunings where unplayable on my gibson sg, even with unconfortably thick strings...

So, didnt wanna go for a 7 stringer cause i cant even hold my 6er straight ;)

So after intense internet recherche i bought a guitar thats made for low tunings, too...

For me its a ESP LTD JK-1 signature, for sale on thomann.de

I couldnt be happier - perfect note recognition with the original strings down to c standard (not been lower since purchase), and she is a damn beauty.

R

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.