Trouble with bends

Rumrunner24

Question

Im trying to rank up my bends for a mission and I cant figure out what Im doing wrong.Do you pick the note then push the string up or pick and bend at almost the same time ? Neither works for me and its annoying as hell.... Its seems like an easy task but Im screwing it up some how.

7 answers to this question

It depends on the specific bend, some are slow bends where you pick the string and slowly bend it, whereas some are fast where you pick and instantly bend it. In RS2014 it's quite visual, if you're playing RS1 than I'd suggest you change to RS2014 where it is much easier to see how the bends are supposed to be performed.

You can also see how much you're supposed to bend with the up-arrows, if it's one arrow it's a half-step bend meaning you bend it only a little. Two arrows is a full-step bend and so on...

• Like 1

You play note and then bend. Why you can have problems with it?

1. Strings gauge - thicker string - tougher to bend.

2. String action - higher action - tougher to bend.

3. Practice :) With time you'll get better with them. At first I couldn't get past 1st bend lesson (I was unable to get to practice track). But with time, practice, experience, I learnen how to do it (or maybe make Rocksmith recognize them :P ) and passed the lesson. Playing guitar needs time. Don't worry, practice will make you better :)

PS. I had the same questions as you year ago :)

• Like 1

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

You play note and then bend. Why you can have problems with it?

1. Strings gauge - thicker string - tougher to bend.

2. String action - higher action - tougher to bend.

3. Practice :) With time you'll get better with them. At first I couldn't get past 1st bend lesson (I was unable to get to practice track). But with time, practice, experience, I learnen how to do it (or maybe make Rocksmith recognize them :P ) and passed the lesson. Playing guitar needs time. Don't worry, practice will make you better :)

PS. I had the same questions as you year ago :)

Im using Ernie Ball-Slinky COBALT 

What strings do you guys recommend ? I'm still a noob but Ive come a long way since I since I got Rocksmith 2012 and 2014.

I bought the thicker strings because my high e string kept braking at the point where its wound around the tuner and I like the sound the cobalts make. I'm pretty sure it's because the metal on the tuning peg is soft and the string is digging into it but that's another subject.

I'm assuming the slinky's will be harder to bend than the super slinky's but I'd imagine it's not a big enough difference to cause me to mess up,I just suck right now...

Do the different gauges make a big difference on the sound or is it just a preference for playing ?

Don't put too much emphasis on the string gauge you're using.  10-46's are fine, so are 9's, and so are 11's.  String gauge is more a matter of personal preference, and doesn't really impact bends that much.  Sure, lighter gauge strings are easier to bend lower down on the neck (around the 2nd and 3rd frets) but higher on the neck it doesn't make much difference.  

What's more important is how well your guitar is set up.  Make sure the intonation is proper, and that your action is set properly.

After that, you just have to deal with the fact that bends are very finicky in RS.  The game is very particular about how you do bends.  Just do the practice track for the Bends 101 and 201 lessons until you can nail them 100%.

You have to be very careful to bend the exact right amount that RS wants you to.  You can't bend too far, or too shallow.  And you have to let the initial note ring ever so slightly before you bend.  What I mean is, don't just pluck the note and bend all at the same time.  Pluck the note, and then start to bend after the note has sounded.  RS needs to detect the initial note AND THEN the bend.

• Administrator

Gauge impact bend depending on the tuning (due to the strings tension).

Heavier gauge in E standard will be harder to bend than light gauge in E standard. But light gauge will be way too loose to be correctly playable in C or B standard while heavier gauge will work correctly.

So it's more about taste and way of playing, there's no good or bad gauge.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity