JamPlay Or Artistworks Paul Gilbert

nak_muay

Done some research seems like these 2 sites would probably be best for me and what i would like to accomplish with the guitar. Just would like some feedback from you guys, if you had any experience with either of these site any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you

I had a coupon for a free week at Jamplay when I purchased a capo. Watched as many of their videos as I could muster in the limitied time. Granted I am a beginner but the site is filled with videos, documents, lessons, exercises and accompanying music tabs. Instructors spanned many genres and articles touch on a vast range of topics from How to Practice to How to Perform and reduce anxiety to How to Compose and everything in between. It felt like the complete package. Instructors even follow a calendar of broadcasting themselves jamming and taking comments from users.

The yearly fee felt a bit steep but if you stick with it, I suppose it is well worth the price.

But then Rocksmith came along and I just stopped visiting JamPlay, opting instead to just dive into songs. Maybe wise. Maybe not...

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

Yes, Jamplay looks great, but there are a lot of good free lessons on youtube, and when you have made the tour of these, and reached a decent level, you can consider paying for online teachers.

Just check the great lessons of Pebber Brown, who not only adds documents to his videos, but he is one of the rare teachers that corrects your technique before you even start to play.

I'm working on his Caged 5 position system video (one of 600) for two weeks now, I posted the link here, somewhere in a video thread. He's also funny, maybe not intented, but funny nevertheless.

Thanks for your feedback and i do understand there is free stuff out there but i feel i would take it more serious and do better if it is coming out of pocket. If anyone else can help me out i'd appreciate it

What I ment to say, Pebber Brown also offers you personalized online teaching, if you want to pay, but at least you see before what you get. www.guitarmasterclass.net looks quite impressive too.

I took guitar for about a year when I was a kid and took it back up a couple of years ago (I wont tell you the time span between :) ) .  I started off with Rocksmith and enjoyed it but wanted more.... well rigor to hone my skills.  So I explored a few options:

1) http://www.guitarlessons.com/ was my first venture... Nate Savage has several free lessons, but I sprang for the beginner package.  I liked it.  The price was reasonable, I learned some things and completed the series.  I was even surprised that Nate called me personally to see how the series was going for me.  Nice touch.  

2) Jamplay was my next attempt for "formal training".  I had it for about a year and for most of that time I was doing the lessons from Mark Brennan.  Probably learned more here than from Guitarlessons.com, but Guitarlessons.com gave me a good foundation to dig deeper.  The price of Jamplay is a little steep and you can usually get a year for $99 in... hmmmm Jan/Feb.  But after a year, $139 /year wasnt worth it to me.

3) About 4 months ago I heard about http://www.rockprodigy.com/.  This is an online PC/Mac/iPad app similar to Rocksmith... or maybe better said similar to BandFuse since it uses scrolling tabs rather than note highway.  While there are some songs I think you can download, the main purpose of the app is instruction..i.e. lessons.  So far I think it is great because I get feedback on my playing rather than just watching videos.  The have sales occasionally and you can pick up then entire lesson set for $99 or you could just buy one course.  I took advantage of a sale and bought the whole thing.  They have a forum for questions and they are usually quite responsive. 

Hope that helps... feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.  Good luck and have fun!

I took guitar for about a year when I was a kid and took it back up a couple of years ago (I wont tell you the time span between :) ) .  I started off with Rocksmith and enjoyed it but wanted more.... well rigor to hone my skills.  So I explored a few options:

1) http://www.guitarlessons.com/ was my first venture... Nate Savage has several free lessons, but I sprang for the beginner package.  I liked it.  The price was reasonable, I learned some things and completed the series.  I was even surprised that Nate called me personally to see how the series was going for me.  Nice touch.  

2) Jamplay was my next attempt for "formal training".  I had it for about a year and for most of that time I was doing the lessons from Mark Brennan.  Probably learned more here than from Guitarlessons.com, but Guitarlessons.com gave me a good foundation to dig deeper.  The price of Jamplay is a little steep and you can usually get a year for $99 in... hmmmm Jan/Feb.  But after a year, $139 /year wasnt worth it to me.

3) About 4 months ago I heard about http://www.rockprodigy.com/.  This is an online PC/Mac/iPad app similar to Rocksmith... or maybe better said similar to BandFuse since it uses scrolling tabs rather than note highway.  While there are some songs I think you can download, the main purpose of the app is instruction..i.e. lessons.  So far I think it is great because I get feedback on my playing rather than just watching videos.  The have sales occasionally and you can pick up then entire lesson set for $99 or you could just buy one course.  I took advantage of a sale and bought the whole thing.  They have a forum for questions and they are usually quite responsive. 

Hope that helps... feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.  Good luck and have fun!

I looked at rock prodigy and it didn't look that great too me but now that i kinda give it a second look i think it is kinda better. I have a problem with rocksmith memorizing the songs that i play i can get 90% and above on a song easily and not be able to play the whole song without rocksmith playing it with me and i think it is because it is more visual instead of me thinking about the number fret i have to hit i just go by motion and usually hit it. Im an intermediate player i know some scales, mode, some theory, and most chords. Would rock prodigy be a fit for me cause im a decent player i feel like it would be for more beginners lemme know watcha think

• Administrator

Use the Score Attack with the master mode to memorize song, or learn riff by riff with the master mode activated to actually memorize the songs.

Rocksmith is like reading a partition, if you don't try to get rid of it you won't memorize it no matter how perfect you can play it ;)

Rocksmith is a tool that have some really usefull part if you take your time to experiment with it.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Rocksmith is like reading a partition, if you don't try to get rid of it you won't memorize it no matter how perfect you can play it  ;)

For songs I like to memorize, I use FRAPS to make a playthrough, and a videoplayer (with stop, forward, backward, slowmotion, range play) to learn all parts without music in Amplitube, memorizing and automizing finger movements. No need for Riffrepeator or RS anymore, as I can rip videos from Youtube too. LOL

It also helps concentrating on metronome rhythm, and bend, strum up/down correctly.

I used RS 100% in the beginning, now with all free lessons available, and knowing RS flaws to make you progress, it has gone down to 10% of my guitar play.

Is rockprodigy just for beginners?   Not sure... I am flying through the first lesson pack... there are some challenges, but still flying through.   The third? maybe intermediate.  They are talking about doing an advance package, but way down the road on their development plan.  Unfortunately, they dont have a demo mode of each of the packs for individuals to make an assessment to their skill level.