Playing guitar and singing

Hi,

I'm 23 years old, i have been playing quite excessively guitar for 1 year now, i'm taking lessons from a private teacher ( very good teacher IMO ) 1 hour /week, i play some rocksmith when i have the time and i'm trying to get some songs down on my own. I can see, feel and hear i'm improving alot every day.

When i go to concerts small or big doesn't matter, it seems so natural for the lead singer to play and sing at the same time and even most of the other guitarist also do some backing vocals or sing along. And this seems not to affect their playing skills.

So i'm kinda worried there is something wrong with my brain, it feels like it can not handle the 2 things at the same time, for example Do I Wanna Know from the AM which is an easy song to play, i know the rhythm, lyrics, and can play it without looking at my guitar. But when i try to sing and play along with it i goes sooooooooooo wrong after 3 notes....

So i was wondering.... any suggestion is welcome :)

• Administrator

It's really hard and you need a lot of practice to be able to sing and play at the same time. Memorization do a lot there too, if you don't know either of the part you won't be able to look at both at the same time.

Are you able to play the rhythm infinitly without any problem? Are you able to sing without looking at the lyrics? All of this come into account and it's really something that you won't be able to do without any training.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Nope - it's normal...

First try to practice a bit playing and whistling/humming (?) along...

Later try to sing...

Practice, practice, practice...

BTW If ya read some interviews - many musicians tell, that it's hard. So they when they write songs... They write 'em, be be as easy as possible to sing and play at the same time ;)

That english :)

Feel free to edit my CDLCs, use tones etc.

ok that's good to hear, i really love to sing so it would of been a bummer if it was just me ;)

thanks for the heads up,

Then i guess it needs more time and i'm only playing for a year so i need to get better with the guitar first.

And i guess the professional musicians have a lot more time to practice as well as it is there job. When i look at my teacher, it's fun to see him play every song and sing along without the need of practice. but then he also has been playing for over 40 years so yeah....

i get the picture!

I just started to do backup vocals in my band (I play bass) but timing can be a bitch when playing and trying to sing at the same time. While practicing  I try to master my bass part first and try the vocals separately then try to combine the two, play it slower to get the right feel. Although for some parts I need to simplify the bass part a bit...

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

yes, thats all right. Just pick easy songs with simple rhythm shapes and chords you can handle without thinking about and looking at your guitar. Practice them till you can play it at sleep.

It's an automatisation process, and most important thing is practice, practice, practice.

YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

Thx for all the replies! I'll remember that it is REALLY hard  :) after only playing a year i'm not able to play that fluently that i don't have to think about it, it works ok for the first few bars but a complete song and the transition between different parts isn't good enough yet even when i'm looking and my brain is working at full speed i tend to miss chord/rhythm sometimes so yeah.

I know what to do! Practice more and harder on certain easy songs, when i can play them in zombie mode i'll try and start singing:D

Singing and playing is something really hard

I tried a few times with my terrible voice and didn't work that well. But you need to practice, A LOT.

Yeah, i suck at singing hahaha

And i don't think there is something as a terrible voice! i recon singing is kinda like hitting the note correctly on the guitar apply the right amount of pressure on the string in the right place on the fret-board.... it needs a lot of practice as well.

Record yourself the first time you attempt to sing a song, but don't listen to it yet, over the days you practice that same song and after 5 days or so you record yourself again and listen to the 2 recordings. I think you'll find it impressive! ;) 

I'd say if you like to sing don't be afraid to do it ;)

• Like 1