Open Broadcaster Software guide

Jazzie

Question

Hi All!

Here is a guide to record RS2014 with 60 FPS downscaled to 1280X720. Video is high quality with a small file size! (120 to 150 Mgs) Tested in Windows7! Works very well. and is FREE! :)

Jazzie

Here is the software site link:
https://obsproject.com/

Here is the guide:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcwdy5bzv44k6fn/OBS_Settings.pdf?dl=0

1) I turn off all enhancements under 'Rocksmith video configuration'. Lower your visual quality to medium or low if
you get jerky or laggy playback.

2) OBS won't run in 'Full Screen mode' unless you (ALT+TAB) out of RS2014 and leave the 'Game Rendering 'setting box up (don't close it) and (ALT+TAB) back to RS2014.

3) For Audio issues see the PC configuration guide from Ubisoft. (Below) You might have to edit the 'Rocksmith.ini' file and change the following values:

ExclusiveMode [default: 1] - Set this value to 0 if you want to have other audio programs running at the same time as Rocksmith 2014. You may need to increase your LatencyBuffer setting to avoid audio issues if you choose to disable Exclusive Mode.

4) Depending on your CPU+RAM+GPU this can all have different results. You have to play with RS to get it to work correctly to record smooth videos.

5) Here is 'Ubisoft's PC configuration guide:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/802854-Rocksmith-2014-PC-Configuration-and-FAQ-Forums

6) TURN OFF YOUR ANTIVIRUS when recording!!!! And any other memory resident programs.

7) If you have issues wtih FPS, use the Razor Cortex Game Booster! It has a video capture that will compliment older systems. I just tested it with RS 2014 and it works great with about a 350 Meg capture for six minutes of record time:
http://www.razerzone.com/cortex/game-booster

*Here is a video I put up on YouTube last night! It rendered to be about 120 Megs and came out very smooth. Keep in mind that youtube makes all scrolling videos jerk once in a while. I believe it is a YouTube encoding issue. The original is smooth as silk. I tried with Windows media plyer. VLC and a couple others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0anCnbW207g

• Like 2

3 answers to this question

Thanks, nice guide!

I tried to get OBS to work a while ago but couldn't manage it... now I got it working :-)

When I record in windowed mode as you suggested, I capture the actual window border... so I chose full screen instead.

My problem is, though: When I turn off "audio exclusivity" I can capture the audio signal, but due to the audio lagg the game just becomes unplayable for me.

If I wanted to play through a whole song like this I would have to mute my speakers and play in silence... but even then the resulting video would be horrible, because my guitar is always lagging behind the actual song.

Is this better on a more powerful computer?

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Hi I made edits to the original posting. Please see them for any issues you have with recording and play back. I set the microphone to off and turn my guitar down to 65. I have an I7 CPU with 16 GIGs of ram. So like I say above in my post. You have to play with it to get it right. But it does work and it is free...

Jazzie

I'm using all sorts of software since 25 years, and when I find an excellent piece, I recognize it.

This is a remarkable tool, considering a version 0.6, pretty logic to setup,

not the frustrating experiences I had with other capture software.

I used FRAPS, which can't record several sources (game and cam) simultaneously.

FRAPS could not record and compress 1920*1080 without drops,

I use Xmedia Recode (free opensource) to compress the video.

OpenBroadcaster records 1920*1080 without drops with an adjustable bitrate of 3000kb/s

on my 8gb ram I7 CPU with realtek sound chip.

I play RS on a 2nd screen via hdmi in a 1600*900 resolution window,

and digital out audio, and the OBC preview stream can be displayed on the laptop screen.

I keep audio exclusivity on and audioengine to 1.

RS only seems to need exclusivity on the RSCable audio recording, not on the sound output.  

Window border can be unchecked In the OBC setting,

Video sources are not limited to 2, they can be resized, translucent, ...

I checked Bandicam, and it has one major flaw for RS Users:

It cannot

- record a full screen cam, (max 1/2 size) 

- recorded the cam with a transparency factor

I´m recording this way to check and try to correct my finger technique,

and to play the tracks outside of RS with the great tones of Amplitube.

I got OBC running in 10min, my only problem was I did not think of RS as a game

and selected video capture instead of game capture device.

I always support opensource. B)

Edited by TomSawyer2112