issues that i've had with rs2014, any help? :-)

eblade

Question

I didn't really want to make a bunch of small posts, not sure which way is better. If people would rather I made seperate small posts, i can do that too.

Usually, my Rocksmith works fine.  Sometimes, it does not.  I pretty much play bass exclusively, although I just recently started trying out Rhythm as well.

1- Frequent total freezes when loading Tutorials.  This has happened since Day 1 of RS2014.  Ubi was no help to me there.

2- Tones sometimes get stuck.  Sometimes, particularly when a CDLC is loaded, the tone will get "stuck" to whatever tone came packaged with it.  No amount of changing tones gets me back to being able to change tones again.  I remember in the old days, a lot of people had mentioned having this problem -- but has anyone found a way to get tones back, without restarting the game?  Or is there a known way to lock the game to a particular tone? (i'd be happy if I could tell the game to ALWAYS use my specific custom tone. I have a custom tone that I like very much, and I use it for -everything-)

3- Game sometimes locks up at the amps.  Most people experience exactly this if they don't have the CDLC that the song in question is coded to.  Does this happen to anyone else, who has it usually working?  Seems to be random songs, again.  Never a stock one.  It could be that I have some songs in my CDLC list that have other songs coded, but I would think that those songs would either not appear or appear as locked?

4- Game crashes.  A fair amount of time.

5- In the last couple of months (probably around reaching the 1000 file in my dlc directory mark, but not entirely sure), i've been getting a total lockup sometimes at the "Pick" screen, before the intro movie plays, or immediately after I login, at the "Enumerating DLC" box, right before it would normally animate the main menu into place.

I can usually get through a 30 minute session without running into too many of these problems.  A 90 minute session, though, and I'll experience all of them.  The custom tone problem was especially annoying to me today, as it kept getting "stuck" after only one or two songs, and then I'd have to restart, and sometimes it would crash or freeze at the amps immediately once I got it restarted.

Anyone have any tips for any of these?  It's super difficult to tell if it's particular songs that break things, as I pretty much always just throw it in Custom mode, and run with it.  I suppose I should keep a notebook with me and write down when it crashes or halts, and have a look at those files... :-D

7 answers to this question

1) i dont know, do you have all patches installed from steam?

2) does this also happen with official DLC, if not it could be just a issue related to the custom itself.

3) Is a known issue that happens to customs, the custom usually needs to be repacked again and it will usually work after that. If the original creator does not want to do it i think you can use the import feature of the toolkit to load the custom and than pack it again.

4) The game never crashed on my system, because you have a lot of customs it could be that some of those could be the the source of the instability of the game. My suggestion is to remove the customs from the RS2014 folder and see if the game is without customs still unstable. If the game does run stable just add slowly customs back maybe your favorites first and then try to track down the ones causing issues.

5) same as 4)

If you want to use a tone created from you just use the import feature of the toolkit, it will import all information of the custom and allows you to change things like the tone. After that pack to custom back and it will use from now on your tone.

I recommend that when you get these crashes, isolate the songs you played or wanted to play last in a subfolder of DLC.

Move this folder out of the DLC folder if you don't play these songs.

If you really want to use these songs, check customsforge, there may be a new or other version.

You can also import them in the Toolkit and repack them, so they get that default tone.

Check also if you have songs with same name which conflict. Names can be changed in Toolkit.

Check list of problematic songs here

That's the way I get rid of hangs, but I never had that many.

I would also check the Harddisk (i.e Harddisk Sentinel) for bad sectors,  which can corrupt song and program files.

The problems don't seem to be related to any specific custom song, and in fact, all of these problems do happen with stock or official dlc songs. Two different machines.  I haven't tried it without the patched DLL yet, though.  That's my next step.  I suspect that the game is just pretty highly screwed, there are threads on the Ubi forums from 2013 about these problems, and there have been no responses.  As far as I can tell,  there's only been two patches for the game, one that popped out in December of last year that we don't really know what it did, and one that came out a week or two ago and patched in the Orange amps.

I have a Core 2 Duo @ 3.6Ghz and a AMD quad-core @3.8Ghz, 8gig ram on both, Nvidia 450 on one, 750 on the other.

Once I removed all the CDLC, I couldn't even get the game to start in my regular profile, it would -always- lock up immediately after selecting my own profile.  I was able to create and start a new profile.  So, I suspect that perhaps having a ton of CDLC might be affecting something in the profile download code, perhaps.  I was able to get back into my old profile after I put all the songs back.

On my main computer, it's installed from the original disc, the second computer, it installed directly via Steam, mostly because it's actually faster for me to install from the Internet than from a disc inside my own computer.  (that blows my mind every time I think about it)

I'm going to nuke all CDLC and the modified DLL for use on one computer, because I want to actually try to learn to play a 6-string using Rocksmith in it's normal environment .. I tried that with all my CDLC installed, and the first thing it recommended after the first tutorial (which I had to load about 10 times before i got into it without the game crashing), was that I learn to play some crazy complex Megadeth song.. i told it no, and it picked Dethklok.  I decided I'd better go back to stock for learning a new instrument. ;)

so.. completely nuking rs2014 and reinstalling it really didn't change anything.  Tutorials launch only about 1 out of every 10 attempts, otherwise they freeze the game.  This mirrors the very first experience I had with rs2014 -- the first thing I did when I installed it on release day, was to take it's suggestion to run a tutorial.. at which point it locked up.  That was a completely different machine than what I'm using now.

I'm starting to think either their QC sucks, or there is something unexpected with my Uplay or Steam account that is somehow breaking the software.

Without any CDLC installed, though, I haven't run into the "tones" problem, although other people have complained of it on the official forums.

I had that same problem yesterday with the game locking up at the amps.  I had downloaded and installed a d3dx9_42.dll file in the rocksmith folder, like you're supposed to, but it turns out the dll file I found was no good.  I downloaded a new file from a different place and it worked out for me.