Genre that isn't well covered in either the official or CDLC catalogues?

Shakey64

Question

What do you think, are there some genres neglected?  There seems to be a lot of metal (of various sub-genres), punk (mostly non-70s stuff) and general/classic rock but not much love for these:

blues; rockabilly/psychobilly; country; indie; original 50s rock and roll...

Definitely not a moan as the CDLC output is phenomenal (and I could learn to create some myself) but if there are any talented CDLCers out there maybe this thread could point them towards where people think are gaps?  

On a similar note is there anywhere to log request for songs on the site?

• Like 2

Fender Classic Player Baja Telecaster; Epiphone Nighthawk Custom; Westone Concord 1: Italia Mondial Classic;

Epiphone J Mascis Jazzmaster; Chapman ML2 Classic Gold-top

There is very little roots reggae, as well. Hell, there are more genres under-represented than there are represented. Looks like we have some work to do ;)

I chalk the lack of variety to a combination of the limited experience of youth, and the total lack of tab for the less popular musics.

• Like 1

"When we were young the world was like a vision - the colours and the sounds they took our breath away. But now we watch it all on television while eating processed meat out of a plastic tray." -NoMeansNo

My Customs

There is very little roots reggae, as well. Hell, there are more genres under-represented than there are represented. Looks like we have some work to do ;)

xD WT¿?¡! doble post¡! ok, children songs :p

Time? I can't give you time... Anyone can... Time is just an illusion...

My CDLC'S here --> Rush Forge

While it wold be the least popular among this crowd (and thus makes sense there is no CDLC for it) there is no Christian music available.  I have seen a couple Skillet tunes which sorta qualify so it's not completely lacking, but certainly not the content other genre's have.

• Like 1

While it wold be the least popular among this crowd (and thus makes sense there is no CDLC for it) there is no Christian music available.  I have seen a couple Skillet tunes which sorta qualify so it's not completely lacking, but certainly not the content other genre's have.

I have nothing nice to say, so this is me saying nothing ;)

• Like 4

"When we were young the world was like a vision - the colours and the sounds they took our breath away. But now we watch it all on television while eating processed meat out of a plastic tray." -NoMeansNo

My Customs

I have nothing nice to say, so this is me saying nothing ;)

I understand, really I do but these days those bands aren't all Stryper, you know?  Some of them are actually pretty good and if you are into that scene at all (like my kids are) then there really isn't any content across any of the gaming formats to fit that genre.  Nothing for RS, nothing for Guitar Hero, nothing for RockBand, etc....

• Like 1

I understand, really I do but these days those bands aren't all Stryper, you know?  Some of them are actually pretty good and if you are into that scene at all (like my kids are) then there really isn't any content across any of the gaming formats to fit that genre.  Nothing for RS, nothing for Guitar Hero, nothing for RockBand, etc....

I think that the reason for their absence here is largely down to the fact that despite the huge crowds that that music draws, it is a regional thing and isn't actually known or followed outside of its niche. There are tons of Christian bands that are popular (Black Sabbath, for instance), but they aren't marketed towards and do not tour with the acts that you are referring to. Someone actually did a pretty fascinating ama on reddit about this recently (it was an atheist backup singer who toured with several important acts on that circuit).

My Customs

What do you think, are there some genres neglected?  There seems to be a lot of metal (of various sub-genres), punk (mostly non-70s stuff) and general/classic rock but not much love for these:

blues; rockabilly/psychobilly; country; indie; original 50s rock and roll...

I can only work so fast!  But seriously, I am working on it.

I can only work so fast!  But seriously, I am working on it.

Haha, this post could have been written just for you based on your WIP list! :-)  I'll make sure to check out your updates.

Can I be a little cheeky and request some Stray Cats be added to your list?  

Fender Classic Player Baja Telecaster; Epiphone Nighthawk Custom; Westone Concord 1: Italia Mondial Classic;

Epiphone J Mascis Jazzmaster; Chapman ML2 Classic Gold-top

Haha, this post could have been written just for you based on your WIP list! :smile:  I'll make sure to check out your updates.

Can I be a little cheeky and request some Stray Cats be added to your list?  

Absolutely.  MartyV sent me a couple scans from the Rockabilly Bible and I'm pretty sure one of them was Rock This Town.  I'll double check and add it to my list.

I am always appreciative of more medieval metal (may as well call it that instead of 10 different names) such as Ensiferum, Alestorm, Eluveitie, Swashbuckle, etc.It is almost an underground status of metal but by far my favorite styles =)Speaking of which, I have more videos I need to upload of said artists

You have to understand that the people making these customs are making the songs that THEY like and want to learn to play and then sharing those with us. No one is going to go out of there way to look for tabs on music they don't really care about. I am sure if you or anyone looks for the particular tab and a link to a video and or song file for the song they are requesting and post a thread in the appropriate place someone may be willing to do it. This is what happened in smithy but the requests got insane. My suggestion is to find the tab and music file and become friends with a custom maker or learn the tools and make them yourselves. 

• Like 3

You have to understand that the people making these customs are making the songs that THEY like and want to learn to play and then sharing those with us. No one is going to go out of there way to look for tabs on music they don't really care about. I am sure if you or anyone looks for the particular tab and a link to a video and or song file for the song they are requesting and post a thread in the appropriate place someone may be willing to do it. This is what happened in smithy but the requests got insane. My suggestion is to find the tab and music file and become friends with a custom maker or learn the tools and make them yourselves.

Absolutely right. I think there should be a forum by genre where people can post topic if they find quality GP tabs for song they want to be done. I am accepting suggestions for ska songs.

I will learn to  create customs, but right now, we live in a squat, that is gonna be evicted really soon. So I just can play 1-2 hours at night.I would love to see some Hardcore-Punk, Crust, and so on. Havent found Bands like AMEBIX + I doubt that tabs exist for the more underground bands. And I'm nowhere near tabbing them myself.

Cheers!

maybe it's the wrong topic to ask this, but do i need any sort of music theory knowledge to create cdlc's?

i'd love to contribute cdlc of some bands that i personally am missing here so far, saw the cdlc tutorial with videos - i'm probably gonna try to figure that out when i'm home.

i just want to make sure that a 'music theory noob' like me is capable of releasing good cdlc. (i.e. close to matching custom tones, the rest depends how good the tabs are, right?)

maybe it's the wrong topic to ask this, but do i need any sort of music theory knowledge to create cdlc's? i'd love to contribute cdlc of some bands that i personally am missing here so far, saw the cdlc tutorial with videos - i'm probably gonna try to figure that out when i'm home.i just want to make sure that a 'music theory noob' like me is capable of releasing good cdlc. (i.e. close to matching custom tones, the rest depends how good the tabs are, right?)

If you don't have to fix the tab it's just going through the motions. I've made a simple point by point tutorial for my approach, I guarantee it's the simplest way to get quality results in no time. I recommend trying it out on a good and simple tab and learn to make a perfect package.http://customsforge.com/topic/856-tutorial-for-proper-initial-gp-tab-sync-to-audio-trackeof-updated/I don't cover the next phase toolkit/wwise related stuff, there are other tutorials which help with this process and it will be trivial next time you do it. Or details of managing phrases/sections in GP tab but I will probably add that later.