New rule please: Test your CDLD before you upload it.

Tmlt

Question

• Administrator

Yes cause it takes even more time to test it and sometimes we just don't bother to do it because 99.99% of the time it works fine. It's easy to say that we should, it's harder to actually do it correctly on every path for every cutoms we do and sometimes we just can't too.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I'm not here to criticise anyone or anything so don't get me wrong but I have found numerous problems in several CDLC's that I have downloaded here in the last several months. I'll partly take the blame because I don't always give feedback, but when I do it seems to go mostly goes unanswered (maybe 'cause of my junior status). I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a song and read all the thank you's and great job's done and so on, just to download the song and have issues mainly with tones and volumes. And yes, I've fiddled with the mixer in-game to no avail. There seems to be a large variation in peoples tone and song volumes from one CDLC to another, at least in all the songs I download. But I've also had all kinds of issues with my game that have been on my end. I'm happy that people take the time to do this, but yes some people need to do a better job with their CDLC.

Uncle

• Like 2

I have found numerous problems in several CDLC's that I have downloaded here in the last several months. I'll partly take the blame because I don't always give feedback, but when I do it seems to go mostly goes unanswered. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a song and read all the thank you's and great job's done and so on, just to download the song and have issues ..., but yes some people need to do a better job with their CDLC.

Uncle

I can't agree more. It's easy to loose sight of the last 5-10 cDLC downloaded, you play 2-3, and then, some weeks later you stumble upon the forgotten.

It shouldn't be possible to thank, unless you have played it once.

But who can resist first enthusiasm?

But why are so many charters ignoring important corrections?

Some seem to be in a kind of altered state, where releasing more becomes obsessionnal.

I overcame this addiction. B)  They don't like to spoil time with past releases.

More seriously, I think they forget to follow their own release, they don't get the messages.

I would recommend the site administrators to add an "autofollow" for each Charter to his submitted cDLC.

• Like 11

• Administrator

I'll partly take the blame because I don't always give feedback, but when I do it seems to go mostly goes unanswered.

Well that's always a tough one, some charters don't answer other do and it's hard to remember who's doing a good job or not but that's part of the thing with community created content... If you want top notch dlc just go with the ubisoft ones or keep only some charters under you radar cause you know they are doing a great job. But you can't force anyone to do a perfect cdlc and to perfectly follow all the feedback that they get....

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a song and read all the thank you's and great job's done and so on, just to download the song and have issues mainly with tones and volumes.

And that's sometimes even more frustrating on the charters end. sometimes you don't notice those problem cause you are in your little space doing the usual stuff and even when testing you won't notice it, then one day someone will decide to speak up and you'll think : "how shit! how did i not see that?"

I'm happy that people take the time to do this, but yes some people need to do a better job with their CDLC.

Yes some people do and it's not always about testing and there's no quality requirement or any kind of filter so yes there's bad cdlc out there, but it's not always about testing andit's complex thing to do a really good cdlc and many things seems to be unnoticed when people are playing so sometimes people can get lazy for exemple. It's hard to please everyone (who said impossible?) and the job done is already impressive all things considered. Asking in a topic like that to test won't go anywhere, it's by giving feedback that things will evolve. i don't care if some charters don't look at those feedback those who do a great job will and that's what's matter!

@@TomSawyer2112 : it's not "so many" charters that ignore those corrections and sometimes those corrections can be hard to do, oh yeah i've past some time doing things i didn't quite understand to finally getting nowhere near what i've wanted too... and if you think it's just about notifications send a private message, they will have a notification this way. ;)

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

@ firekorn

I have about thirty cDLC I did which are not released.

Some are hard to do, I'm not satisfied with the notes, some parts are good, but too many are not.

When I don't like to play, why share them ?

There is a quality requirement, and that is self-criticism

I'm just waiting to get more experience in charting.

In fact I feel I need more ear training, achievable by youtube teaching lessons.

Sometimes working too long on a song blows your mind, requiring some distance.

But 2 month should be enough to check back with new ambition.

Riffrepeator, DD, tone volumes, acoustic tone, merging lead and rhythm notes are easy corrections to do

No one asks for difficult corrections : like tabbing notes yourself if they can't be found.

Of course, I sometimes use private messages for songs I care.

That's exactly why I came to the conclusion of an "autofollow" flag for charters.

And Test play is required :

90% of charts are not right, notes are not positioned on the right strings, slides have unplayed notes, fret hand positions are not correct, arpeggio's or ghost notes are missing, finger positions change when they can stay in position...

• Like 2

I agree about not releasing complete mess of notes or if you don't like how charting is done, well I won't bother about tones cuz lots of us play with external amp effects and mute ingame guitar output so, I provide not null similar to song tone.
Also "memento mori" Grim Ripper Ubisoft will come and release any song that can be yours, so I don't bother myself with 5 star\100% supermega polished effects and just keep things simple: 

1) accurate tab 95-98% (99% if you lucky one)
2) decent tone
3) complex chartimg(full band, split up for rhythm and lead and proper techs)
4) FHP like it was played live.

That's enough for me. If I can test cdlc - I will. no - leechers will test it for free ;)

just kidding :P

• Like 1

You convert audio, import gp tabs, sync, make sections+phrases, lyrics, make tones, adjust, export and upload it and share the link here, BUT you CANNOT be bothered to use the extra few minutes tocheck if your own creation works....WTF?!

For me personally 9/10 times i test it. but i don't own a bass so it makes it hard to test that instrument.

• Like 1

Not testing a custom means not finishing it. It's as easy as that. It doesn't matter how much time you invest in the custom creation process, if you don't test it afterwards you'll never know if everything works as expected. For me personally, most of the time, the real work starts after I've created the first test file in the toolkit and start up RS. Correcting all the chart issues that are still present (even after a thorough work process in GP and EoF) and working out correct volume levels and tone setups can take me up to 5 hours. I can understand of course why some charters tend to skip the process but the result is usually the same. It just doesn't work in one way or another. Releasing a custom in that state can only be called a WIP release and is therefore not a finished creation that can satisfy any player serious about using RS for it's intended purpose.

This topic leads me to a much bigger question, btw: Why in the world would you make a custom that you don't even intend to play? Because the first thing I would want to do, is play the damn thing myself. Then I could check all the remaining issues as well. That's why I'm creating them in the first place and that's why I bother at all. And if it's not fun for me, how can I expect it to be fun for anyone else? So my advice would be, to start caring about your customs. Only create stuff that interests you and that you intend to play for yourself, because that's the only reliable method for creating something that's even worth the effort, no matter if it's you or someone else. Don't waste your energy on something that you have no further use of if instead you could use it on something that gives back the effort you invested a hundredfold. I've learned so much more from making customs than from playing them that I never regret a single minute I spend on improving every aspect of my creation. Don't get me wrong, it's still tiresome as hell and extremely time consuming but never boring or routine. Every custom needs an individual approach because every one is fundamentally different. That's something you'll only come to understand if you care enough, so caring is the key to a successful custom and that's why I care.

• Like 10

• Administrator

So because you do everyone should be like you? Don't get me wrong i work the same way as you and i care but that can happen in many occasion that i don't test bass path because i'm not a bassist and in all my custom with a 5 strings bass part i've never tested that part because i don't own a 5 strings bass and it's an obligation to be able to test it...

So no! A non tested cdlc doesn't mean it's WIP and if you want to do it perfectly you should test your cdlc everytime you make the sligthest change in it before releasing it.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

I test every change I make, so that's certainly not the issue here and of course everyone has their own approach to doing things and that's ok. I'm not saying you should go beyond your abilities or capacities when making customs, just that it can never be as good as it could be if you don't approach it with the necessary mind set. I'm also not saying that you can't make good customs if you don't care about the songs because with the right approach and enough experience the technical aspects should guarantee a usable result. If you can live with the fact that at least a part of your custom will never reach the level it could have if cared for and tested thouroughly on all levels then that's ok as well. Also, I can understand if you don't test 5-string bass arangements if you don't own a 5-string bass; I can also understand if you don't test an arrangement that you can't manage because of it's difficulty, but imo it's not the ideal thing to leave it untested just because of that. If nothing else, then you should maybe find a reliable tester for those circumstances, so you can make at least sure it's on a level that's playable. It won't make up for testing it yourself but it's a compromise.

I personally don't work above my level anymore, so I can always make sure that every arrangement is playable and feels intuitive to play because if it's not than what good is it? What would my custom be teaching those that rely on RS as a learning tool? As a custom creator I'm in a unique position to define a persons aproach to a certain piece of music that they may have heard a hundred times before but never actually seen from a players perspective. My approach therefore is the one that defines their new found way of seeing the music and if that one is distorted by my own inability to see through the musical concept that lies behind the track than I'm the one to blame for misleading all those that want to actually get into the music and learn from it. That sounds very philosophical but that's how I see it, sorry. You don't have to agree with me but I hope you can at least understand my point of view and therefore the reason I was saying what I was saying in my first post.

• Like 1

• Administrator

Don't get me wrong i agree with you, and i test 95% of the time all the path in every step of my creation process. :D

It's just that making the testing part an obligation won't change anything and might even limit the number of cdlc release which doesn't seems to be the direction choosen on this site.

And the OP isn't even a customs creator himself, that's something i don't like when someone try to tell you how you should work. :)

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

And the OP isn't even a customs creator himself, that's something i don't like when someone try to tell you how you should work. :)

Well that is NOT true, since I have created and uploaded customs! Not many as some of you but they are still CDLCs! :angry:

But after reading all you guys´s comments I have to agree that testing perhaps shouldn´t be a rule anyways :)

• Administrator

Since there is absolutely no way of enforcing this rule. No, testing a song is not a mandatory thing.

Personally I hope everyone tests their customs before uploading it.

• Like 6

Community Admin | Send me a message if you are having trouble with something | Teinashu's Hall of Glory
Steam -

I guess we're all free to decide what our name means. I sometimes download songs I dislike from respected charters just because I know it is quality and then luckily I even learn to appreciate the song because it taught me things. That's the power of a name.

I must admit the temptation to post is strong when working so hard to perfect. I know I just couldn't wait to share my work. But I think I made more friends by withholding and testing every single aspect of the custom.

Plus I spend 6 hours per month revisiting every single forum post of my 1500 downloaded CDLC in case an author revised his version of a song. Knowing I must be in the minority in doing this so painstakingly, my goal is that a song be as perfect as possible at version 1.0 since it often will be the only version downloaded by a CF member.

• Like 3

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

Testing is a very time consuming repetitve process, specially because starting rocksmith is sooooo slooooow.

And you have to exit Rs to reload a changed psarc file, which you must not forget to copy in the DLC folder.

And if audio exclusivity is on, sound is cut off or lowered in EOF or GP, GPA, mulitasking is not always possible.

Believe it or not, in very fast scales, like John5, notes seemed ok in Eof (av delay well adjusted), but in RS in RR with a speed of 1, they where out of sync. Missing (grace)notes also become very obvious.

One major problem to seek and erase minor errors that make a great intuitive playable cDLC is that EOF has no real RS 3D preview and that you can't stop your cDLC in Riffrepeator and rewind to check the details I wrote about.

I would recommend that charters make a video playthrough in the final stage before release, which they can move frame by frame

forward/backward to check these stupid fret hand and finger position changes, and which arpeggio is required or not, and remove these strange notes in slides, place notes on more intuitive playable strings, i.e to make bends easier, instead of fret 2, set on lower string on fret 7 or 6.

i think(and i want to belive) no one is that stupid to upload not working cdlc,it takes some time to upload it to download site and submit for database.

so why whould someone do that?maybe its working for him and not for you?happens somtimes...(i dont really know what was the problam since you just said not working..)

and as for unfinished 100% cdlc you cant really complain...charters get so low to zero feedback,and opening topic at workshop probably wont be answerd

so what you have is releasing what you have and consider playable and hope for pepole to help you improve it.

for me,every song i like that someone else made and its good i say thanks-because i dont need to make it!

ppl who just download stuff without creating anything think it should be obvious that if you upload it here it should be like official dlc

while ppl who experienced the proccess know it not that simple and happy to see when new ppl try to make them and help them improve.

if you think somthing free sux and it could be better-leave feedback  or simply start to learn how to make them~

you got the tools you got the tutorials so start!and lets see if you share it with us~ it took me some time before i releasd my 1st custom

and be confident of my work..

seriously i was thinking ppl will say i sux or my work does but it actualy didnt happen after all..you know what?because ppl didnt say anything..just download -yay-

well..its somthing~

GazeRock Is Not Dead! 

I have found numerous problems in several CDLC's that I have downloaded here in the last several months. I'll partly take the blame because I don't always give feedback, but when I do it seems to go mostly goes unanswered. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a song and read all the thank you's and great job's done and so on, just to download the song and have issues ..., but yes some people need to do a better job with their CDLC.

Uncle

I can't agree more. It's easy to loose sight of the last 5-10 cDLC downloaded, you play 2-3, and then, some weeks later you stumble upon the forgotten.

It shouldn't be possible to thank, unless you have played it once.

But who can resist first enthusiasm?

But why are so many charters ignoring important corrections?

Some seem to be in a kind of altered state, where releasing more becomes obsessionnal.

I overcame this addiction. B)  They don't like to spoil time with past releases.

More seriously, I think they forget to follow their own release, they don't get the messages.

I would recommend the site administrators to add an "autofollow" for each Charter to his submitted cDLC.

I completely agree with the comment about the "thank yous". I see alot of that but then find issues with the CDLC and no one has gone back and commented on these. Thank yous are a vital part of this community but actually playing the CDLC and providing feedback should be at the core of the community.

I use the "Thank-You" button to show gratitude and the "Like" button to say that I think the CDLC is good quality.

I like your idea TomSawyer of inspecting your playthroughs. Only problem is that recording software, from my limited experience, introduces lag.

I turn a negative into a positive: The tedious restarting of the game to test a change makes me consider my changes very carefully. Then there is that euphoria when your solution work like a charm.

Here's hoping others are inspired by the pleasure of testing plus think of it: you know a secret the world is about to discover -that your labour of love is precious and fun. Plus better to have one author catch his blunder in 5 minutes than to gobble up 5 minutes of 500 people's time and risk no one downloading your follow-on CDLD. I know I was frightened to waste you, my friends', time. Then one reward is when people like your song, they tend to kindly send you a playthrough's and your work resides affectionately on YouTube. Priceless!

• Like 3

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Sorry, edit button not working from my phone.

Plus every time I restart the game to inspect a change, I go to the section with the fix and I use the occasion to play that section over and over to master the section. Blur the lines between testing and playing. :)