New rule please: Test your CDLD before you upload it.

Tmlt

Question

I have found numerous problems in several CDLC's that I have downloaded here in the last several months. I'll partly take the blame because I don't always give feedback, but when I do it seems to go mostly goes unanswered. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a song and read all the thank you's and great job's done and so on, just to download the song and have issues ..., but yes some people need to do a better job with their CDLC.

Uncle

I can't agree more. It's easy to loose sight of the last 5-10 cDLC downloaded, you play 2-3, and then, some weeks later you stumble upon the forgotten.

It shouldn't be possible to thank, unless you have played it once.

But who can resist first enthusiasm?

But why are so many charters ignoring important corrections?

Some seem to be in a kind of altered state, where releasing more becomes obsessionnal.

I overcame this addiction. B)  They don't like to spoil time with past releases.

More seriously, I think they forget to follow their own release, they don't get the messages.

I would recommend the site administrators to add an "autofollow" for each Charter to his submitted cDLC.

Can we make it Automatic + Mandatory...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

An important set of points which needs attention.

When I download a custom (the rare occasion I play others' customs) I always look for a comment from people who have actually played it, instead of the "Thanks!! Great tune".  As a charter I like "Thank You"s, I'm not bashing them at all, but I do agree that they can make a crap custom look awesome.

It is worth remembering though, that making customs is very difficult.  It's a lot of new information to take in and a lot of new programs to use.  There is lots that can go wrong and cause all kinds of errors, so first and foremost ALL charters deserve a pat on the back for effort.

One new charters "make" their first custom(s) they just want to get them out because it has been an absolute power of work up to that point.

I think that the biggest problem with customs though, is that you actually need to be a pretty competent musician to make good customs.  I would consider myself an experienced guitar player and I found it daunting when I first tried to use GP files - so much so that I ended up making songs I knew really well from scratch for my first few customs.

There is a tendency to "trust" the GP file, even when it is wrong (even in parts), you need to know the song kinda well enough to know where that G chords goes...

Then testing, if you can barely play the song yourself then how the hell can you verify good/bad tabs and a decent sync?

There has been much discussion on this subject, a way of knowing in the database which customs are good (technically), which are playable and which are just awful.  How it is implemented I don't know...

But yeah, thanks for bringing the point up again and hopefully we can discuss enough to find a feasible way forward :)

Cause there is some complete tat in the database, and I rarely download customs any more because I have been disappointed so often.  Then I think, if I don't try then I may be missing out on some total gems by great new charters... 

• Like 3

Then I think, if I don't try then I may be missing out on some total gems by great new charters... 

That's really rare case usually it's notes mess with no tones(it's good if there is atleast default one) :D

I think it's really cool when you know charter and you can guarantee that he is good and his cdlc valuable work, that's how I usually choose cdlc to download.

My $0.02 on the topic

I only released one that I didn't test before (Laser Cannon Deth Sentence), and that was because i had no strings at the time. I tested it immediately afterwards.

I know some of my cdlc have problems, but its minor (FWAM has broken ending, and two weeks could use a better chart for the chorus)

The reputation I want as a Charter is "Thats the guy that brought in that really awesome song I used to like, I'm going to go learn it." I'm not striving for perfection, but I want the song to be playable and fun. I'll go for perfection when I work at Ubisoft and charge people for my DLC :P, until then 95% is awesome in my book

Many nice scores on all songs :)

Someone who don't test his custom before publishing it, takes the risk to create inacurate or unsync or volume problems customs.

It takes a lot of time to create a clean custom, publishing a "crap" one have a direct sentence: Someone else will do it better/fixed & you'll lost your invested time & give a bad opinion of your upcoming work.

Testing our customs is the best& easiest way to enhance the overall quality, it just takes 10 minutes & you'll won't be desapointed by the awaited comments saying you're custom is unsync etc...

• Like 4

Shit ... it usually takes me an hour or two just to get the tones semi-accurate, then a couple hours testing to make sure it plays well (volumes, accuracy, etc.).  I often become so sick of the songs, I don't even want to play them again.  But I'm kind of a perfectionist prick, so I have no choice but to do it this way or my head will explode.

• Administrator

It totally depends on the song for me. Sometimes I can crank out a perfect song in under an hour. That is Lead, Rhythm, Bass, Vocals, RR and DD. Other songs take more time.

Things that will save you some time.
Make a good database of tones that you frequently use. And name them correctly!
Example. Toolkit name: Distortion Filename: Distortion - Sabaton
That way you can quickly look for a distortion tone without having to change names.

Make a folder with all the Album Art. And name them correctly!

Make a preset in WWise. Instead of making all the changes by hand. Just build a preset that you can use every time.

The most important one. If you are starting to get tired of the song. Stop! Go watch a movie, read a book, play some guitar, make another song. If you are losing the motivation to finish the song. don't force yourself.

Community Admin | Send me a message if you are having trouble with something | Teinashu's Hall of Glory
Steam -

What I would suggest, if you don't wanna test it to be perfect, just test that the damn thing works. It's really tedious to find songs, that just lock up your game :/

Some times, the lockups don't occur to the creator. Software is complicated. Best thing you can do is leave a comment on the song saying that it hardlocks/doesn't load. Usually a repackage can fix it.

• Like 1

• Developer

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

You convert audio, import gp tabs, sync, make sections+phrases, lyrics, make tones, adjust, export and upload it and share the link here, BUT you CANNOT be bothered to use the extra few minutes tocheck if your own creation works....WTF?!

I can't believe people do not test their creations what the fuck did you create the custom for in the first place? Ego I am guessing as with most charters on here, I did it, I am the greatest, oh shit it doesn't work as expected well fuck me I didn't notice. Fucking useless bunch of cunts.

I'm not a cdlc creator, as yet anyway, nor donator at this time, but I find these posts have been worded very distasteful and offensive to the creators of the cdlc.

The time it take's to learn and create a cdlc is very time consuming, the creators are not being paid nor asking for donations for their hard work and the vast amount of time that is put into some of the projects here either.

Sure it wouldn't hurt if they tested them, but that would add more time to the process thus reducing the amount of cdlc available. This is where we come in....

When a cdlc is created, it could be tested and seem fine to the creator, though some or a majority of us may not think so. It only takes us a couple of minutes to leave a comment with some constructive criticism on said track that the creator can see and take on the feedback in their own time.... since it is their time and effort that is getting them out for us in the first place.

If I created cdlc's and saw too many comments such as those above, I'd simply think sod it, I'll just make it for my own personal use.

I'm sorry, but I simply had to voice my opinion to these types of comments, I would not allow it on my forums and I think people should be more grateful of the time and effort put into the creation and leave a comment on the cdlc in questions download thread with some constructive criticism rather than post things like this.

Of course, just one person testing it themselves isn't going to be good as they may miss something that someone else (IE: Us) would pick up.

If it simply will not load at all, then I agree, simply loading the game to make sure the cdlc loads up would be something that should be done, but if it's sync issues, wrong tone, no sound, lyrics are wrong, etc.... I think that's where those of us not able to make cdlc to chip in and leave some advice on said track.

Just my two cents, I'm not trying to cause any offense, but posts worded in that way are rather rude and as I'm sure we would all prefer a community that are nice to one another.

tris

• Like 2

Most of the above comments are done by charters, & it's not suposed to hurt anybody,

doing custom is a long process (even with the amazing tools we got), if the charter is very experienced, skipping the test phase isn't a major problem (even if i personnaly don't agree).

Testing the song makes you sure:

There's no freeze/crash

The guitar/bass & song volume match the others official customs

There's no sync issues

The song appears in the list with it's label

How could you spend hour(s) on polishing one custom & let this kind of problem happends ?

While you just need 5 min to test a song you like ?

As said by Teinashu, if you need a pause, (test the custom & publish it) later, it's not a race, it's a gift to the community.

I don't said the customs have to be perfect, but the above points are easy to fix if you try your releases before publishing them.

• Like 2

If only we can have a workshop section for all the work-in-progress customs. ;)

I think this problem will never go away, because there will always be new charters, and we need new charters.

But you can't ask for beginners to do a great job on their first customs.

In fact i think the quality of the customs are better now than a few months ago. 

With all the info and the quality of the tools now, i think it's easier for beginners now.

The only think that can solve this problem is time and knowledge.

People should spend more time on their customs.

Charters should play their customs a few times before posting it for all the possible mistakes you all noted.

And you need to understand the tools and your instrument because GP files are not a sure thing. 

We all have differents ideas of what is a good custom.

Here i talk about perfect sync, chords, tones and others just want it not to crash.

had more than a couple cases here where I tested everything and in my PC worked just fine, and some user had trouble with some part. There is the multiplatform cases - I don't know anyone who has a PC, a MAC, a 360 and a PS3.  And, finally, when the charter plays guitar, for example, may not notice errors some pro bassist will do in the bass part.

Anyway, most of stuff here works just fine. Take it easy on the charters, they're just one person sharing his work - is not like they're multi million dollar companies releasing unfinished product with huge day 1 patches (wink wink).

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

One thing that I have found very useful as a final quality control check is to use the "Rocksmith to Tab" program to break out my finished tab from the psarc file.  I then load the tab into Guitar Pro and listen carefully to the playback.  I find it much, much easier to find errors in the transcription this way, then simply be reviewing/playing the song in Rocksmith.

Well, suppose there's a song that you absolutely love. It's difficult to play but you'd love to learn it.

Then one day it appears in the Customsforge search and you're like oh hell yes this is going to be awesome!

You download the song, fire up the game all excited, and then realise it's just some rubbish half-assed import of a rubbish half-assed tab someone found somewhere on the internet and quickly put here without even playing it. It's not useful for learning(!), it's not fun to play and it doesn't sound good. Got your hopes up for nothing. 

First world problems, I know. But there are some options that might be worth trying if we'd like more consistent quality:

1) Some kind of a rating system. It should allow a fresh rating if the file gets updated.

2) A jury to select the absolutely best, near-perfect files for people to enjoy in some kind of top songs list. (May not be 100% fair to charters, but ensures a good amount of easy-to-find quality content for users.)

3) A "workshop" type of place which would have the tracks that are still "in progress". They'd need to get somehow verified in order to get to the database (and could be downvoted back). Everyone could still browse the "in progress" type tracks, help to complete them with feedback etc, but there would also be an option to hide them from search.

The purpose here would be not only to filter out junk, but also to appreciate hard work! Currently the really good customs get mixed among the average ones and are easy to miss.

• Like 1

Well, suppose there's a song that you absolutely love. It's difficult to play but you'd love to learn it.

Then one day it appears in the Customsforge search and you're like oh hell yes this is going to be awesome!

You download the song, fire up the game all excited, and then realise it's just some rubbish half-assed import of a rubbish half-assed tab someone found somewhere on the internet and quickly put here without even playing it. It's not useful for learning(!), it's not fun to play and it doesn't sound good. Got your hopes up for nothing. 

First world problems, I know. But there are some options that might be worth trying if we'd like more consistent quality:

1) Some kind of a rating system. It should allow a fresh rating if the file gets updated.

2) A jury to select the absolutely best, near-perfect files for people to enjoy in some kind of top songs list. (May not be 100% fair to charters, but ensures a good amount of easy-to-find quality content for users.)

3) A "workshop" type of place which would have the tracks that are still "in progress". They'd need to get somehow verified in order to get to the database (and could be downvoted back). Everyone could still browse the "in progress" type tracks, help to complete them with feedback etc, but there would also be an option to hide them from search.

The purpose here would be not only to filter out junk, but also to appreciate hard work! Currently the really good customs get mixed among the average ones and are easy to miss.

Unless you're making a tab from scratch and/or not bothering to sync it at least a little bit, it will most likely be useful for learning still (CDLC without tones' aren't the most fun but you can still learn).

1 is not a good solution because it tends to favor popular songs and one click ratings tend to not convey a ton. Also can be easily abused.

2 is cool, but we already have this sort of going around with the forum right now. There are quite a few threads with people's favorite DLCs, etc.

3 : Cool again, but a lot of work and the verification process could take a ton of man power. Think about it, you have to download the tab, make sure its in sync/correct notes. You're pretty close to remaking the song at this point.

At this point I'm a fan of just having a "favorite CDLC thread". If you really like the way a DLC was made you can always thank it or post a comment letting the author know how much you enjoyed.

I think it just comes down to human nature.  Some people want to put out as much cdlc as possible, as if there is some sort of glory to that, so they spend very little time perfecting it.  Others want quality.  I've got to a point where I only play my songs or the songs of creators that do good work, and a lot of my shit still needs to be revised.  I think since there is no incentive to do good, many people will do the minimum.  I agree with @@Byproduct, it sucks when you load up a song you've been looking forward to and it's unplayable.  Often tones are bad, volumes are way too high on tones, and there are obvious wrong notes, all signs that someone didn't take the time to test it.  You can't stop humans from being humans.

I think it just comes down to human nature.  Some people want to put out as much cdlc as possible, as if there is some sort of glory to that, so they spend very little time perfecting it.  Others want quality.  I've got to a point where I only play my songs or the songs of creators that do good work, and a lot of my shit still needs to be revised.  I think since there is no incentive to do good, many people will do the minimum.  I agree with @@Byproduct, it sucks when you load up a song you've been looking forward to and it's unplayable.  Often tones are bad, volumes are way too high on tones, and there are obvious wrong notes, all signs that someone didn't take the time to test it.  You can't stop humans from being humans.

Correct, no one gets paid for this, we all do things to our own satisfaction here. The thing is, having a crappy CDLC doesn't prevent someone else from making a better version. So if you've been looking forward to playing that song, you can always make it yourself. 

• Like 1

@zerkz  Agreed.  Some people have "gobbled" up a lot of the "popular" songs quickly and they deserve to be redone.  I think multiple versions of a song are a good thing.  I've also seen people put out a new version of a song, then the old creator immediately updates their version.  Too bad it takes a little dent in their pride to make them improve their content. 

• Like 1