Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 48

Mortalo

Holy Wars by Megadeth for Bass MC -- I tried that one earlier and it puts the M in MC for sure...  In my trial run on it (some number of weeks ago), I got a very sloppy/lucky 93% accuracy.  Definitely didn't sound 93% as good as the recording though.  :)

Will be a fun challenge to see if I can eke out some improvement there even though realistically I'm not in that league yet.  But, I've noticed that for me at least, playing easy songs all day long does result in noticeable improvement in skill ... but slowly.  On the other hand, bearing down and fighting my way through a couple of hours of riff repeater on something HARD feels like it develops my skills much faster.  Maybe not fast enough to make that HARD song seem easy (or even easier than it was), but it seems like everything else gets easier.

In championship class terms, I probably would have been in the beginner-intermediate range a year ago when I picked up Rocksmith.  Looking back, I'd say that spending about a week grinding away at "More Than a Feeling" by Boston was a major milestone for me that I think I owe a lot of my improvement (self-evaluated) to.

Maybe in the future I'll look back on a week of Holy Wars as another milestone!   B)

I'll try out all the songs and post back with difficulty ratings when I get some free time today (although I've got about 6 hours of teaching / tutoring ahead of me before I can get to it).

• Like 1

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

@@MilkmanDan I found that hard a song like it was guitar path Metallica at last week, decrease my quality of play. For  good recognition i very slightly used palm muting and had terrible timing and all sounds enough crap. I play other a song and heard, that total sounds decreased quality of sound. Such a song good only for speed skill, but not for quality learning techniques. (It only my opinion) 

• Like 2

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

lil +

walking%20b3.jpg?psid=1

• Like 3

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

piece by piece on tha lead...

dig%20l4.jpg?psid=1

• Like 1

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-

maybe the last score for the week....

should give the classmates at least some work :P

dig%20l5.jpg?psid=1

• Like 2

Beginner Bass - 97.37%, 151 streak

I didn't tuned well for that playtrough.

Intermediate Bass - 99.43%, 416 streak

Fun song to play.

• Like 2

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

@@MilkmanDan I found that hard a song like it was guitar path Metallica at last week, decrease my quality of play. For  good recognition i very slightly used palm muting and had terrible timing and all sounds enough crap. I play other a song and heard, that total sounds decreased quality of sound. Such a song good only for speed skill, but not for quality learning techniques. (It only my opinion) 

I dunno about the lead and rhythm parts, but I think I can relate somewhat on the bass part also.  Rocksmith's detection for bass is overall pretty good, but detection of correct timing of fast-tempo notes is a pretty big weak spot.  For long sections of the rapid-fire quarter, eighth, or sixteenth notes in a fast tempo song, I find that the game is a bit overly forgiving with timing.  I'll usually get credit for hitting the notes unless I'm WAY out of sync.

So, in those cases I guess we definitely have to rely on our ears to tell us just how much stock we should put in the game telling us that we've got 99% accuracy, or whatever.  Comparing score attack scores with the other players here in the championship can be good also.  Abusing the forgiving detection on fast songs like that definitely can build some bad habits, but as long as we put more stock into how we think we sound rather than just going by accuracy rating (at least in terms of our own personal evaluation) I think that there is still skill to be gained/improved by working on the songs that are mainly challenging just from the speed/tempo.

But I'd agree that more *technically* challenging songs (like "More than a Feeling" that I mentioned before) are better for improving overall skills for sure.

• Like 1

Milkman Dan

Had a quick play last night, this is my first entry. Hoping to get 97%+ this week though the fast part of the solo can be difficult with those quick bends. Also interesting to see 24th notes for once. If anyone has tone suggestions feel free to let me know, I'm crap at making tones but it doesn't seem too bad on this one.

http://i.imgur.com/8HZDNIS.png

Just for giggles I tried Rhythm for the first time.

http://i.imgur.com/ODOW4uC.png

• Like 2
Gear:

Chapman ML-1, Blackstar HT1

My systems: 

Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 2666MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1333MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | Arch Linux

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=317161735

almost there. if I get 100% I might give the Megadeth track a go... it's only right I at least try :)

• Like 2

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

Busy start of the week, but I got around to trying the songs.  Here's my thoughts on bass difficulty and first try scores:

Biblical - Biffy Clyro: Beginner Bass

2014-09-22_184129.jpgNice song.  I wasn't as bad as the score would indicate, I just didn't give my bass enough time to settle in to Eb Drop Db and the detection was horrendous.  

Difficulty:  2  --  Pretty straightforward throughout.  Slides and a bit more shifting stuff make it harder than Black Magic, but solidly fits in the Beginner bracket.

Dig Up Her Bones - The Misfits: Intermediate Bass

2014-09-22_182201.jpgAnother 1st try 100%, although if it had been score attack it would show that I definitely could use a few more runs to improve timing.

Difficulty:  3-4  --  Limited shifting and string skipping, all confined to a standard small range.  I think this one could be a higher-level Beginner song, or a low-level Intermediate.  The toughest part of it is the sheer number of notes; nothing really fast or really technical.  But, another fun and nice sounding song.

Walking in the Shadow of the Blues - Whitesnake:  Advanced Bass

2014-09-22_182721.jpgI should have had the 100%, got butterfingers.  I'll try again in Score Attack when I get the chance!

Difficulty:  4-5  --  Relatively straightforward throughout; nothing too technical or fast.  Fretboard shifting and string skipping all in the 5th and octave type jumps that should be learned pretty early on.  I think this would best fit as an Intermediate song on Bass, but in the selections this week I agree with pegging it as the 2nd hardest and therefore Advanced.

Holy Wars... The Punishment Due - Megadeth:  MC Bass

2014-09-22_183504.jpgThis was my 2nd playthrough of the song, 1st was a couple weeks ago.  Guess I was off my game compared to then.

Difficulty:  10  --  This song is out of my league.  Mainly due to the sheer speed plus fast string skipping and precisely spaced fretboard shifts requiring lightning quick reflexes and jumps.  HOWEVER, if you ignore the intro and outro, the middle of the song is actually significantly easier.  Not *easy*, but easier.  So, if you load up the song and give up in the first few bars ... try again!  Should be fun to see who can pull off the win this week.

It won't be me -- I'll be quite pleased if I can just break the 95% accuracy barrier!   :P

• Like 1

Milkman Dan

Beginner lead:

http://downloads.oddbeat.de/rocksmith_w48_bl.jpg

My first instincts were to play the power chords all with down strums, but that is freaking impossible. For me, at least :)

Since there's no intermediate rhythm this week, I tried both beginner and advanced. Beginner first:

http://downloads.oddbeat.de/rocksmith_w48_br.jpg

Advanced rhythm:

http://downloads.oddbeat.de/rocksmith_w48_ar.jpg

I did not play those chords as well and clean as Rocksmith thinks I did, so this score is a little better than my actual ability.

• Like 4

Rocksmith to Guitar Pro exporter: http://www.rocksmithtotab.de

Tried @@Nacholede 's version of Holy Wars:

2014-09-23_172304.jpgIt feels much more accurate to me.  Technically harder, but the accuracy made it "flow" better for me than the other version, so I got a much higher score on 1st run in this version than in either of my other 2 attempts on the other version.

I should play both versions on Riff Repeater with some heavy slowdown, but I really feel like the accents and fills of this one by Nacholede are great/correct and quite fun to play.

One negative thing that I noticed was that my game crashed if I tried to keep both files in my DLC directory (old version and new) and then selected the song.  Maybe a song ID conflict?  I had to remove them both and then put ONLY the one that I want to play in to get it to work.

• Like 2

Milkman Dan

Couldn't resist a try 2 in Score Attack before buckling down and doing Riff Repeater to try to get the fast bits figured out properly:

2014-09-23_194559.jpgLike I said before, this one just "flows" better so it feels easier to me even though it is doing more technical fills and accents throughout the song.  Tons of fun even though it is a tough challenge!

--EDIT--

Oops, I linked to the same screenshot as before.  Fixed!

• Like 2

Milkman Dan

And a Score Attack on the advanced song (bass):

2014-09-23_200155.jpgI was sure I had the 100% on that until I got to the end and it said 99.87%.  Must have missed one that I didn't see.  I'll probably try for the 100% a couple more times this week if I need a break from Holy Wars!

• Like 2

Milkman Dan

• Like 2

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures