What's Your Goal?

durdensbuddy

I was wondering if anyone here has some tangible goal for what they hope to achieve with their instrument?  For me, my goal was to get up on a local stage and play a few songs by the end of summer.  It doesn't look like I'm going to make that, but SOOOOON.  Beyond that, I just want to learn how to play, some theory of why to play and have a kickass time dropping low tones on people.

• Like 1

I have been playing bass for 20+ years and am ok at it. I can play most moderately difficult songs and a few tough ones. I even took a couple of years of jazz music theory lessons many years ago. But when I play songs that I only have a chord chart for, I can't do much more than "ride the root". It works, but isn't very interesting, and so it can be tough to jam and play songs that I can't find actual sheet music for. 

So, my big plan was to get RS and play every song I could get my hands on and pay attention to the keys in the songs and how the songs transition between sections and keys. That was before I even knew about CF. I've had the tool for about 9 months, and have spent many hours in-game and my playing has improved. I am getting a better sense for how the songs fit together and some ideas for how to play a bass line. For me, the in-game tools like the "band" are pretty much useless, and I am mostly just grabbing new songs that I like and playing everything I can.

Then I got into making customs so I could create some of the less popular songs that I still like, and that just slowed down my playing and distracted me from my goal. c'est la vie!

or as @@cstewart said ... I would like to suck less!

• Like 2

@trog, not sure if it's related but today was the first time I went for the mixer and set music to 75% with my bass at 100.  I managed to finally 100% Next Girl, I Wanna Rock and Gone Away.  Everything just flowed through me today, was AWESOME.  So Thanks!

I'll also apologize for the humble brag in there, wasn't really intential. 

• Like 2

Simple goal, to play left handed.

I used to play right handed many years ago but damaged my left hand and could no longer fret a barre. Several years later I bought a lefty but never got over the sounds of cats screwing that accompanies the beginner stage (strange how when you are younger you join a bans, jump on stage with a handful of chords and a couple of licks and entertain people for half an hour but wouldn't even think about it later in life) .

More years passed until my son asked me to teach him. Of course you can't teach if you can't play so I forced myself through the hump with him. Then RS2014 came out and made life so much easier for both of us. My daughter has also joined the party making it a family activity. This time around I am working on theory as well and I am picking up keyboard skills since I find it easier to put theory into practice on a keyboard then apply it to guitar/bass.

Now I play mostly bass (I find it more fun and unlearning right handed guitar that has burnt in is harder than learning finger style from scratch).

So my aim is to get back on stage (playing bass/guitar) and writing songs again. No time scale on this as I intend to enjoy the journey and family time.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Same as everyone else, just to get better. I've played on an off for 20+ years and haven't reached a level I'm happy with. RS is changing that. I'm playing songs I could never of thought I had the skill to play even 5 years ago. I'd like to get good enough to finally play in a band and do some gigs. 

• Like 1

I've been playing guitar and then bass (now about 99% bass) for coming up on about 20 years. I don't think I'll ever play in a "band" or in front of an audience, but I'm happy just playing for my own enjoyment and the best thing about Rocksmith for me is concrete evidence of my skills improving much faster than they did pre-Rocksmith.

That being said, I originally never thought that I'd play in front of *people*, period ... but now I take my bass, PC, and Rocksmith to the high school where I teach in Thailand and play songs for the kids while letting them sing along to the English lyrics (...it's educational!).  That is quite fun, so who knows ... maybe in another 10 years I'll be playing gigs or filling in if a local band is missing their bassist or something.  :)

• Like 4

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

Simple goal, to play left handed.

I used to play right handed many years ago but damaged my left hand and could no longer fret a barre. Several years later I bought a lefty but never got over the sounds of cats screwing that accompanies the beginner stage (strange how when you are younger you join a bans, jump on stage with a handful of chords and a couple of licks and entertain people for half an hour but wouldn't even think about it later in life) .

More years passed until my son asked me to teach him. Of course you can't teach if you can't play so I forced myself through the hump with him. Then RS2014 came out and made life so much easier for both of us. My daughter has also joined the party making it a family activity. This time around I am working on theory as well and I am picking up keyboard skills since I find it easier to put theory into practice on a keyboard then apply it to guitar/bass.

Now I play mostly bass (I find it more fun and unlearning right handed guitar that has burnt in is harder than learning finger style from scratch).

So my aim is to get back on stage (playing bass/guitar) and writing songs again. No time scale on this as I intend to enjoy the journey and family time.

Hey there, I too use to play right handed and had started playing in 2001 and taught myself how to play from guitar tabs never took a lesson. My biggest problem was when I played my left hand would get major cramps when I played alot of bar chords. But about 3 year's ago I lost my pinky, ring and middle finger and was pretty much screwed on ever playing right handed again hell I almost lost my index finger too but with alot of stitches and pins they saved it. So that left me my thumb and index finger. I traded all my guitar's and got some left handed ones and soon realized this was not gonna be an easy task. Until I found out about rocksmith which I had no idea existed so back in February of this year I got it and man how it has really helped. I also noticed that when I played bar chords I didn't cramp. I still have away to go but I have gotten close on a few songs at mastering them of course they were on rhythm but hey that was what I played mostly right handed rhythm with some lead mixed in, never really could do any solos but was on the verge of getting good up until I lost my fingers. But now I can play more solos now than my whole ten years before right handed and I have only been playing left handed 6 months. In another 1 to 2 years I will probably be playing really good can't wait. Only problem I have been having is my holding the pick. Use to be able to use my middle finger when I played right handed to keep my pick from spinning now that is absolutely not possible. I have tried picks that have ways of attaching to my finger but I have found them to be worthless. I do have a few ideas but will need some one with the right equipment on that but that's another topic, anyways losing my fingers I believe was a blessing in disguise because with my cramps I was never gonna go far but now nothing is holding me back. Never know where this will take me but I'm ready nd put every minute that I can into practicing. Just wanted to share after reading your post.

and thanks custom forge. Next would love to learn how to build custom songs looks fun.

• Like 1

Hey there, I too use to play right handed and had started playing in 2001 and taught myself how to play from guitar tabs never took a lesson. My biggest problem was when I played my left hand would get major cramps when I played alot of bar chords. But about 3 year's ago I lost my pinky, ring and middle finger and was pretty much screwed on ever playing right handed again hell I almost lost my index finger too but with alot of stitches and pins they saved it. So that left me my thumb and index finger. I traded all my guitar's and got some left handed ones and soon realized this was not gonna be an easy task. Until I found out about rocksmith which I had no idea existed so back in February of this year I got it and man how it has really helped. I also noticed that when I played bar chords I didn't cramp. I still have away to go but I have gotten close on a few songs at mastering them of course they were on rhythm but hey that was what I played mostly right handed rhythm with some lead mixed in, never really could do any solos but was on the verge of getting good up until I lost my fingers. But now I can play more solos now than my whole ten years before right handed and I have only been playing left handed 6 months. In another 1 to 2 years I will probably be playing really good can't wait. Only problem I have been having is my holding the pick. Use to be able to use my middle finger when I played right handed to keep my pick from spinning now that is absolutely not possible. I have tried picks that have ways of attaching to my finger but I have found them to be worthless. I do have a few ideas but will need some one with the right equipment on that but that's another topic, anyways losing my fingers I believe was a blessing in disguise because with my cramps I was never gonna go far but now nothing is holding me back. Never know where this will take me but I'm ready nd put every minute that I can into practicing. Just wanted to share after reading your post.

and thanks custom forge. Next would love to learn how to build custom songs looks fun.

• Like 1

For me I want to play in a band but that is very much a long time goal. I have played trombone for almost 9 years now and have only gotten in to bass over the past year. The only goal a musician can really strive for is to suck less lol.

@@Thomas Miller I haven't even been at this very long and I can't imagine switching hands. Thank god they saved that index! Good look on the journey.

I've already accomplished the first goal I had when I set out on my guitar journey: I just wanted to understand melody. I've been a drummer for ten years and anything to do with rhythm I've got down pat, but I've always had melodic ideas that I simply couldn't transcribe. Nowadays, if I hear notes in my brain, my fingers just know where to go, and I can actualize my musical thoughts on guitar almost as easily as on drums. It's something that seemed impossible 2 years ago, but Rocksmith has done such a good job of getting me good that I can write melodies in no time flat now.

My next goal is to get on a stage. I've been on stages before, but it's always been behind a drum kit. Lately I'm playing and singing pretty damn well, so I figure if I write some music and wrangle some more musicians, this dream could become reality real soon!

Gamut now active again on Youtube!

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Come join us in the Rocksmith Championship!

Always just wanted to play, I'd played flute and clarinet and used to be able to play by ear as well as read music but I'm having to relearn all that now as after 20 odd years of not reading music or playing flute/clarinet it got forgotten and didn't transcribe to bass playing as easily as I had hoped.

I'd played badly on guitar for 20-odd years, I knew 1 song all the way through (everybody hurts - R.E.M, which as you can imagine, went down REALLY unwell at parties.) and the beginning of Extreme's More than words (great for a guy wanting to get to third base with a girl... not so much the other way round) and the intro to Metallica's The Unforgiven. Guaranteed, my more competent friend, would whip the guitar out of my hands before I even got a chance to show anyone I could play 1 WHOLE song and jam off Skunk Anansi's weak as I am, singing it too, she's awesome :). So yeah, I got in to bass instead, because NO-ONE WANTS to grab the bass off you and jam out "YZZ"! :) I discovered from playing Rockband that I was more suited to bass playing and for a couple of years I just watched youtube videos of other people playing bass and kind of subliminally taught myself. I'd go to sleep imagining holding a bass and playing songs I loved (probably incorrectly) but one day, almost 2 years ago, my lovely other half bought me a bass guitar and Rocksmith for the playstation and I've played the damn thing nearly every single day (apart from 4 days I was in hospital after #2 son was born). Last Chrimbo I got RS2014 for my PC (prefer PC's to consoles) and this year I'm going to be getting a classical electric guitar for my pressie :) 

I want to be proficient I don't want to suck less, I want to ROCK MORE! 

I would love to one day be in a band but I'd love to teach my sons how to play, more.

• Like 2

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

I have stared fooling around with building custom cdlc songs for personal preference to what isn't on custom forge. I haven't completely finalized one yet and am trying to do this one hit wonder band oleander "why I'm here". It's definitely harder than I thought but I'm determined. From someone who barely knows his way around the computer even harder. I have watched tutorials on how to do this, and most give you the steps but there is alot of things that are a language I have no idea what this or that means. I do believe though it will help with my having a key ear for music and identifying tones in a song. What I would like to ask is if anyone knows of any good tutorials that maybe I possibly have not ran across yet. Like maybe some steps on understanding the details and understanding what the details mean. Like why changing milliseconds does and how it works and etc.

I have found this site this best site I have ever messed with everyone is awesome and seem to want to help. I have made my contributions and will continue to do so and can't wait till I am able to put one of my cdlc on custom forge.

There is no limit as to what you can learn from here and I understand that it's really all about what u want to learn and how determined you are.

I battle from bipolar depression and this place "custom" forge is my medicine and has truly helped out with that, so thank you custom forge, for giving this to those who want it or need it.

Even if this site required a subscription it would be well worth it. But I understand why it's free and why it needs to be and therefore will continue my donations so that this will always be available.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My goal? Honestly, my goal is to enjoy playing, and if I improve some more in the process, that's just icing on the cake. I have no real goals with regards to playing and Rocksmith aside from that, and that's fine by me. I was damned good once, and I'm starting to trend toward being even better now than I was then; I'll simply have to see where it goes, if it goes anywhere at all.

• Like 2

My goal is to be able to play the melodies I hear in my head without much thinking about it. But this will take time. The goal on the mean time would be to be able to play some of my favorite solos. But this will take time. The goal before that would be to suck less.