How do I make distortion? (Other Questions too)

Noob gaming

So my questions are...

1. How do I make a distortion for a song? Right now I'm currently making a full band CDLC for the first time ever using EOF of course. And I'm wondering how I get distortions on this? 

2. How do I add sections in EOF? (So you can riff repeat) 

3. How do I add vocals? 

4. Is there an easy way to make difficulty settings? (I want to make Very easy, easy, medium, hard and Amazing of course is the one I'm starting on. But I meant, is there a way to copy and paste my Amazing track into easy, medium etc... so I can just delete a line at a time to make the difficulty easier?)

5. Once I've completed this, I got the difficult job of finding out what gear Judas Priest use for their song... I need to know what sort of gear they use, amp, cabinet, pedal, and stuff. How do I find this out? (Besides looking at live shows, I have Sonic songs I want to make a CDLC of that I need to know what gear/BPM and stuff they use) 

Thanks in advance. I'm having trouble making CDLC's still... but I nailed the BPM on this song! 

I think it's in sync.

164 BPM for those wondering. 

Also I suck at playing Electric Guitar. And this song has 2 Rythyms and 2 Lead guitars... so look out for the Bonus Lead and Bonus Rythym? (Not sure if bonus ryrthym exists, but please let me know if there is) 

1) Creating the perfect tone(s) for your CDLC is probably the hardest part (after tabbing a song by listening) for creating a good CDLC.

Your best choice is to look for similar songs with the same sound effects. We already have 29 Judas Priest CDLC, so maybe you can find your tones there. You can use "import package" in the Toolkit to load up a psarc file and get acces to its tones.

The next option is to use the ingame tone creator and just try and error until you find the sound you are looking for.

2) In EOF, go to "Beat"->"Rocksmith"->"Place RS Section"

I guess you already looked at some tutorials and videos. Look again and you will find out more about that, e.g. every section must have at least one phrase... use phrases to mark repeating patterns...

3) Again, there are a couple of tutorials. But you want to start with the software "UltraStar Creator" to create a .txt file that can be imported into EOF

4) In the Toolkit, use the DDC (Dynamic Difficulty Creator) - it does all the work for you, you only have to create the "amazing" difficulty! Look for tutorials on how to get the best results with the DDC!

5) This is the same as 1)

6) Yes, you can add both bonus lead and rhythm ;-) You can use all the "PART REAL_*" tracks in EOF to chart your arrangements and assign the correct path in the Toolkit

For checking your syncing:

- Make sure that you do not drag individual notes, they should be snapped to the beat markers

- You can use zoom in EOF to have a better control over where you drag the beat marker

- Use slow playback speed(e.g. 25%) and acitvate clap (press "c") to check whether individual notes are realy perfect in sync. Check throughout the song, not only the beginning!

In general:

Try to read all of the tuturials. When you read one that doesn't seem interesting for you, try to get an overview of what it is about... this way you will remember it when you get to the point where you need a certain feature (good example is the Tech Notes Tutorial... it takes a while until you realize why you need them^^)

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

here are all the tutorials:

http://customsforge.com/forum/78-tutorials/

For example:

Tone creation process:

http://customsforge.com/topic/2027-tone-creation-process-for-rocksmith-2014/

Tech Notes:

http://customsforge.com/topic/890-tech-notes-tutorial-authoring-complex-bends-and-more/

Syncing and sections

http://customsforge.com/topic/10520-creating-cdlc-tutorial-making-sections/

http://customsforge.com/topic/856-tutorial-for-proper-gp-tab-sync-sectionphrase-authoring-and-more/

Lyrics / vocals

http://customsforge.com/topic/11210-lyric-tutorial/

Another thing about the BPM:

EOF allows more than full numbers (in contrast to e.g. TuxGuitar). This means that the true BPM for your song could be 164.18 instead of your 164.00

With a song a couple of minutes long, this makes a difference towards the end ;-)

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Read through those:

http://customsforge.com/topic/5099-how-to-sync-your-beat-map/

http://customsforge.com/topic/5136-using-beat-markers-to-sync-in-eof/

http://customsforge.com/topic/2393-how-to-get-beat-map/

http://customsforge.com/topic/856-tutorial-for-proper-gp-tab-sync-sectionphrase-authoring-and-more/

There are a lot of songs with changing BPM, especially older ones... and to be honest, this sucks if it is your first custom.

What can do is move the beat map around and change the bpm locally. When you spot a change of bpm you set an anchor on that beat. This way changes made after the anchor will not affect what you have done before the anchor. You need a new anchor for every bpm change. People have developed different styles to deal with this, so read the tutorials above

I don't understand... none of those helped. I'm stuck on the part where my song is just all over the place. Some BPM's are 164, and others are something random. Unedited. 

Did you watch this basic video-tutorial?

http://customsforge.com/topic/11305-creating-cdlc-tutorial-full-process-simplified/

You have to get used to EOF until you understand the tutorial I already mentioned:

http://customsforge.com/topic/5099-how-to-sync-your-beat-map/

It tells you how you have to deal with the changing BPMs and I cannot explain it in more detail...

Now I've got another problem... I've started over, and the GP is too long for this song... 164 bpm is what the song's BPM is

There is a simple reason for this: When you start over, the default BPM is 120. This default speed is slower than 164, therefore the song ends before all the notes could be pasted.

In this case you have to change the BPM in EOF before importing from the GP-file.

... But this is something you could have found out easily on your own by experimenting with EOF...

So please, before you continue asking such basic questions, make sure you watch some tutorials and play around on your own.

Also it might be better for you to start with a song with constant bpm. For example, watch the video above and try to sync the very same song. You don't have to go through the complete process of producing the CDLC, but try to get to the point where everything is synced in EOF. This will teach you a lot and save you some frustration!

I appear to have fixed it? Only fewer parts are out of sync, but the rest is fine. I'm just stuck on what to use for the cabinets/amps. I found what they are, but when I load them in game, they are... not right?

They don't sound like metal to me. Despite changing settings. Other than that, I got it working. This is my 5th CDLC, the other 4 I made failed, but one I'm still working on ^_^ 

... I'm just stuck on what to use for the cabinets/amps. I found what they are, but when I load them in game, they are... not right?...

Cabinets/amps are only part of the tone. They will only give you a clean sound for the guitar. You have to figure out what set to use for the base sound, then add "pedal" effects to refine the tone to the sound you want.  Don't try to match the real cabinets and amps that they use in real life - it probably won't work. You need to go based on the sound, and not the look.  Just try different combinations until you get a sound that is close.

Metal sounds usually use a combination of Distortion, Overdrive and Chorus or Reverb in addition to the cabinets. You also have to figure out if the original song uses more treble, mid-range or bass because most songs use a different amount of equalizer. But start with the major effects first like Distortion, etc and get the rough sound close before you try to fine-tune it with equalizers.

Also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, and you probably know this, but I'll state it again anyway. The way to build tones for your CDLC is to use RS, not the toolkit.  First, go into Rocksmith and go into the tone generator. Select your cabinets/amps first and then add the effects, one at a time and set the settings for each to get your tone closer to the sound you want. When your tone is the way you want it, write down each of the different effects, cabinet and amp and all the parameters for each. Then go into the toolkit and create a new tone and add all of the effects and set all of the parameters to exactly what you used in RS. It is much easier to try the sounds in Rocksmith and fine-tune the tone and get it right than it is to just guess and repackage in the toolkit every time you make a change.

Creating tones takes lots of time and LOTS of experimenting. If you really want to match tones, it is not likely something that you will do in a matter of minutes.

I hope that helps.  Good luck!

Uh, I did all that before you even commented. You must have mis-read. I got everything correct but it my tone in game sounded like bass tones... yet, the British Steel album uses the same tone all the way through I think. Pretty annoying though. And some settings are incorrect due to the dumbass interface. 50 khz/100 khz etc... stuff like that. But it goes to a range which isn't even listed by Toolkit, and that's probably part of the problem. 

Some of the interface is screwed up in Toolkit GUI. 

When your tone is the way you want it, write down each of the different effects, cabinet and amp and all the parameters for each. Then go into the toolkit and create a new tone and add all of the effects and set all of the parameters to exactly what you used in RS.

You don't even have to do that. In the Toolkit, you can import the file that ends on "_prfldb" from the folder "Steam\userdata\XXXXXXX\221680\remote". Gives you the same result, but much faster ;-)

But it goes to a range which isn't even listed by Toolkit, and that's probably part of the problem. Some of the interface is screwed up in Toolkit GUI. 

If you think there is a problem with the Toolkit, you should post it in the according forum.

• Like 1

You don't even have to do that. In the Toolkit, you can import the file that ends on "_prfldb" from the folder "Steam\userdata\XXXXXXX\221680\remote". Gives you the same result, but much faster ;-)

Thanks for the tip! I figured there was a way, but never found it. That will save a little tedious transcribing.

First thing: When you write "not yet tested", does that mean that you did not start it up once in Rocksmith before you uploaded it?

Well... that shouldn't become a habit... CDLC can freeze Rocksmith and so forth! If you want other to TEST your work, then you should post in the Workshop. The Database is for stuff that is finished, or at least well tested...

Second thing: I hate to be the one to tell you this, but this song already exists as an official DLC:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/206127/

This means you are not allowed to post it here on Customsforge. Of course no one can stop you from using it yourself, and hopefully you did learn a lot in the process.

• 3 weeks later...
1. How do I make a distortion for a song? Right now I'm currently making a full band CDLC for the first time ever using EOF of course. And I'm wondering how I get distortions on this? 

An easy way is use Rocksmith Toolkit and "Import Package" on a CDLC (on a p.psarc in your DLC folder) you already have that has close tone.  Double click the tone you want and save it in a folder.  I save mine in RsCustoms\Tones

2. How do I add sections in EOF? (So you can riff repeat) 

Answered above... and also a lot of Tabs already have Sections which EoF can import for you.

3. How do I add vocals? 

http://rocksmithcustoms.wikispaces.com/

4. Is there an easy way to make difficulty settings? (I want to make Very easy, easy, medium, hard and Amazing of course is the one I'm starting on. But I meant, is there a way to copy and paste my Amazing track into easy, medium etc... so I can just delete a line at a time to make the difficulty easier?)

Already answered... if you chart very very close to being in time rocksmith toolkit DDC tab will do the rest.

5. Once I've completed this, I got the difficult job of finding out what gear Judas Priest use for their song... I need to know what sort of gear they use, amp, cabinet, pedal, and stuff. How do I find this out? (Besides looking at live shows, I have Sonic songs I want to make a CDLC of that I need to know what gear/BPM and stuff they use) 

For tones see above.  For BPM:  http://songbpm.com/ if it's a popular MP3 if not use http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm start the song and tap a key on your keyboard for each beat for a few mins and it will give you avg BPM.

• 3 months later...