Sound quality

unclemiller

Question

Ok, Here's a long shot hope at finding a solution to my problem. For the last several months my audio in RS2014 has been slowly fading. What I am saying is that with no other changes in my computer or stereo receiver I have been constantly having to turn up the volume in order to hear while playing the game. This only occurred in RS2014. My computer games and movies and I-Tunes and all other audio is fine. I thought that maybe my onboard audio was having issues with RS2014 so I decided to get a dedicated sound card. That's where it went downhill. Audio is great in everything except RS2014. Now my problem is ear piercing noise/feedback/static during RS2014 startup and the in-game/menu sounds are distorted and are playing at what seems to be 1/3 speed. Really frustrating. I did a file verification for RS2014 and it found 17 corrupt files. I updated Steam and RS2014 but I still have the same issue. I wish I could record the sounds to show exactly what is going on. Anybody have a clue? I'm sure it could be anything, but it is only happening with RS2014. 

Windows 7 64 bit w/ Asus Xonar 5.1 PCI sound going to a 2 channel stereo receiver w/ an external equalizer

Uncle

5 answers to this question

All I know is RS2014 really likes your input/output devices to be set to Exclusive. Make sure you don't have a microphone on, wireless or otherwise which could cause feedback. Check your sample/bit rate as well. If you ever find RS2014 bugging you about how your volume is low, open up Recording Devices (by right clicking the speaker icon in your system tray) and make sure your "Level" for your tone cable is turned up. I find the volume level resets everytime I plug the tone cable into a different USB port, and I need to manually raise it again.
Not sure this info will help anyone at all, but I've gone through my own troubleshooting steps to resolve my issues with RS. I've had issues trying to use a USB mixer on my end (Rane TTM57SL), and eventually ran a cable from my onboard sound output to a channel on the mixer. Also, I've noticed sound issues at a friend's house which must be related to something else on his circuit or whatever power bar we were using. As soon as I get home, no more issues with my RS2014 audio quality. Let me know if the problem comes back!

I've got the Asus Xonar and didn't have any problems except now I play Rocksmith on 75% volume instead of 40% with the onboard audio.  I've always found the best fix when goofy stuff starts to happen because of corrupted files is to uninstall and reinstall RS2014 via Steam.  Just make sure you backup your DLC folder first.

Thanks for the replies. If anybody would be so kind as to post their audio setups in-game and audio setups for Windows 7 I would really appreciate that. I was playing last night and noticed that all my tones seemed to be really low. A big change from when I was using on-board audio to now using my Asus Xonar PCI 5.1 card. Every time I tune the bass it tells me my volume is really low. I've got all my volume knobs turned up on the bass and tone knob is up as well. My in-game tone cable volume is 7.0dB. Under Windows 7 my recording level is set at 100 for the tone cable. Well, playing a few songs this morning didn't go well. The same song I played last night is now really low on tone and on another song everything went dead as in none of the notes being recognized. I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and things started working. Both songs played but with weird tones. I'm thinking of re-installing the game. Every time I do a file integrity check there are several files that are bad. RS2014 is turning out be a real pain for buggyness compared to how bad RS2012 was. 

Thanks,