Lyric tutorial!

SmellyOrc

So, I keep seeing songs where the lyrics do not have sustain, the words are not properly synced or are not broken up in syllables.

Let's fix that!

What you need:

Ultrastar Creator: http://sourceforge.net/projects/usc/

EoF (duh)

The lyrics for the song

Got it? Let's start.

1) Open USC.

2) Click on the folder icon next to "mp3" to load the mp3

3) Select the language of the song (required), and fill in the artist/title (optional)

4) Copy and paste the lyrics into the nice, big white box (something something that's what she said)

5) Press the highlighted button that says abc-def:

http://thumbnails112.imagebam.com/34888/44d592348875521.jpg

This splits the words into syllables

6) This function is far from perfect. Check every word/syllable and make sure it is correct.

7) Done? Good.

8) Set playback speed to something lower than 100%. I've seen your lyrics. You're not that great of a timer. Save yourself some syncing trouble and set it slower. Go on, we'll wait.

9) Press play

10a) Sync it by pressing the spacebar.

10b) Here's the PRO TIP: Add sustain to the syllable or word by HOLDING DOWN THE DAMN SPACEBAR.

11) Done? ARE YOU SURE YOU ADDED SUSTAIN?

12) Do it again. Add the sustain this time, bastard.

13) Save the .txt file

14) Open your project file in EoF

15) Go to Song -> Track -> Part Vocals

16) Click on File -> Lyric Import

17) Import said lyric

18) You see these words? Think of them as notes. But instead of notes, they're words. But think of them as notes. With words.

19) Get your clap on (press c, insert joke here)

20) Play the song, check sync and sustain.

21) Something wrong? Select the word/syllable, and move it around just as you would a note. See #18. Same thing with the sustain.

ARE YOU SURE YOU ADDED SUSTAIN?

22) In order to get dem nice linebreaks in the game, we have to mark the lines. So select the words that make a good line with ctrl or shift, press ctrl + m and BOOM! We are off!

23) You can check your lines in the info window when you're playing the song. That is what it will look like in the game

• Like 9

I like this one :-) (are you reeeeealy sure you added sustain?)

I suggest changing #2 into "Load up the .ogg that EOF produced when you added the leading silence".

My experience is that when you load the lyrics.txt in EOF that is synced to the original mp3, while you already have leading silence in EOF, all lyrics will be off by that amount of time.

And I think for most people adding the lyrics is one of the last steps, when leading silence is already included.

• Like 1

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

I like this one :-) (are you reeeeealy sure you added sustain?)

I suggest changing #2 into "Load up the .ogg that EOF produced when you added the leading silence".

My experience is that when you load the lyrics.txt in EOF that is synced to the original mp3, while you already have leading silence in EOF, all lyrics will be off by that amount of time.

And I think for most people adding the lyrics is one of the last steps, when leading silence is already included.

Agreed. I already do that, as you'll see in the video. I did not include that in the post, because I can not fix retarded. :)

I would like to add that Lyrics (or Vocal track) don't have to be limited to song texts.

Depending on free space it may be use to :

- identify charter, version, credits, day of release , tabber ...

- give instructions how to play a set of notes that RS doesn't display (i.e up/down strums ...)

- give information about bonus tracks or techniques (i.e in exercises, ...)

as there is no other way to display those.

I mean of course at the beginning or end of song without interfering with Lyrics , or if it is instrumental only.

When adding Lyrics directly in EOF, it's easy to write more words in a bloc, but it's recommended to reserve one word per bloc to get a good spacing between texts in RS.

Edited by TomSawyer2112

I would like to add that Lyrics (or Vocal track) don't have to be limited to song texts.

Depending on free space it may be use to :

- identify charter, version, credits, day of release , tabber ...

- give instructions how to play a set of notes that RS doesn't display (i.e up/down strums ...)

- give information (i.e in exercises, about techniques ...)

Plz no.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Great tutorial man, made me laugh :D

12) cracked me up :D

I got a question though, see in the vid when you (oe whoever) is moving the words around, is that the word sustain at the bottom moving with it - they grey shaded area?

What's the blue line at the top for?  That doesn't move when you move the words about?

Every word in the blue line comes out as a single line in RS2014. You can make those blue lines by selecting the words that you want RS2014 to show as one line, and then pressing ctrl + m.

The grey thingy at the bottom is the sustain of the word/syllable, that is correct.

Oh sweet man thanks :D

I've asked about that a few times and coudln't get an answer.  I normally try to tap as perfectly as possible in USC and stick the raw file into my customs.  Works pretty well now I have lots of practice, but there are times I'd love to just edit a couple of things manually in EoF.  I know what to do now :D

One suggestion as well...  can you mention that you can tap with your mouse?  I know space bar works but so does clicking the words with your mouse.

I much prefer using my mouse as the spacebar makes a hell of a noise getting zapped, and my mouse is a nice gaming mouse so it's well used to getting clicked rapid.  A lot of charters will be gamers of some sort and very used to using their mouse.

Thanks again man :D

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I know that this is old topic, but when I try to import lyrics to vocal part it just says "invalid lyrics file". What should I do? 

http://i.imgur.com/mqjd9u8.png

A przed waleniem konia
na miasto idę cipy węszyć,
psem jestem!

UTF-8 without BOM would work fine as long as there wasn't anything other than "normal" ASCII (ie. accented characters or non English character sets). The generic Notepad application that comes with Windows doesn't give lots of options, but if it will save in ANSI (the encoding drop down list in the Save As window) without error, then it should import alright.