Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 45

Mortalo

I think the intermediate rhythm arrangement this week is more beginner level...

I don't think I will try to improve this score, as any improvement would put me in master class next week, and that would just not work for me :) Though if you are already classifying the bass path separately, why not do the same for lead and rhythm?

http://downloads.oddbeat.de/rocksmith_w45_ir.jpg

• Like 1

Rocksmith to Guitar Pro exporter: http://www.rocksmithtotab.de

@@NoonyDeloony @ -

Nice scores on White Zombie both!  And you both mentioned sore arm / fighting stamina issues with the song.  This is going to sound crazy, but try the custom for Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce:

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/through-the-fire-and-flames-r2097

Guitar parts are pretty insane I assume, but the bass is actually pretty easy except for the pure speed and sections of doubletime strumming.  And that speed keeps you busy for the whole length of the song, over 7 minutes of alternate picking or developing lightning finger speed (I can't do fingers, gotta use pick for this fast).  But it is a fun 7+ minutes, and after a couple of weeks of playing it quite regularly I noticed that it massively improved my pick-hand stamina for fast songs.

Black Sunshine is much more difficult from a frethand perspective, but my right/pick hand hardly breaks a sweat after having used Through the Fire and Flames as sort of a go-to warmup song for a while.  :)

• Like 3

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

First Bass entries. I think DT needs to be MC over WZ but im not in that class so... Alot of moving on the fretboard on DT where WZ is just as we see:) very painful to play:) Regardless a very fine week to be a bass player.

WZ 91 - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=308666722

DT 88 - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=308666809

Blink(the true beginner song on bass) 97 - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=308666770

• Like 2

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

@@NoonyDeloony @ -

Nice scores on White Zombie both! And you both mentioned sore arm / fighting stamina issues with the song. This is going to sound crazy, but try the custom for Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce:

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/through-the-fire-and-flames-r2097

Guitar parts are pretty insane I assume, but the bass is actually pretty easy except for the pure speed and sections of doubletime strumming. And that speed keeps you busy for the whole length of the song, over 7 minutes of alternate picking or developing lightning finger speed (I can't do fingers, gotta use pick for this fast). But it is a fun 7+ minutes, and after a couple of weeks of playing it quite regularly I noticed that it massively improved my pick-hand stamina for fast songs.

Black Sunshine is much more difficult from a frethand perspective, but my right/pick hand hardly breaks a sweat after having used Through the Fire and Flames as sort of a go-to warmup song for a while. :)

As i can use some speed exercise thx for

the hint - am gonna check out the dragonguys!

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

Aye @, the fret hand is what I am suffering with too, I could probably do with some picking practice, but I am a plucker by nature, using a pick for me just feels weird. I will probably try @@MilkmanDan's suggestion just to learn how to pick :) I have just been trying to relax more when playing and apply less pressure, that's having a considerable amount of effect... Fret hand positioning, and changing the level of where the bass is on my body has helped too. This has definitely brought to light some bad habits I have picked up when it comes to proper technique but I have found a lot of stuff on various sites and you tube videos that , for once, don't give conflicting advice!

• Like 1

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

Ahh, interesting.  I very rarely feel frethand fatigue unless a song require me to contort the hand into shapes that feel uncomfortable, like trying to do chord shapes properly.  My pinkie finger is real close to useless for fretting, feels so clumsy, so I end up doing a lot of stuff that "should" be played with pointer / pinkie as pointer / ring instead with a quick shift up the fretboard thrown in.  That works OK enough for me most of the time, but not so much for most chord shapes, even very simple root + fifth stuff.

I should force myself to get better at using the pinkie correctly, but it is frustrating when a song that should be easy using my "workaround" becomes very hard and I sound like crap when trying to do it the right way.  But that is my excuse for playing with a pick all the time also...  I should stop being lazy and grab the bull by the horns.  :)

Tried Bass INT (Dream Theater) and BEG (Blink 182) today.  A cut on my finger is holding me back a bit, but anyway here's a 2nd try score on INT:

2014-09-01_155511.jpg

Beginner song by Blink 182 was once again my lowest score, 96 something because I had a brain fart and didn't move a chord section from D+G string to A+D string.  Didn't take a screenshot and probably won't go back to it again -- I'll focus on MC this week.

Just as a preview of how I'd subjectively rate these three songs in terms of bassline difficulty:

(score from 1-10, 1 being "Black Magic" and 10 being "YYZ" by Rush or "Hysteria" by Muse, + justification)

After Midnight - Blink 182

Bass difficulty: 3  --  Easy enough, but relatively fast tempo plus chord sections keeps it from being TOO easy

The Spirit Carries On - Dream Theater

Bass difficulty: 4 --  Most of the song is quite easy, but short sections of shifting and string switching make it just a bit tougher.  If this makes any sense, I think it would be easier to get 100% accuracy in this song than the Blink 182 song, but it would be easier to get 99%+ in that song than this one.

Black Sunshine - White Zombie

Bass difficulty: 7 --  Fast riffs repeated quickly, with some shifting and string variations.  BUT, you can keep a pretty static frethand position for most of the song, and most (all?) of the song is played on the E and A strings, which mitigates the difficulty some.

I'd say that I'd class anything from difficulty 1-3 as beginner, 4-7 as int, and 7-10 as MC.  So, maybe I'd say that the Blink 182 song is a slightly tough but solid fit for beginner, Dream Theater is an easyish int song, and Black Sunshine is an alright fit for MC although it could be a HARD int song if a really tough song had also been chosen.

Long story short(ish), I solidly agree with the how the 3 songs were re-classified for the bass portion of the challenge.  And I'm excited to see how that will free things up and make the selection process easier and more even for guitar AND bass in the future.  /salute to Mortalo and Motive for making that happen!

• Like 5

Milkman Dan

@@storm20200 I tryed now compare beg and int lead. And found that all correct. Of course it is personal feelings.

Definately feels like the hardest beg song since i am here, and rather easy int (esp. Rhy), but its perfectly ok, you are doing a worldclass job, thx again!

@@storm20200 - i love that part :) - 5 mins RR starting 100% diff, 60% speed w acceleration makes u nail it!

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-

Great post @@MilkmanDan, the 1-3, 4-6, 7-10 rating makes for very concise deciphering of the bass path song choices. I think there will definitely be less problems in the future choosing the correct category with your method :) 

• Like 1

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

I spend some time, whether to keep Black Sunshine or select other song, but when I noticed that it was selected by Begginer class participant I decided to go with that song. Just like with SoaD some weeks ago, way worse score on Blink then Zombie, so I felt it's ok for Int.

@@MilkmanDan Really nice.

@@NoonyDeloony, @@MilkmanDan, @@Tonedef - That's great that you want to help with deciding bass-class.There is new column for each song for it's bass level. When you check the song, put there your comment, with class you believe is right for that song (arguments why would be nice, though not needed, unless your opinion will differ then others). Don't forget to write your name, so we know who's opinion is that.

• Like 2

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

I'm forcing myself to use a pick! I am doing ok at 85% speed. I might push it to 90% but when it's upped to 95%, my motor skills up and leave me altogether :D . I don't know why exactly I'm not aufait with a pick, I have friends who are complete pick snobs and refuse to acknowledge that some songs just sound better with a pick (I digress, I am NOT one of those snobs, I envy bassists who can pick!) It's a fucking skill to master. I tip my hat to those who can use picks, because it's fecking hard!  :blink: Strangely, I have no bother with a pick and a classical or acoustic guitar... I think it's the distance between strings that throws me... It's like stumbling off the bottom step because Im thinking I've hit the ground :D

• Like 2

@@MilkmanDan I feel Dream Theater is harder than Zombie. Moving up and down the fret board is much easier for me personally than moving up and down the fret board while constantly changing strings also even though its a slower song.

I had a 89% on my first play through on Zombie and a 91% on my second. I have been playing the guitar less than a year and bass less than 3 months. Maybe its because I have 30 playthroughs on the lead section that I know the bassline better but I am a huge Dream Theater fan as well and know the songs quite well in my head.

Regardless its a fun week for bass players

• Like 1

the only way to exit....

blacksun%20l5.jpg?psid=1

I'm forcing myself to use a pick! I am doing ok at 85% speed. I might push it to 90% but when it's upped to 95%, my motor skills up and leave me altogether :D . I don't know why exactly I'm not aufait with a pick, I have friends who are complete pick snobs and refuse to acknowledge that some songs just sound better with a pick (I digress, I am NOT one of those snobs, I envy bassists who can pick!) It's a fucking skill to master. I tip my hat to those who can use picks, because it's fecking hard!  :blink: Strangely, I have no bother with a pick and a classical or acoustic guitar... I think it's the distance between strings that throws me... It's like stumbling off the bottom step because Im thinking I've hit the ground :D

I like the sound/tone that fingers generate more than a pick on most songs, but there are some songs where I do think that the pick produces a better tone -- so I also really admire bass players that have mastered both!

I can reverse-empathize with your trouble with a pick, I have the same problems when I try to use fingers...  Anything beyond a (pretty low) tempo/speed and I go into deer-in-the-headlights mode.  The most frustrating thing for me is that whenever I try to play with fingers, my *frethand* actually slips into clumsy-mode also.  I know that it should be able to handle the song, because if I break down and play with a pick I can handle it just fine -- but the extra brainpower spent on trying to control the fingers throws off my other hand also.

I should follow your method and play songs in riff repeater with the speed cranked down to practice.  Also need to build up the calluses on that hand -- I am so poor about practicing with them that even just 1 slow/easy song pretty much kills the ol' fingertips.  :)

• Like 1

Milkman Dan

@@MilkmanDan I feel Dream Theater is harder than Zombie. Moving up and down the fret board is much easier for me personally than moving up and down the fret board while constantly changing strings also even though its a slower song.

I had a 89% on my first play through on Zombie and a 91% on my second. I have been playing the guitar less than a year and bass less than 3 months. Maybe its because I have 30 playthroughs on the lead section that I know the bassline better but I am a huge Dream Theater fan as well and know the songs quite well in my head.

Regardless its a fun week for bass players

I agree -- I like all of the songs this week, all very different and all quite fun!  :)

The difficulty ratings are going to be pretty subjective, so it is good to hear your thoughts also.  How would you rank the three songs on a 1-10 scale?

This is just a guess, but I wonder if the difference in neck scale between a guitar and bass might in part be why the Dream Theater song feels tougher for you.  Since you are more used to the shorter neck of a guitar, the far-ranging shifting in the song would be a challenge.  Whereas the elements that make the White Zombie song seem more difficult to me (fast tempo and riff patterns in a relatively constant position on the neck) would be things that are emphasized in playing lead guitar and therefore translate better to a guitar player.  If so, maybe the Dream Theater song and stuff like that will feel easier for you as the neck scale on a bass gets more intuitive for you.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my backside...  :)

Milkman Dan

@@MilkmanDan  Sounds picked or fingered very depends from tones. I doing tones for picked bass with more filtering high frequency and it sounds enough good (of course if it good in all mix). Tone must be doing depending on the method of play. And i as guitar player have not problems with picked bass, for me it more easy most case (exclude strings skipping, but it is my total problem and for guitar too. Arpeggio with string skipping my weak point. 

• Like 2

blacksun%20l6.jpg?psid=1

.... piece by piece ...

should i really be able to exit on this one ???? Couldnt be any better song ...

Still doubt it heavily.... :wacko:

• Like 1

fxxx

midn%20B3.jpg?psid=1

• Like 4

Ok, so working from home today (not feeling 100%) and have a few minutes at lunchtime...

edit..

INT Rhythm..

99.65% with 255 streak.. Still didn't think I missed any?

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o680/Hostilian/Capture_zps9a1922c0.jpg

Previous pic was for......

INT Rhythm.. 99% with 273..

• Like 2

The only part i have any real problems with is the arpeggio like powerchords in the end. Other than that its just a few misses spread out over the song.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/maztor42/Rocksmith%20championship%202014/AfterMidnight9749_zpse4b8ee06.jpg

This week it would be good with another song with a little more difficulty. :)

• Like 2

Begginer Lead - 95%, 125 streak

MasterClass Bass - 94.76%, 153 streak

Yup, that's insteresting for fretting hand.

Intermediate Lead - 93.35%, 183

Intermediate Rhythm - 97.23, 77 streak

Begginer Bass - 95.36%, 181 streak

Not a fun of this song. I think I will stay with this scores.

Intermediate Bass - 96.96%, 97 streak

I should be better with fingering.

It's really easy and natural for me to alternate picking on bass, while with guitar I can't get hand with that.

• Like 2

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

@@MilkmanDan Going with your numbered system I would give both Zombie and DT a 7. They are both equally hard but for different reason, one may be hard for you but easier for me. MY frethand goes stupid when I play things like DT but Zombie is more my style of choice(even though I love DT) so the speed changes don't effect me as much as the constant up and down and all around of better bassists. I am much better on my pick hand than my fret hand as far as switching strings but you really need both for DT with using all 4 strings.

So both a solid 7 because if any harder of a bass song came on they could both be classed down but could serve as MC. ME getting 90's says its more Int though.

• Like 2

For me I'm more likely to 100% DT in Hard mode due to the slow pace of the song, but I'd struggle getting to 100 with WZ due to the pace, though I agree with @@Tonedef, it's a style I prefer to play. Committing WZ to memory I'd have no problem with because of it's repetitive nature but committing DT to memory would take me a lot longer than a week. Tonedef hit the nail on the head, with his comment "They are both equally hard but for different reason." a very valid point indeed.

• Like 1