Am i crazy for doing this?

nak_muay

Upgrading my pickups on my Gibson Les Paul Studio to the new Dimarzio Titan pickups which sound insanely good. 

basically i want to sound like jake bowen from his band periphery.

i recently found out that my Les Paul doesn't have its original pickups that is mainly why i am doing this. But i still want peoples feed back off of this. Will i still get that sound i want with these bad boy pickups  

• Like 1

To save yourself a fortune on getting another amp and cab and a shedload of pedals you'll be better off getting a multi-effects processor like the Line6 POD HD500X, particularly if you're planning on doing any gigs. No need to do your back in transporting them to and fro and, most importantly, you won't be limiting your tone to just his. If you have a gig just turn up with it and plug it straight into the PA. Job done.

That's assuming that the Line6 POD HD500X has the exact same amp, cab and effects that he uses of course.

You can pick one up for around £430.

Dang that is expensive but thanks a lot for that tip. i know pedal effect boards can get pricey. i will look into effects and what not and that line6 you sent me i still got lots to learn im a decent player but just finally getting into amps, cabs, and pedals.

To save yourself a fortune on getting another amp and cab and a shedload of pedals you'll be better off getting a multi-effects processor like the Line6 POD HD500X, particularly if you're planning on doing any gigs. No need to do your back in transporting them to and fro and, most importantly, you won't be limiting your tone to just his. If you have a gig just turn up with it and plug it straight into the PA. Job done.

That's assuming that the Line6 POD HD500X has the exact same amp, cab and effects that he uses of course.

You can pick one up for around £430.

Yup, it's expensive but a lot cheaper than getting the amp, cab and pedals that he uses even if you get them second hand.

And like I said you're not limiting your tone to just replicating the tone of just one guitarist. You've got the exact tones of several guitarists in one box.

• Like 1

+1

Yep, got one and it's the bomb.

You can program different cabs, amps, pedals and other effects on the PC (and assign stomp pedals to each) then when you're done, send it to the HD500x via USB.

You can tweak it directly on the device (or create it from scratch), of course - but it's easier on the PC, if you know what kit you want..  :)

There are thousands of custom tones available to download (some are for lower models, but you can check the config and use this to create your own)..

No, I don't work for Line6..  ;)

I'd certainly get one if I had the cash for it. I'm REALLY happy with my Digitech RP255 which is a great multi-effects pedal in its own right and I dare say has a good few of the same amps, cabs and some of the same effects pedals but you'd be comparing the equivalent of in gaming terms a Wii U and a PS4.

I'd love to own one, although I'm getting myself a PS4 sometime during the next 4 or 5 months so maybe I'll save up for an HD500X as my next toy on the list lol  :lol:  :P  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
 Will i still get that sound i want with these bad boy pickups   

That depends. Are you also going to buy matching amps and mics and multitrack yourself the way he does? In other words, don’t bother chasing tones you hear on albums. You aren’t going to get them unless you’re also a studio engineer.

• 4 weeks later...