Amplitube 3, who uses it and who can explain it to me like I'm 8 years old

AtGame7

In another thread I asked for a Multi-Effects pedal recommendation and Wepeel was kind enough to send me in a bit of a different direction towards Amplitube 3.  I've spent a little time looking that over and am not really sure I understand it, but it looks interesting.

Can someone dumb that down for me as to what I really need to make it work for a beginner who really just wants to get in the neighborhood of songs/riffs sounding like they should?

Do I need the StealthPlug, is that where to start?  What about a pedal?  Which piece of software do I start with because it looks like they offer a ton? 

Can someone just dumb this down for me so I can start sounding like Slash already instead of John Denver (not that there is anything wrong with that).

You can use your Rocksmith realtone cable, and you wouldn't need any pedals to start.  They sell optional "accessories" like the stealth pedal (acts like a wah pedal or volume pedal), the iRig Blueboard (acts like a 4 pedal pedalboard, where you can assign each button on the Blueboard to control a pedal inside Amplitube), and some other accessories.

None of the accessories are needed to start though, as everything can be controlled with your keyboard and mouse.

I would suggest starting with Amplitube 3, as it contains all of the other versions of Amplitube (Amplitube Fender, Amplitube Metal, Amplitube Jimi Hendrix, etc).  If you download it you can try it free for either 9 or 11 days (I can't remember which) so you can check it out with no commitment.

I can send you a pdf book that I downloaded that runs through Amplitube 3 and all of it's amp and effect models.  It explains a lot of how it works (it helped me a lot) and tells you what the real-world equivalent of some of the pedals inside Amplitube are.  A lot of the effects pedals are renamed so they don't have to worry about patent infringement.

Check out these videos as well, they might give you some better insight:

• Like 2

The Stealthplug is essentially a realtone cable with a headphone jack on the side of it.  You can use it, but there are easier and probably cheaper ways to do it.

If your computer has a headphone jack, or an audio out port, you can use that to connect to your amp.  Depending on the model of your fender amp, you might need a small converter to convert the 1/8" audio cable to a 1/4" size.  If you have a Mustang 1/2/3 amp or any amp with an AUX input, then you wouldn't need the converter.  Here's a picture of the kind of adapter I'm talking about (they're like $1-5, depending on where you buy them):

http://www.computercableinc.com/ccinc/images/ADAPTER-Audio-3-5mm-Female-to-2-1-4-inchMale-CWholesale-30S1-02300.jpg

So then all you would need is an audio cable that is long enough to go from your computer to your amp, and your Rocksmith realtone cable.  That's how I got started.  

OK, doesn't seem to be a demo that I can find, only the option to buy for $99.99 (which I don't mind doing) and an option to download something called Custom Shop.  I downloaded and installed Custom Shop but it doesn't appear you can actually play through that, I'm assuming it's an add on for Amplitube 3, correct?

OK, doesn't seem to be a demo that I can find, only the option to buy for $99.99 (which I don't mind doing) and an option to download something called Custom Shop.  I downloaded and installed Custom Shop but it doesn't appear you can actually play through that, I'm assuming it's an add on for Amplitube 3, correct?

Yeah, Custom Shop is where you buy all the gear for Amplitube.  

OK, well, i installed Amplitude 3 and am using a Rocksmith RealTone cable that came with the 2014 version an the latency makes this unusable currently.  I have to change the buffer to 2048 to get a decent sound, but the latency is very large when I do that.

Any thoughts?

About the Latency, you need to download/install Asio4all.

Asio appears only in the configuration menu of software that uses it.

It must be configured in Amplitube Settings, and in the windows taskbar

Asio takes exclusivity of the sounddriver, so you can only play through Amplitube.

There is an alternative to Amplitube, and thats Guitar Rig 5, which seems more professional.

Many café artists use it in public performances.

No wonder, it's a Native instruments product.

They give a free Guitar Rig 5 player which you might try.

OK, well, i installed Amplitude 3 and am using a Rocksmith RealTone cable that came with the 2014 version an the latency makes this unusable currently.  I have to change the buffer to 2048 to get a decent sound, but the latency is very large when I do that.

Any thoughts?

You want the buffer to be as small as possible.  Mine is set to 128.  Check the Master output level, and the gain settings inside Amplitube if you're getting a lot of static.  Also check the device settings for your real tone cable (Windows settings).

Amplitube%20Settings.png

You don't need to use ASIO4all.  I don't use it.  Also, Guitar Rig 5 is incredibly non-user friendly and is in my opinion nowhere near as good as Amplitube.  But everybody is entitled to their own opinion. 

Still no luck with the latency, it's terrible.  It has to be an Amplitude setting because I did install Guitar Rig 5 and there is no latency at all.  I do agree Guitar rig 5 is not as user friendly and I think I'd prefer to use Amplitude, but this latency thing is a deal breaker.

Have you tried reducing the buffer and checking the gain settings?  Also, have you rebooted your computer since installing Amplitube?

Depending on the specs of your computer, you may have to close other applications to free up resources for Amplitube as well.

Also, make sure you have the most up to date drivers for your sound card on your computer.

Any basic generic sound chip like Realtek needs Asio4All for all Music software (CUBase, Ableton, Fruity Loop and the plugins)

Amplitube is also a plugin.

Setting up Asio can be tricky : Here is how it should look somehow, First click on "Panel", follow the red arrow, the green arrows show

the "play" button that activates in and output devices.

After this you should not have any latency problems, even if Amplitube quality is set to Hi.

Med, Eco buttons make it less demanding on the hardware.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/390c/yoc89eoanscwj31bg.jpg?size_id=4 http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/5f7b/ts3khk76o54dc8abg.jpg?size_id=5

• Like 1

Any basic generic sound chip like Realtek needs Asio4All for all Music software (CUBase, Ableton, Fruity Loop and the plugins)

Amplitube is also a plugin.

Setting up Asio can be tricky : Here is how it should look somehow, First click on "Panel", follow the red arrow, the green arrows show

the "play" button that activates in and output devices.

After this you should not have any latency problems, even if Amplitube quality is set to Hi.

Med, Eco buttons make it less demanding on the hardware.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/390c/yoc89eoanscwj31bg.jpg?size_id=4 http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/5f7b/ts3khk76o54dc8abg.jpg?size_id=5

VERY much appreciated as it is working now.  My setup options aren't exactly like yours, but close enough I could get it finally figured out.

Again, thank you!

I guess yet another good reason to use a Mac.  I don't need ASIO4all.  Amplitube works perfectly out of the box on both my Macbook Retina and my Mac Mini.

I'm absolutely in agreement with this, I have bought my last Windows machine for sure.  I really hate to become an Apple fanboy and don't want to start that argument here, but I'm becoming the very thing that pissed me off most about Apple users.  When anyone would ask them why they prefered their Mac to a PC they would simply reply "It just works".  That used to piss me off to no end.  What do you mean it just works?

Well, after years and years of my PC NOT just working i have finally figured out what they mean and will be joining them soon.  My daughters IPAD works, my iPhone works, my wife's iPhone works, my PC, not so much. 

Mac vs PC; latency is just a matter of sound-card,

And on the PC, you have solutions for all, emulators for all, and no Big Daddy telling you where to store files, what applications are allowed, what's humor and what's not.

The Ipad works, because you are limited to what "they" allow, the PC not so, because we are free to use it as we like.

:ph34r: No thanks to any kind of domination, protectionism and censorship from the 1%. :ph34r:

There's no "Big Daddy" telling me where to store files, or what applications I can and cannot use.

Why I don't like Apple and it's products? Because they consider users immature, on Ipads, you can't see that data files are stored in the subdirectory of the application, and if you erase the application... Peripherals are too expensive, same for cables.

In fact all problems on Apple products have One solution : you pay the Cie,

That's why it has become too big, such as influencing information.

Don't put me on trial, read this and follow the bread crumbs to what lies beneath.

• Like 1

There's no "Big Daddy" telling me where to store files, or what applications I can and cannot use.

Why I don't like Apple and it's products? Because they consider users immature, on Ipads, you can't see that data files are stored in the subdirectory of the application, and if you erase the application... Peripherals are too expensive, same for cables.

In fact all problems on Apple products have One solution : you pay the Cie,

That's why it has become too big, such as influencing information.

Don't put me on trial, read this and follow the bread crumbs to what lies beneath.

Maybe you should read these before you claim Apple is any worse than Microsoft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/02/12/2321228/this-isnt-the-first-time-microsofts-been-accused-of-bing-censorship

Also, google "Microsoft Censorship" and read about how they censor internet search results, including on-going censorship in China.  At least Apple only censors what it sells in it's own ecosystem (iTunes store, App store, etc) and complies with government censorship laws.

Anyway, this topic is about Amplitube, not Mac vs. PC.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Microsoft, Google, and others are any better. But they keep their system open.

I'm avoiding them as can be, and I support small organizations. I'm writing here on Opera 12.16, best browser ever made.

And I didn't start the PC / Mac arguing.

Your conclusion to go for Mac because of Asio4all is, well lets say , sarcasm, or nonsense

I made my contribution to this thread, while you still fail to inform us what wonderful soundcard and system is yours, and how much it costs to claim nobody needs Asio4all because you don't need it.

You judge down Guitar Rig also, well yes, Mac, Ipad Apps, Amplitube, they all have such cute poppy designs, but Guitar Rig (you fail to describe its negative points)  which I'm not using because I'm not a pro, no need to switch views, all your settings are on a front board, well yes, footpedals don't look like footpedals.

Read my posts again.  I never said "go for Mac".  I said the lack of needing a secondary audio driver was another reason why I (meaning me) was glad that I used a Mac.  I also never said anything against Guitar Rig except that I found it less user-friendly than Amplitube, which was relevant to the OP because he was asking about how to use Amplitube.  I also stated very clearly that I use a MB Retina and a Mac Mini.  The specs are public knowledge and easy to look up.  No need to list them in a thread when they aren't relevant to the topic.

I own Amplitube and Guitar Rig.  I prefer Amplitube because it's more user-friendly and has more official models than Guitar Rig.  It's also easier to configure (works straight out of the box vs having to fiddle with various settings to get Guitar Rig to work).

And you did start the Mac vs PC argument with your comments about "Big Daddy" and "censorship".

Anyway, try and stay on topic next time.  If you want to talk PC vs. Mac start a thread in the off-topic section and we can continue this discussion there.