Favorite Strings to Use?

AbadMonster

Ernie ball power slinkys, thickest I can get.

Why my Rocksmith colored neon strings of course.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uTvF1XskL._AA160_.jpg

Thats fucking awesome. I thought about this since I got rocksmith, it would be really cool to have them in RS colors. I don't need that anymore now but Id probably still get them just because they look cool. How are they to play, how often do they need to be changed, hows the sustain etc?

I use Elixir Polyweb. I can't seem to wear them out. I play about 2.5 hours every day. I used to have a couple sets of the colored strings but they seemed marginal at best out of the box and were completely dead in a couple weeks. Ernie Ball seemed ok. polywebs seem absolutely corrosion proof.

• Like 1

I have given the Ernie Balls a try but I stick to the D Addarios .10.

Ernies got marked where contact is made on the frets and they look less shiny to me, not bad at all but I like the D Addarios more.

I also tried DR strings, standard ones and the Dimebag Darrel signatures. I noticed DRs once unwind on the 4th string which I did not like. The DR signature didn't hold tune well on my Jackson with floyd rose bridge.

On my classical guitar I use mainly D Addario Pro Arte, but I was given a set of Augustine blue strings as a gift and they are really good to. 

On bass I just installed a set of DR fat bottoms marcus miller signatures, they are supposed to be one of the best bass strings out there from what I read in reviews. They sound really good against my first ever bass set from Gk argentinian made strings that they were crappy and the cheapest available since I was new to bass didn't care much.

Ernie ball power slinkys, thickest I can get.

Thats fucking awesome. I thought about this since I got rocksmith, it would be really cool to have them in RS colors. I don't need that anymore now but Id probably still get them just because they look cool. How are they to play, how often do they need to be changed, hows the sustain etc?

They're alright.  Color fades on them after a while, but I kinda like the worn look that they have when that happens.  The sustains aren't great on the medium weight strings, but are passable.

I love this strings

http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/104567.jpg

I was using those for several years when they came out. Until I found Elixir Nanoweb  . I have been using the same strings for over a year and they still sound and play great.

I was wearing out a set of Blue Steel in a month.

http://www.elixirstrings.com/MungoBlobs/606/986/electric12077-front133.png

I use 9-42 strings only.  Both my Horizons came set up for those gauges and there are no luthiers or skillful techs for hundreds of miles up north where I live.

Just found a seller on Ebay selling these in 2 packs either 9's or 10's for 15.99 so grabbed a pack of 10's

Guitars: ESP LTD F-54 Bass, Tanglewood Curbow4 Bass, Stagg BC300-N Bass, Yamaha BBN5bk (5String), ESP LTD AX-360, Plus a cheapo no name acoustic

Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky - 9's. Why? Because EB is a sponsor in Rocksmith, I broke a string, and it's what the guy a the guy at Guitar Center recommended.

I'm a rank and disgusting newbie, so I should definitely be buying cheaper strings. I don't break 'em because I'm rocking out so hard - I break 'em fooling around with the tuning and action on my guitar.  :???:

If you want cheap strings then I highly recommend you get some Harley Benton Value Strings from Thomann.de if you live in Europe. They're 78p per set. They're not the best strings in the world for obvious reasons but they sound pretty good. They lose their tone quicker than more expensive brands so if you change your regular brand strings once per month you'll probably want to change them every week or two but at that ridiculously cheap price it really isn't a problem.

Not too sure if they deliver outside Europe though.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question guys...

As a relative newbie to guitar playing, I'm really not that knowledgeable about strings and such. If, for a change, I wanted to ridiculously downtune my guitar and play Cannibal Corpse or something of that style, is their a particular type of string I should use?

Quick question guys...

As a relative newbie to guitar playing, I'm really not that knowledgeable about strings and such. If, for a change, I wanted to ridiculously downtune my guitar and play Cannibal Corpse or something of that style, is their a particular type of string I should use?

Thicker ones. You'd have to make some adjustments to put on thicker strings, though. Like you'd probably have to adjust the nut. If you've got a good shop around, they could do it for you though.

• Like 1

Quick question guys...

You're better off getting a baritone guitar. You're going to need one sooner or later, might as well get one today... :-P

But yeah, like flummi says, if you put thicker strings on, you'll have to have the nut sluts cut to fit -- that requires specialized tools. And you'll end up needing to tighten the truss rod. You can probably get away with putting on a set of 11s without reslotting the nut.

• Like 1