Booze Mega-thread!

Longstreet

Greatest drunk thing ever.

Yesterday for the first time I saw "Drunk History".  For those unfamiliar, they get someone absolutely blasted, and then film them discussing a historical topic.  (Al Capone, Billy the Kid, the Gold Rush, etc..etc..etc)

Then they show the typical reenactment you'd come to expect from the History Channel, only the actors are mouthing the words that the shitfaced narrator are saying.

The actors in the reenactment part are typically well-known.  Jack Black, The Wilsons (Played the Kellogg brothers) Tina Fey, etc.

I'd go to youtube and search for drunk history Lincoln Assassination.

It gets better as YOU drink, too.

unfortunately I almost do not drink beer/alcohol :lol: :lol: (maybe few times per year only on very special events)

:lol:

After testing I found out one time that after drinking a little bit of wine I got about 15% less accuracy in playing CDLC's :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

I've pretty much given up drinking now. I used to have a bit of a problem with drink which started when I had a breakdown whilst I was at University aged 21. I was drinking 15-20 pints a day every day. Had to leave Uni  because I had problems with my grant and was also homeless for a few weeks and stayed with friends until I got somewhere sorted out.

I then started working behind the bar in a biker's pub and continued to drink, by that time I had increased my intake by 5 pints on average. Was there for about 10 years and hate to think about how much damage I've done lololol

Haven't got any embarrassing stories though because I'm a pretty sensible drunk lol. The only thing I can think of is that I agreed in front of witnesses to wear a French Maid's outfit for my band's first gig!

I haven't completely given up but it's VERY rare that I drink, and when I do it's only a couple of pints at the most.

When I was at my peak I could quite happily go on drinking sessions lasting 24-36 hours without sleep and without drugs to keep me going. :shock:

So cute when americans talk about beer :lol: :lol: :lol:No offense! But on my vacation last year in the US the best beer I drank was "Tyskie" (polish) but also Sam Adams was ...well... drinkable for your defense.I really don't want to attack someone and everybody has it's own taste and that's ok! My fault is that I was born in poland and grow in germany, both are huge "beer nations", so I'm very sophisticated concerning beer. And let me tell you: the (probably) best beer in the world is "Rothaus Tannenzäpfle"!

About other alcoholics: I love "Hendricks Gin", heady french wine and single malt scotch... everything in moderation of course ;)

Stone Brewing makes epic beers.  Arrogant Bastard has already been mentioned and is phenomenal but also look for Ruination IPA.  

Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA is great.

Lagunitas Maximus is also new favorite.

so many other good IPAs out there.  If you like beer, do yourself a favor and find a specialty shop and try some of the different microbrews.

Dude anyone who says America isn't a beer nation is drinking in the wrong places. There are so many microbrews that are awesome and generally available . If you think American beer is just "OK" at this point you either are drinking the mass market crap from the big 5 or so (you think Sam Adams is drinkable? That's just America's warm up act at this point.) or haven't been to America since the 90s when the situation WAS very sad. This beer snobbery from Europe has got to stop. I've drank beer from Poland and Germany. It's OK. It's better than the Korean beer. But when I'm back in the US you come see me, we'll go to Colorado and I'll show you what Europe is missing. Btw of the top 10 beers on Beer Advocate only 1 is from Europe at all. And it's number 8 on the list Trappist Westvleteren 12 from Brouwerij Westvleteren in Belgium. The other 9 are from the US. 

• Like 2

Exactly the reaction I expected for my skit. Fun's over when we talk about beer...I was last year my first time there and know about the massively growing microbrew szene. My brother in law is actually microbrewer and give us a taste of his most popular brews... so I absolutly know what I'm talking about. And of course I tasted all the mass market crap. How else should I learn what the nation drinks? Microbrews are not representative due to their regional limitations. Same for Beer Advocate - c'mon, it's an american community.

BTW: the best selling beer in germany is crap as well ;)

Please also take care on my most important statement:

[...]

I really don't want to attack someone and everybody has it's own taste and that's ok![...]

Taste is nothing you can argue about!

Yeah gloves are off, I'm not arguing taste, I get taste. But when you say

So cute when americans talk about beer :lol: :lol: :lol:No offense! But on my vacation last year in the US the best beer I drank was "Tyskie" (polish) but also Sam Adams was ...well... drinkable for your defense.I really don't want to attack someone and everybody has it's own taste and that's ok! My fault is that I was born in poland and grow in germany, both are huge "beer nations", so I'm very sophisticated concerning beer. And let me tell you: the (probably) best beer in the world is "Rothaus Tannenzäpfle"!

Saying no offense doesn't mean I'm not going to be offended. I am proud of American beer and yes I think your attitude is as big a problem as anything or maybe it's a language barrier. "So cute"? My god what a patronizing statement. I know beer. I love beer. I probably know more about beer than the vast majority of people. I can describe the chemical processes of beer production to you in detail. Saying that Germany and Poland make better beer than the US is like saying Germany and the US make better cars than the Japanese when they objectively don't. And your argument about beer advocate being an American site is just a strawman argument. The people on the site care about beer and many of them often go to great lengths to track down beer from outside of the country. If it sucks? They'll let you know. If it's good? Many of them will pay top dollar to get more. And while we're on the subject,  I've had Tyskie. Its not very good, sort of a burnt caramel flavor. Too much corn and although the style usually has a moderate to low bitterness anyway it's just too sweet to be a good example of a Pale Euro Lager. And at almost 20% of the Polish market I'm going to say it's just what you're used to. And I don't mean like "It's a good beer" thick, it had ok lacing on the sides but that underlying sweetness had a very corn syrup taste to it. And the idea that you have sophisticated beer taste? A statement like that after calling American's talk about beer "cute" implies that others on here don't. I'm going to assume that this is either a language barrier or you're just trolling and it's working because god I don't get pissed off like this over much but for fuck sake this is European arrogance at it's best right here. 

• Like 1

Almost anything from Unibroue (U Blonde, La Fin du Monde, Maudite, Blanche de Chambly mostly)

Black Label (the plain old 5% one)

Hoeggarden

Guiness

Aside of that, I'll drink pretty much anything except most of Labatt's stuff, especially the Buds (budweiser, Bud Light, etc), they taste like expensive water.

My CDLC Workshop

Feedback is always appreciated! :)

• Administrator

I merged the favorite booze thread with the drinking thread. No sense in having both when the original already asked for favorite drinks.

Mothman is real and he sold me coke in a dimly lit JC Penney's.

Has anyone tried brewing their own..? Was thinking about giving it a go at some point.

Snowdog, brewing is pretty easy.  As @@mjmiller1824 said, the biggest thing to worry about is sterilizing.  You can get started reasonably cheaply.  Go to morebeer.com for some ideas on starter equipment and supplies to make a batch.  I'd suggest starting with dry malt extract brewing.  

Brew day is a commitment so be prepared to spend quite a few hours between setup, brew and clean up.  But, the results are definitely worth it.  

Has anyone tried brewing their own..? Was thinking about giving it a go at some point.

I brew my own, cheaper that way.

Really?  I would have thought differently.  Then again, I guess it depends on where you live.  If you live in the US then I think just buying the mass marketed crap would be the cheapest way to go.  I'm basing this on my own experience roasting my own coffee.  I love good home roasted coffee, but no way is it cheaper than buying the canned stuff at the grocery store, and it's not close.

I pay around $7.00/LB for green coffee beans when you count shipping and that probably yields about 13oz of coffee once it's roasted and the water weight and chaff are out of the picture.  I'm sure I could get a 5LB can for less than two LB's cost me, but if you've never had a truly fresh cup of home roasted coffee you don't know what you are missing out on.

• Like 1

Was just thinking about doing a best bitter or something. Not too sure where to store it though because I have a really small flat. I might wait a while until I move out of the place I'm in.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to say my favorite beers consist of the following:

1.) Blue Moon

2.) Bass

3.) Guinness

4.) Newcastle

What's your favorite?

When I was in Chicago I had the opportunity of drinking a few nice beers. I loved the Guinness with the ball in the can, so creamy.

I also remember the Dirty Bastard whiskey, so alcohol heavy, I remember that with 2 bottles I was kinda drunk and its not easy to get me drunk that fast haha

Blue Moon is really good ale to. To bad this beers are not sold in my country. I miss those liquor stores.

I'm from Czech republic - land of beer, so surprisingly my favourite drink is beer :-) Especially from mini and micro breweries where beers are made by classics handmade methods without any creepy chemistry.

My favourite beer is 12° lager from Slavkov brewery (it is a small village where Napoleon Bonaparte won against Russia in 19th century). And the next one is probably wheat lager from Prostejov.

So guys if you have a chance to visit Czech republic forget about beers made by big breweries (owned by Heineken etc.). Try unknown brand of beers - much better ;-)

Grinding the guitar strings in Rocksmith since 2012 with Gibson LPJ, Ibanez RG350DXZ and Cort Action V bass