How to add custom songs on Mac

yunodie

Question

@@fabbr, did you make sure that Cherub Rock downloaded properly into your dlc folder?  Sometimes there's a delay if you purchased it in the Steam store and then launched RS right away.  The easiest way to confirm is to check the song list to see if it's listed and playable.

Also, not being able to access the store from within the game is normal while using RSInjector.  the Steam overlay is disable when RSInjector is used to open the game.  I usuallly just use the Steam store inside the Steam app to purchase my dlc.

If you have Cherub Rock properly downloaded and you're able to play it, then there are a few things to try out:

1.  Make sure that the customs you downloaded use Cherub Rock as their AppID.  Most of the songs here do, but some don't.  If you go to the record page on this forum for the songs you downloaded it will say on the information page.

2.  If you downloaded songs from other sites/torrents I would get rid of those as they may be corrupted to begin with.  

3.  Read the comments of the songs you downloaded to see if any users have reported problems with them.

4.  If you downloaded the Mac versions of the songs you are trying to use from this site, try downloading the PC version and converting it yourself using the Toolkit.  A lot of older customs that were converted with older versions of the Toolkit hang in the game.

If none of the above help, let me know and we'll go from there.

@@fabbr, did you make sure that Cherub Rock downloaded properly into your dlc folder?  Sometimes there's a delay if you purchased it in the Steam store and then launched RS right away.  The easiest way to confirm is to check the song list to see if it's listed and playable.

Also, not being able to access the store from within the game is normal while using RSInjector.  the Steam overlay is disable when RSInjector is used to open the game.  I usuallly just use the Steam store inside the Steam app to purchase my dlc.

If you have Cherub Rock properly downloaded and you're able to play it, then there are a few things to try out:

1.  Make sure that the customs you downloaded use Cherub Rock as their AppID.  Most of the songs here do, but some don't.  If you go to the record page on this forum for the songs you downloaded it will say on the information page.

2.  If you downloaded songs from other sites/torrents I would get rid of those as they may be corrupted to begin with.  

3.  Read the comments of the songs you downloaded to see if any users have reported problems with them.

4.  If you downloaded the Mac versions of the songs you are trying to use from this site, try downloading the PC version and converting it yourself using the Toolkit.  A lot of older customs that were converted with older versions of the Toolkit hang in the game.

If none of the above help, let me know and we'll go from there.

You're correct. I downloaded a lot of songs from other sites (torrent pack) and seems like they corrupt the whole game. I took them out of the dlc folder and it worked again. 

I then downloaded a song from here and it worked perfectly. So I just need to re-download the songs that I really want. 

Thank you so much for the help :)

How do I add custom songs on my Mac version of Rocksmith? I do not understand any tutorial ..

Hi, First Time user...

First, thank you for such a clear set of instructions. I've purchased Rocksmith 2014 and now would like to try the CDLC. Following the original directions I made it up to the point "download and install RSToolkit".  It appears rscustom.net is gone (404). Is there a new link out there? Anyone else having this issue?.

Thanks Again!

**** UPDATE **** Found link in other part of forum and now all the links are working. 

Note: I started out on a PS3. However moving over to my MAC once I saw the amazing library of CDLC.  Just wanted to clear up I am on mac now.

Hi, First Time user...

First, thank you for such a clear set of instructions. I've purchased Rocksmith 2014 and now would like to try the CDLC. Following the original directions I made it up to the point "download and install RSToolkit". It appears rscustom.net is gone (404). Is there a new link out there? Anyone else having this issue?.

Thanks Again!

Note: I started out on a PS3. However moving over to my MAC once I saw the amazing library of CDLC. Just wanted to clear up I am on mac now.

Sorry, I think that was my fault. Looks like somehow the link got some extra characters added at some point that were making it invalid. I've corrected it now.

Hey Guys, 

I am new to Rocksmith. I am setup on the Bass path. I downloaded a mess of songs, did all of the steps, and they're all propigated within Rocksmith. No problems there. I see some of the songs have a big "X" on them, I presume that to mean that they're un-usable on my current path. No problem. I have like 800 songs here. 

What's happening is that, for some of the songs, (They were previously converted to mac format in the torrent file) there is no audio when you select the song, nor CD cover. On about 90% of the songs, when I go to select the song, the app hangs, and i need to wait about 10 seconds, then click, not press on the control button which takes you to the Path selection, and them I am allowed to try another song. Most don't work. 

Any ideas why this is happening? 

Thanks in advance, 

Tony

Hey Guys, 

I am new to Rocksmith. I am setup on the Bass path. I downloaded a mess of songs, did all of the steps, and they're all propigated within Rocksmith. No problems there. I see some of the songs have a big "X" on them, I presume that to mean that they're un-usable on my current path. No problem. I have like 800 songs here. 

What's happening is that, for some of the songs, (They were previously converted to mac format in the torrent file) there is no audio when you select the song, nor CD cover. On about 90% of the songs, when I go to select the song, the app hangs, and i need to wait about 10 seconds, then click, not press on the control button which takes you to the Path selection, and them I am allowed to try another song. Most don't work. 

Any ideas why this is happening? 

Thanks in advance, 

Tony

I would get rid of any songs you got from torrents. Most of them are old and riddled with problems. You're better off with current, updated customs from here.

I'd also recommend adding songs in small batches instead of adding 800 all at once. Sometimes customs conflict with each other and cause problems. It's easier to find problem customs when you add them and verify them in smaller batches.

• Like 1

Hi Wepeel and thanks for the guide, great job.

I manage to get cDLC work on my Mac (Yosemite 10.10.2) but I have a problem with RSTookit : I can not start it.

- I have installed Mono 3.10  , using wfaulk link.

- I have download the latest RSToolkit using the link you provide (now is rev 838c30c3cb - 2015-04-01)

- I have untar the 'Mac.tar.gz' file and obtained the 'RocksmithCustomSongToolkit.app' application.

Now I can't start this app, my mac say something like 'application broken or incomplete' 

I have try other revs from RSToolkit download page ( rev ca31b7ec14 - 2015-03-31 and rev d27f290053 - 2015-03-19 ) and the result is the same, the app is broken.

I have tryed to untar the files using guntar , same result.

What I'm doing wrong ?

Please help or give me a pointer, as I need to use RSTookit. There are so few cDLC for mac that converting from PC version is a must.

Thanks in advance. 

. . .

To convert PC customs to Mac version:
  • Download and install Mono (do this first, it will save you from having problems later -- See below for which version to use)
  • Download the latest version of the RSToolkit: http://www.rscustom.net/builds
  • Open the Toolkit, (be patient, it can take up to 20 minutes for it to open the very first time)
  • Click on the "Converter" tab
  • Source is PC, Target is Mac
  • Click on "Choose DLC To Convert" and navigate to where you downloaded the cDLC to.
  • Click "Open"
  • Wait anywhere from 3-30 seconds for the file to convert. Generally, if it takes longer than 60 seconds then there is a problem with the custom and it won't convert. You need to Force Quit the app (press Command + Option + Escape). If you notify the charter who created the cDLC they will generally help you out by converting it on their end, or updating/fixing their posted version

To Install Mono:

It seems the Toolkit requires two specific versions of Mono in order to work (which version depends on which OS you have).

For Mavericks users, you need to get version 3.4.0 (the below version of 3.10.0 may also work, but I have not confirmed this).

For Yosemite users, wfaulk has posted this corrected version of 3.10.0:

As to the Converter, Xamarin has been shipping a known-broken version of Mono (v3.10.0) for a month or so now. (See http://stackoverflow.com/a/26685351/147202) There's a fixed version available for download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrjnv7p8zj1rh5u/MonoFramework-MDK-3.10.0.26.macos10.xamarin.x86.pkg?dl=0 (linked indirectly on the StackOverflow page).

Installing this version of Mono allowed me to run RocksmithCustomSongToolkit.app.

It's nothing that you're doing wrong, it's a problem with the last few versions of the Toolkit.

I'm using revision 89a5cb2f, which is working fine.  I just did a quick check and it doesn't look like it's up on the RScustom site anymore, so here's an upload of mine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ongd4aunfuhid0b/RocksmithCustomSongToolkit.zip?dl=0

• Like 1

It's nothing that you're doing wrong, it's a problem with the last few versions of the Toolkit.

I'm using revision 89a5cb2f, which is working fine.  I just did a quick check and it doesn't look like it's up on the RScustom site anymore, so here's an upload of mine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ongd4aunfuhid0b/RocksmithCustomSongToolkit.zip?dl=0

It Works :)  thank you :)

Do you think (as I do) that this is a build problem of latest versions of the Toolkit ?

If this is the case, the dev guys at RScustom are aware of the problem? I do not know how to report this problem (or bug) to them, do you know how this can be done ?

Again, thank you :)

Hi everyone. I've been using rocksmith CDLC from this site since last fall sometime on my mac.  Everything has been lovely.  I've only downloaded from this site and do most of the conversions myself with the toolkit (I was using one from jan/feb until downloading a new beta last night). 

I had around 200+ CDLC tracks and things were working fine.  Occasionally I'd find a track that didn't work and I'd move it out of the folder to come back to later.  Unfortunately, sometime in the last month everything sort of blew up.  Some cover art was missing in the song list and no tracks would load past the speakers showing up (not just the occasional track).  So I removed any new songs and it didn't work.  Eventually I went through my entire library and got it to 153 tracks that load correctly and had already played in the past.  So, things seem to be fine with that set.

I keep trying to download new tracks and some work and a lot don't anymore.  Specifically, but not limited to, Rush's "The Analog Kid".  If I have only that CDLC in my library (and regular paid DLC) then the track loads fine.  If I add it as track 154, everything breaks.  Anyone know why that is or the best way to debug the situation?

I saw earlier in this thread: "I'd also recommend adding songs in small batches instead of adding 800 all at once. Sometimes customs conflict with each other and cause problems. It's easier to find problem customs when you add them and verify them in smaller batches." from @@Wepeel.  I've clearly been doing that debugging, but how do I figure out the conflict between this new track and all the previous 153?  And once I've found it, how do I fix it?

Thanks! I'm loving playing my bass again with Rocksmith and all these extra tracks!

• Like 1

@evanbernstein:

Have you actually verified that there are no problems with the cDLC you already have in the folder?  No duplicates tracks (v1/v2 of the same song, etc), no tracks with the same name, or customs that didn't convert properly?

There's no hard limit (seemingly anyway) to the number of customs you can have in the folder at any one time.  I have 224 in my folder right now, plus all of the RS1 songs and a ton of the official DLC.  I think I have close to 450 total tracks.

Artwork that fails to load is usually a sign that customs are conflicting with each other.  They can also conflict with official on-disc songs and dlc as well.

Give this thread a read-through too, and see if you have any of the problem songs on the list:

http://customsforge.com/topic/4863-list-of-crashers-jammers-dead-toners-and-misc-problems/

Hi everyone. I've been using rocksmith CDLC from this site since last fall sometime on my mac.  Everything has been lovely.  I've only downloaded from this site and do most of the conversions myself with the toolkit (I was using one from jan/feb until downloading a new beta last night). 

I had around 200+ CDLC tracks and things were working fine.  Occasionally I'd find a track that didn't work and I'd move it out of the folder to come back to later.  Unfortunately, sometime in the last month everything sort of blew up.  Some cover art was missing in the song list and no tracks would load past the speakers showing up (not just the occasional track).  So I removed any new songs and it didn't work.  Eventually I went through my entire library and got it to 153 tracks that load correctly and had already played in the past.  So, things seem to be fine with that set.

I keep trying to download new tracks and some work and a lot don't anymore.  Specifically, but not limited to, Rush's "The Analog Kid".  If I have only that CDLC in my library (and regular paid DLC) then the track loads fine.  If I add it as track 154, everything breaks.  Anyone know why that is or the best way to debug the situation?

I saw earlier in this thread: "I'd also recommend adding songs in small batches instead of adding 800 all at once. Sometimes customs conflict with each other and cause problems. It's easier to find problem customs when you add them and verify them in smaller batches." from @@Wepeel.  I've clearly been doing that debugging, but how do I figure out the conflict between this new track and all the previous 153?  And once I've found it, how do I fix it?

Thanks! I'm loving playing my bass again with Rocksmith and all these extra tracks!

This happened to me too. Everything was fine for me and with absolutely no changes on my part, the game started locking up, not showing album art and all that. I ended up removing a bunch of tracks and I think I have a set that now works alright. But, when I do add some new tracks, the error often returns. I've also tried all of the usual fixes. The weirdest thing is I would be adding songs back in that I knew were good and worked previously, and I would still get the error eventually. There was no rhyme or reason to it that I could find. Anyways, sorry that you are dealing with this too and I hope we can get it figured out eventually.

OK I think I found my answer...

http://customsforge.com/topic/901-how-to-use-custom-dlcs-in-rs2014/

**For those who have 2 hard drives, and Rocksmith is installed not in the boot drive but in the second one.**

You need to create a symlink in the ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/

pointing to /Volumes/<otherdrive>/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common

All works again.

by Andybi

I've been through the steps multiple times on my Mac (10.9.2). I'm able to see the 7 or 8 CDLCs in my song list, and when I highlight one it plays the audio preview, so seemingly all is well; but the game crashes when attempting to play any of them.

The one thing that I believe is the problem: when I launch RSInjector (no matter what folder location I place it in), with Steam open and the game selected, the game does not launch. I can see RSInjector in my Activity Monitor, but I have to launch Rocksmtih2014 manually. I tried re-downloading it. Does the fact that CDLC shows up in the song list indicate that RSInjector is working properly?

My Steam library is located on a separate drive from my MacOS system files -- does the game have to be in the default install location (i.e. under ~/Library/ etc.) in order for RSInjector to work? Or do I have the misfortune of having downloaded only non-working Mac packages of the songs? 

I'm on the verge of either giving up completely or downloading the Windows version of the game. Neither appeals to me. I've just wasted too much time with this. 

In other news, the Toolkit seems to run just fine using Mono. The UI told me the 3 or 4 PC to Mac conversions worked successfully but I can't play them in the game. 

Thank you for any ideas.

same thing is happening to me as far as that they show up in my playlist and can hear the preview but crash the game right after tuning. i dont really understand the two hardrives thing i mean i have a mac air so i dont even really have a harddrive. someone help!!

Okay I'm having problems with certain converted CDLCs not working and causing the game to crash. I've got the Mono for Yosemite 10.10 (I'm running on 10.10.3), and I have the most updated ToolKit. The files will successfully convert from PC to Mac format and I will put them in the dlc folder. The package ID for the songs is Cherub Rock and that's selected at the conversion. The songs will show up on the Learn a Song selection screen, but when I select them: crash. Any suggestions?

Okay I'm having problems with certain converted CDLCs not working and causing the game to crash. I've got the Mono for Yosemite 10.10 (I'm running on 10.10.3), and I have the most updated ToolKit. The files will successfully convert from PC to Mac format and I will put them in the dlc folder. The package ID for the songs is Cherub Rock and that's selected at the conversion. The songs will show up on the Learn a Song selection screen, but when I select them: crash. Any suggestions?

It's a showlights issue. If you have a pc, i would convert the cdlc on that. I've had this issue with a few songs and converted them with my pc and then they worked fine. I'm not sure if it's a mac toolkit issue or just a toolkit issue in general. Although, the latest toolkit build is working fine for me when converting cdlc's. It could be the customs themselves, you could ask the charter to convert them for you and see if that works.  :D

• Like 1

can some one help me ?

i did this but it dosent works....

i try to find you what i need do to more but i'm a lil bit newbe....

thank

There are better, more detailed instructions on the first page of this thread that will tell you everything you need to do. That video is missing a few crucial steps. For instance, you need to purchase an official DLC in order to get custom songs to work. Cherub Rock is the recommended one to buy.

can some one help me ?

i did this but it dosent works....

i try to find you what i need do to more but i'm a lil bit newbe....

thank

There are better, more detailed instructions on the first page of this thread that will tell you everything you need to do. That video is missing a few crucial steps. For instance, you need to purchase an official DLC in order to get custom songs to work. Cherub Rock is the recommended one to buy.

yeah that's work  thank

i didnt take the time to read all those line the first time :D

Any update on this? Im having the same problem. I found a custom that was mac only and it works fine, but any ones i convert just crash the program as soon as it gets past tuning

Any update on this? Im having the same problem. I found a custom that was mac only and it works fine, but any ones i convert just crash the program as soon as it gets past tuning

What version of the Toolkit are you using?

Try this one:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtowc44nlckn1n5/RSToolkit.zip?dl=0

This is the revision I use, and it works fine to convert files.  Some of the later revisions after this one cause the game to hang with converted files.

Also, just to eliminate it as a cause, make sure you've actually purchased Cherub Rock.  It has to be licensed to you in order for customs to work.