How to add custom songs on Mac

yunodie

Question

207 answers to this question

I'm a complete newbie.  I got up to Step 8 of the original instructions but I'm not even able to download the customs.  I would click the green download button of the custom on that mediafire page but it would only put the file in the downloads arrow on the top right of page.  When I click the link there to actually download it, a launch application window would pop up that says "this link needs to be opened with an application".  I tried to choose Steam from the list of apps but didn't work.  I tried RSInjector too, just to try it out but with no luck.  

The security setting is already set to allow app downloads from "anywhere".  I've read carefully and done the step by step instructions.   Do I need to change something in the settings that would allow me to download customs to begin with?

Am I missing an app I'm supposed to have? :huh:

Any help would be great.  Thanks :)

I'm a complete newbie.  I got up to Step 8 of the original instructions but I'm not even able to download the customs.  I would click the green download button of the custom on that mediafire page but it would only put the file in the downloads arrow on the top right of page.  When I click the link there to actually download it, a launch application window would pop up that says "this link needs to be opened with an application".  I tried to choose Steam from the list of apps but didn't work.  I tried RSInjector too, just to try it out but with no luck.  

The security setting is already set to allow app downloads from "anywhere".  I've read carefully and done the step by step instructions.   Do I need to change something in the settings that would allow me to download customs to begin with?

Am I missing an app I'm supposed to have? :huh:

Any help would be great.  Thanks :)

Make sure you're clicking the correct download link on the mediafire page, or try a different custom that's hosted on a different filesharing site.

There are no missing settings or apps that you need to download the customs, you should be able to download them in your browser like any other download.

Ok I tried to dl other customs with different filesharing site..... zippyshare, dropbox... it does basically the same thing.  It would ask to choose which app to use to open the file for download.  When I download, the files are either in binary files with p.psarc or m.psarc extensions.  I was able to download Cherub Rock from the ignition page and played it just fine.... I also downloaded another paid song Supermassive Blackhole by Muse, though I haven't played that yet.   Am I just not able to download custom downloads from Customforge??  I'm feeling a little dejected :( ...  Any help would be awesome.

Update:  I just tried to play the new song I bought and downloaded - the Supermassive Black Hole by Muse - and it plays fine but now I can't find the Cherub Rock song from the list in Learn A Song.  Cherub Rock is in the list of DLC in Steam, though.  I looked for that hidden dlc folder in my Finder and now the only song that's there is Supermassive Black Hole one.  Cherub Rock is gone...

Update again:  Nevermind.  I found Cherub Rock and put it back in the hidden dlc folder in my Finder.  Now it's back in Learn A Song in RS.  Now back to my original problem of downloading CDLCs....  Anyone?

Whenever the promt window launches when you click the custom link to download and it asks whether to save or open the file with an app...can you guys tell me what app yours is set on??  I might be missing that particular app to download m.psarc and p.psarc files

You don't open or run the custom files. Just save them and then move them from the downloads folder into the dlc folder. Then, with Steam open, run RSInjector to start the game.

• Like 1

Lol. Well that worked perfectly.  I think I could literally cry of happiness right now.  Now I'm back on track.  I've only gotta do the conversion steps now.  Hopefully I won't have any problems there.  Thank you so much @@Wepeel!! You're the best!

I'm glad you got it working.  Converting is pretty easy.  Just follow all of the steps listed in the instructions.

Some users have been reporting problems with the latest version of the Toolkit not converting songs properly though.  If you run into any problems, try this version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtowc44nlckn1n5/RSToolkit.zip?dl=0

It's a few versions old, but it's the one that I use and I haven't had any problems with it.

• Like 1

Hey guys ! 

I just did ALL the steps said and to theoritically works find. Except I downloaded two paramore songs and it was max difficulty when I'm just a beginner. I can't change it. Is it normal or is there something not working how it's suppose to ?  Please help :(

Not all customs have dynamic difficulty (usually referred to as "DD" here).  If the bar at the top that shows the difficulty level is short and thin and all orange, then there's no DD.

You can ask the charter to add DD to it for you in the comments for the song.

It's technically possible to add DD yourself using the toolkit, except that the toolkit doesn't have full Mac support and packing/unpacking functions don't work.  And since those functions are essential to creating and editing customs, us Mac users are out of luck.

I'm attempting to get CDLC to work in Rocksmith 2014 via Steam for Mac. I've tried running OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) as well as Snow Leopard and Yosemite (all resulting in the same error). I see the same issue I'm experiencing mentioned all over the boards/web but I've yet to find a resolution. Following the steps in the CustomForge guide, I downloaded CDLC from Ignition in both Mac format and Windows format (for the latter, I converted the files to Mac). Having bought the Cherub Rock DLC via Steam, I moved said files to Rocksmith's DLC folder. I start Steam and subsequently try to run RSInjector, however, I'm consistently presented w/ the following error message: The application “RSInjector.app” can’t be opened." I've enabled the use of apps from all sources in Mac's preferences pane. But even when I open the contents of the app and attempt to execute the file via Terminal, I'm told "Operation not permitted", despite having full administrative rights on my computer. Because of this, I attempted running Rocksmith directly (as opposed to via the Injector) and notice that tho the CDLC populates in the song list and even plays previews, when I attempt to "Learn a song", after I finish tuning, the screen does not progress any further. I'm simply presented with a set of speakers from which I can produce sound by strumming my guitar but am unable to proceed with seeing any notes for the song I want to play. I can play the regular songs that come w/ the game and Cherub Rock just fine tho. I really want to learn the songs I downloaded as CDLC as there are no alternatives currently available via the Rocksmith store and I'm not at a point yet to where I can read many tabs. Can someone please help me?

specs: 3.1gHz, 16GB ram, i7

Does anyone know if RSInjector utilizes legacy software like PowerPC? If so this might explain why Mac refuses to execute it. I tried looking at the script directly and parse out what it's doing, but a majority of it does not seem to be human-readable.

I'm attempting to get CDLC to work in Rocksmith 2014 via Steam for Mac. I've tried running OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) as well as Snow Leopard and Yosemite (all resulting in the same error). I see the same issue I'm experiencing mentioned all over the boards/web but I've yet to find a resolution. Following the steps in the CustomForge guide, I downloaded CDLC from Ignition in both Mac format and Windows format (for the latter, I converted the files to Mac). Having bought the Cherub Rock DLC via Steam, I moved said files to Rocksmith's DLC folder. I start Steam and subsequently try to run RSInjector, however, I'm consistently presented w/ the following error message: The application “RSInjector.app” can’t be opened." I've enabled the use of apps from all sources in Mac's preferences pane. But even when I open the contents of the app and attempt to execute the file via Terminal, I'm told "Operation not permitted", despite having full administrative rights on my computer. Because of this, I attempted running Rocksmith directly (as opposed to via the Injector) and notice that tho the CDLC populates in the song list and even plays previews, when I attempt to "Learn a song", after I finish tuning, the screen does not progress any further. I'm simply presented with a set of speakers from which I can produce sound by strumming my guitar but am unable to proceed with seeing any notes for the song I want to play. I can play the regular songs that come w/ the game and Cherub Rock just fine tho. I really want to learn the songs I downloaded as CDLC as there are no alternatives currently available via the Rocksmith store and I'm not at a point yet to where I can read many tabs. Can someone please help me?

specs: 3.1gHz, 16GB ram, i7

Does anyone know if RSInjector utilizes legacy software like PowerPC? If so this might explain why Mac refuses to execute it. I tried looking at the script directly and parse out what it's doing, but a majority of it does not seem to be human-readable.

RSInjector works fine on Mac, and I can confirm it works on El Capitan as I upgraded today. It runs without issue on Mavericks and Yosemite as well.

Follow the steps outlined in the 2nd post of this thread and you should be up and running in no time.

• Like 1

Opening the console log, I see this. Any idea why?

10/1/15 5:38:30.000 AM kernel[0]: exec of /Applications/RSInjector.app/Contents/MacOS/RSInjector denied since it was quarantined by The\x20Unarchiver and created without user consent, qtn-flags was 0x00000047

Thanks for the reply btw. If worst comes to worst, I'll simply do a fresh install.

10/1/15 5:38:30.000 AM kernel[0]: exec of /Applications/RSInjector.app/Contents/MacOS/RSInjector denied since it was quarantined by The\x20Unarchiver and created without user consent, qtn-flags was 0x00000047

Thanks for the reply btw. If worst comes to worst, I'll simply do a fresh install.

Where did you download your version of RSInjector from? The link I posted in the instructions is an uncompressed app. If you downloaded it in a zip/rar file from somewhere else that's probably your problem.

Where did you download your version of RSInjector from? The link I posted in the instructions is an uncompressed app. If you downloaded it in a zip/rar file from somewhere else that's probably your problem.

I used the link provided.

I'm seeing that others have experienced what appears to be a bug but I've been unable to solve it. Thanks to your post, I can at least determine that it's not my OS update or the app.

http://www.cnet.com/news/workarounds-for-quarantine-bug-in-os-x-lion/

Wepeel, to be clear, when I download the file from your provided link, it is suppose to be in "zip" format as well, correct? That's what I'm receiving.

Wepeel, to be clear, when I download the file from your provided link, it is suppose to be in "zip" format as well, correct? That's what I'm receiving.

That article won't be relevant to your problem.  That was a bug in OS X Lion that has since been resolved.  Also, RSInjector doesn't open in any sandboxed apps.  It basically just forces Steam to run RS2014 in debug mode which is what allows cdlc to run.

I'm wondering if it's a DropBox problem.  It didn't used to download the file as a zip, it would download it as a straight app.

Try this link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhmocw8rcbjda26/RSInjector.zip?dl=0

I compressed the app myself and reuploaded it.  I also redownloaded it and can confirm it works fine on my system after unzipping.

That article won't be relevant to your problem.  That was a bug in OS X Lion that has since been resolved.  Also, RSInjector doesn't open in any sandboxed apps.  It basically just forces Steam to run RS2014 in debug mode which is what allows cdlc to run.

I'm wondering if it's a DropBox problem.  It didn't used to download the file as a zip, it would download it as a straight app.

Try this link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhmocw8rcbjda26/RSInjector.zip?dl=0

I compressed the app myself and reuploaded it.  I also redownloaded it and can confirm it works fine on my system after unzipping.

Thanks for all your help. I'm still receiving the following error: "The application “RSInjector.app” can’t be opened."

Weepel, I got it working! Due in no small part to your help in narrowing down the cause! Looking back at the console log, I had the idea to try another unzipper (aside from "Unarchiver" as it was mentioned in the log). It was your mentioning that originally the RSInjector app was not supposed to be zipped (but I suppose Dropbox automatically zips some files now to conserve space) that got me thinking about it. I deduced that Unarchiver appears to sign this particular file w/ a bogus quarantine tag (one that I struggled to get around even w/ sudo in terminal). The solution ended up being a simple one -- using another app to unzip (in my case: "Stuffit Expander" did the trick). Again, thank you so much. I already tested out a few songs! Hopefully this will help others who bumped into a similar issue!

P.S. I'm trying to learn programming by the way (currently working through several MOOCs on Coursera/eDX/etc). Would love to be able to put together a program like the one you did here someday. Clearly you've made a lot of folks happy! Regards!

: )

• Like 1

P.S. I'm trying to learn programming by the way (currently working through several MOOCs on Coursera/eDX/etc). Would love to be able to put together a program like the one you did here someday. Clearly you've made a lot of folks happy! Regards!

: )

I'm glad you got it working :)

However, I can't take any credit for RSInjector.  It was here before I was.  In fact, I used to play on Windows before RSInjector came around.

All I did was put up the instructions on how to get everything working on Mac.  You have Xavatar to thank for the patch.

• Like 1