How to add custom songs on Mac

yunodie

Question

So by and large I have gotten everything working. However, I run into three problems.

1) Some of the songs don't appear in my songlist, even though they are in the proper format and in the proper folder (the same location with other songs that are working).

2) Some songs won't convert in toolkit (specifically, Don't Let Me Down and Oh Darling by the Beatles).

3) One song (Something by the Beatles) opens but doesn't play. It is a full band version of the song, does that make it unplayable? 

Does anyone know how to resolve any of these? 

Thank you. 

So by and large I have gotten everything working. However, I run into three problems.

1) Some of the songs don't appear in my songlist, even though they are in the proper format and in the proper folder (the same location with other songs that are working).

2) Some songs won't convert in toolkit (specifically, Don't Let Me Down and Oh Darling by the Beatles).

3) One song (Something by the Beatles) opens but doesn't play. It is a full band version of the song, does that make it unplayable? 

Does anyone know how to resolve any of these? 

Thank you. 

#1 - This happens sometimes.  Make sure you're letting the list fully enumerate before going into "Learn A Song" mode.  Sometimes restarting the game also helps.  However, the main cause of songs not showing up in the list is a conflict with another song.  The only way to find out which songs are conflicting is to remove all of your customs and add them back to the dlc folder in small batches.  You can also check out this thread to avoid future problems:  http://customsforge.com/topic/4863-list-of-crashers-jammers-dead-toners-and-misc-problems/

#2 - Make sure you're using the latest version of the Toolkit and have the proper version of Mono installed (version 3.4.0 for Mavericks, and the version posted above in this thread for Yosemite).  I converted those two Beatles songs without any problems.

For other songs that won't convert (it does happen sometimes) ask the charter to post a converted version.

#3 - Try re-downloading and/or re-applying the Cherub Rock AppID using the Toolkit.  If that doesn't work, it could be a conflict with another song.

• Like 1

I'm having a hell of a time finding the folder. most of the other steps work, I've got injector to work, but every time i put in Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Rocksmith2014 into go it says that it doesn't exist? 

edit: nevermind i managed to find the folder. thanks anyways

I'm having a hell of a time finding the folder. most of the other steps work, I've got injector to work, but every time i put in Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Rocksmith2014 into go it says that it doesn't exist? 

You have to type it in exactly as "~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Rocksmith2014"

If you leave out the "~/" you won't find the folder.

I've completed all of the listed steps but when i open the game the songs won't show in the songbook.

Double check and make sure you've done everything correctly.  The most common thing people skip is having Steam open prior to launching RSInjector.  If you launch RS through Steam instead of RSInjector the songs won't show up.

Also make sure that your customs are in the dlc folder and that you've download the Mac versions (end in "_m.psarc").

I installed everything smoothly, but the songs don't appear on Rocksmith (bought).

When I look in my DLC folder (where my purchased Cherub Rock is located) I notice a difference between the files I dragged in and Cherub Rock.

Same here :(

What difference are you noticing?

Finder will sometimes display a different icon and the "Kind" column may show either "Document" or "Unix Executable File", but that's just because Finder doesn't know what the files actually are.  It makes no difference once the game is loaded.

Just make sure that you have Steam open before launching RSInjector, and that you've downloaded (or converted to) the Mac versions

of the customs.  They need to end in "_m.psarc".

The other thing that sometimes helps is to launch RS normally (i.e. launch through Steam, without RSInjector) to make sure it's loaded up Cherub Rock properly.  Then quit and launch with RSInjector.

I've been through the steps multiple times on my Mac (10.9.2). I'm able to see the 7 or 8 CDLCs in my song list, and when I highlight one it plays the audio preview, so seemingly all is well; but the game crashes when attempting to play any of them.

The one thing that I believe is the problem: when I launch RSInjector (no matter what folder location I place it in), with Steam open and the game selected, the game does not launch. I can see RSInjector in my Activity Monitor, but I have to launch Rocksmtih2014 manually. I tried re-downloading it. Does the fact that CDLC shows up in the song list indicate that RSInjector is working properly?

My Steam library is located on a separate drive from my MacOS system files -- does the game have to be in the default install location (i.e. under ~/Library/ etc.) in order for RSInjector to work? Or do I have the misfortune of having downloaded only non-working Mac packages of the songs? 

I'm on the verge of either giving up completely or downloading the Windows version of the game. Neither appeals to me. I've just wasted too much time with this. 

In other news, the Toolkit seems to run just fine using Mono. The UI told me the 3 or 4 PC to Mac conversions worked successfully but I can't play them in the game. 

Thank you for any ideas.

OK I think I found my answer...

http://customsforge.com/topic/901-how-to-use-custom-dlcs-in-rs2014/

**For those who have 2 hard drives, and Rocksmith is installed not in the boot drive but in the second one.**
You need to create a symlink in the ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/
pointing to /Volumes/<otherdrive>/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common
All works again.
by Andybi

@@Wepeel

Thank you for this tutorial.  I have just recently decided once and for all to switch to a Mac and probably would not have even loaded the game on this new laptop if not for this tutorial.

Thank you sir.

Thank you for the kind words, and I'm glad I could be of help.  Enjoy gaming on your new Mac :)

I'm struggling here.

I have successfully played some CDLC that was in the Mac format, so everything there works well. But when I try to convert from PC format to Mac, I can't even get the Toolkit to launch. I've tried various Mono builds and Toolkit builds. I'm on OS X 10.10.1. I've reset the computer before and after installing/uninstalling Mono and the Toolkit. 

Any help? Which version combos (Mono and Toolkit) are working for you?

You should always try and use the latest version of the Toolkit.

As for Mono, if you're using OS X Mavericks you need version 3.4.0, and if you're using Yosemite you need this corrected version of 3.10.0 (which was posted on the first page of this thread):

As to the Converter, Xamarin has been shipping a known-broken version of Mono (v3.10.0) for a month or so now.  (See http://stackoverflow.com/a/26685351/147202) There's a fixed version available for download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrjnv7p8zj1rh5u/MonoFramework-MDK-3.10.0.26.macos10.xamarin.x86.pkg?dl=0 (linked indirectly on the StackOverflow page).

Installing this version of Mono allowed me to run RocksmithCustomSongToolkit.app.

• Like 1

I've already tried these - the "better" version of Mono and te stable build of the Toolkit. Are you saying I should try the developer build of the toolkit? Shall I install one before the other?

Thanks a ton, btw - this is an incredible community.

I'm using version 6d3271c341b7 (released Jan 4) and it works fine for me.  I'm running Yosemite with the fixed version of Mono 3.10.0.

Did you uninstall the previous versions of Mono using the script provided on the Mono website?  You have to make sure that your user account on your Mac is an Administrator account, and that you've allowed 3rd party apps to run.

Also, it's worth mentioning that if it's the first time you've ever run the Toolkit, it can sometimes take a while for it to launch.  The app icon will just bounce in the dock for a while before launching the app.  I've had it take up to 20 minutes before.  After you've run it the first time it should open up immediately every other time though.

I tried everything on this list and in multiples sites / videos and I really could use some help.

I have the RS2014 (bought) from Steam

I purchased Cherub Rock

I have some CDLC on the correct folder.

I have downloaded the injector. 

When I open Stem and run the game using the injector I notice that the Steam community doesn't load and that I can't access the STORE inside the game because it tells me that I need to enable in game steam community something. (i'm not sure if this information is relevant)

I can see the songs I downloaded on the song list. I can see the album cover and the preview plays. 

When I start the song, I get the Tuning screen, when I'm done tuning the guitar I see both speakers and that's it. The game is still running be I don't see the frets and the music doesn't start. 

Any suggestion? I really want to make this work, that's the whole reason why I purchase RS2014.