Could we go to jail for making a CDLC of a song?

The Singularity

Question

11 answers to this question

Nope, there is a fair use clause in the Copyright act, which CDLC falls under, you will see the message below on each CDLC record in the database.

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976; Allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use. No copyright infringement intended!

The only problems to you, and to the website, is people providing customs of official songs, and paying someone (Or being paid yourself) to create CDLC.

Nope, there is a fair use clause in the Copyright act, which CDLC falls under, you will see the message below on each CDLC record in the database.

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976; Allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use. No copyright infringement intended!

The only problems to you, and to the website, is people providing customs of official songs, and paying someone (Or being paid yourself) to create CDLC.

so we cant get charged or taken to Jail if we upload a unofficial song and arent getting paid? what about the song that you upload? even if it is unofficial dosint it still belong to someone?....

So um here is my take on this. I own the songs I chart. As in legally purchased. Now, if you,the person downloading my customs also own the audio, legally, as is highly recommended in the site rules, there is no issue, none whatsoever. Now, if you do not own the audio, well that's on you not me. The fair use thing should also apply here since it is a learning tool.

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

So um here is my take on this. I own the songs I chart. As in legally purchased. Now, if you,the person downloading my customs also own the audio, legally, as is highly recommended in the site rules, there is no issue, none whatsoever. Now, if you do not own the audio, well that's on you not me. The fair use thing should also apply here since it is a learning tool.

I think that "ownership" may not be so relevant to the Fair Use, but it's probably more relevant on the creator side.   Of course, if you are using one of the less than legal methods of acquiring your source material....  that's an entirely different set of legal problems one may face.   However, on the CLDC Downloader side, "owning" the content is not necessary.  As a learning tool, it's not a whole lot more different than grabbing tabs.   Like tabs, CDLC's are an interpretation of the original work.  Several months ago, when SA went out, I heard wind of a torrent file somewhere with a bunch of the CDLCs - not a bootleg of the game, just customs.   So long as no money was changing hands, that would have been a perfectly legal folder to share.  

If I'm making money by teaching kids guitar, using my customs, which I happen to do, would that be illegal ?

If the bank is busted and I can't have my money back, but I still have to pay back my debt is that illegal?

As a born Freebird, I'd rather follow David Icke's philosophy : I don't give a shit. :lol:

• Like 2