Skip tuning in RS2014?

akitosh

Question

First post here since the move from SA, but I wanted to see what everyone thought about this since this sounds like a CDLC solution. I own a tronical tuner device which automatically tunes my guitar to the selected tuning. RS2014 considers every tuning it does to be about an eighth of a step off, just enough that it won't let me pass the tuning screen. At first I thought it was a problem with the tuner, but I decided to adjust it mid-song and found the settings on it to be more accurate and give me more consistent detection of my notes than I had before, which leads me to my main idea/question. Is there a way to either disable the RS2014 tuner or skip it? I know Rocksmith 1 had an auto tone changer that could be configured to determine how the tuner worked or skip it altogether. Is there any such method for skipping the tuner in RS2014?

11 answers to this question

I have a Tronical as well.  I don't have any problems with it tuning though.  Try using the precision tuner inside RS, or verify again that your Tronical is tuning accurately.

You should also make sure you've calibrated your guitar correctly inside RS (press "enter" on the tuning screen to calibrate) and that your guitar's volume is at 100%.

Also, what gauge of strings are you using?  The Tronical works best with 10's or higher.  It doesn't really like 9's.

I have a Tronical as well.  I don't have any problems with it tuning though.  Try using the precision tuner inside RS, or verify again that your Tronical is tuning accurately.

You should also make sure you've calibrated your guitar correctly inside RS (press "enter" on the tuning screen to calibrate) and that your guitar's volume is at 100%.

Also, what gauge of strings are you using?  The Tronical works best with 10's or higher.  It doesn't really like 9's.

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been able to test this til now.

I'm using Ernie Ball regular slinkys (10-46) and I always have my volume dialed to 11 :) jk, its at 100%. The tronical is actually pretty accurate as I've been able to compare it to piano and a tuning pedal and its extremely close to perfect. I even adjusted the tronical's accuracy level to max which made it on the dot.

Rocksmith however thinks its out of tune. I've calibrated already and did it a second time to make sure. Precision tuning seems to be where the issues come in; as long as it isn't in precision tuning mode, it accepts the level the tronical tunes it to, but the moment I go into precision tuning mode, it thinks its inaccurate by +20-25 for each string, which also happens automatically when I switch to a song that requires a different tuning.

Anyone have any other ideas? Any way to skip the tuning like the hack was able to in the original Rocksmith?

I did a bunch of googling and I couldn't find a way to skip the tuning.

You're right about the RS tuner being off though.  Have you ever noticed how it "pulls" the meter down to the mark once it gets within 3-5 cents of being in tune?

And when I compare the tuning in RS to what my Snark clip-on tuner shows (on my guitars without the Tronical), it's always off by 10 cents or so, usually on the sharp side.

I'm sure it's like this on purpose though, so that there's some tolerance for error with cheaper machine heads.

On a side note, are you tuning with the Tronical inside the RS tuner?  Or are you doing it first before you start the song (so from the Learn a Song menu screen) and then having to make adjustments?  Also, what kind of guitar do you have it installed on?  Hard-tail, or something with a trem?

I did a bunch of googling and I couldn't find a way to skip the tuning.

You're right about the RS tuner being off though.  Have you ever noticed how it "pulls" the meter down to the mark once it gets within 3-5 cents of being in tune?

And when I compare the tuning in RS to what my Snark clip-on tuner shows (on my guitars without the Tronical), it's always off by 10 cents or so, usually on the sharp side.

I'm sure it's like this on purpose though, so that there's some tolerance for error with cheaper machine heads.

On a side note, are you tuning with the Tronical inside the RS tuner?  Or are you doing it first before you start the song (so from the Learn a Song menu screen) and then having to make adjustments?  Also, what kind of guitar do you have it installed on?  Hard-tail, or something with a trem?

Yeah, I ran into the same with my googling; some rocksmith 1 stuff, but nothing for RS2014. Wonder what it would take for someone to hack the game to do it?

Regarding the pull down, I see that occasionally as well, but I think I'm right over the limit for that; when I first pluck the string, its about +18; as it rings out a bit, it goes between +20 and +25 before settling somewhere in the middle of that. When it hits 18 for that split second, the little circular thing goes around about halfway.

I've tried both regarding using it in or out of the RS tuner. I did it about an hour in advance as I was playing with an amp in Eb tuning, then hooked it up to RS2014 for a bit and it didn't like the tuning. Let it retune with the tronical, but it didn't change much; not enough to get me past the RS tuner anyway.

As far as the guitar, it's a les paul studio custom. I've mulled over getting something with a trem and just putting a tremel-no on it; this would make dealing with the retuning easier for the majority of what I play, but I've already got 3 guitars and I hate the idea of buying a tronical and not being able to abuse it. I'll make use of it during jam sessions I'm sure, but it would be awesome if it also worked with this.

Think I'm gonna poke around the file content of the game (I've got the PC version) and see if I can find anything interesting.  If you or anyone else has any other ideas, I'm open to trying them.

Something has to be up with either your Tronical, the installation, your guitar, or the strings.  I have mine installed on a 2006 Gibson LP Limited and it works absolutely perfectly.  I have 10-46's on it right now and have no problems tuning it inside RS.

Have you ruled out all the small things?  Like string cleanliness and age, proper installation of the Tronical (are the machine heads seated properly, tightened down properly, free of corrosion, etc), trueness of the neck, calibration of the Tronical, etc?  Did you double wrap the high E and B strings when you installed them?  Are the caps snug enough, but not over-tightened?  Is the battery fully charged?

Sorry for all the questions, etc... just trying to think of anything that could be causing problems.

• Administrator

Isn't there a settings on the tronical to adjust the A of the tuning? That could allow you to adjust the tuning to fit RS requirements.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Something has to be up with either your Tronical, the installation, your guitar, or the strings.  I have mine installed on a 2006 Gibson LP Limited and it works absolutely perfectly.  I have 10-46's on it right now and have no problems tuning it inside RS.

Have you ruled out all the small things?  Like string cleanliness and age, proper installation of the Tronical (are the machine heads seated properly, tightened down properly, free of corrosion, etc), trueness of the neck, calibration of the Tronical, etc?  Did you double wrap the high E and B strings when you installed them?  Are the caps snug enough, but not over-tightened?  Is the battery fully charged?

Sorry for all the questions, etc... just trying to think of anything that could be causing problems.

Thats cool, any ideas I'm open to. I just bought the strings and tronical about a week before my first message. I followed the quickstart video guide online for it, though I've been playing guitar for 15 years, so it wasn't wildly different except the little grooves. And I did double wrap the high E and B strings to avoid slippage. Keep in mind too that I used a digital tuner pedal and a piano (on a keyboard specifically) and the tronical's tuning matched that.

My digital tuner says rocksmith's tuner isn't accurate. I will say I've noticed that some songs don't sound quite in tune with rocksmith's tuning. One that stands out with that issue is 'no rain' by blind melon. Even before the tronical, I found myself adjusting the tuners midsong since it just didn't sound right and this was on my schecter rather than the les paul, hence it's not a neck issue. Oddly, rocksmith doesn't seem to notice this difference in tuning while I'm actually playing the song, just when I'm at the tuner page.

Due to my lack of faith in Steam's ability to update my game without breaking my CDLC, I disabled auto updating for the game in Steam almost immediately when the CLDC scene kicked off. It couldn't be a problem with the version of the game I'm running, could it? And has anyone seen updating break the CLDC?

Isn't there a settings on the tronical to adjust the A of the tuning? That could allow you to adjust the tuning to fit RS requirements.

There is, but it won't overwrite the original tunings; you have to save them in a separate bank or do them on the fly; basically you hand-tune the first string, then you can use the tronical to tune the other strings relative to the tuning you want. This would work, but the tunings that rocksmith says are accurate aren't.

There are a bunch of settings you can fool around with to make sure the Tronical is as accurate as possible.  The default accuracy settings is +/- 2.5 cent.

Here's the official pdf instruction manual/guide for your reference:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77873575/Tronical_Manual_2.12eng.pdf

If it's accurate to a digital tuning pedal, as well as a piano than I would assume it's calibrated correctly.  However, it could be string interference that's causing problems with Rocksmith.  Check out pages 27-37 of that manual and see if any of those settings makes a difference.

I would put the latest updates on. The only side effect I have had from an update was the .DLL being removed (just copy it back) and a bunch of RS1 DLC going walkabout for a couple of hours while that file updated.

This might solve your tuning problems.

There are a bunch of settings you can fool around with to make sure the Tronical is as accurate as possible.  The default accuracy settings is +/- 2.5 cent.

Here's the official pdf instruction manual/guide for your reference:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77873575/Tronical_Manual_2.12eng.pdf

If it's accurate to a digital tuning pedal, as well as a piano than I would assume it's calibrated correctly.  However, it could be string interference that's causing problems with Rocksmith.  Check out pages 27-37 of that manual and see if any of those settings makes a difference.

Actually already changed it to the highest, but thanks. I messed with the string interference a bit, but it doesn't change anything about the sound produced; just made the tronical inaccurate (so I changed it back).

I think I'm gonna reinstall rockmith, let it update all the way, then do the CDLC again. Even considering another tone cable and computer to try, but my only other computer is usb3 only which doesn't work with the custom tone cable (rocksmith 1 version) which I've heard has been fixed in newer cables. Anyways, I'm on slower than hell dsl here, so it may be a few days before I have an update for this. Thanks for all the suggestions.