Rocksmith Optimizing

ReiRo

Question

Hey,

it seems I get a lot of issues with RS not recognizing the notes I am playing. Am I the only one?

I am sure it is not my playing and it happens with custom an original songs. I also use different guitars.

I tried a hardwired compressor to boost the signal but it helped a little...any suggestions or optimization tips

concerning this problem, it is annyoing?

23 answers to this question

I've had this problem.  Here are some thoughts I've worked out on it:

• Fret hand pressure:  I have a constantly reoccurring problem of pressing down on the strings too much.  It causes the notes to go sharp, and then doesn't get read properly by RS.  This is especially prevalent when I'm doing Barre Chords, as I'm trying real hard to get them.  I am constantly telling myself to relax.
  • Arpeggiated sequences:  I have an arpeggiated Am sequence in Peruvian Skies that I always seem to miss the high e string on.  I notice that when I have a few strings ringing out, RS has a hard time hearing that high e.  I've been experimenting with fret hand muting my notes when I get to that high e to give RS a 'cleaner' tone to listen to.  I wonder if it gets washed out.
  • Full strums:  A lot of times, I'll miss a power chord and not understand why.  When I think about my strums, and get a full motion in, I am pretty accurate.  When I get fast, I tend to miss a string or muddy it up, or get strings I shouldn't because I'm failing to mute a string or whatever.
  • Volume Pot:  Sometimes, I'll adjust my volume pot down a bit so I can hear the song better, and forget about it.  Some tones don't have as much amplification as others, and so it will cause RS to not register a note.  So I'm always checking that thing to make sure it's all the way up.

I was at a point where I blamed RS, but I've moved on.  I'm not sure it's blameless, but I do think I'm the problem more often then not.  I agree with checking intonation and string action as well, as a well set up guitar is important.  I'm not saying any of these are your problems, but things to think about, and maybe they'll help others who come here having problems.  I'm quite new to playing guitar, so I tend to think I'm the problem.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Ubuntu Studio FTW

http://ubuntustudio.org/

Thx a lot for your answer I appreciate.

I guess you guys are right and the problem is (at least partially) on my side. I haven't really calibrated Intonation on my guitars for years, when I think about it.

Also my playing tends to be sloppy or I alter a lot when I am riffing chords and am not challenged.

So I would say it is a good think though. After all those years of playing guitar I have to again spend attention on what I am doing.

Cheers

Hey,

yesterday I found the time to check an adjust intonation etc. on my guitars.

Unfortunately it didn't help out much since I then played "Enter Shikari - Sorry You're not a winner" CDLC.

A bunch of notes isn't recognized an I don't struggle with the song, I would go so far to call it rather easy...and in the end there is a part with a lot of chord strumming where I keep missing almost all of them, with different guitars tested...

Very annoying and I come to the conclusion that it only can be bad syncing or sth. of the CDLC(s). I should easily get over 90% with this song and i ended up with about 75%...

It is not that big of a deal cause it is still fun playing along. Nevertheless it would be nice to have the software working properly... :sad:

Someone here who can eventually play the same CDLC without struggling and tell me their experience?

Hey,

yesterday I found the time to check an adjust intonation etc. on my guitars.

Unfortunately it didn't help out much since I then played "Enter Shikari - Sorry You're not a winner" CDLC.

A bunch of notes isn't recognized an I don't struggle with the song, I would go so far to call it rather easy...and in the end there is a part with a lot of chord strumming where I keep missing almost all of them, with different guitars tested...

Very annoying and I come to the conclusion that it only can be bad syncing or sth. of the CDLC(s). I should easily get over 90% with this song and i ended up with about 75%...

It is not that big of a deal cause it is still fun playing along. Nevertheless it would be nice to have the software working properly... :sad:

Someone here who can eventually play the same CDLC without struggling and tell me their experience?

I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it goes.

Ubuntu Studio FTW

I think the problem here is that Rocksmith is a robot -- it doesn't understand anything about the nuances of playing guitar. So when the noteway says plays a chord, Rocksmith wants to hear all of those strings -- even though, a real person playing the guitar will tend to vary the same chord, especially during a repeated phrase, emphasizing certain notes over others and even leaving some of the notes out altogether.

You have a choice: perfect your strumming to 100% robotic accuracy. Or don't sweat it. Focus on listening to yourself play in relation to the music -- YOU know when you've made a mistake and when you've got it right.

A bunch of notes isn't recognized an I don't struggle with the song, I would go so far to call it rather easy...and in the end there is a part with a lot of chord strumming where I keep missing almost all of them, with different guitars tested...Very annoying and I come to the conclusion that it only can be bad syncing or sth. of the CDLC(s). I should easily get over 90% with this song and i ended up with about 75%...

I doubt it has to do with the custom synching - if you see the note on the highway, you play it when it crosses the string. If it is off on how it is displayed (not synched to the song) you just need to play it as it is shown. It could be that it is slightly off and you are playing how the song is supposed to be played (and how you hear it) instead of how it is displayed.If you like the song, don't worry about scoring or seeing the late, miss alerts on screen. Let the creator of the custom know though - there could be others having the same problem and it very well could be a charting issue or a note highway speed issue that could be fixed.

Oh - and I wanted to add that I have problems with note recognition with some of the official DLC also - especially with alternate tunings. Sometimes I think it could be a string issue or just a calibration or active pickup battery change to fix it. I definitely have a tendency to push to hard between frets and sharp the note - I usually can tell this early in the song though and move my fingering up to on top of the fret and a more gentle touch.

Oh - and I wanted to add that I have problems with note recognition with some of the official DLC also - especially with alternate tunings. Sometimes I think it could be a string issue or just a calibration or active pickup battery change to fix it. I definitely have a tendency to push to hard between frets and sharp the note - I usually can tell this early in the song though and move my fingering up to on top of the fret and a more gentle touch.

Alternate tunings. If you see missed notes, pause the game with SPACE and enter Tuner from there. Tune again and check if you're missing the notes. It's sometimes happening to me when I'm not at E standard. I.e. I had hard time with Sweet Mountain RIver (by Monster Truck) on Eb drop db (?) but yesterday with careful tuning it worked smoothly.

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

Do you tune by RS or a separate tuner?  I find I get a way better result if I tune using a snark or other real tuner especially in lower turnings. Also if you are not already mute all the other strings (especially if you are using the RS tuner) that are not being tuned.  I find I get weird harmonic anomalies that will give me false (slightly ) sharp reads if I don't mute the others.  The "calibrate" feature helps a bunch too.  PC even has an override for those levels if you are not happy with what the game decides. 

I play bass so my suggestions may or may not be helpful to you.  My guitarist friend has exclaimed on multiple occasions that there are a handful of specific chords/songs that have poor recognition.  

It is better with bass it seems. I checked it and it was spot on for the songs I tried.

I can not play strictly after RS. I play after the music and even when I try playing like a robot it is screwed up.

Bad tuning should not be the case. I doubled checked and have different guitars for different tunings @home.

If you have the time check the Enter Shikari song as an example. It is weird though since the clean part in the middle is recognized

without a flaw rocksmith-wise. The part in the end, where the breakdown starts is messed up. 

If it is messed up for you too, then it has to be RS or the CDLC and I'm at least sure it is not my playin/rig etc.

It would caress my mind ;)

Cheers

I know this has nothing to do with the problem your having with the Enter Shikari song, but this has bugged me ever since I started playing RS2014.

Most times when I play a note on my low E string RS shows arrows pointing down that I have to play a lower note. If I do play a lower note it's definitely a miss.

I always have to de-tune that string lower and it sounds out of tune but at least it doesn't show up as a miss. Doesn't matter if I tune using the game or my standalone tuner.

It might be my guitar or pickups as I have never heard anyone else complain about this problem.

@@engleg

Thx for the reply. I will look into it. Perhaps I also have to detune slightly since my "misses" mostly happen on the lowest string as well.

I just picked the Enter Shikari song as an example. Every input leading to a better gaming experience is appreciated :)

Most times when I play a note on my low E string RS shows arrows pointing down that I have to play a lower note. If I do play a lower note it's definitely a miss.

Which frets are giving you the most problems? I'm betting this has more to do with your guitar's setup. If the nut isn't cut right -- the string might sitting too high in the slot -- this will throw off the intonation of the first three or four frets. Too much bow in the neck will screw up the intonation of the middle frets. If your intonation is off higher up the neck, that's usually because the bridge saddles aren't set properly.

For the OP: What system are you using? If it's PC there are things you can tweak to make sure the audio is in sync with the video. Go into the Options menu -- there's a little calibration strobe that lets you check the sync.

I play on a laptop, so I've turned off all of the visual effects in the Option menu -- most of them barely seem to affect what I'm seeing anyway.

Also I've noticed if the laptop gets too hot, the sync will get thrown off a bit -- so I bought a cooler pad that works really well. If you're on a desktop, make sure it's getting plenty of ventilation. The game really drives the graphic card hard. Turning off a lot of the visual options will help keep the heat down as well.

All that said, Rocksmith's note recognition is still a work in progress.

Today I kinda figured out why I miss a lot of Chords especially when I palm mute them.

It depends on the strumming. When I play as usual, tight muted and  with a hard strum/attack I miss the notes.

When I loosen the muting a bit the notes are recognized.

Today I kinda figured out why I miss a lot of Chords especially when I palm mute them.

It depends on the strumming. When I play as usual, tight muted and  with a hard strum/attack I miss the notes.

When I loosen the muting a bit the notes are recognized.

I tried out "Sorry your not a winner".  When I could actually hit the chord, it would register fine.  The tail end of that song, I didn't have any problems.  I'm not sure how tight 'tight muted' is, but my palm mutes seemed ok.  Hard palm mute with a floating bridge?  Are you pushing the bridge down and throwing everything sharp?

Another thing I like to do when I'm having a hard time with things registering is to escape out of the song (not riff repeater) and look at the little tone indicator in the lower left hand side.  I'll tweak my tuning there, because sometimes I think rocksmiths tuner gets a little anxious to approve a tune.  I notice it jumps around a bit.  Maybe check that out.  Maybe check those readings (what rocksmith is seeing) vs a real tuner to ensure it's right.  

Anyway, it sounds like you're making headway, which is cool.

Ubuntu Studio FTW

Thx for your effort. I have to try again, especially that part at the end. Strange that everything was fine for you there?!?

For lower tunings I use a guitar with TOM bridge.

I won't give up, I always enjoyed playing along with tunes and RS makes it much more comfortable, even though it's sometimes messed up ;)

Cheers all!

I sometimes go into calibration, and try to trick RS into thinking my guitar is not loud enough. I don't really know if that helps or not, though.

I also have a hard time with pressing the strings down too hard, changing the note. I especially have a hard time with Ducks Redux. It often won't recognize a note I know is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea u had that problem too with ducks redux swore blind it was rocksmiths fault. I wish someone would make an intonation fret run on each string as a cdlc so people know the guitar needs a checkup. Luckily I can do this myself not everyone can though. It would be a great debugging tool that would help new people with intonation probs

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

... I wish someone would make an intonation fret run on each string as a cdlc so people know the guitar needs a checkup....

It's a cool idea, but in practice, I don't think it would work well enough.  You lose a lot of granularity in note recognition, I think and you really need that granularity to check and set it properly.  Additionally, it's easy enough to go into the tools menu and fret some notes to see how intonation is.   The tools menu meter has decent granularity and so it would be a good place to check your intonation if you don't have a good tuner.

Perhaps a tutorial would be a good idea.

Ubuntu Studio FTW